daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 10th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #7781
Woozy

Likes (Received): 3

I think they just updated the website with this. Must have been a typo.

"A previous version of this story incorrectly stated that the tower would be 638 metres tall when completed. The tower is currently 638 metres and the final height it will reach is unknown but expected to be the tallest building in the world upon completion."
Woozy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #7782
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
i said the infos are very old and not the article
By bad.

But addition of floor or floors doesn't neccessarily mean increase in height does it? it could be distance between the roof and tip of the pinnacle that gets shorter.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #7783
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwnedByASkyscraper View Post
First, you really need to avoid double posting. Second, do you actually have some source that can prove this?
That was actually triple posting which is even worse, but I'll certainly try to avoid these 'more than one at a time postings'

(btw, my last post was more than 20 minutes before, so posting 2 in a row with 20 minutes gap should be acceptable right?, and not be counted as 'more than one at a time posting' I mean I can't always wait for next person to be able to comment again.)
Old June 10th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #7784
unknownquinones
GMA7 Powers Founder

Likes (Received): 0

Burj Dubai is late by 9 months!
unknownquinones no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 02:31 AM   #7785
eXSBass
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

Likes (Received): 264

Quality stuff.
Old June 10th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #7786
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

that and extra height
Old June 10th, 2008, 02:54 AM   #7787
Hardie

Likes (Received): 77

It's almost unbelievable it's so big!!
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:44 AM   #7788
Jonathan Lee
Sky Chaser

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardie View Post
It's almost unbelievable it's so big!!
If i had a pound for every time i heard that

Seriously though this is so amazing. Im going to Perth in Feb and think i will have a stop over instead of coming straight through. I would love to see this up close and personal. The last 2 times ive flown by it was night and the 2nd time it was thick fog.
Jonathan Lee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 06:08 AM   #7789
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Sky high limits

Like needles puncturing a pincushion blue sky, super skyscrapers are redefining the skyscape of the Gulf.

They are twice and three times the size of the giants of the 20th century. Scrapers that used to send us spinning with awe like the Empire State Building and the Eiffel Tower will be dwarfed by these giants.

First there is the Burj Dubai, estimated by some to be targeted at 818 metres, though developers refuse to confirm how high they plan to go. Then there’s the Mubarak Tower in Kuwait’s Silk City aiming for 1,001 metres. Next the Al Burj Dubai, which some say will be higher still, but a final figure has yet to be agreed. And now there’s talk of a mile high tower in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, soaring 1,600 metres into the atmosphereIt’s not about space, says the architect Hamid Kia, of RMJM Hillier. “It’s about symbolism and power. Building tall is impressive. Stand on the 160th storey and look out at the world, the clouds beneath you and I promise you get a feeling like none other. It fills a human emotional need. You are standing in the next best place to space – at the outer frontier.” Some say the skyscraper is a modern expression of the age-old symbol of the world centre or axis mundi: a pillar that connects earth to heaven and the four compass directions to one another.

The construction engineer Dr Andy Davids of Hyder Consulting says it is certainly a very peaceful place to be. He is one of the people responsible for ensuring that the Burj Dubai not only goes up, but stays up. He believes that the Burj is helping to mould a skyscape for Dubai that will one day be as well known as that of London, Paris or New York City. Like the domed bubble of St Paul’s Cathedral, the iron fretwork of the Eiffel Tower or the scalloped point of the Empire State Building, the Burj will be a landmark defining Dubai for generations to come, he says.

“All these extraordinary buildings – St Paul’s, the Eiffel Tower, the Empire State Building – faced varying forms of criticism but they have survived to become international landmarks.

“These super scrapers are never going to be built in London and probably not in any city in the West, but they will define parts of the Middle East,” Davids says. “There is a lot of nation building going on here.”

He feels no sense of vanity, but a sense of privilege in being a key member of the team that is helping to create the build image for Dubai and other Gulf cities.

“Why build so high? Why climb *Everest or fly to the moon? It’s just in the human psyche. It is the way humans are wired and there is nothing wrong with that.”

The challenges that face him and other super scraper engineers are different to those developing more modest buildings.

First there is the challenge of moving a huge team of workers around the building – more than 4,000 people are involved in building the Burj. “The technical challenges are orders of magnitude because of the amount of materials needed.

“Each one of these super skyscrapers is a bespoke building. The secret of any huge project like this is to break it down into manageable pieces and then endeavour to get the world’s best people to deal with each one of the challenges that they are expert at,” says Davids. “The key is to keep it simple, but each of these super tall buildings requires as much care and craftsmanship as any iconic building.”

The limits to how high a building can be built are not technical but practical. “It’s primarily an economic figure based on the speed at which each floor can be built. The economic difference between three days and five days when you are building this high is huge. And its not just economics, there is also a sunset on the time a developer is willing to spend on one project. We are not the pharaohs building pyramids.”

Super scrapers are the order of the day according to Richard Thompson of Middle East Economic Digest (MEED) which is hosting its second “Building Tall” conference in Dubai today and tomorrow. “These iconic building projects have established the Middle East as the world’s most pioneering market for tall buildings. They are symbols of the *region’s dynamism and are attracting experts from all over the world and equipping them with a unique skill set and ability”

The technology for building tall has been in existence in principle for nearly 80 years. “Frank Lloyd Wright proposed the possibility of a mile high building in the 1930s,” said Kia. “It is practicalities like lift speed that stopped them being built before. Now we have double decker and super speed lifts and the sky is the limit.”

Davids says that people will stop building higher when they no longer feel comfortable. “To build these buildings we have to take heed of the environment far more than we did before. They call for huge respect for nature and the atmosphere. We have had help from people like NASA with research into the way the wind moves around the earth and acts on different structures.

“We have had to look at other sciences and engineering disciplines. And at a certain height there is the possibility that mankind will feel uncomfortable – the station tubes in the human ear are sensitive to height and movement.”

Would he like to live on the 160th floor of the Burj Dubai? “I’d love it but it may not suit my current lifestyle with young children. Let’s put it this way, I love Ferraris, too, but I own a Land Cruiser.”

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...807225/-1/NEWS
Old June 10th, 2008, 06:48 AM   #7790
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

it is almost finished..

Zefire liked this post
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #7791
gameseven07
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

From how far away can you see it now?

Zefire liked this post
gameseven07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #7792
GOL2007

Likes (Received): 110

There are a lot of reasons for the delay (height of the structure, construction boom in Dubai) but ONE additional floor is certainly NOT the reason for additional 6 months!!!

The fountain will be great... but 10 million visitors... hmmm

And the say Downtown Burj Dubai will mostly be completed in September? Never! Look at aerial pics... but of course they don't tell the truth (understandable), the prices for the apartments would go down...

Keep on spamming guys... great work!
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #7793
jackso

Likes (Received): 2305

Have they released any interior renders?
Particularly of the residences?
I havent seen any in this thread, i had a look through, and non on the website...?
jackso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #7794
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast View Post
that and extra height
No, there is no extra height. Stop reading into any article posted in media outlets. None of them is more informed then we in this forum are so is pointless to even post those articles let alone taking them as the word of god (or whatever someone might believe/pray to).
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #7795
James.Kayn

Hi am pretty new, :-D

I wanna ask how much, does Burj Dubai cost too get build :-)

James.Kayn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #7796
Skymyhusband
French dwarf

Likes (Received): 60

A lot
Skymyhusband no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #7797
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackso View Post
Have they released any interior renders?
Particularly of the residences?
I havent seen any in this thread, i had a look through, and non on the website...?
I couldn't find interior BD either, but examples of armani hotel:

Old June 10th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #7798
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.Kayn View Post
Hi am pretty new, :-D

I wanna ask how much, does Burj Dubai cost too get build :-)
Total budget for the project is US$ 4.1 billion.

Total budget for entire 'downtown burj dubai' is US$ 20 billion.
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #7799
James.Kayn

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
Total budget for the project is US$ 4.1 billion.

Total budget for entire 'downtown burj dubai' is US$ 20 billion.

Thx for that ;-)

4.1 thats a lot :-) only 20 ? for downtown hmm, i was thinken it was something like 100 billions haha

James.Kayn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 05:05 PM   #7800
=NaNdA=
Liverpool holic

Likes (Received): 642

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post

[IMG]http://i32.************/ih49wp.jpg[/IMG]
=NaNdA= no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae