daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 8th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #7741
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2629

Mithat, thank you for the information, but it's always a pain in the behind for me (and probably quite a few other people) to have to convert it to metric. Can't you please give us international measurements?
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #7742
Mithat
Just a user

Likes (Received): 0

i have given metric units haven't i?

i said one side of the triangle is 12-15m (i think i got the scale right) and the area is around 80 sq metres. it would be much less of course if you exclude the lift, service and fire exit stairs and other services
Mithat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #7743
Skymyhusband
French dwarf

Likes (Received): 60

You give sq feet measures...
Skymyhusband no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #7744
Mithat
Just a user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymyhusband View Post
You give sq feet measures...
I gave them both at the same time because people i am quoting to were writing in imperial units. I didn't give only square feet.

I have just calculated the area of an equilateral triangle with 15m side length. It is 97.4 square metres or 1048 square feet

Last edited by Mithat; June 8th, 2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old June 8th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #7745
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithat View Post
I gave them both at the same time because people i am quoting to were writing in imperial units. I didn't give only square feet.

I have just calculated the area of an equilateral triangle with 15m side length. It is 97.4 square metres or 1048 square feet
That's actually two-and-a-half as much space as my previous apartment (yes, I know that's pretty small, but I'm a modest person and I don't need much space), so it's more than enough for someone to live in it.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #7746
Mithat
Just a user

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
That's actually two-and-a-half as much space as my previous apartment (yes, I know that's pretty small, but I'm a modest person and I don't need much space), so it's more than enough for someone to live in it.
I agree... since the floor heights are above 6m you can add a mezzanine and your bathroom and bedroom could be upstairs and downstairs you can have an enough big lounge/living room and an open plan kitchen. with all the steel visible in front of the 6m high windows. Dont forget the 360 degrees view, the whole floor will be yours... That's what i call a sky loft!

Hey it will be empty right? maybe you can live there without anyone to know it
Old June 8th, 2008, 10:05 PM   #7747
LeMoN-SK
Regular Fool

Likes (Received): 81

Second mechanical floor cladding is well underway.
LeMoN-SK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #7748
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
i have given metric units haven't i?

i said one side of the triangle is 12-15m (i think i got the scale right) and the area is around 80 sq metres. it would be much less of course if you exclude the lift, service and fire exit stairs and other services
No lifts will go up there and the designers have done their home works well before deciding to leave those floors "empty", so all these talk is basically pure fantasy.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #7749
Mithat
Just a user

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
No lifts will go up there and the designers have done their home works well before deciding to leave those floors "empty", so all these talk is basically pure fantasy.
Of course it is fantasy.. it's probably not feasible to bring those expensive general requirements of a habitable floor (like MEP, lifts) that high into the steel only for one small unit. And lots of difficult details to worry about for this absurd space. not worth really
Old June 8th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #7750
AltinD
The Modecator

My post was not related exclusively to you BTW, but the discussion going on in general.
I can cheat you blind.

Old June 8th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #7751
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Here is the approx. size of tier 19. I extended the rectangle past the bottom to make up for the smaller wing down there.

Tier 18 is approx 260 sq. m. as I posted a similar illustration a while ago for it.

[IMG]http://i31.************/10cke1c.jpg[/IMG]

Still a reasonable size house over 650 meters off the ground.

Old June 8th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #7752
Mithat
Just a user

Are there any units for sale in the steel section? I know there will be some habitable floors in there but i'm not sure if those are offices ore just some floors for communication equipment and services? I mean does the main lift go up into the steel section?
Old June 8th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #7753
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

thats a good question, how deep do the steels go into the top of the concrete? also in the pic from the crane looking down onto the steel workers ,it looks like they only put a handful of bolts in the joining plates. is that why its going up so fast lol?
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #7754
LeMoN-SK
Regular Fool

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Are there any units for sale in the steel section? I know there will be some habitable floors in there but i'm not sure if those are offices ore just some floors for communication equipment and services? I mean does the main lift go up into the steel section?
Quote:
LeMoN-SK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 11:51 PM   #7755
Mithat
Just a user

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMoN-SK View Post
exactly.. Altin was talking about the higher levels, where I asked later about the situation at the first 4 steel floors, which will be habitable
Old June 8th, 2008, 11:56 PM   #7756
AltinD
The Modecator

No habitable floors on the steel section. The last one is on the 155th floor on the concrete section that will be Al Abbar's office. On top of that is the 155 Mezzanine floor that is mechanical and serves also as anchor for the steel sections starting above it. The first two steel levels might contain wet dumpers, in the form of giant water deposits.

So yes, on my earlier post I was talking about the steel section in general and not just the upper levels.
I can cheat you blind.

Old June 9th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #7757
Mithat
Just a user

Quote:
No habitable floors on the steel section. The last one is on the 155th floor on the concrete section that will be Al Abbar's office. On top of that is the 155 Mezzanine floor that is mechanical and serves also as anchor for the steel sections starting above it. The first two steel levels might contain wet dumpers, in the form of giant water deposits.

So yes, on my earlier post I was talking about the steel section in general and not just the upper levels.
I remembered I read somewhere there will be 4 habitable floors in the steel part and I found it:

"“It’s 160 total habitable floors, yes,” said Smith, while refusing to disclose the final proposed height of the structure.

Reinforced concrete construction on the structure has been completed, Smith said, adding that workers were now erecting the steel frame, of which, only four habitable floors will be constructed to house communications equipment.

He said no other offices or residential floors will be built beyond those communications floors.

“From there on, it’s the spire,” he said. "

I was confused because he was saying the floors with communication equipment were habitable floors. Anyways I've got my answer, thanks
Old June 9th, 2008, 12:24 AM   #7758
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

- Yes for sure 1 elevator goes up into the steel section.
No units for sale in the steel section - the named levels have communications, mechanical, electrical. After that window washing systems.

Here is 2 more tier sizes.

Tier 12

Tier 21

Old June 9th, 2008, 12:30 AM   #7759
Mithat
Just a user

That means space is not an issue in that decision as the lower steel part has exactly the same area as the top of the concrete. It should be a structural issue, first thing i can think of is the lift core. Maybe they didn't want to do the concrete/steel transition in the lift core?

(I wrote that before reading the previous post, thanks Fury)
Old June 9th, 2008, 01:00 AM   #7760
Axel_F

Likes (Received): 137

Hey Fury, where did you get this blueprints of the floors? Do you have all for every tier? Can I get them, because i want to build a model of BD. Would be nice!
Axel_F no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae