daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 19th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #8001
Skymyhusband
French dwarf

Likes (Received): 60

Height increases every day on the construction site. So the newspareprs must be right

Last edited by Skymyhusband; June 19th, 2008 at 05:35 PM.
Skymyhusband no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #8002
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10257

imres /otrs photos are better then any media or other website. We get up-to-date photos and some of us have drawn up diagrams from info provided to work out a more accurate look at daily progress on the mighty burj dubai! im not sure why some websites or media release are way out with status or heights.
all i know is that we are pretty spot on in this forum and we should stick with it. ;-)
Old June 19th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #8003
CULWULLA

imres /otrs photos are better then any media or other website. We get up-to-date photos and some of us have drawn up diagrams from info provided to work out a more accurate look at daily progress on the mighty burj dubai! im not sure why some websites or media release are way out with status or heights.
all i know is that we are pretty spot on in this forum and we should stick with it. ;-)
Old June 19th, 2008, 04:11 PM   #8004
Darth Shemp
Armani

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
imres /otrs photos are better then any media or other website.
Flickr is better. More than just 2 people, it includes hundreds of peoples BD photos from all over the world, but also includes Imres. Plus, it does not include hundreds of peoples spam and childish comments.

btw Dubailover, AltinD, and smussuw had some of the best quality photos here.

Last edited by Darth Shemp; June 19th, 2008 at 04:18 PM. Reason: almost forgot about smussuw
Darth Shemp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 06:08 PM   #8005
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSmith! View Post
www.burjdubai.com says that official height is 636m as of 19.6.2008, when it is whole 20m taller. Why are they misguiding the people?
I think its lazy website rather than misleading on purpose, as it is an official BD website. Obviously that's not right height and those updaters don't look at skyscrapercity.

BTW I think that height increase of BD is true, so many news emerging of it.

From today: http://www.vistadubai.com/dubai-news...letin-320.html
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #8006
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

For god sakes, STOP quoting websites after websites that might say something about Burj Dubai.

For as long as EMAAR or BD contractors are not clear and transparent in their comunications with public, the BEST place in the entire WWW to get up to date informations and in depth analysis, would be this very thread.

Once again, DO NOT QUOTE any other website.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #8007
W!CKED
BANNED

Likes (Received): 213

OMG! it's quite scary that high.

Zefire liked this post
W!CKED no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 07:57 PM   #8008
felix801

Likes (Received): 4

I came across this article on the internet today...

'Finishing touches' delay worlds tallest building.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1
felix801 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #8009
Mithat
Just a user

Likes (Received): 0

Despite all the speculation, there is something interesting in all of those articles: "The final heigh will however, be revealed on its completion in September 2009"

Now, does that mean they will keep hiding the spire down in the structure and it won't top out until then?
Mithat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #8010
BlackSmith!
Peace sells...

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
I think its lazy website rather than misleading on purpose, as it is an official BD website. Obviously that's not right height and those updaters don't look at skyscrapercity.
[/url]

Its not lazy website, it was updated today, I only wonder why they gave the wrong height - we all know how high it really is
SSC maniacs
BlackSmith! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 10:26 PM   #8011
Ins0mniaC
WWW.SA-C.NET

Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
www.burjdubai.com says that official height is 636m as of 19.6.2008, when it is whole 20m taller. Why are they misguiding the people?

LOL
Old June 19th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #8012
Lordey

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
656 m
I missed the day when BJ became the tallest structure ever
BTW, thanks for the diagram.
Lordey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:20 PM   #8013
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Its not lazy website, it was updated today, I only wonder why they gave the wrong height - we all know how high it really is
SSC maniacs
I know they updated today, I'm saying this site is just like emporis website, when they update once every 2 months.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:27 PM   #8014
Skymyhusband
French dwarf

Likes (Received): 60

flickr, dated june 8th, by mbruck77
*Oldies but goldies*

image hosted on flickr

Full size: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3181/...0d27fc87_o.jpg

image hosted on flickr

Full size: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3018/...6c897d7b_o.jpg

image hosted on flickr

Full size: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3147/...4b684ba5_o.jpg
Skymyhusband no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #8015
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6560

imagine the whole tower completed in those shots! damn, that will look incredible !
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:43 AM   #8016
CULWULLA

this is a classic shot. the first real skyscraper in Dubai beiing the 184m WTC built 1979 (30 years ago)
with a former holder in background (Emirates towers) and now burj Dubai
image hosted on flickr
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:47 AM   #8017
CULWULLA

oh yeah, i was interviewed the other day by reporter for national newspaper in Abu dabi.
i feel a bit embarrassed actually.lol
article>

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...0&profile=1010

Australian reveals towering secret
Jen Gerson

Last Updated: June 17. 2008 9:28PM UAE / June 17. 2008 5:28PM GMT
According to Richard Braddish, the Burj Dubai will stand at least 819 metres tall when it is complete. Pawan Singh / The National

It is one of the most closely guarded secrets in the construction industry, but an Australian with a fascination for tall buildings believes he has cracked it.

Emaar Properties, the company behind the soaring Burj Dubai - still under construction but the front-runner for the title of the world's tallest building - refuses to reveal how high it will reach when complete.

But according to Richard Braddish, a model maker for the City of Sydney council, who has spent two years compiling statistics, design details and plans of the tower, the Burj Dubai will stand at least 819 metres tall.

And it might not stop there. It could, he says, top out at 850 metres. "It just depends on the pinnacle," Mr Braddish, 42, says. "If it's pushed up too high, it could push the building out of proportion."

Mr Braddish has released a detailed diagram of his predictions - at www.skyscrapercity.com - and, although Emaar declines to comment, an engineer who is working on the iconic building says he is impressed by Mr Braddish's handiwork.

"It is quite a drawing," says the engineer, who declined to be named. "The whole elevation has been visited quite in detail. It requires an eye for detail and putting it to paper as he has done, it is quite remarkable."

Even more remarkable when you consider that Mr Braddish has yet to see the building in person.

"I would love to come to Dubai to see the Burj in the next few years," he says. "It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

He has, however, spent a lifetime in the shadow of tall buildings.

When most people watch the 1933 classic film King Kong, they are awed by the giant ape. Mr Braddish, on the other hand, was fascinated by the Empire State Building and amazed by its scale and size. It was an encounter that spawned a lifetime of enthusiasm for big buildings - and small wonder that it came to embrace the world's tallest structure. The Burj Dubai is, he says, simply one of the "wonders of the world".

Mr Braddish is the Australian editor for the website Emporis.com, a virtual emporium of details, diagrams and information about tall buildings and, as a further labour of love, he maintains a database on skyscrapers in 40 cities across Australia.

His love of towers has also inspired him to write a history of tall structures in his country, for which he has spent more than a decade researching and writing.

He also finds time to moderate an online forum where 3,000 enthusiasts pore over the minutiae of the Burj and other iconic buildings.

He traces his obsession with skyscrapers back to when he was five years old and he began to copy the buildings around him, using cardboard and toy blocks. His parents, he says, were proud, but he is not sure how he landed a job creating models of cities and skyscrapers for a living.

"I didn't think it would happen. I just wound up falling into it," he says. "I started to make models with cardboard, took them in and got the job."

With a background in art, Mr Braddish takes photographs of significant buildings in Australia, maintains an archive on the history of the country's skyscrapers and continuously updates a model of the Sydney skyline.

His cardboard Sydney, about the size of a large wardrobe, took more than a decade to complete. The model records the architecture of the city in such detail that maintaining and updating it is a full-time job.

He has also created colourful models of the world's 50 great towers - including the Burj Dubai. His favourite? His childhood inspiration holds sway. "The Empire State Building," he says. "That was the Burj Dubai of its time. It was pushing the boundaries of structural engineering back then."
Old June 20th, 2008, 01:12 AM   #8018
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Likes (Received): 2467

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
this is a classic shot. the first real skyscraper in Dubai beiing the 184m WTC built 1979 (30 years ago)
with a former holder in background (Emirates towers) and now burj Dubai
image hosted on flickr
could you please upload it onto imageshack and repost it :P cant see it =( on flickr
Old June 20th, 2008, 01:28 AM   #8019
CULWULLA

Old June 20th, 2008, 01:32 AM   #8020
Kiwi-Si

Likes (Received): 2

Great artical Cul! Well done!
Kiwi-Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae