daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2008, 12:27 PM   #8641
TallBox

Likes (Received): 421

i noticed one of the tags for this thread is 'islamic architecture'. is BD islamic architecture? designed by americans, built by koreans... it's style is more international than islamic. the cladding is identical to that used on the trump tower chicago.
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #8642
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
Is there going to be anymore progress of the cladding apart from the mechanical floors? I haven't seen any, unless they're not cladding steel floors for a while, they're done for now. Is there any reason for them to hold back for cladding the steel floors?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew.magoo View Post
yes, ive personally been wondering the same thing
maybe it makes it easier to get up there when it isnt cladded?
Quote:
maybe still those welding and activities still going on for lower steel floor which could result in damage on glasses.
Cladding of the exteriours is done so work on the interious of the cladded areas can procede. There is nothing habitable on the steel section so it doesn't make any sense rushing in now with cladding that part.

IMO that's the main reason, of course some of the points you made might be valid too.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #8643
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3095

Thanks for yet another great diagram Cul. Looks like Ob. Deck here will be around the same height as the plant room atop Sears and the top of the Antenna of the ESB.....seems there is some scope for a smaller ( at extra charge ) Ob. deck higher ?....after all the CN Tower's space deck and the new SWFC Ob. deck would be higher....would the worlds tallest building....by a big margin....not have the tallest viewing area ? Both the ESB and CN Tower have provided a smaller higher deck.
Old July 25th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #8644
SEED

Likes (Received): 6

i think dubai is havin a crane shortage crisis wit the amount of construction goin on there!
SEED no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #8645
drew.magoo

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun View Post
i noticed one of the tags for this thread is 'islamic architecture'. is BD islamic architecture? designed by americans, built by koreans... it's style is more international than islamic. the cladding is identical to that used on the trump tower chicago.
even though it was designed by americans, they took the location into consideration.
from the top down, one will notice that the floorplans have that slight onion shape to them
this was inspired by the lotus flower native to the region
there are also some other similar things that i cant think of right now
drew.magoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #8646
AdnanPD
Svi smo mi Broj 1.

Likes (Received): 3862

Dubai is doing a amazing job. Who would told that tower this big would be possible back in the 90s?!
AdnanPD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #8647
rickydavisfan21
McSAME and FAILIN

Likes (Received): 539

Does dubai ever not look ugly tho? Its so dusty all the time.
rickydavisfan21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 09:28 PM   #8648
James R. Hawkwood
Imperator

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Is there going to be anymore progress of the cladding apart from the mechanical floors? I haven't seen any, unless they're not cladding steel floors for a while, they're done for now. Is there any reason for them to hold back for cladding the steel floors?
Those steel floors arent even close to being ready for cladding.

First they need to divide up those 6.4 meter tall sections up in two subfloors that stand 3.2 meters each and then lay down the floor.

Then you still gotta install and place in the equipment for communications, airco, pump generators for water and cool air and more stuff like cable winches for the elevators and power substations to regulate the amount off power the building gets.

All off those things must be done before cladding can cover up those floors.

But, there is still plenty off cladding to be done at the lower floors. So the cladding team will still go on at full steam!!!

Cheers
Old July 25th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #8649
James R. Hawkwood
Imperator

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun View Post
The usuage off Glass is indeed more international, but its the shape off the structure its self that is seperating this building from its western counterparts.

Ususaly the shape off western buildings is more functional and thus more box shaped then the rest off the world, even though the last couple off decades that trend is changing.

This structure differs from western counterparts since its design is laid in the inspiration from nature and nice abstract shapes.

The Arabs(islamic people in general) like abstract forms.

In short: Its the shape off the structure that seperates this big boy from its western counterparts, not the materials wich is constructed with.

Cheers dude
Old July 25th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #8650
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Hawkwood View Post
Those steel floors arent even close to being ready for cladding.

First they need to divide up those 6.4 meter tall sections up in two subfloors that stand 3.2 meters each and then lay down the floor.
I thought only the mezzanines were divided in half 6.4 metres, but you're right

In this photo I noticed the cladding on top 2 concrete floors have less height than the cladding on the floors below them. I imagine those shorter glasses will cover steel floors as well.

buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 11:55 PM   #8651
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

The 6.4 m. steel levels / sections will not all be divided up into 2 - 3.2 m. levels. Only the levels with mezzanines are divided in 1/2. Perhaps James is referring to Culs unofficial level numbering that continues up every 3.2 m. after the official numbering. Cul does that because there is a landing in the stairwell every 3.2 m.

The top 2 levels of the concrete are 3.2 m. level 155 and 155 mezz. and that is why there is shorter 3.2 m. cladding.

This question was brought up to me in a PM from helghast a while ago. It will be interesting to see how they clad these 6.4 m. levels. Levels 123 and 124 are 6.0 m. high and the are clad as such. I think they will clad the 6.4 m. levels / sections in one 6.4 m. tall cladding - it is only .4 taller.

Another thing is 155 mezz., 158 mezz., 160 mezz. 1, and 160 mezz. 2 levels are not all the way around the structure. They will either switch to 6.4 m. tall cladding on the rest of those levels or put up brackets so the can continue with 3.2 m. cladding on those levels.

As I have said I think on the rest of the 6.4m. levels / sections the cladding will be 6.4 m. tall but we will have to wait and see.

Old July 26th, 2008, 05:29 AM   #8652
Intamin
I have anacrophobia.

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel_F View Post
This huge yellow machine build the track on top of the pillars (you can see two of them in the pic) for the Dubai Metro. The machine is like a crane who lifts up the track in position and when track under the machine is ready - it moves to the next pillar and start track building and so on....
Ah, very cool, thanks!
Intamin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 08:56 AM   #8653
firoz bharmal

Likes (Received): 2413

The Burj Dubai Development are is under Business District and from today i have seen there is Dubai creek water is around the area but still not arrive
firoz bharmal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #8654
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Old July 26th, 2008, 09:46 PM   #8655
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
Thanks for yet another great diagram Cul. Looks like Ob. Deck here will be around the same height as the plant room atop Sears and the top of the Antenna of the ESB.....seems there is some scope for a smaller ( at extra charge ) Ob. deck higher ?....after all the CN Tower's space deck and the new SWFC Ob. deck would be higher....would the worlds tallest building....by a big margin....not have the tallest viewing area ?
Because is no use for a higher observation deck.

At 700m you can't really see anything...
luci203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #8656
Annibale

Location: Ar-Raqqa []; Ar-Core []; Ar-Megiddo []; Ar-Luno [x]; Ar-Trove []
Likes (Received): 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Hawkwood View Post
The usuage off Glass is indeed more international, but its the shape off the structure its self that is seperating this building from its western counterparts.

Ususaly the shape off western buildings is more functional and thus more box shaped then the rest off the world, even though the last couple off decades that trend is changing.

This structure differs from western counterparts since its design is laid in the inspiration from nature and nice abstract shapes.

The Arabs(islamic people in general) like abstract forms.

In short: Its the shape off the structure that seperates this big boy from its western counterparts, not the materials wich is constructed with.

Cheers dude
UAE nature and climate shouldn't inspire a glass clading...

Last edited by Annibale; July 26th, 2008 at 10:05 PM.
Annibale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #8657
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by olympicmsgr View Post
the massive scale of Dubai's development and construction is not only unprecedented, it's unbelievable. feels like a fantasy.

Dubai has dwarfed Shanghai and Beijing in construction scale.
Dwarfed what?

Shanghai need to build just one bulding to equal Dubai in height, Dubai need legions of highrises to equal Shanghai in density...

scroll
>>>>
luci203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #8658
Sony Sjklw

Sony Sjklw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #8659
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3402

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
Because is no use for a higher observation deck.

At 700m you can't really see anything...
Your own expirience? My own expirience says something else.

That`s the view from 830m (Seoul)
[IMG]http://i34.************/1z2lmaq.jpg[/IMG]

And even Dubai offer some time sa great view from around 700m.
[IMG]http://i14.************/2zs8oav.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Tom_Green; July 26th, 2008 at 10:34 PM.
Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #8660
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibale View Post
UAE nature and climate shouldn't inspire a glass clading...
In case you don't know the glass can be tinted with layers of films and minerals that can block heat, UV and IR radiation.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae