daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 16th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #7941
Bikes
sababa

Likes (Received): 2674

double.

Last edited by Bikes; June 16th, 2008 at 04:12 PM.
Bikes no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #7942
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Update Now!

Safe work on the mechanical floor cladding?
[IMG]http://i26.************/2hoz391.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i27.************/i2k02e.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i32.************/28u311j.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i31.************/1zdnsd3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i27.************/1z4btdk.jpg[/IMG]
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #7943
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10141

awesome shots otr.
Old June 16th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #7944
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

[IMG]http://i27.************/2iggagx.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i27.************/alix07.jpg[/IMG]
Old June 16th, 2008, 04:56 PM   #7945
chinatown
Wanderer/ Le voyaguer/ 浪子

Likes (Received): 986

utterly stunnin'!
chinatown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #7946
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident View Post
Woke up looking at the biggest erection ever this morning!…………….anyway some new sculptures placed in and around the Old Town and Burj Dubai Boulevard.

[IMG]http://i26.************/t6ox79.jpg[/IMG]

OMFG

I got to go and see these ... who ever thought of putting this in particular, or are these more then just sculptures: Look at the "eyes". CCTV or machine guns, enayone?
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #7947
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Stunning Update OTR, Many thx
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #7948
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Altin: Go up the street that runs up to the South Ridges, there are loads of sculptures in bits ready to be assembled put in position. The weirdest is the head in my first batch of pics with a brush as a moustache and a spade for a tongue......great work but I cannot work out the theme.
Old June 16th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #7949
BrickellResidence

Likes (Received): 6574

can sombody take a picture of the whole dubai skyline even dubai marina and were burj is located plz!!!
BrickellResidence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #7950
Axel_F

Likes (Received): 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickellresidence View Post
can sombody take a picture of the whole dubai skyline even dubai marina and were burj is located plz!!!
Would be difficult. Dubai Marina is around 10 km away from BD and Business Bay. Would be difficult to put them together on one pic. You have to be far away...but then the sand dust limits the view...
Axel_F no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #7951
zYgote

Likes (Received): 0

Ok that is the creepiest ******* statue I've ever seen in my life.
zYgote no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #7952
D.D.
BANNED

Likes (Received): 39

Wow this building is getting more impressive by the time.. btw those sculptures are too creepy for my tastes.

Zefire liked this post
D.D. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #7953
LeMoN-SK
Regular Fool

Likes (Received): 81

Today I had my first ,,skyscraper-dream" in my life. Sure it was about Burj Dubai. The dream was so unbelievably real. I was standing under it with my girlfriend and it was just in its current status. Some arabian guy named Seri Mohammed bin Tankesh (or some similar name) was our tour guide. We were looking at the huge entrance and up to the building. It was so magnificent I decided to visit Dubai next year.
LeMoN-SK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #7954
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMoN-SK View Post
Today I had my first ,,skyscraper-dream" in my life. Sure it was about Burj Dubai. The dream was so unbelievably real. I was standing under it with my girlfriend and it was just in its current status. Some arabian guy named Seri Mohammed bin Tankesh (or some similar name) was our tour guide. We were looking at the huge entrance and up to the building. It was so magnificent I decided to visit Dubai next year.
The guy told you his name? and you remembered it as well, wOw... (Was the entrance at current state or finished?)
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #7955
LeMoN-SK
Regular Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
The guy told you his name? and you remembered it as well, wOw... (Was the entrance at current state or finished?)
Well, usually a tour guide says his name. The entrance was in its current state like the whole building but it is already looking great.

And I remember parts of my dreams quite often but I was too surprised that I remember the name... Anyone from Dubai knows this Seri Mohammed bin Tankesh?

Anyone know if the crowns on top of each tier will get some glass or are they finished now?
Old June 17th, 2008, 01:21 PM   #7956
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Likes (Received): 2436

Seri Mohammed bin Tankesh was the head of the you know what organisation put in prison for you know what , omg Lemon ?!?!
Old June 17th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #7957
cyborg81
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Seems like the burj is gonna be over 900m or maybe even 1K

Emaar increases height of Burj Dubai, with completion in September 2009

UAE. Burj Dubai, the world’s tallest building being developed by Emaar Properties, will be taller than previously envisaged, with height enhancement work already in progress. Construction of the two communication floors is ongoing and structural steel work has started. The final height of Burj Dubai will be revealed only on its completion in September 2009.

Alongside height enhancement, Burj Dubai is also upgrading its interior finishes. International designers from California had been revisiting the designs to make the residences more attractive and functionally superior. The redesign process, undertaken over the past three months, has been completed, with the emphasis on top-notch quality standards.

Mohamed Ali Alabbar, Chairman, Emaar Properties, said: “Burj Dubai is an unparalleled accomplishment in the history of mankind. Breakthrough technology, cutting edge innovation and creativity have been the driving forces of this tower, which will set new benchmarks in architecture, construction and engineering feats. As the referral point for all future high-rise constructions, Burj Dubai is now pushing its own record breaking standards further, with the height and design enhancements.”

“We get one chance in a lifetime to deliver a world-class project such as the Burj Dubai. Our main objective is to ensure that the very best in engineering, architecture, interiors, finishes and infrastructure support are employed in the making of this iconic building, which is the pride of Dubai. In the process, we will ensure speedy execution without any compromise in quality. We believe that a completion date of September 2009 is possible and reasonable for a project of this global magnitude and significance,” Alabbar said.

He added: “The enhancements on Burj Dubai are being enabled through the advances in technology as well as qualitative improvements. Several aspects of Burj Dubai, especially with respect to the interiors, were decided as early as 2004. With the current enhancements we are bringing in the latest in quality considerations that will keep Burj Dubai truly exclusive.”

Burj Dubai, at over 636 metres (2,036.6 feet), is already the world’s tallest building and structure. Currently at 160 storeys, the tower also has the largest number of floors in any building. Burj Dubai has surpassed the height of the KVLY-TV mast in North Dakota, US at 628.8 metres (2,063 feet) and taller than Taipei 101 (508 metres; 1667 feet) in Taiwan and CN Tower (553.33 metres; 1815.5 feet) in Toronto, Canada.

Currently, some 7,500 professionals and skilled workers are employed on-site at Burj Dubai. Cladding work is nearing completion and various infrastructure building works are being undertaken. The best energy efficient technologies are being deployed to ensure that the iconic building is also a standard for energy usage and recycling of water.

Burj Dubai is a magnet for global investors and is regarded as one of the world’s most premium properties. Apart from luxury residences and commercial suites, Burj Dubai also features one of the first Armani Hotels and Armani Residences in the world, designed by fashion veteran Giorgio Armani. The tower will also have an observation deck on level 124 which will offer visitors a bird’s eye view of the city and beyond.

Burj Dubai anchors Emaar’s flagship mega-project, the AED 73 billion (US$20 billion) Downtown Burj Dubai. Described as the new heart of the city, Downtown Burj Dubai is a mixed-use neighbourhood with premium hotels, exclusive business facilities, modern residences, shopping malls and leisure facilities.

http://www.bi-me.com/main.php?id=214...cg=4&mset=1011

Zefire liked this post
cyborg81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #7958
LeMoN-SK
Regular Fool

Seems like the burj is gonna be over 900m or maybe even 1K

It won't.

Articles like this were already posted before. Some newspapers were working with the info about ~650m to this day. And now they discovered, OMG, it is already taller! Let's write an article about it!

As someone already said, trust this thread on SSC. If it will be really increased, you will read it here. Don't trust newspapers. And I know what I am talking about because I am a journalist.

Plus there were already pictures of Burj stretched to 900 or 1000m and it was out of proportion. And all the latest models (for example on Cityscape) look ~820m. And also the construction so far looks like they are going after these plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai_Boy View Post
Seri Mohammed bin Tankesh was the head of the you know what organisation put in prison for you know what , omg Lemon ?!?!
It is not funny. Well, it is possible that someone with this name really exists, not only in my dreams, that is why I asked.
Old June 17th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #7959
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Those statues are hideous, I think the Dubaians should complain, can they?

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #7960
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alle View Post
Those statues are hideous, I think the Dubaians should complain, can they?
Its all down to personal taste, and yes Emiratis can complain, but why?

Anyway heres another with brush and spade.

[IMG]http://i29.************/2uj5ooi.jpg[/IMG]

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae