daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 6th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #9801
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by antovador View Post
when rising floors the tower go more thin but with the men as scale the top is still enormous.
antovador, thats the impression I got from that photo, its a lot bigger than we think looking looking at the normal zoom pics, and considering the steel sections are large sectional value, I think there is huge scope for building higher than we may expect.

Bikes, from the ground standing next to the BD there is not much to see except for the main outline of the steelwork and not much detail of what is going on.

As a smoker I watch quite a bit of activity every day from my balcony, so cant wait for the spire activity and breaking 700 m soon.

Last edited by Old Town Resident; September 6th, 2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2008, 07:35 PM   #9802
Bikes
sababa

Likes (Received): 2672

Let us know when you see the next level erecting through the smoke
Old September 6th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #9803
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

size of those men just shows how slender the top of Burj Dubai is, at next tiers they need to be very cramped in on the floors.

questions:

How many external elevators removed now?

Are those thick metal bars going horizontally across the mechanical floor gonna be covering all the mechanical floors ofthe building?
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #9804
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikes View Post
Let us know when you see the next level erecting through the smoke
I'm sure he'll do ... however not through the kind of smoke you think/wish it is.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 12:08 AM   #9805
Euromax
SSC Dominicana | Veterano

Likes (Received): 298

wow! its looking good over there ... omg i give way more credit to the hardworking workers that made it possible.

2 0 1 6
Dominican Republic | Republica Dominicana
Euromax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 12:19 AM   #9806
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident View Post
antovador, thats the impression I got from that photo, its a lot bigger than we think looking looking at the normal zoom pics, and considering the steel sections are large sectional value, I think there is huge scope for building higher than we may expect.

Bikes, from the ground standing next to the BD there is not much to see except for the main outline of the steelwork and not much detail of what is going on.

As a smoker I watch quite a bit of activity every day from my balcony, so cant wait for the spire activity and breaking 700 m soon.
Ill take a stab at it - maybe 600 to 900 sq feet at the very highest point currently??

We were guessing on this months and months ago - So what do you guys think is the size of the floor plates at the highest point right now? I still cant help but to think that they had the plans to build offices higher up than level 162 - It seems small to us, but Im willing to bet that there is still plenty of space up there for a couple of passenger lifts, a big service/fireman lift, a stairwell, and bathrooms to go with some extra boutique offices..

I also noticed somebody in this post a while back asking about the little floorplates extending from the building on the final concrete floors just below where the steel starts. It looks like there is a doorway, and maybe only a few feet of floor plate in front of you - Those are Boutique Offices apparently and I have been trying to figure out the size of them for a while now - I believe the the plate sticks out about 8-12 feet from the doorway (though it doesnt look it) despite how tiny they look (maybe about 25-30 ft long?).
Old September 7th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #9807
Capn Jef

Likes (Received): 9

I wish I had some skyscrapers to watch when I smoke.

OTR sounds like he has a good set up.
Capn Jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 12:57 AM   #9808
Mithat
Just a user

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indica View Post
Ill take a stab at it - maybe 600 to 900 sq feet at the very highest point currently??

We were guessing on this months and months ago - So what do you guys think is the size of the floor plates at the highest point right now? I still cant help but to think that they had the plans to build offices higher up than level 162 - It seems small to us, but Im willing to bet that there is still plenty of space up there for a couple of passenger lifts, a big service/fireman lift, a stairwell, and bathrooms to go with some extra boutique offices..

I also noticed somebody in this post a while back asking about the little floorplates extending from the building on the final concrete floors just below where the steel starts. It looks like there is a doorway, and maybe only a few feet of floor plate in front of you - Those are Boutique Offices apparently and I have been trying to figure out the size of them for a while now - I believe the the plate sticks out about 8-12 feet from the doorway (though it doesnt look it) despite how tiny they look (maybe about 25-30 ft long?).
You are right about your guess, there should be around 60-70 sqm up there. But it is by far less then enough to accommodate the things you mentioned. Put the elevators, a staircase and the bathrooms and you will be mostly done. maybe you might have a very small bedroom left. And don't forget the lifts and the staircase will be in the centre so this very little remaining space will be very narrow because it has to surround the lift area.
Mithat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 01:02 AM   #9809
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

for some reason the men in OTR pic are alot bigger then normal. and the ladders are at pretty much at the right size
Old September 7th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #9810
Mithat
Just a user

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast View Post
for some reason the men in OTR pic are alot bigger then normal. and the ladders are at pretty much at the right size
that might be due to extreme zooming. to see this picture like this with normal human eye you need to be close to the object, so the the things on 2nd and 3rd floors should look relatively smaller than the things on the 1st floor.

But this picture is taken from hundreds of meters away, so from that point there will be almost no proportion difference in perspective between those floors. But your eyes expect to see some proportion difference in perspective and you can't, hence you might think further objects are bigger then they really are.
Old September 7th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #9811
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Nice shots Imre and OTR.

Here is the size of tier 21 - the one they are working on now.

[IMG]http://i38.************/2a4tjsz.jpg[/IMG]

Yes I see the self climbing form for the smaller crane is gone. I figured last week it wouldn't go any higher but they could still use it for a while at this height (or not). I think the bigger crane will stay up untill the spire jacking is done - and it may be as high as it needs to go also - we shall see.

Can't be long now untill the first column of section 21B and 700.9 meters - What a milestone !

I'm just itchin' to see the jacking proceedure but it may wait untill all 3 sections of tier 22 are up by the looks of that detail print I posted a few days ago - we shall see.

Old September 7th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #9812
Mithat
Just a user

Hi Fury,

I asked this couple of times before but didn't get any reply. Do you think it is possible that they don't start with the jacking procedure until the tower is completely finished, so they can keep the height secret as long as possible?
Old September 7th, 2008, 01:41 AM   #9813
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

A better view of the aluminium flooring and scale comparison with men although a few levels down from where we are today..

[IMG]http://i33.************/raud5k.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Old Town Resident; September 7th, 2008 at 01:47 AM.
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 03:15 AM   #9814
Pablobegood

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident View Post
A better view of the aluminium flooring and scale comparison with men although a few levels down from where we are today..
Oh men, this is great!
Any chances to get this foto at higer resolution?
Pablobegood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 04:27 AM   #9815
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithat View Post
Hi Fury,

I asked this couple of times before but didn't get any reply. Do you think it is possible that they don't start with the jacking procedure until the tower is completely finished, so they can keep the height secret as long as possible?
Hi Mithat.

While anything is possible I don't think they will delay the jacking untill near completion. I think they will erect 4 more sections (to 22B) and get right after the jacking. The most recent (1 1/2 years old) schedule shows top out at the start of November. I don't think anyone still believes that. It will take untill well into October to erect all of tier 22 then its anyones guess how long the actual jacking will take - I'm guessing top out in late December.

I can't wait.

Old September 7th, 2008, 06:26 AM   #9816
drew.magoo

Likes (Received): 17

theyre already on tier 21?
i guess its kinda hard to tell from the ground shots
thanks for the above shot btw, its really cool
i wonder what its like working up there
having a mixture of pride and fear, being on top of the tallest point ever made by man.
drew.magoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 06:52 AM   #9817
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Hi Drew.

You bet section 21A (second section of tier 21) pretty much done.

Section 21B and 700.9 meters should be very soon.

Old September 7th, 2008, 07:06 AM   #9818
DennisS
Just a student

Likes (Received): 70

New floor is started! Pics coming...

700 meters!!!

Last edited by DennisS; September 7th, 2008 at 07:13 AM.
DennisS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #9819
Fury
Proudly Canadian

WooHoo !!

700.9 meters !!

Old September 7th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #9820
Latheesh_r

Likes (Received): 705

Wow...this is an engineering master piece

Kudos to all the workers for their hardwork
Latheesh_r no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae