daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 7th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #7721
LeMoN-SK
Regular Fool

Likes (Received): 81

Are those guys installing the vertical metal bars?
LeMoN-SK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2008, 10:27 PM   #7722
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Some views in and around Downtown Dubai

http://www.onetruemedia.com/otm_site...ork_id=6331830

Last edited by Old Town Resident; June 7th, 2008 at 10:32 PM.
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #7723
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Library User View Post
As I understand it, in all the BD building diagrams, the wings point to 12 o'clock, 4 and 8 o'clock which would be 0, 120 and 240, but in the document on Tier Methodology, the real directions the wings face are 60, 180 and 300, and the building entrances in the core tips face 0 (North) 120 and 240.

I'm used to seeing maps where north points to the top, but in all the BD diagrams, it appears that North corresponds to the 2 o'clock position, or 60 degrees clockwise of what I would usually see on a North American map.

Did I miss something ? or what would be the explanation for showing it in this orientation ?

Also, what are the two low ( 5 and 8 storey) triangular shaped structures located at the ends of two of the Podium wings ?

Thank you
Hi Library.

Here is a drawing showing the podium layout. They call the 2 "buildings" the pool annex and the office annex. Uses seem obvious but I would think the pool annex is more than just for a pool. This is the view most prints and drawings have from 120 degrees. North is marked.

Here is something I cooked up ages ago from a drawing from Doka that shows the direction of the wings. The drawing is from the 705 m. version but it is accurate up past tier 17 where I stopped. In this The tiers I have marked are the roofs of that particular wing - they are also the terrace of the tier above. In my methodology I worded it clearly stating this for each tier. This drawing is from ages ago and there wasn't room to put in the relationship between the roofs and the terraces so I made my methodology.

This drawing like most blueprints is from 120 degrees.
I will refer to this drawing here - when I mention tiers it refers to the roof of that wing.
The main wings; A, B, and C face 300, 60, and 180 respectively - tiers 0 to 11.
The core tips face the same as the 3 entrances ( which are all on a different level, but I digress ) at 0, 120, and 240 - tiers 12, 13, and 14.
Tiers 15, 16, and 17 wings face the same as the main wings - back to 60, 180, and 300.
Tiers 18, 19, and 20 wings face the same as the core tips / entrances at 0, 120, and 240.
The next 3; 21, 22, and 23 face the same as the previous 3 - 0, 120, and 240. This is the only time a set of 3 tiers does not rotate 60 degrees from the previous 3 since the main wing tiers.
Tiers 24, 25, and 26 face 60, 180, and 300.

Here is a print I photoshopped to show the start of tier 22 and the shape of tier 21. The terrace faces 0 to start tier 22 then the rest of the tier rises up with 2 wings. I had to shop it up because I don't have a print for this tier.

Tiers 27 to 30 are circular with no wings.

This may help illustrate. It is a print of level 139 - the first level of tier 12. The last setback left of the main wing facing 180 ( bottom left ) is the terrace for tier 12 and also the roof of that wing of tier 11. Levels 140 to 143 of tier 12 are symmetrical with 3 wings.

I hope this makes sense - it does to me.

Perhaps I should have put pics in my methodology but it is all so clear to me.

I'm such a nerd ...

A little long winded but I am trying to make it as clear to you as it is to me.

Old June 7th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #7724
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast View Post
where did you get these pics from ?????
Hi Helghast.

He says where he got it just 2 posts above yours ...

Also I am still waiting for your info on how the render from "the book" is different than the rest and how they are following it and not the plans ...

Old June 7th, 2008, 11:16 PM   #7725
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMoN-SK View Post
Are those guys installing the vertical metal bars?
Yes they are installing the missing pieces on the MF cladding. Can't wait till they're done with it.
BTW nice progress on the second MF
Tag_one no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #7726
Mithat
Just a user

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Library User View Post
I'm used to seeing maps where north points to the top, but in all the BD diagrams, it appears that North corresponds to the 2 o'clock position, or 60 degrees clockwise of what I would usually see on a North American map.

Did I miss something ? or what would be the explanation for showing it in this orientation ?
The coast is facing northwest. Sheikh Zayed Road, which is running parallel to coastline, is usually determining the default axis in Dubai projects, as is the same situation with Burj Dubai. In architecture you don't draw the projects according geographical directions. When it's on paper, it is more important to see how the building sits on city's default grids, rather than seeing the north direction like on a country map.
Mithat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 02:04 AM   #7727
jogiba

Likes (Received): 434

The 108° F on thursday must have felt like 120° F in the shade with the humidity !
jogiba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 02:57 AM   #7728
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbling Dice View Post
Mind your own business.

Or read the post two above your own, dumbass.
who the f**k do u think you are calling me a dumbass ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi Helghast.

He says where he got it just 2 posts above yours ...

Also I am still waiting for your info on how the render from "the book" is different than the rest and how they are following it and not the plans ...

i'm not home yet, but as soon as i get home i will post them
Old June 8th, 2008, 03:16 AM   #7729
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
The spire has more structural importance then people credit it with.

... plus, why CN Tower goes for a further 130 meters up, above the sky pod? Not that it would really concern me because I don't care wither way about that structure, just a note considering the subject was brought up.
Also the fact that the spire still contains structural levels, which can be walked up most of the way by stairs - at least until you have to actually climb up in the spire itself to the very very top.

Most of these levels seem small, but I really think that if they wanted to turn these into livable floors, they could... I cant stress this enough... but look much farther back earlier this year, when that tennis star visited the burj and took a ride to the top and was standing pretty much within the steel structure. It was shorter then, but you can still get an idea of how big it really is if you watch the video and pay attention to the detail by comparing the size of the people to the size of the X beams - probably about 1500sq ft at the level they were at (I think level 159 or 160)

At the height its at now, relative floor space will probably be around 700-900sq ft (the size of my 2bd, 2bath apt), but it looks way smaller than that from ground level of course.
Old June 8th, 2008, 06:18 AM   #7730
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10124

fury-i understand what your saying. its taken a while but people will eventually undertsand BD design.
otr-great shots. i like the frame work on the tier roofs. will compliments each roof. sort of crowns the tier nicely.i suppose they are not only architectural but have a purpose being the frame that holds up the BMU for each tier face.
cheers
Old June 8th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #7731
Axel_F

Likes (Received): 137

For which building is the crane (under construction) in the the Panorama of OTR`s Update 8th May 08? Is it for Burj View V Tower?
Axel_F no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #7732
Downfallen

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
that if they wanted to turn these into livable floors, they could... I cant stress this enough...
...At the height its at now, relative floor space will probably be around 700-900sq ft (the size of my 2bd, 2bath apt)
Lol....there's not that much room up there ( yes I do know how much room there is)
Then factor in the fact of what the closed space will be ( when the walls are fitted around the steel......and any access required for those apartments in terms of lifts and emergency stairs.)

It would be silly to have the smallest, less luxurious apartments having the best views from the whole building.....the people who could afford the view from the top, would expect more from their apartments.

If they made three , four or five levels into one luxery penthouse apartment....that would be an idea
Downfallen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #7733
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfallen View Post
If they made three , four or five levels into one luxery penthouse apartment....that would be an idea
LOL... even a 3 level penthouse would have an astronomical price...
luci203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #7734
LeMoN-SK
Regular Fool

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
LOL... even a 3 level penthouse would have an astronomical price...
Well, yes, but it is 100% that it would get sold. No matter the price.
LeMoN-SK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #7735
Skymyhusband
French dwarf

Likes (Received): 60

flickr, by bentobaki. Exif data are false (Dated july 1st 2005), seems very recent though (june 5th-6th?)

image hosted on flickr

Great shot of the cladded podium & u/c entrance.

Last edited by Skymyhusband; June 8th, 2008 at 08:48 PM.
Skymyhusband no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #7736
Mithat
Just a user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfallen View Post
Lol....there's not that much room up there ( yes I do know how much room there is)
Then factor in the fact of what the closed space will be ( when the walls are fitted around the steel......and any access required for those apartments in terms of lifts and emergency stairs.)

It would be silly to have the smallest, less luxurious apartments having the best views from the whole building.....the people who could afford the view from the top, would expect more from their apartments.

There is around 900 sq. feet up there at the moment. you can assume one side is 12-15m, then do basic math, if you know how to calculate the area of the triangle you will find the answer. I have not calculated it but it should be between 70-90 sq m, very roughly 1000 sq feet. I mean it's not 250 sq feet or something...
Old June 8th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #7737
Mithat
Just a user

and i'm sure there will be people who would like to buy world's highest 1 bedroom penthouse or say loft, even with the steel structure exposed inside, i would buy it if i had the money
Old June 8th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #7738
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

How long would it be estimated to demolish this structure, I mean after like 1000 years even. They can't use dinamites can they?
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #7739
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

How deep is steel structure on top rooted in to the concrete structure underneath?
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #7740
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

lol, this tower is still UC and you're already talking about demolishing . but when the time is ready, believe me...they won't use Dynamit
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae