daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 5th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #821
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

thx helghast , i love shots of the core from above
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2007, 06:53 PM   #822
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

with all the calculations and pic's of the hotel floor plan and more. i've calculated that the core is a little more then 2,500 sqft. that's excluding the cure plates. in the pic's the core does look very tiny, but it is actual quite big.
helghast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #823
GOL2007

Likes (Received): 110

Awesome pic helghast...

I'm wondering about something... there's this triangular gap in the middle of the Burj and I think it's going up all the way from the bottom to the top! Are there any ceilings, or whatever in between or is it THE HIGHEST ATRIUM IN THE WORLD???
I mean that would be CRAZY, imagine a 600m high atrium!!!

I hope someone in this thread knows what I mean...

And please leave out the political stuff of this thread, it's about a skyscraper, nothing else!!!
Old November 5th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #824
skyscraper100
>:

Likes (Received): 32

dubai is amazing!!!
skyscraper100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #825
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Light Effects???

[IMG]http://i22.************/23w1jwl.jpg[/IMG]
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #826
AshMat
Used Banner

Likes (Received): 5

Putting those lights on would make it look brilliant!

Anyway, i did a quick google, took me to these pictures which i stuck together.
This is how much Dubai has changed in the space of 14 years:
AshMat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #827
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10121

thats great news about the steel section about to start. i wonder if it will be brought up girder by girder like SWFC or large segments which are then simply bolted together? this will be quick way of construction.
should be a good couple of weeks watching new type of construction of mighty burjD.
Old November 5th, 2007, 11:43 PM   #828
LeMoN-SK
Regular Fool

Likes (Received): 81

In the brochure of BD there is a page Welcome home to a new lifestyle... The picture under text shows elevator buttons numbered 181..188... maybe sign that it will go higher than 162 fl?
LeMoN-SK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #829
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

yeah i notice that to.

i was looking thru my pic's and i came across this.
helghast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 12:25 AM   #830
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

Hmmm... I feel like theres something going on...
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #831
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1154

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
thats great news about the steel section about to start. i wonder if it will be brought up girder by girder like SWFC or large segments which are then simply bolted together? this will be quick way of construction.
should be a good couple of weeks watching new type of construction of mighty burjD.
What do you think about my idea. that they use cranes and helicopters to bring up the steel? Remember the last sections of CN were also brought up with a heli!
Old November 6th, 2007, 01:02 AM   #832
dettol
Logarithm

I dont think helis will be used. Based on the construction plans we have seen, they will use cranes. Also consider the pinnacle will be built within the spire so there wont be a need to raise the steel sections to the maximum height, they will simply be hydraulically raised.
Old November 6th, 2007, 01:45 AM   #833
Ember-To-Ashes

Awesome pic helghast, i havent seen that one before =)

(p.s Killzone rules)
Ember-To-Ashes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:38 AM   #834
qwert_guy
Not Registered

Likes (Received): 292

awesome BD
qwert_guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #835
Lupin

Likes (Received): 0

I'm not gonna lie, I'd like to see how tiny a Skycrane would look next to the building..

Lupin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #836
Julito-dubai
Yes We Can !

Location: Nanjing (CN), Beijing (CN), Braunschweig (GER), Dubai (UAE)
Likes (Received): 254

Burj Dubai strike enters sixth day
by Dylan Bowman and Conrad Egbert on Tuesday, 06 November 2007
The Burj Dubai overtook Taiwan's 509-metre tower Taipei 101 as the tallest building in the world in June. (Getty Images)
The Burj Dubai overtook Taiwan's 509-metre tower Taipei 101 as the tallest building in the world in June. (Getty Images)

A strike by labourers working on the site of the world’s tallest building entered its sixth day on Tuesday, with protesters refusing to go back to work unless demands for better salaries are met, sources have told Construction Week.

Thousands of labourers employed by Dubai’s largest construction company Arabtec – about a third of the Burj Dubai’s workforce - downed tools last Wednesday and have been holed up in their accommodation since then.

A consortium involving Arabtec, South Korea’s Samsung and Besix of Belgium is building the Burj Dubai, which in June overtook Taiwan's 509-metre tower Taipei 101 as the tallest building in the world.
Story continues below ↓
advertisement

Sources close to the development said the labourers have been offered a pay rise, but been told it could take anywhere between a week and two months before they receive it.

Labourers, many of them Indian, are demanding an immediate increase in their salaries, claiming it is not worth them going back to work for the money they make because of the tumbling value of the US dollar against the rupee.

The UAE pegs its currency against the dollar, which is close to a nine-year low against the rupee.

Workers have vowed to remain put until their salaries are raised by at least $55. The company is currently paying unskilled workers $109 a month while skilled ones get $163, according to newswire AP.

It is common for construction workers in the UAE to make as little as 400 dirhams ($109) a month.

The ongoing strike, one of several recent protests by construction workers in Dubai, has focused worldwide attention on the plight of labourers in the UAE, where strikes are illegal and trade unions are banned.

UAE Cabinet on Sunday called for an urgent review of construction workers’ salaries, sparking speculation that the government could establish a minimum wage.

Venu Rajamany, India's Consul General in Dubai, said a government-set minimum wage looked increasingly probable.

"Setting a minimum wage could be one of the solutions to the problem," Rajamany said, quoted AP.

"When the labour ministry comes up with a figure after consultations with companies, that figure will be a benchmark below which no company can go."

Sources said work at on the Burj Dubai is still ongoing and the strike has not had a major impact on construction.

The Arabtec employees work at a hotel site that is part of the Burj Dubai, according to AP. Arabtec declined to comment.

- Your man for special investigative tasks in the Yangtse River Delta ! -

Three things I am following on the Internet:

- Skyscraper Construction in China
- Developing Story of Andrea Rossi and the Ecat. A new technology to produce heat and electricity through a new nuclear process called LENR
- Discovery of Extrasolar Planets
Julito-dubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #837
dettol
Logarithm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julito-dubai View Post
The Arabtec employees work at a hotel site that is part of the Burj Dubai, according to AP. Arabtec declined to comment.
LOL, I love how the media love exploiting things

Can anyone confirm this has affected the Burj Dubai Tower and not one of the multitudes of hotels being built within the Burj Dubai Complex? The ambiguity of this article is annoying...
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #838
sirpawel

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
The company is currently paying unskilled workers $109 a month while skilled ones get $163, according to newswire AP.
I can't belive that anyone can offer such low money for work in such bad conditions. HIGEST building in world built by SLAVES!!!
sirpawel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #839
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1154

Thats the dark side of the construction boom in Dubai. Or do you think they could build so much with normal salarys? BTW I am sorry for the workers which will install last claddding parts at more than 700m this must be awful.
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #840
Croat
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpawel View Post
I can't belive that anyone can offer such low money for work in such bad conditions. HIGEST building in world built by SLAVES!!!
What the **** do you talking about?! Oh my God, I hate this kind of hypocrites...

All USA is built on occupied Indian land with black slavery, and they call them selfs "homeland of freedom".
European countries (mostly UK) also made their great wealth by robbing African, American and Asian lands.

So why don't you criticize them?

Zefire liked this post
Croat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae