daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #841
Croat
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

By the way, average payment in Pakistan is $63 per month.

Zefire liked this post
Croat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #842
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Because we are "zivilized" and why should a modern country do the same mistakes like previous countrys have done. I thin that humanity and people are more worth than every project every city in this world. You cant handle people like that!
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #843
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpawel View Post
I can't belive that anyone can offer such low money for work in such bad conditions. HIGEST building in world built by SLAVES!!!
They are paid six times their national avaerage. Not bad in comparison to their homeland.

So start with home economics before setting upon Dubai.
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #844
Bikes
sababa

Likes (Received): 2674

Guys, there is a separate thread for this discussion.
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:03 PM   #845
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Armani Residence Sale

Gulf News Property page today: Armani Residence 1088 sq/ft One bedroom
AED 10,660,000.00......any offers?
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #846
Croat
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident View Post
Gulf News Property page today: Armani Residence 1088 sq/ft One bedroom
AED 10,660,000.00......any offers?
Wow, we gonna call this tower Burj al bourgeois!

Zefire liked this post
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #847
mahmoodadeel
addi

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croat View Post
who the hell told you the average income in pak is Rs63. Its atleast Rs300 for hard labor per day Pakistan is a much cheeper place to live than many countries... I know this coz i got my house build around a year ago...
and laborers in tall building constructions are paid better...
mahmoodadeel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #848
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahmoodadeel View Post
who the hell told you the average income in pak is Rs63. Its atleast Rs300 for hard labor per day Pakistan is a much cheeper place to live than many countries... I know this coz i got my house build around a year ago...
and laborers in tall building constructions are paid better...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ quoted by Croat, and why come here if paid better in Pakistan, I cant work that one out!
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #849
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
What the **** do you talking about?! Oh my God, I hate this kind of hypocrites...

All USA is built on occupied Indian land with black slavery, and they call them selfs "homeland of freedom".
European countries (mostly UK) also made their great wealth by robbing African, American and Asian lands.

So why don't you criticize them?
Not really, only about 3% of americans owned slaves if i remember it correctly, most of them owned by an even smaller portion of people. Many opposed slavery at that time altough the views on it and reasons were different. Europe and America was built on ideological developement, architechture, culture, intellectual freedom, scientific developement and various other developements. European countries as nations actually LOST money on colonies more often than they gained anything, it was big private companies which made profits from colonies... and the "land of the free home of the brave" is meant to point at the constitution and principles of true freedom and personal rights, but in todays america politicians dont seem to care about that constitution.

Still when it comes to this strike and wages in UAE. I think that its good that they do a strike, unfortunately there are so many people (on that subcontinent) willing to work there for these wages, but the economic developement is reaching out to more people and i the long run it will be impossible to keep these low wages, and i think the companies will be pressured to pay higher wages for construction workers.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #850
northway
It is north-way here

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikes View Post
Guys, there is a separate thread for this discussion.
I totally agree. Let's go back to the Burj Dubai excitement.

But sometimes it is really hard to jump on such facts.
To clarify, workers are offered certain degree of housing, certain facilities, transportation, and probably food, etc. packages in addition to their nominal salaries (which is not really much, though they can afford to transfer the bulk of it back home, and hence the issue is the declining value of the Dirham towards the Rupee)
As such, labor-slavery, as someone would call it, do exist. The main issue is that it is not systematic nor orchestrated by the government, as many comments here and there in this forum tend to reflect. Quite the contrary. The government is tackling the issue quite from its roots, by building labor housing and proposing regulations, which might conflict with its vision to enhance the business climate and give investors the upperhand in increasing their profits.
To my understanding, there is, and will be, handling of cases where abuse or un-payment occur, probably within the context of an overall regulation/law. You should give it sometime to get it in place, but it surly is hard to get businesses on board.
BTW, what is the proposed minimum wage, if any, in Dubai-UAE? I heard there will be, definitely higher than $109.
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:27 PM   #851
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

06/November/2007

Burj Dubai from the Goldcrest Views roof (Jumeirah Lakes Towers) , apr 18-19 km

Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #852
DG
Emirian Lady

Likes (Received): 4

it is barely visible from there, thanx to constructions dust
DG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #853
Croat
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alle View Post
Not really, only about 3% of americans owned slaves if i remember it correctly, most of them owned by an even smaller portion of people. Many opposed slavery at that time altough the views on it and reasons were different. Europe and America was built on ideological developement, architechture, culture, intellectual freedom, scientific developement and various other developements. European countries as nations actually LOST money on colonies more often than they gained anything, it was big private companies which made profits from colonies... and the "land of the free home of the brave" is meant to point at the constitution and principles of true freedom and personal rights, but in todays america politicians dont seem to care about that constitution.
Dude, that was stupid!

Zefire liked this post
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #854
twickline

Quote:
$63.00 the folks in the Philippines would feel rich making $63.00 a month. I spend a month in South East Asia back in May of this year. And the people who had jobs made $1.00 a day, $30.00 a month! and for the masses that don't have jobs they live in one room shacks and eat fruit.....

No matter how bad you think these workers have it, they could be at home in a shack eating fruits.

Me in front of a stream in the mountains of southern Mindanao Philippines, the fine folks in the background are bathing and doing there laundry on rocks.
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/5517/img0199vf6.jpg

A man who lives in a 1 room shack made of tarp and scrap wood, this will in the end be fire wood for cooking.
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/609/img0220wk4.jpg

So until you have been there on the ground, and have seen just how bad things really are... keep your $.02 opinion to your self! while it may be bad it could always be MUCH worse for these people.

Last edited by twickline; November 6th, 2007 at 08:29 PM.
twickline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #855
ERGO PROXY

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by twickline View Post
No matter how bad you think these workers have it, they could be at home in a shack eating fruits.
In June, the government offered, no questions asked, a free one-way plane tickets to illegal workers hoping to leave. They have since been swamped by 280,000 workers who, fed up with a rising cost of living and low wages, were ready to go home.

Associated Press
This is thread about Dubai: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=541046
ERGO PROXY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #856
gingeandmay

I have just logged in to check the thread, gone to last page, and I am confronted by utterly irrelevant posts and pix AGAIN! We are now moving into a very exciting phase of the BD, lets discuss this. I DO NOT CARE ABOUT WAGES IN PAKISTAN!!!!!!!! This is not a moral debate!
gingeandmay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #857
Tumbling Dice

Likes (Received): 1

This thread has gone to shit ... where's the moderators ??? Time to get off your arses and prune this thread.
Tumbling Dice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #858
Sander-
21st century citizen

Likes (Received): 3

Nice view from goldcrest. I suppose the Burj will be a lot more visible when it's done, cladded up and all shiny

Speaking of cladding - what is the estimated finishing date for that one? or T/O on the steel section for that matter?
Sander- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #859
sirpawel

Ok. People, what number will the last flor suitable for human have in BD?
sirpawel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #860
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

maybe somebody knows what is this mysterious Emaar plot in Dubailand?

Burj Dubai 2 ?

18/October/2007

Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae