daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 29th, 2008, 12:35 AM   #9561
dfrench8456
A Beast A Problem

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
http://aycu05.webshots.com/image/497...3431056_rs.jpg

this may help your mind clear a little bit.

If you also mean by highest floor we can access to, the internal ladder goes up far more than 700 metres.

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/9...onbestsug4.jpg

this diagram is older but shows how far up the ladder goes upto (768 metres)
Thanks thats what i was looking for.
dfrench8456 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #9562
zee
Jelly Bean!!

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequal View Post
Just wait for the first rain and then it will shine as a beauty
how often does it rain in dubai?
zee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 02:23 AM   #9563
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10101

diagram update
fury, have i got the cranes right? havent seen a recent pic.

image hosted on flickr
Old August 29th, 2008, 02:51 AM   #9564
TallBox

Likes (Received): 421

Going back to the question of the lifetime of this tower... I think the main factor is MAINTENANCE.

Let's think of the components of the Burj Dubai:
  • Concrete core: Lifetime = 1000s of years. E.g. the Pantheon's domed roof in Rome. Used to support a lot of weight (e.g. the Hoover Dam)
  • Steel spire/pinnacle: Lifetime = 100s of years. Okay, susceptible to rust, stresses, microfractures etc. But with maintenance, can last definitely a few centuries I would say (e.g. look at the Golden Gate Bridge still going strong)
  • Glazed envelope: Lifetime = 30 years? Short lifetime due to weathering (e.g. sandblasting), but it's not a problem because it's very easy to replace and buildings are forever replacing glass panels
  • Building services plant and distribution: Lifetime = 30 years? There is space within the building to upgrade and renovate. Not a problem
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #9565
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10101

the concrete of Burj Dubai is an even better /stronger/ longer lasting recipe then years ago.
Old August 29th, 2008, 03:42 AM   #9566
l'eau
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequal View Post
Just wait for the first rain and then it will shine as a beauty
but dubai is desertthere is always dust in dubai
l'eau no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 03:47 AM   #9567
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi Cul.

Diagram looks good as usual.

The crane heights look pretty close. The right crane could have its highest red section up at the top of tier 20 and another connection to the structure there.

Old August 29th, 2008, 03:52 AM   #9568
Abuedz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hey Build - the ladder continues to the top platform inside the pinnacle.

Hey Rob - the top platform "floor" is at 818.0 The top of the handrail is at 819.1. The plans say 818.0 total. The official measurement when taken after completion might include the top handrail and the Concourse level below the ground level for a total of 825.1.

Hey Deq - nice site but you may want to do some research before posting. There never has been an 815 m. plan. I know it was probably a typo but you posted some time ago that the Army will be putting communication equipment in the spire of the BD. I don't know where you got this but I have never heard anything about this before. I asked for your source but alas - no response.

Hey Abuedz - Great work on helping out on the cladding problem but your posts come on a little strong. I am sure the Burj would have still been built without your help. Do keep posting good info as you have done in the past.

Hey Altin - I heard you on the first column of section 21A. Great info - keeping us informed. So 694.5 m. One more section and we will be over 700 meters - wow. I haven't thought for a couple years now that the structure will only be 705 m. - or that 940 that was being thrown around either.

Strange they lowered the smaller crane one section. They may use it at this height for some time but why lower it one section ? I had noticed a while ago they never put in a red section at the top of tier 20 like they have been for every other tier top and like the other crane did. Perhaps they lowered it and are waiting for a red section to arrive onsite then they will raise it up - I kinda doubt that but who knows.

It will be interesting when we get some shots of the top. I wonder if they are building the pipe that will is the base of the pinnacle as they go or if they will wait untill they getting ready to jack it up.

it was already built up to 120 storeys w/o cladding for more than 2 years. thats my point.
Abuedz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 04:06 AM   #9569
Fury
Proudly Canadian

- Like I said great job getting the cladding happening.

I bet you have alot of info you can't share with us about the Burj but do let us know anything you can.

Cladding particulars, brackets, etc. - anything will be gladly absorbed.

Who do you work for anyway ?

Last edited by Fury; August 29th, 2008 at 04:25 AM.
Fury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 04:21 AM   #9570
Fury
Proudly Canadian

On the window cleaning topic.

Quote from AMInfo

The cladding will be cleaned using an advanced window washing and fašade maintenance system consisting of twelve permanently-installed, track-mounted, telescopic building maintenance machines located in internal garages at the tower's mechanical zones.

The manned cleaning cradles of the machines will be capable of serving the entire facade from its garage level downward to level 5 with jib arm lengths when fully extended of over 20 metres.

Quote from Robinson Solutions

The towers primary window washing & facade and maintenance system consists of three permanently installed, track mounted, telescopic building maintenance machines located in internal garage postions on uppermost levels. The manned cleaning cradle for each machine is capable of serving the entire facade from its garage level downward to level seven.

Each machines jib arm when extended will have a reach of over 36 meters with an overal length of 45 meters. Under normal conditions, with all three units in operation it will take 3 to 4 months to clean the entire building once. There is a separate system for the tower spire including a mobile elevated work platform.

We can be sure this thing will be looking shiny all the time. There will be alot of cameras pointed at it when it is completed being the WTS for years. Not like there isn't alot now but there will be even more when it opens.

Old August 29th, 2008, 08:36 AM   #9571
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'eau View Post
but dubai is desertthere is always dust in dubai

it will be a reall pain in the a.ss cleaning those windows...
Old August 29th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #9572
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Hi all.

Larger Favco Crane:

I am now wondering if the higher crane is going to be raised any higher.

The top of its mast is now even with the top of tier 21. The spire lifting methodology that has been posted here many times shows one crane only and the top of its mast at the top of tier 20. The drawing is quite old so I am not reading much into the 1 tier difference other than the fact that the crane doesn't need to go any higher to get ready for jacking.

Another observation is they never put in a red section into the crane mast that is 5 above the last red section. The 5th section is the top of the mast and is even with the top of tier 21. Now the fact they put in red sections at the top of each tier and they never this time doesn't really mean anything but it is an anomaly that I think is significant.

So based on the above 2 reasons and the fact the smaller crane lowered itself a week ago I think the crane(s) may be topped out.

Old August 29th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #9573
Capn Jef

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJZG View Post
it will be a reall pain in the a.ss cleaning those windows...
Please refer to the post DIRECTLY before yours.
Capn Jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 10:59 AM   #9574
Abuedz

from a friend... maybe old pic

[IMG]http://i34.************/bg4ggn.jpg[/IMG]
Abuedz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 11:20 AM   #9575
baalberith304

that's right, it's a very old pic. The steel part of the structure is not even begun.
baalberith304 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #9576
rick123

Likes (Received): 31

Nobody answered:
How often does it rain? How many sunny days do you have there during the year?
rick123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #9577
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

only according to WIKIPEDIA

Rainfall is generally light, with a mean of about 150 millimetres (6 in) per year; precipitation is usually centered around January, February and March. However, heavy rain is not uncommon in Dubai during the winter months and January 2008 saw a record of 120mm (or 5") of rain falling in just 24 hours, [34] The mean humidity in Dubai is about 60% and is higher during the cooler winter months.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #9578
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by baalberith304 View Post
that's right, it's a very old pic. The steel part of the structure is not even begun.
Wrong, the picture is not that old and it shows glass on the steel section.
I can cheat you blind.

Last edited by AltinD; August 29th, 2008 at 02:18 PM.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #9579
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
only according to WIKIPEDIA

Rainfall is generally light, with a mean of about 150 millimetres (6 in) per year; precipitation is usually centered around January, February and March. However, heavy rain is not uncommon in Dubai during the winter months and January 2008 saw a record of 120mm (or 5") of rain falling in just 24 hours, [34] The mean humidity in Dubai is about 60% and is higher during the cooler winter months.
The humidity is higher in the summer, it reached 95% a few days ago. It was also drizzling last night but we heard that they were experimenting with artificial rain in Abu Dhabi so maybe that caused it here.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #9580
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2607

Sorry to bring up an old hat, but this thread has gotten really large and the search STILL doesn't work... How high was that fountain going to be again?
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae