daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 4th, 2007, 03:02 AM   #761
Escoto_Dubai2008
Dubai, 21st Century City

Likes (Received): 411

Excellent pictures Fury and Imre.

Mis Blogs

!Somos seres humanos,....! !Nuestras vidas tienen valor!
Escoto_Dubai2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2007, 03:44 AM   #762
PritzkerGirlzker
Quick Learner/Fast Talker

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident View Post
Hollie, this link is the company that provides District Cooling to the full Downtown area.

http://www.tabreed.com/
Thanks for the link, awesome info!!
Old November 4th, 2007, 04:05 AM   #763
sky6one

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoverOfDubai View Post
The Burj Dubai is 8 kilometres (5 miles) from where this picture was taken. It is not a river but an inlet called Dubai Creek.
i had this old photo below and i thought a river, anyway i love it.

sky6one no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 04:15 AM   #764
sky6one

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
That's not a river that's a lagoune at the tipping end of an natural (sea) creek going deep inland. The same sea creek that it is being extended and it will even be connected back to the sea on the other side, creating a free flow canal.

The extended creek will pass some 1 km away at the nearest point.
i had old photo and i thought it's a river,

i have this photo and it shows that in near future you will have river or still you call it (sea creek)?

Old November 4th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #765
Gattberserk
Smith

Likes (Received): 17

Oh dear, how much is Dubai spenting on this development shown in the map?

Are they too rich or something?

Kingdom Tower of Jeddah
Gattberserk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #766
vari k.
Kosova is ALBANIAN

The world is a sad place....to see what's going on in this city, the development, the money etc...and to see what's going on in some African countries...where many people don't get to see the age of 45

www.urbania21.com/forum
vari k. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #767
A.U.S. arch. Student

Likes (Received): 42

Yes Africa suffers greatly but what is so wrong if a country (Dubai) wants to develop itself; should it give all its wealth to another country and let its people, structure, and process of development suffer. Sheikh Mohammed seems to be very charitable to others outside his Emirate. Sky6one the map of Dubai is outdated all of the Palms have had design changes, Dubai waterfront also has changed in design, and all of those 'creeks' are manmade canals with ocean water.

Last edited by A.U.S. arch. Student; November 4th, 2007 at 08:15 AM.
A.U.S. arch. Student no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 08:08 AM   #768
Krattle

Likes (Received): 12

Dubai didn't make African countries poor. Those in Africa that are poor are that way because they are dictatorships. Frankly, I don't know why we need more evidence of how command economies don't work. Communist China>Poor and 70 million dead, Semi-Capitalist China>growing more affluent by the day. The Africans aren't stupid and nor do they lack resources - they are very, very resource rich. But they can't do anything about it if they are ruled by warlords/dictators/communists or whatever. And some African countries aren't that bad any more. I believe Nigeria is growing quite fast.
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #769
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky6one View Post
i had old photo and i thought it's a river,

i have this photo and it shows that in near future you will have river or still you call it (sea creek)?
this is the Arabian Canal , $61 billion dollars project

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=533235
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #770
Doobedoobai
Looking for world records

It's interesting to see what will happen this month. As soon as they built two or three more concrete levels (IF that will happen), it could shatter current diagrams and estimates of BD's final height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq View Post
hi all ...

why i cant view the las page here?
That's what I also wonder about. At first a was thinking there are a lot of locked threads. But it must be some other problem.
Edit: Ah, this message is displayed so I guess there is no next page, even though the numbered bar below suggests an extra page.
(sorry to be off-topic)

Last edited by Doobedoobai; November 4th, 2007 at 09:42 AM.
Doobedoobai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 11:37 AM   #771
sky6one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
this is the Arabian Canal , $61 billion dollars project

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=533235
Thanks for the informantion,

$61 billion dollars Wow....
Old November 4th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #772
Alweron

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vari karin View Post
The world is a sad place....to see what's going on in this city, the development, the money etc...and to see what's going on in some African countries...where many people don't get to see the age of 45
So it isn't fair, but what can u do? No matter how much money u send to Africa, it will never be as modern and well-being as some other countries without some serious changing of attitude, governmental type and education. That's why the donations alone won't help Africa to get up to its feet. In this world people will never be equally wealthy. There will always be the poor and the rich no matter what u do about it.

Should for ex. Dubai start donating huge piles of money by sacrificing its economy and by doing that, also cause damage to all of its citizens? That would be insane.
Alweron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #773
taboe
taboe

Likes (Received): 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krattle View Post
Dubai didn't make African countries poor. Those in Africa that are poor are that way because they are dictatorships. Frankly, I don't know why we need more evidence of how command economies don't work. Communist China>Poor and 70 million dead, Semi-Capitalist China>growing more affluent by the day. The Africans aren't stupid and nor do they lack resources - they are very, very resource rich. But they can't do anything about it if they are ruled by warlords/dictators/communists or whatever. And some African countries aren't that bad any more. I believe Nigeria is growing quite fast.
What a shallow view on things you have...

- Europeans (democracies) plundered and exploited almost every African country for centuries, until well into the 20th century, afterwards leaving them in chaos. You don't need a dictator to ruin a country.
- civil wars are often a result of the artificial borders we forced upon them.
- there were never communist countries in Africa.
- Nigeria is on the virge of a civil war, Lagos has one of the most terrible slums in the world, Nigeria has a corrupt government, etc. Not a very good example, I'd say
- 'they' are not at all very, very resource rich! You seem to think Africa is one big country, but a lot of regions are barren as hell and very poor on resources, Mali for example.
- the point wasn't that Dubai made Africa poor, but that it's a bit dubious that they're throwing money into the water by building ridiculous things like palm-shaped islands, while millions of people are dying of famine... I know it's not gonna change, but it's something to think about when cheering for all these multibillion dollar projects that are often a waste of money...

(Anyway, sorry for going off-topic everyone, had to say this...)
taboe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #774
qwert_guy
Not Registered

Likes (Received): 293

oh sad to hear from africa...maybe someone can post another thread for this africa topic...
qwert_guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #775
Gattberserk
Smith

Likes (Received): 17

What the point of saying and arguing all these things?

There were always be the rich and the poor. End.

Anyway, so can anyone tell me when will this thing start rising again? Its awfully slow and we know the height didn't increase that much at all in the entire month of october.

Kingdom Tower of Jeddah
Gattberserk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #776
Sander-
21st century citizen

Likes (Received): 3

Awesome new pictures! And this time the cladding progress is very visible also Cant wait to see it all cladded up....!

PS: Where's the mods; these last few pages needs some cleaning up...
Sander- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #777
Cambumbo 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboe View Post
What a shallow view on things you have...

- Europeans (democracies) plundered and exploited almost every African country for centuries, until well into the 20th century, afterwards leaving them in chaos. You don't need a dictator to ruin a country.
If europeans didn`t colonized Africa, odds are that Africa will be probably more poor than it is today. Yes, Europe stoled diamonds, ivory, wood and exploited the natives, but it also put in place thousands of kilometers of railways, dams, factories and so on. Overall, the good points offset the bad ones.

Ethiopia was the only country that was not colonized and guess what, it is one of the poorest african countries nowadays.

Quote:
- civil wars are often a result of the artificial borders we forced upon them.
There are artificial borders everywhere and you don`t see civil wars between Quebec and Canada, or Catalonia and Spain.

Quote:
- there were never communist countries in Africa.
Well, I think you are right. But we can neither say that true capitalism was put in place in Africa. Monopolies doesn`t count.

Quote:
- 'they' are not at all very, very resource rich! You seem to think Africa is one big country, but a lot of regions are barren as hell and very poor on resources, Mali for example.
There are ten times more african countries with resources than african countries without them. Btw, Mali has Timbuktu; a place that could be exploited very well (tourism). And look at Japan, it is a rich country and yet, it is isolated from the rest, it doesn`t have oil and it is very overcrowed.

[/QUOTE]
- the point wasn't that Dubai made Africa poor, but that it's a bit dubious that they're throwing money into the water by building ridiculous things like palm-shaped islands, while millions of people are dying of famine... I know it's not gonna change, but it's something to think about when cheering for all these multibillion dollar projects that are often a waste of money...
[/QUOTE]

50 years ago, Dubai was a poor city. They just embraced capitalism and made intelligent decisions and became rich. It is not about giving crumbs to the poor, it is about pushing them to the extremes so they can open their eyes one day.
Cambumbo 300 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 04:40 PM   #778
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

Back to topic please! that is not a thread about Africa!!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #779
twickline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobedoobai View Post
It's interesting to see what will happen this month. As soon as they built two or three more concrete levels (IF that will happen), it could shatter current diagrams and estimates of BD's final height.

We should know in the next couple weeks if the concrete has topped out or if it will rise extra floors... With soil testing being done on the Al Burj site, they may be contemplating going higher.. this is just a guess tho.
twickline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #780
44p
build the NWTC

Likes (Received): 18

so burj Dubai is at level 156?
44p no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae