daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 30th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #8761
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun View Post
First time I am viewing this thread..

Meh... it doesn't look that tall.
I have a feeling you have to see it in person to get a true perspective of it's height. Every time I see a picture of The Index it looks short because it's usually pictured with Burj Dubai somewhere in the background.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #8762
Westyguy

Likes (Received): 325

Looking at the Address next to Burj Dubai will always give me a comparison of the tallest inhabitable structures in Australia. Sydney Tower is 309m (3 metres taller) and Q1 (16.5 metres taller).
Westyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #8763
TallBox

Likes (Received): 421

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I have a feeling you have to see it in person to get a true perspective of it's height. Every time I see a picture of The Index it looks short because it's usually pictured with Burj Dubai somewhere in the background.
Actually, I was being facetious (I have posted in this thread several dozen times).

But anyway, I actually DO think the BD doesn't seem all that tall.... perhaps you are right. But then I think towers that taper (and the BD does that to a great degree) always look shorter than they actually are. To be, HK's ICC and SWFC look more impressive in height and bulk. But then I guess I'd have to see all in person.
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #8764
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6532

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwnedByASkyscraper View Post
The 819 meter figure comes from CULWULLA's diagram, which is extremely accurate with the current construction process if you observed it tier by tier. And LoverofDubai is right in saying that the only thing Emaar's said to the general public is that the guaranteed height is over 700 meters.
the 819m figure comes partly from plans like this, or why do you think cul's diagram is that accurate? :

[IMG]http://i33.************/2i8kxh5.jpg[/IMG]
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #8765
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwnedByASkyscraper View Post
Fury, even though the spire lifting is behind schedule, can we expect the lifting to be soon? If not, then when can it be expected.
Hi Pwned.

I think Culs' estimate of 2 months for the start of lifting is reasonably accurate. The delay of top out shouldn't effect the completion date of Aug '09 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ II
the 819m figure comes partly from plans like this, or why do you think cul's diagram is that accurate?
And I thought it was because I helped Cul with accuracy ...

Really the info in the plan I made also came from pics like that too.

Old July 30th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #8766
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Tonight

All this talk of spires and cranes at the top, I had to go out and by a new gadget. Heres the first shot a few mins ago.
[IMG]http://i37.************/2d85og9.jpg[/IMG]
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 10:56 PM   #8767
Axel_F

Likes (Received): 137

Nice Nightshot OTR!!
Axel_F no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 02:44 AM   #8768
Downfallen

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
But anyway, I actually DO think the BD doesn't seem all that tall....
I'm glad I'm not the only one....
Having stood on the top and gotten a 'very' good idea of just how far away the ground is..
Everytime I looked back up at it...it just didnt seem the 'leviathon' it used to be..being able to pick out the exact spot you stood on and give it a sense of scale.
Its still an impressive ,tall building.....but its just not 'that' impressive as it used to be ( to me)
Once you guys have been up as high as you can go.. I'm sure you will feel the same.
Downfallen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 05:23 AM   #8769
Capn Jef

Likes (Received): 9

Well, it's the tallest we have right now, so you'll just have to suffice until the next WTB goes up.
Capn Jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 05:37 AM   #8770
Darth Shemp
Armani

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfallen View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one....
Having stood on the top and gotten a 'very' good idea of just how far away the ground is..
Everytime I looked back up at it...it just didnt seem the 'leviathon' it used to be..being able to pick out the exact spot you stood on and give it a sense of scale.
Its still an impressive ,tall building.....but its just not 'that' impressive as it used to be ( to me)
Once you guys have been up as high as you can go.. I'm sure you will feel the same.
The only difference is that going down won't be near as fast or as fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
I guess we will have to wait untill completion to get any inside shots. Not sure but I believe they do not allow visits inside the structure anymore after the basejumper jumped off his holy grail - a cryin' shame
btw, construction visits to the tower have indeed been greatly reduced since the last "incident"
Darth Shemp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 06:17 AM   #8771
LoverOfDubai

Quote:
True but since we have official plans and info that wasn't released to the public we know the 818.0 m. is the official plan.
I hate to be confrontational, but how do you have official plans? I am sure Emaar is much more protective about its plans; and anything you have is possibly false.
I would really be interested to know how you can have such plan and why you are so certain they are official.

And, I have heard Emaar officials say several times that they have not seen any correct predictions. But, I have actually not heard this said for a while, so maybe the correct height it is out there somewhere.

Quote:
The CTBUH measure when the structure is completed could be as high as 825.1 m. though.
Then why do so many people, including yourself, say it will be 818 metres? If 825 metres will be the actual height, why not use that figure? (I understand the three different levels at the base; what I want to know is why you are sticking with a certain entrance and not the one that the CTBUH will supposedly use.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
No one knows, it could be 750 metres. What about 819 metre figure? did it come from emaar as well?
This number has never been officially/publicly stated. As far as I know (and I can be wrong), the number is just a rumour and has a high chance of being incorrect.
LoverOfDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 07:00 AM   #8772
Fury
Proudly Canadian

- Dude .....

The info I used to make my plan and to make screenshots of over 50 blueprints came from a secure internal site and came from a fellow forummer who made it available to all for a while. He and his site got in some deep shit for making it available and he was forced to take it down. Many here got the chance to get the same info. I also used pics of various other prints / plans posted here to make different aspects of my plan.

818.0 m. is the official plan - no question about it. The structure is following that plan exactly and will continue to do so. Wait and see ...

As for the diff. height the CTBUH may get :

- 818.0 starts from the floor of the ground level to the floor of the platform on top.

- 819.1 if they include the handrail on top

- 824.0 start at the floor of the Concourse level to the floor of the top platform

- 825.1 floor of the concourse level to the top of the handrail on top

For now I am sticking to the 818.0 number as it is the official plan. But I agree with Cul that up to 825.1 is a real possibility after completion when CTBUH does their measurement.

Cul was the first to mention other possibilities. There is a handrail around the top platform that is 1.100 m. high that is a permanent part of the structure. I have posted a detail print showing this clearly a few times. The council could possibly use the lowest entrance "at grade" as a starting point so the entrance at the Concourse level ( 6.00 m. below the ground level ) could be used. I have posted details with pics about the 3 entrances at different levels.

The numbers are NOT just rumors. They are based on solid info - what do you think we just make this shit up ??? Of course Emaar is going to say that they have not seen a correct prediction. It is right up there with the delay they stated a few weeks ago that we in here have known for near a year.

Don't hate - participate. I hate to be confrontational but - Wait and see .....

Last edited by Fury; July 31st, 2008 at 07:08 AM.
Fury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 07:02 AM   #8773
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

The latest plans I recall seeing show spire/pinnacle raising methodology with a duel crane approach. Im not sure if they have been posted on this thread and I dont have them immediately available but in the mean time, perhaps someone else has them and can post them...?

*hint, hint* *nudge, nudge*
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 07:12 AM   #8774
LoverOfDubai

Thanks for your response, Fury. I appreciate the details.
LoverOfDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 07:20 AM   #8775
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Shemp View Post
btw, construction visits to the tower have indeed been greatly reduced since the last "incident"
Speaking about the basejumper who jumped off his "holy grail" ( haha great way to put it - wonder where I got that ...) I wonder what the fine was ?

Downfallen - did you hear anything ?

Old July 31st, 2008, 07:42 AM   #8776
Fury
Proudly Canadian

YW LoverOfDubai.

Hi Dettol - how you been - haven't seen you on here in a while - hope all is well.

Here is the spire jacking methodology drawing

[IMG]http://i37.************/9jeqs5.jpg[/IMG]

I have only seen anything at the jacking stage with 1 crane. I don't think the crane is used to actually lift the spire / pinnacle though. See this.

[IMG]http://i38.************/2upp7di.jpg[/IMG]

I am pretty sure the plan was always to use jacks to do the lifting.

It will be very interesting to "watch" it happening - can't wait.

Old July 31st, 2008, 08:24 AM   #8777
giovani kun
====(^.^)====

Likes (Received): 559

great work Fury showing us once again the plans of the building
giovani kun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 08:31 AM   #8778
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2626

Quote:
- 819.1 if they include the handrail on top
What handrail?

Quote:
Cul was the first to mention other possibilities. There is a handrail around the top platform that is 1.100 m. high that is a permanent part of the structure. I have posted a detail print showing this clearly a few times.
Huh? You've lost me. They are going to install a handrail almost three-hundred meters above the tip of the antenna? Somehow that doesn't make any sense.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 08:41 AM   #8779
unixer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

this building will win a golden medal for both the tallest and the ugliest building of the world.

Zefire liked this post

Last edited by unixer; July 31st, 2008 at 08:57 AM.
unixer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 09:10 AM   #8780
jlh630

Likes (Received): 7

droneriot-
Plans show a handrail on the top of the spire where the aircraft beacons are. The handrail is 1.1 m high, not to be confused with a height of 1100 m.
jlh630 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae