daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 9th, 2007, 02:59 AM   #961
idkblk
-InQontrol-

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by walli View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/1...ai-bridge.html

Dubai bridge collapse kills 7, injures 15
Last Updated: Thursday, November 8, 2007 | 12:16 PM ET
The Associated Press

excerpts:
---
A bridge under construction in thr booming Gulf city of Dubai collapsed Thursday, killing seven workers and injuring 15, Dubai police said.
---
"We tried to put a huge piece of metal in a wall when it collapsed," said Muthu Raj, who said he was among 30 Indian workers on the bridge when it collapsed. "I saw colleagues trapped inside, but I managed to jump back and stepped on the road."
---

Mhh... is that the new bridge next to the Infinity Tower construction? I think there is a bridge currently built over the marina, because the existing one is too low.

@Imre:

Have you ever posted pictures of that bridge construction? I think i remember but i'm not sure. Maybe it was somewhere else.
If yes, do you remember in which thread? I just scrolled through some, but didnt find anything..

Thx
idkblk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2007, 03:20 AM   #962
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

yes , next to the Infinity plot after the old bridge ,I posted here:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...280376&page=72

and here

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...425571&page=88

it was my last post:

24/October/2007

next to the Grosvenor House

It is interesting , we were fishing front of the Infinity site but after when the accident happened they closed that area and we moved to under the new and old bridge.( after we moved to the another side of the marina , front of the Dorra Bay plot , anyway another new bridge going to be there)

2 old pics (first one is close to the the Infinity , second one is the new bridge)

29/Jan/2007

Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 04:50 AM   #963
idkblk
-InQontrol-

Likes (Received): 2

Ahh! Thx, that was a quick answer

So the whole thing suddently collapesed? Or just part?
They dont really have a lot of luck in this specific area... dont they, huh
idkblk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 04:56 AM   #964
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Kuwait Burj-beater plans get green light

Kuwait has taken another a step closer to trumping Gulf Arab neighbour Dubai in the race to build the world's tallest building after authorities approved initial plans for a colossal new development that includes a tower expected to be over one kilometre high.

Kuwait's Municipal Council on Wednesday approved drawing sketches of the 250-square kilometre development, known as the Madinat Al-Hareer, which will be build opposite the capital city across Kuwait Bay.

The council also agreed to the construction of the Jaber Al-Ahmed Bridge that will link the two urban centres
The Madinat Al-Hareer, or City of Silk, is expected to take around 25 years to build and cost an estimated $86 billion. There is no indication yet as to when construction will begin.

The project includes construction of a 200-hectare natural desert reservation, a new airport, a large business centre, as well as areas that concentrate on the environment, sports, media, health, education, and industry.
At its centre will be the Burj Mubarak Al-Kabir, a tower soaring 1,001 metres into the air - almost twice the height of Taiwan's Taipei 101, which is 509 metres tall and officially still the world's tallest building.

The Burj Dubai overtook Taipei 101 earlier this year as the world's tallest building, but will not be officially recognised until construction is completed at the end of next year.

The final height of the Burj has yet to be revealed, but it is expected to between 700 and 900 metres. A local media report [B][last month claimed the final height will be 818 metres/B], citing architects drawings posted on the internet.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/50373...en-light?ln=en
helghast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 05:13 AM   #965
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10135

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdl76 View Post
I love this building. It really defines what a skyscraper is.....good job Dubai!! I just wish the observation deck was at the highest occupable floor.....that would be amazing. As it stands, the OB wont be much higher than the skypod in the CN Tower.....right??
the skypod in CN Tower is tiny (only 15m across) and 447m high.
the lev124 ob deck in Burj Dubai will be 442m high and boast an large outdoor viewing area. maybe tallest in world?
not only you can look down over 400m. also you will be able to look up 400m!! how many ob decks are like that?

lev124 floor plan (outdoor area at right) (32m wide x 15m deep) approx 500sqm

Last edited by CULWULLA; November 9th, 2007 at 05:19 AM.
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #966
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10135

thanks imre
just a quick question. are there any other people taking photos when you take them?
looks every bit 156 floors
ps- if anyone wants to know what height observation deck is, its the highest tier at right of the tower. -has an orange cover over it. looks bloody to me.
Old November 9th, 2007, 05:42 AM   #967
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast View Post
...A local media report last month claimed the final height will be 818 metres, citing architects drawings posted on the internet.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/50373...en-light?ln=en
hahaha Culwulla gets another mention of his 'leaked diagram''
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 07:36 AM   #968
Imre
Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
thanks imre
just a quick question. are there any other people taking photos when you take them?
yes, sometimes I see some people there.
Old November 9th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #969
Imre
Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkblk View Post

They dont really have a lot of luck in this specific area... dont they, huh
I put some fresh pics here:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=544685&page=3
Old November 9th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #970
Infrasuper Planet
Infrasuper Planet

Likes (Received): 1

Hello Skyscraper Fans! I've been watching this thread for about 6 months now and finally i've got the energy to actually post something. LOL
I have been absolutely taken aback at this massive concrete monster and I am really hoping for this tower to defy all plans we've seen and give us a huge surprise in the end. I'm hoping for the tower to be around the 900m mark - very intimidating figure and not quite out of proportion at the same time. BTW, whats taking the developers so long to progress with construction? I think the tower has remained the same high since the middle of October. i understand the strikes that have gone on and the delay in the shipment of steel, however isn't it starting to become a bit behind schedule? or maybe the steel section will sky rocket up in no time. i dunno, but lets hope they continue to keep pouring concrete.
Also a very very big thankyou to Imre, Old Town Resident et al, for taking amazing photographs of this beautiful building and surroundings and sharing it with the entire Skyscraper City Community. Well done guys and keep up the great work.

Aerials are Beyond Ones Mind to Imagine.
We are watching the Future Rise from the depth of the Earth and into the Heavens ever Higher
Infrasuper Planet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 10:09 AM   #971
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1134

concrete
Old November 9th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #972
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkblk View Post

It didn't suddenly collapsed, the support was knocked down by 1.5 Tons of rebars hanging from the crane.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #973
Imre
Dubai

Workers refuse to go back to work on Burj Dubai in continuing protest

Workers continue protest

An Emaar spokesperson said work is continuing on Burj Dubai despite the recent workers' protest.

Dubai: Several hundred workers continued to protest for the eight successive day on thursday, demanding an increase in salaries.

Labour ministry officials said the workers started their protest at their labour accommodation on November 1, demanding a raise, and have not gone back to work.

Efforts are being made for a settlement, but the workers have not changed their stand.

An Emaar spokesperson said: "Work is continuing on Burj Dubai for on-schedule completion at the end of 2008. As is evident to residents and visitors to Dubai, Burj Dubai has already reached 156 levels and calldding work is ogin on at an accelerated pace."
(Gulfnews)
Old November 9th, 2007, 11:37 AM   #974
sky6one

Thanks for all the infromations Imre

good job, love the pic's
sky6one no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 12:42 PM   #975
VRS

Likes (Received): 11521

increase their salary.....cause they working area now at the highest man construction in the world....
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 01:18 PM   #976
Jude12
Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 43

yea. i second that
Jude12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #977
great184
visionary

Likes (Received): 281

Its about time they stop exploting and start increasing the standard of living of construction workers, including those not working on the Burj Dubai. Only then would the construction of these monoliths would be completely justified.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1536278
great184 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #978
ricardonho

Likes (Received): 0

Floor plans

Did anyone have the floor plans of burj dubai???
I´m a architect entusiast and im curious about the apartment floor plans, if burj dubai wil have duplex apartments and hotel rooms, or duplex offices, etc...

How it will be inside??? Anyone have any image of how it will be??? ( decoration, floor plants, etc... )

thanks!
ricardonho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 02:16 PM   #979
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

ricardonho

here you have a link http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/facts.html hope i could help you!
Old November 9th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #980
mafic
Unregistered User

Not only the Burj Dubai but the development in this complex is just amazing!
mafic no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae