daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 15th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #9221
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequal View Post
You can now enter your own name for the Burj Dubai Lake Fountains.

The fountain in Burj Dubai Lake is envisaged as a water, light and music spectacle – truly, one of the world’s finest water features.

To shoot water spray up to a height of 500 ft – equivalent to a 50-storey building, the fountain will have over 6,000 lights and 50 colour projectors, with the water features swaying to the melody of Arabic and international music.

Just use your imagination and find a name for the largest fountains in the world:

http://www.emaar.com/VRTours/VR_Bujdubai/Index.asp
Too bad you have to submit UAE passport or Residency Visa requirements to enter. *sighs*. Thought of some neat names too.
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #9222
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmentioned View Post
Dubai, as spectacular and awe-inspiring as it is, is ultimately an unsustainably decadent orgy of fanciful and unrealistic planning and building practices. Does anyone really think that this suburbia-on-steroids can keep on growing indefinitely?

Dubai as it exists now and will exist for the next ten or twenty years will be a wonderful place to live and visit, but one day, likely in the first half of this century, Emirati leaders will begin to regret the lack of density, auto-centrism, laughable excuse for a public transit system, and outrageously unsustainable architecture.

We shall see. For now, build on! It's not like the earth has finite natural resources anyway, right?
Well, that's just your (UN-INFORMED) opinion.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #9223
SpaceScraper
SpaceScraper

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Actually, there are a lot of informed real estate experts that believe property values in Dubai may start to decline in 2010 because of an excess supply of commerical and residential space being completed around that time. Time will tell. Whatever the outcome, the architecuture that has been built is still amazing.
SpaceScraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #9224
Dequal
Architect

Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceScraper View Post
Whatever the outcome, the architecuture that has been built is still amazing.
And I doubt that another city can beat this. (in an architecture way)
Old August 15th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #9225
unmentioned

Likes (Received): 527

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Let's hear your "informed" opinion, then, shall we?

Let me guess: Dubai will continue to grow exponentially and indefinitely and be the most lavish and successful city in the world with a population of one hundred million and seven-thousand-foot towers and an indoor ocean and a lunar colony and real castles and princesses and dragons and no pollution, congestion, poverty, or strain on energy sources.

Informed. Realistic.
unmentioned no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #9226
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3503

Quote:
Dubai, as spectacular and awe-inspiring as it is, is ultimately an unsustainably decadent orgy of fanciful and unrealistic planning and building practices. Does anyone really think that this suburbia-on-steroids can keep on growing indefinitely?

Dubai as it exists now and will exist for the next ten or twenty years will be a wonderful place to live and visit, but one day, likely in the first half of this century, Emirati leaders will begin to regret the lack of density, auto-centrism, laughable excuse for a public transit system, and outrageously unsustainable architecture.

We shall see. For now, build on! It's not like the earth has finite natural resources anyway, right?

[IMG]http://i37.************/63vic0.jpg[/IMG]

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #9227
cooperchris

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Let's hear your "informed" opinion, then, shall we?

Let me guess: Dubai will continue to grow exponentially and indefinitely and be the most lavish and successful city in the world with a population of one hundred million and seven-thousand-foot towers and an indoor ocean and a lunar colony and real castles and princesses and dragons and no pollution, congestion, poverty, or strain on energy sources.

Informed. Realistic.
No city including Dubai can grow at its current rate forever. Dubai is building like crazy now so that by about 2015, tourism will become a big source of income. After then, the building rate will reduce dramatically. I think once Aj Burj is finished, building will nearly stop. As for energy, some of the new designs by Adrian Smith are efficient.
cooperchris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #9228
Capn Jef

Likes (Received): 9

No one said that, unmentioned. Don't be irrational.
Capn Jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #9229
unmentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperchris View Post
As for energy, some of the new designs by Adrian Smith are efficient.
What a marvelous achievement! Some!

don't let my facetiousness fool you. I'm not an idiot, and I understand enough about the development goals of the U.A.E. to understand that they are working toward something halfway respectable and, despite my feelings that it's somewhat tasteless, respect the Emirati leaders' prerogative to seek World-Class status.

However. I too often feel like many, many forumers here just look at it like, "YAY! TALL BUILDINGS! BIGGER! TALLER! CRAZIER! MORE AIR CONDITIONING!"

and I attempted, to little avail, to attempt to inject some perspective into the conversation.

My apologies. ::bows::
Old August 15th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #9230
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Quote:
What a marvelous achievement! Some!

don't let my facetiousness fool you. I'm not an idiot, and I understand enough about the development goals of the U.A.E. to understand that they are working toward something halfway respectable and, despite my feelings that it's somewhat tasteless, respect the Emirati leaders' prerogative to seek World-Class status.

However. I too often feel like many, many forumers here just look at it like, "YAY! TALL BUILDINGS! BIGGER! TALLER! CRAZIER! MORE AIR CONDITIONING!"

and I attempted, to little avail, to attempt to inject some perspective into the conversation.

My apologies. ::bows::
Skyscrapers are better for the enviroment than the suburb sprawl in the USA.

Old August 15th, 2008, 11:52 PM   #9231
unmentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Green View Post
Skyscrapers are better for the enviroment than the suburb sprawl in the USA.
I wouldn't disagree with you for one second. Granted, just because Dubai has skyscrapers doesn't mean it isn't car-oriented sprawl... check your definition of sprawl and get back to me ;]
Old August 16th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #9232
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

It will be nice when the school break is over and the kids are going to bed early.
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #9233
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Quote:
I wouldn't disagree with you for one second. Granted, just because Dubai has skyscrapers doesn't mean it isn't car-oriented sprawl... check your definition of sprawl and get back to me ;]
The metro + trams in Dubai will reach more people than the metro in LA.
Right now Dubai depends on car but things will change.

Because of suburbia in the USA it is impossible to reach most people with a metro in the suburbs.

The biggest parts of Dubai are build along the SZR and the Creek. The metro will not be far away for most of the people.

Old August 16th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #9234
Pablobegood

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident View Post

[IMG]http://i38.************/2nr1qtz.jpg[/IMG]

Highest Ladders ever thread : LOL
I can't get that palm tree and its "overlaped" shadow. looks like a bad photoshop work
Pablobegood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 02:20 AM   #9235
Alle

Quote:

Dubai is a city planned for 2.5 - 3 million, maybe you should turn your concerns otherwere for the issue of resources.

Other than that, Dubai not being perfect and certainly I wouldnt want that for european cities for example, there is nothing bad for consumers to have a lot of good facilities available.

Altough Abu Dhabi will be better than Dubai, I believe.

We may claim that parts of the UAE is indeed developing beyond what might be expected from such a small place though. Given the size of the local population, but then they do have a lot of resources to invest.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]

Last edited by Alle; August 16th, 2008 at 02:25 AM.
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 02:37 AM   #9236
ericlewis91

how deep/ big is the fake lake? will there be wildlife in the lake (fish?)
ericlewis91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 02:44 AM   #9237
unmentioned

I suppose my major issue with Dubai is just how extravagant and artificial so much of the new development is. Perhaps Dubai will be seen as a truly great city 75 or 100 years from now, after it has had time to develop the dense, walkable, human-scale urban fabric of a real city. But for now, Sheikh Zayed Road and all of the absurd development going on all around it makes Dubai look like just one enormous theme park.

That's all I have to say on this thread. Crucify me as you like.
Old August 16th, 2008, 02:49 AM   #9238
Mark Rejhon

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablobegood View Post
I can't get that palm tree and its "overlaped" shadow. looks like a bad photoshop work
Actually, that's not photoshop.

This is commonly caused by combining flash and long exposure, combined with camera shake. The shadow (dark color) is the photograph of the palm tree without the flash. It's a pretty common occurance familiar with people who use the "flash+long exposure" feature of a camera. So you're actually seeing a dark blurred image of the palm tree, that's ending in a non-blurred illuminated palm-tree image. Imagine a blurred photo where 99% of the exposure is non-flash and 1% of the exposure is flash, and you understand this 'shadow' effect. I have personally witnessed this 'fakeshadow-like' effect with real camera photographs, taking pictures of dark objects against a dimly lit background, that are suddenly illuminated by flash.

The blurring elsewhere in the photograph is sufficient evidence of camera shake, and the illumination seen shows that a flash has definitely been used. The illumination of the background shows that a long exposure has been used. Otherwise a flash would automatically darken background objects as the camera automatically used a shorter exposure for flash photography. This definitely isn't the case. So, quite obviously, a long exposure and a flash was combined in the same photograph.

Camera shake: evidence exists due to blurring
Long exposure: evidence exists due to blurring and well-exposed background
Flash: evidence exists due to foreground illumination

Plus

It is well known among highly experienced photographers familiar with the flash+longexp feature, that combining flash+long exposure causes this weird shadowing effect during camera shake

Therefore

It is NOT photoshop
Mark Rejhon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 03:34 AM   #9239
[email protected]
Totally Free

Likes (Received): 2

This is my first time posting in this forum, and I cant believe how tall it is, it looks amazing, Id like to visit it someday, what an incredible view you may have from the top!!!

Anyone knows how tall are the surrounded buildings of the Burj Dubai??? If they are not very tall, the burj dubai will be seen even taller!!

Sorry if my english isnt very good ... I'm Mexican
s@my93 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 03:42 AM   #9240
[email protected]
Totally Free

Likes (Received): 2

does anybody know when the Burj Dubai construction will be finished??

Thanks for answering
s@my93 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae