daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 19th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #10141
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10144

^yes in reality its a 601m concrete structure but of course 15m of that is underground. such a feat 2000ft concrete pour. how unreal.
and now a 200m steel structure bolted on top.
over.

Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2008, 07:03 AM   #10142
carewser

Likes (Received): 15

Things i've learned from this building:

They don't get a lot of earthquakes in Dubai.
carewser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #10143
northway
It is north-way here

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-entric View Post
Aren't temperatures going to be a bit lower at 700m ?

Well, this is true. The amount of decrease is governed by the dry adiabatic lapse rate. The reason for this decrease is as follows. When a parcel of air rises, it expands, because the pressure is lower at higher altitudes. As the air parcel expands, it pushes on the air around it, doing work; but generally it does not gain heat in exchange from its environment, because its thermal conductivity is low (such a process is called adiabatic). Since the parcel does work and gains no heat, it loses energy, and so its temperature decreases.

The formula is the following:
dT/dz = -9.8 C/Km which means approximately 1 degree Celsius drop each 100 meters of height.

However the above calculation is valid for dry atmosphere. In dubai, though sometimes in the winter it really gets dry - especially after heavy rain showers, the usual case is near 100% humidity. In this case we use the saturated adiabatic lapse rate. To save your time, here is the difference:
dT/dz = -6.5 C/Km which means 0.65 degree Celsius drop each 100 meters

In the case of Burj Dubai, at 819, the drop in temperature will be at 6-8 degrees ..... great stuff indeed.
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:55 AM   #10144
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
makes sense.
However, heavy fog is also a common occurrence, especially in the winters when the temperature cools down.

... and when I say heavy, I mean HEAVY! It's scary
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #10145
Remnants-Of-Beauty
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi Ember.

They did correctly measure the concrete at 601 but they measured the total height of the concrete from the raft. The plans start from the floor of the ground level - 15.25 m. above the raft - that's why the top of the concrete is at 585.7 m.

Yeh i know that, it just seems odd that you can count underground concrete as part of the pumping record. (seeing as u wouldnt actually have to "pump" it you coudl just "drop it" into the hole.. (lol?) for example.... you could dig a 600m hole and fill it with conrete and have a 2m above ground... would that still count towards a pumping record...?

Makes me think that the buildings height itself will be taken from that lower level up. Seeing as they are counting 15m underground in the height of the pumping record. I hope so atleast, 601m concrete sounds better than 585m it would also give 15 more meters to the height which would bring it to 834m? Then i would increase the spire 16 meters to 850m.... sounds good to me!! ... (i know i know.. im dreaming lol)
Remnants-Of-Beauty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #10146
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3095

Will glass and cladding resist sand blasting during sand storms ? There are many buildings in Dubai that have been around for some years now so imagine they know what to expect.
Old September 19th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #10147
AvanGard
HMS

Likes (Received): 25

The Burj's cladding is of exceptionally high quality. It took a lot of testing and time to get designed and approved before it ever got near the tower.

It is expected to last for quite some time, the sheer amount of money that got invested into making it speaks for itself.
AvanGard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #10148
Julito-dubai
Yes We Can !

Location: Nanjing (CN), Beijing (CN), Braunschweig (GER), Dubai (UAE)
Likes (Received): 254

I WAS THE FIRST ONE TO FIND IT: !!!!!!!!!

Meraas dreams of a city in the sky
Bradley Hope

Last Updated: September 19. 2008 12:30AM UAE / September 18. 2008 8:30PM GMT
Demolition work has begun in the Satwa neighbourhood of Dubai for Jumeirah Garden City, but Meraas has not yet specified which of three building plans it will pursue. Pawan Singh / The National
It may seem like a tall order, but a Dubai developer is considering building a tower three times the height of the Burj Dubai.

Three designs have been drawn up for the planned Jumeirah Garden City project, with the most breathtaking being a 2.4km-high edifice called the Dubai City Tower.
Renderings of the Dubai City Tower show six separate buildings twisting into a single structure dubbed a “vertical city”, capped by a 400-metre “energy-producing spire”.

“The Dubai City Tower pushes every edge of building design,” says the design proposal, which is circulating on the internet.

“For centuries man has pushed construction toward the heavens. The sheer scale of this project will focus the world’s eye towards the city of Dubai, but it will be the tower’s design and image that will preserve Dubai City Tower’s grandeur into the future.”

Meraas, the property developer and private equity fund of Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid, Vice President of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, is behind the project, according to a consultant for the company and a developer familiar with the plans.

The Dubai City Tower would dwarf the Burj Dubai, which reached 688 metres earlier this month. Emaar, the developer of the Burj Dubai, has kept the final height secret in part to prevent other developers from announcing taller projects.

The design prospectus for the Dubai City Tower, which does not list its developer or architect, shows the tower looming over the waterfront, near a marina.

It would have 400 storeys with each set of 100 storeys forming a “neighbourhood” and a Sky Plaza operating as a “town centre”. A vertical bullet train would ferry people from one “neighbourhood” to another.

The building would be fitted with solar panels and wind turbines, and biospheres that double as recreational parks and water purification centres.

Carol Willis, the director of the Skyscraper Museum in New York and a professor of urban studies at Columbia University, said the project appeared “buildable in technical terms” but economically difficult to justify.

Alastair Collins, of the international Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, said that height was the easy part with skyscrapers.

“The hardest part is the servicing of the height: the transportation, power, water and waste disposal,” he said, adding that such a tower would also produce swarms of traffic.

Another of the plans for the Jumeirah Garden City project includes designs for a building called the Atrium City Towers, which would incorporate three tall towers and was designed by architects Adrian Smith and Gordon Gill. Mr Smith also designed the Burj Dubai.

A spokesman for Meraas declined to comment on the designs, but said the company would reveal its plans at Cityscape Dubai on Oct 6. An advertisement for Meraas on the Cityscape website hints at a design similar to the Atrium project.

“They are seeking to create a standout building in that location, which is otherwise going to be really low-level,” the consultant said. “It will have the best quality hotels and commercial space in the heart of what is going to be a predominantly residential area with gardens.”

Meraas was created in 2007 and gained attention this year when it joined a coalition of investors that financed Boston Properties’ purchase of the General Motors building in New York for US$2.8 billion (Dh10.28bn). It was the most expensive office building sale in American history.

Jumeirah Garden City will be located in two districts, Satwa and Al Wasl, that are being razed to make way for the new development. The project includes a canal system and several iconic buildings.

“Sheikh Mohammed likes competition,” a consultant familiar with the company said. “He wants to add another layer to the other government-backed developers to challenge Sama, DP World and Nakheel.”

The company has also been hiring veterans in the Dubai market, including Binod Shankar, the former chief financial officer of Dubai Waterfront Corporation; Rashid Doleh, the former chief executive of Emaar Malls Group; and Vivek Rao, the former head of finance at Tamweel.

A mile-high tower is planned by Kingdom Holdings for Jeddah in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait also has a 1km tower in the works. Nakheel, another Dubai developer, is expected to announce a tower to rise higher than 1km in Al Burj, according to published reports.

NOT BURJ DUBAI, BUT MEGA MEGA MEGA NEWS!!!! NOT A VISION

- Your man for special investigative tasks in the Yangtse River Delta ! -

Three things I am following on the Internet:

- Skyscraper Construction in China
- Developing Story of Andrea Rossi and the Ecat. A new technology to produce heat and electricity through a new nuclear process called LENR
- Discovery of Extrasolar Planets
Julito-dubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #10149
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2623

droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #10150
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Julito Dubai, you're also the first man to ever exist...
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #10151
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 241007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senju View Post
Who is going to clean the windows after a SAND STORM? Not me!!!!
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #10152
AvanGard
HMS

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julito-dubai View Post

Did anyone notice that in the second to last render of the so called “Dubai City Tower”, the final height of Burj Dubai is 701m, and that of Al Burj is 730m. Doesn’t that show just how “accurate” these renders really are.
AvanGard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #10153
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
yes it will, it can possibly be 35 degrees cooler or more
Old September 19th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #10154
Mikey
Aerial Erector

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Yes temp decreases by 2c for every 1000ft you asend
Mikey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 10:03 PM   #10155
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast View Post
yes it will, it can possibly be 3 - 5 degrees cooler or more
Fixed it for ya'
I can cheat you blind.

Old September 19th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #10156
Ember-To-Ashes

Likes (Received): 7

it appears i can post again =) excellent stuff

im guesing they would have started the next floor by now. should have some new pics this weekend ^_^
Ember-To-Ashes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:11 PM   #10157
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

They're also busy with the spire lifting system inside the current upper steel floors, so I don't expect steel floors progressing any faster from now.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #10158
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Yes temp decreases by 2c for every 1000ft you asend
i dont think thats true, for example. i watched a vid on the sears tower and they said when its 75 degrees at the base and at floor 78 its 65 degrees. so i dont think its 2c for every 1000ft . i'm not saying your wrong, but i'm just going off of what i watched and heard
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #10159
AltinD
The Modecator

You have to consider the "heat island" effect in urban areas, which make denser parts of cities much hotter then the rest of them.

I remember a few years back when I was driving in a very dense area and the car thermometer was showing 52. I took a turn just a small block away into an area probably effected by wind, and the temperature immediately drooped to 47.

... needless to say I was also stuck in traffic for long the car A/C couldn't cope with it and just kept shutting off. HELLLLLLL
I can cheat you blind.

Old September 19th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #10160
backupcoolmen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast View Post
i dont think thats true, for example. i watched a vid on the sears tower and they said when its 75 degrees at the base and at floor 78 its 65 degrees. so i dont think its 2c for every 1000ft . i'm not saying your wrong, but i'm just going off of what i watched and heard
well it goes down for a few thousand feet then temperatures start to increase ,then they start decreasing again, then increasing, then they decrease once more i believe then you are in space
backupcoolmen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae