daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 10th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #9961
cooperchris

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast View Post
thats the jacking equipment for the spire, read post 9890
which documentary ?
It was the channel 5 one.

I think we should start a new Burj Dubai section once this one hits 500 pages, and we are on 499 now...
cooperchris no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #9962
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240721

The earthquake was from Iran:
*from Al Jazeera english*
Quote:
Earthquake shakes southern Iran
An earthquake with an initial reading of 6.1 on the Richter scale has struck southern Iran.

The earthquake on Wednesday afternoon was near Bandar Abbas in Hormuzgan province, home to one of Iran's major oil refineries.

The quake may have caused fatalities, the provincial disaster headquarters chief told Reuters news agency.
"All our rescue groups are on alert in Bandar Abbas and [nearby] Qeshm island. We have sent groups to the area. There is the possibility of casualties and fatalities," Yasser Hazbavi said.

The US Geological Survey said the earthquake was 53km west-southwest of Bandar Abbas and at a depth of 55km.

Residents across the Gulf in the United Arab Emirates reported feeling the tremor.
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #9963
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Likes (Received): 36

CNN Report on Quake

(CNN) -- A strong earthquake measuring 6.1 in magnitude struck southern Iran on Wednesday, according to a preliminary report from the U.S. Geological Survey.

The epicenter was located about 55 km (35 miles) west-southwest of Bandar e-Abbas, Iran -- which is just across the narrow Strait of Hormuz from Oman.

The tremor could also be felt in Dubai, where CNN staff members said they felt the building they were in shake for about 15 to 20 seconds.

"From my office window at the Dubai Media City where all foreign media are located, I can see that a lot of offices have evacuated buildings," CNN Dubai Bureau Chief Samson Desta said.

"I can see up to perhaps 200 people who have taken refuge out in the streets, causing somewhat of a traffic jam."

There are concerns in Dubai, where there are a lot of high-rise buildings.
Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 03:57 PM   #9964
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperchris View Post
It was the channel 5 one.

I think we should start a new Burj Dubai section once this one hits 500 pages, and we are on 499 now...
could u post the link ?
Malec is going to make a new thread after it hits 10,000 posts, but i think we should make one when she hits 700.9m

Last edited by helghast; September 10th, 2008 at 04:06 PM.
helghast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #9965
robert44444uk
Dhaka, Bangladesh

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
i read some where the burj can take up to a 8.0 on the rector scale, i'll go look for it and post it
One angry vicar!
robert44444uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #9966
cooperchris

Quote:
could u post the link ?
Malec is going to make a new thread after it hits 10,000 posts, but i think we should make one when she hits 700.9m
I think they will all happen at about the same time.

Don't have the link but search for 'Burj Dubai channel 5' on youtube, I think it's in 5 parts.
cooperchris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 06:40 PM   #9968
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Sorry, the post repeated itself....
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #9969
Mithat
Just a user

It wasn't a small earthquake. It was 6.2 in Iran and recorded 4.9 in the Emirates. In Dubai Media City I felt it very well, I felt the ground was spinning and swinging but I thought I was dizzy because you don't expect earthquakes in Dubai. Some buildings including The Gate at DIFC are evacuated. I wonder how they felt at the top of Burj Dubai
Mithat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #9970
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240721

#500 page... WOW!! - Interesting videos
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #9971
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithat View Post
It wasn't a small earthquake. It was 6.2 in Iran and recorded 4.9 in the Emirates. In Dubai Media City I felt it very well, I felt the ground was spinning and swinging but I thought I was dizzy because you don't expect earthquakes in Dubai. Some buildings including The Gate at DIFC are evacuated. I wonder how they felt at the top of Burj Dubai
on top of the burj Dubai they probably didn't felt anything
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #9972
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithat View Post
Especially the man controlling the crane who is by the way technically the highest human on Earth (highest above the ground directly below them and with a support under them, so excluding the people on planes)

Any way that craneman must been scared for his life, I take this more seriously after watching 0:42 of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E_Ii...eature=related
Old September 10th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #9973
Mithat
Just a user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
on top of the burj Dubai they probably didn't felt anything
What do you mean they didn't feel anything? The higher you go, the more you feel, without question. There are no dampers or any special systems in this building to absorb the force of an earthquake. So the highest point of this building will have the biggest momentum caused by the earthquake.

Or you are saying the top is swinging all the time anyways so they don't feel the difference?
Old September 10th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #9974
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

because the burj dubai is so massive and heavy it simply absorbs the energy of the earthquake, the higher the building the more energy it can absorb
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #9975
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
What are the things (at least 2 of them) sticking up from the top? Certanly not the wheels you showed in your last pics.
Hi Altin, from SZR today it looked as though a column had been put up, but still only the wheels when you look at the top through binoculars.

I will miss 700m as flying off for a few days again.....crap.
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #9976
Mithat
Just a user

Quote:
because the burj dubai is so massive and heavy it simply absorbs the energy of the earthquake, the higher the building the more energy it can absorb
OK you might have a point there, but the force of an earthquake is so massive that it is shaking mountains and land masses maybe a million times bigger than this tower. I don't think you can simply eliminate the effects of an earthquake just by building massive.

When the land below the tower moves, the tower moves as well, otherwise it would tear apart from the ground. When the base moves, the tower should be flexible enough to withstand the earthquake. So it swings. That would be at its maximum on the top. Maybe the building absorbed the vibration, but they were the ones swinging most.
Old September 10th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #9977
Dequal
Architect

Likes (Received): 503

A cool picture I've found on another forum.

Burj Dubai is hidden project for new moon rocket.

image hosted on flickr
Old September 10th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #9978
idkblk
-InQontrol-

Likes (Received): 2

To bring that thing up to space will use every remaining drop of fosil fuel we have on our planet...
idkblk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 11:03 PM   #9979
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

HAHA funny idea but is probaly true and would cost all the money on Earth.

One day human hopefully will be able to lift millions of tonnes of structure all the way out of Earth's atmosphere...

And has the debate about whether or not burj dubai shook during that earthquake today settled yet? I though obviously it would shake to the extent that the habitants inside the building would've felt the building shaking.
Old September 11th, 2008, 12:58 AM   #9980
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:

absoulutely! The sheer mass of these montrous buildings goes a LONG way in absorbing the energy waves from a quake! In Los Angeles where I live, the buildings downtown (built in the past 30-40 year range) are amongst
some of the safest, buildings in the area. The tallest we have (310m) is rated for up to an 8.5 big one (this big one is expected to be from 2-7 minutes long). If we get hit by this worst case scenario, this will be one of the only buildings still standing, without significant damage. of course it does have a dampening system though - large horzontal struts, and a core that apparently contains 5-10 times the amount of reinforcement when compared to most other supertalls..

it depends on if we are talking about the devastating type of quake that shakes up and down versus side to side.. sway from the side to side quakes does travel up the structures to the top well, if there is no dampning in the building, but the up and down shaking (the most damaging by far) is absorbed in great amounts by structure.

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae