daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 7th, 2007, 08:58 PM   #901
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #902
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_121 View Post
I hope they whip those God damn slaves hard when they start working again!!
are you crazy or what??
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #903
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
i think if the dampner failed ,the main super structure would stay intact. You have to remember Burj Dubai is the tallest concrete structure ever built! @ nearly 600m high. the former tallest all concrete structure was a chimney is russia nearly 200m shorter.
It would be so strong especially where the lower section of tower meets the slab and piling.
i think steel structure may start this weekend. there isnt much of the concrete to go.
I remember reading a while back that there will be up to a 1.5 meter sway, but since there is no reference point, the occupants will not likely notice it a whole lot. I dont think the building would sway much more than that even if the dampening system failed, because they planned for things like that to happen and implemented it in the design. It may be slender at the top, but its definitely not weak. Also because its so high up, it looks smaller too. Because a building has never been built so tall like this before, its likely that they may have over-engineered the structure (like the ESB when it was the tallest during its time).

I have said before that I believe the central core is around 5000 sq feet, but at the top where the central core tapers, it could be anywhere from the
2500-3500 sq foot range. I still think its big enough for a few offices, if not one big office.

There will probably only be 3 passenger elevators, and one freight elevator that will service that height (on top of the stairs). I still think that they are going to end up building office floors within the steel section until it gets almost to the pinnacle.. maybe 185-190 floors?? it will definitely be over 200 if you count the landings within the base of the spire and the spire itself (I mentioned this back when this building was only 35 floors tall).

I dont mean to sound like a broken record but I hope they decide to build a more "exclusive" VIP obs deck at around the top of the steel structure..

this is the point that we have been waiting for, during the past 2 years. its at the point where the concrete will transition to steel and we get to see if they actually do build the concrete higher (which I hope). Hard to believe that there will be offices above the 600m point!!
Old November 7th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #904
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
are you crazy or what??
Ignore the schmucks people.. or trolls that is... if anybody wants to talk about this shit with the "slave labor," then create a thread in the skybar!!
Old November 7th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #905
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
I cant wait to see this building get even bigger!!!
OH WOW! I can't believe you just said that! Are you serious or you are just spamming?
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 10:06 PM   #906
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #907
theworldshallcry
BAMMED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:

That silver cladding is looking amazing. Even better than in the renders, may I say.
theworldshallcry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #908
Octoman
Just Relax

Likes (Received): 6062

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassNsteel View Post
This tower employs Tuned Sloshing Dampers (TSD) which is basically a concrete tank half filled with water near the top. Inherently, it is hard to imagine how a TSD would fail. Also, keep in mind that the tower's "stepping" design was partly based on wind studies that recommended the wind be directed upward and around the tower. Basically, the set-back design of the tower manipulates the wind forces to relieve direct sustained pressure against any one "side" and therefore minimize severe wind sway.
Thanks, I hadnt heard of that. Just had a read about it on a few sites and its a very elegant solution. I agree that its hard to imagine it failing - other than a rupture in the system I guess.
It seems perfectly suited for this type of building too given it is associated with spires and suspension bridges normally.

Like Culwulla pointed out its a pretty robust structure too. I coudnt imagine it being compromised.

Bring on the steel
Octoman está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #909
Onur
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

They worked harder than Dubai Construction workers.

Zefire liked this post
Onur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #910
ramz

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
dude that's got to be one of the funniest things i read on this thread for month's, people need to grow a sense of humour. This is a website about skyscrapers and not about slave labour wright?? I'm amazed by this building, it's going to be stunning when it's finished. Everyday i'm somehow drawn to this thread to check for new picture's and info about it. Dam i'll go over and help finish it.
ramz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #911
TheGlobalizer

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:

TheGlobalizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 12:07 AM   #912
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

lol, ramz registered just to show his approval

We havent had any real news for the past week. Im guessing the form work is unchanged and our insiders have mentioned there is no sign of steel on the site. There was also an unconfirmed report from a user about a delay in the shipping of steel work.

Can anyone say for certain the curtain wall is not moving? Can anyone prove it has moved?
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #913
MetalliTooL

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolie View Post
Especially taking your passport, because no-one can except for the country of origin.
look it up
MetalliTooL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 04:56 AM   #914
twickline

Strike rages on at world's tallest tower in Dubai

Thousands of migrant builders in Dubai remained on strike on Wednesday, including many at the world's tallest tower, the emirate's construction giant Arabtec acknowledged.

"The situation has not changed and the workers are still on strike," Arabtec spokesman Ammar Tuqan told AFP when asked about the status of the firm's 34,000 staff.

He declined to go into further details but told the Dubai state-owned daily Emarat Al-Youm that only "around 1,500 Arabtec staff resumed work on Tuesday after a strike now running for nearly two weeks".

The company is "trying to persuade other workers to return to their jobs," Tuqan added.

The paper said that the "whole" of the company's workforce had joined the action for better wages and working conditions.

Burj Dubai is still under construction but it overtook Taiwan's Taipei 101 tower as the world's tallest building when it reached 512 metres (1,533 feet) in June. Its eventual height remains a closely guarded secret.

full article: http://www.africasia.com/services/ne...2.70q87d03.php
twickline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 06:46 AM   #915
LoverOfDubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indica View Post
..... There will probably only be 3 passenger elevators, and one freight elevator that will service that height (on top of the stairs). I still think that they are going to end up building office floors within the steel section until it gets almost to the pinnacle.. maybe 185-190 floors?? it will definitely be over 200 if you count the landings within the base of the spire and the spire itself (I mentioned this back when this building was only 35 floors tall). .....
Indica, thank you. For some reason I felt that I was the only person that believes there will be more floors in the steel section. Many people are saying that the Burj Dubai's floors will soon end. I, just like you, believe that they will continue into the steel structure. Many people seem to think that the whole steel section is the spire. I think that the whole spire will be in the steel section, but there will also be floors just below that (still apart of the steel section).
I am glad you brought this up. Hopefully it can create more descent discussions.
Personally, I think that the Burj Dubai will be exactly 200 floors. Even if the floor area is really small, it will still be called the 200th floor.
LoverOfDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 07:06 AM   #916
MetalliTooL

It's moving so slow. Slower than mechanical floors. Wtf is going on? Could it be that the strike is causing a much bigger impact on the construction than officials want us to believe?
Old November 8th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #917
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Changing from concrete to steel is a big deal, bigger than mechanical floors I would think. Didn't the SWFC stop for like a month when they transitioned from concrete core to steel?
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #918
MetalliTooL

Is there any evidence that they're actually moving on to steel now?
Old November 8th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #919
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie Maea View Post
Changing from concrete to steel is a big deal, bigger than mechanical floors I would think. Didn't the SWFC stop for like a month when they transitioned from concrete core to steel?
Very good point there mate.

Just need to be patient guys and gals...
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 08:55 AM   #920
LoverOfDubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalliTooL View Post
Is there any evidence that they're actually moving on to steel now?
None that I know of. A van with the Eversendai name does not mean that the steel will start next week, it just means that it is coming up soon (but we do not know how soon). I remember a while back (maybe 3 weeks ago or more) I read somewhere that the steel would start at floor 160. I do not know from where other people are getting their information. I will just wait to see when the steel starts, then I will know.

Just because someone posts a diagram of the Burj Dubai showing how high it will be, what levels will contain what, and how high the concrete will go, it does not mean that it is true. I will not believe anything I see, read or hear unless it is an official document/statement by Emaar, or by the CTBUH after completion.
LoverOfDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae