daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 30th, 2008, 11:17 PM   #10501
Brubbaje
Brubbaje

Likes (Received): 0

Hey Folks,
I've been following this thread for a while...Thanks for the great updates and information here! Keep them coming!
Living in Amsterdam and working for an engineering/consultancy company i definitely hope to visit Dubai in the near future.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2008, 11:25 PM   #10502
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Mini crane boom on recovery crane now in place

Looks like its out of Thomas The Tank Engine.
[IMG]http://i37.************/2qmja7n.jpg[/IMG]
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #10503
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 332

Thanks OTR for those astounding updates. Again sorry to hear that you had to face security for the photos but it's great you could still keep the shots in the end. Talk about dedication - your wife should be proud
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 11:56 PM   #10504
Ember-To-Ashes

Likes (Received): 7

No change at the top then? I'm guessing they will send up another spire section under the cover of night, attatch it then lower it down, making it look like nothing has changed. (well that's what i'd do if i wanted to keep a lowe profile)
Ember-To-Ashes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 11:56 PM   #10505
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

BD Fountain Announcement and Pics from Today

Back in June, Emaar Properties announced its intention to build a fountain, 275m in length, within the man-made lake at the Downtown Burj Dubai development. The fountain was intended to add to the ambitious downtown area, billed by Emaar as the "new soul of the city," and valued at US $20 billion (AED73 million) in total.

Today, work on the fountain is progressing towards an anticipated opening in the second quarter of 2009, giving it a little time in hand in which to whet the appetite of Dubai's residents and visitors, before the opening of the Burj Dubai itself.

The clock is ticking

Construction is reportedly on course with 2500 staff currently employed on the fountain and related infrastructure projects. This will rise to 4000 as completion dates approach.

The tower alone supports 7500 staff. The size of the downtown development means that priorities change on a daily basis.

"It's a big collaboration of different projects, and trying to communicate effectively is an ongoing challenge," says fountain project manager Michael Scott.

"Everyone wants to meet their goals so you have to balance what is critical and what is not. What's critical today may not be critical tomorrow. There may be a change of direction on something."

A change in direction is something that the Downtown Burj Dubai development has seen on more than one occasion.

Pics from today

[IMG]http://i38.************/24v3314.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i35.************/25zmkgp.jpg[/IMG]
Old October 1st, 2008, 12:13 AM   #10506
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Holy smokes OTR - great work. Some of the best yet during the construction of the mighty BD.

I noticed right away the attachment points for the fins are welded to the pinnacle - in the plans they are bolted with 4 bolts. They still went with 2 bolts / attachment (for a total of 4) to connect the fins. The plans show the center of the 2 attachment points for each fin at 1.8 m. apart. If the part of the pinnacle showing is only ~ 1 m. the points are much closer together so perhaps some fins are shorter than others ? I just can't see that being the case - so ??

Going by the 1 m. dia estimate this must be the top of tier 29 / pinnacle 3 at 1.35 m. diameter and the part under the tarp must be the bottom of tier 30 / pinnacle 4 at 1.20 m. dia. I wonder why part of it is under the tarp ? Great shot of the transition to the smaller diameter. The small part sticking out of the tarp at the far end just looks like another weld point to me. Tier 30 is 21.3 m. so much longer than what is there. Another possibility is it is the top of tier 28 / pinnacle 2 at 1.5 m. dia. and the part under the tarp is the bottom of tier 29 / pinnacle 3 at 1.35 m. dia. The part of the pinnacle sticking out at the top of the structure right now has been estimated at 1.5 m. dia. so perhaps this will be welded right to it ?

The shot looking into the pinnacle shows how the ladders work inside the pinnacle. Forgive my bad attempts to illustrate...

[IMG]http://i34.************/33nev42.jpg[/IMG]

The plans show there is a steel grating 2 m. below the bottom of each tier inside the pinnacle. The pic shows it is in the right spot. Each tier ladder faces 120 degrees away from the last. So you climb the ladder - step onto the grating - and then climb the next facing a different direction. We can see the rails the lower ladder will attach to. We can also see the blue bottom of the "next" ladder.

Great to see some shots of the pinnacle like this. Not likely any of us will ever be climbing those ladders after they are on the top. As I have said before they wouldn't even have to pay me to change the burned out lightbulbs in this structure. It would be some long slow climbing with many rest stops at those gratings to get to the top of the spire - but the rush of going out onto that top platform would be more than worth it !

Thanx for the shots OTR - Fantastic !!

EDIT - I was expecting a bigger boom on that recovery crane - it doesn't look like it can reach the main crane for disassembly.

Last edited by Fury; October 1st, 2008 at 12:21 AM.
Fury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 12:23 AM   #10507
Ember-To-Ashes

I'm suprised by how thin the pinacle is. looks really hollow. i was expecting alot thicker material to try and make it sway less, with just enough room for 1 person to climb up on a ladder.

And interesting fountain construction shots. im guessing thats right next to the Burj Dubai ?
Old October 1st, 2008, 12:27 AM   #10508
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Great work Fury...I was learn a lot from your posts...Thanks man...
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 12:28 AM   #10509
Pablobegood

Likes (Received): 46

That's what I thought when I asked before, it's the fountain.
Pablobegood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 12:37 AM   #10510
glassNsteel

great work OTR! amazed security didn't make you delete those pics.....

i might have missed it but does anyone know what purpose the horizontal tubing serves that is currently being added at the first mech level? Doesn't seem these elements were part of the original renders.
glassNsteel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 01:17 AM   #10511
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
Great work Fury...I was learn a lot from your posts...Thanks man...
Happy to do it Dino - love the complexity and intricacies of this thing.

Hi Ember. I mentioned a few pages ago about how it looks like perhaps they lower down and add parts to the top of the pinnacle to get ready for jacking. I think we have to be close to what they are doing. I don't think they have already lowered the almost 100 meters of the 2.1 m. part of the pinnacle that will be hidden inside the structure extending down to section 20B. I'm thinking this will be added after jacking. There is only 90 meters from section 20B down to the concrete. The jacking plan also shows 2 jacking stages of ~ 60 m. each. It will be cool to see the actual proceedure - I hope they don't do the good stuff at night ...

I still think we should see the top platform on the top of what is sticking out the top of the structure before they start the first stage of the jacking.

Anyway here is a print showing the wall thicknesses of the pinnacle tiers 27 to 30. Thanks to AltinD for the print.

[IMG]http://i38.************/2mcvsz7.jpg[/IMG]

The over 90 meters of the pinnacle that will be hidden starts at 2.100 x 60 mm. then goes to 2.100 x 55 mm. then to 2.100 x 50 mm.

Then as we can see in the print ;
Tier 27 is 2.100 x 50 mm.
Tier 28 is 1.500 x 55 mm.
Tier 29 is 1.350 x 40 mm.
Tier 30 starts at 1.200 x 35 mm. then to 1.200 x 30 mm.

So yes it is quite large and the walls are quite thick also.

Old October 1st, 2008, 01:25 AM   #10512
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassNsteel View Post
great work OTR! amazed security didn't make you delete those pics.....

i might have missed it but does anyone know what purpose the horizontal tubing serves that is currently being added at the first mech level? Doesn't seem these elements were part of the original renders.
I thought initially that the chrome tubulars would only be at each setback corner of the mechaical foors, but looks now to continue fully around each mech floor.

I think no other purpose but cosmetic

[IMG]http://i33.************/219z8nd.jpg[/IMG]
Old October 1st, 2008, 01:28 AM   #10513
Ember-To-Ashes

Looking at the pics with the Emaar sign, if u look at the first one u can se the core wings being triangular.... whereas the rest of the building is round.... i've always thought it might look better if the entire building was rounded rather than how it is... anyone have any thoughts?
Old October 1st, 2008, 01:29 AM   #10514
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Hi Fury, I would say that the steel wall thickness on the spire section shown at the larger end diameter was 30mm.
Old October 1st, 2008, 01:36 AM   #10515
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10263

amazing stuff OTR.
i was wondering when you where going to be hassled by security. great photos of pinnacle.
its definatley a small part of 1.35m dia and 1.5m section.
i can tell by photo. def not the smallest 1.2m section.
that pinnacle section looks about 14m in length?
excellent explantion fury.
spot on with ladder and landing ect. these photos are what dreams are made of. probably wont see anything like it again.
OTRs pic shows section of tier29 or where larger section reduces to smaller dia will eventually sit 787m above grd.
thus this bit is half of the 1.5m section (4m) and whole of 1.35m section (10m) which is located between 782m-797m.
[img]http://i34.************/a25hep.jpg[/img]

Last edited by CULWULLA; October 1st, 2008 at 01:54 AM.
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 01:37 AM   #10516
Ashes_To_Ember
sporkish.

Brilliant pics
Old October 1st, 2008, 02:03 AM   #10517
CULWULLA

@fury
im pretty sure its this bit of pinnacle. sorry if im wrong . when we find out ill amend

image hosted on flickr
Old October 1st, 2008, 03:34 AM   #10518
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Hi Cul.

Yes that is the other possibility I mentioned in my post above.

So the wall thickness at the end we can see is 55 mm. - 2 inches.

Also as I posted earlier this could be welded on to what we are seeing sticking out the top right now. Then lower it into the void for the next section of pinnacle to be attached.

I didn't think it was that long but you are right Cul. I just noticed on a print showing Base 1 that 3 claddings are over 4 meters wide and the length of pinnacle is over 10 claddings long.

So the next section that long will include the transition to 1.200 dia. The next will be the top with the top platform - cool.

Old October 1st, 2008, 03:42 AM   #10519
LoverOfDubai

Some of the recent images got me thinking. I know that there are a lot of people here that like the cladding on the Burj Dubai. But does anyone think the glass is too shiny? I understand the reflectivity diminishes solar radiation from entering the building, but is just looks too shiny for my liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutger1991 View Post
Cool pictures, the first picture from ZZ-II shows a nice contrast between old and modern!!!!

Actually, both are new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident View Post
This image shows how massive the Burj Dubai really is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident View Post
Remember the old Emaar sign…………………………its back!

http://i36.************/qrz1op.jpg

http://i37.************/ab6sgk.jpg
I do not know why, but I like that sign!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brubbaje View Post
Hey Folks,
I've been following this thread for a while...Thanks for the great updates and information here! Keep them coming!
Living in Amsterdam and working for an engineering/consultancy company i definitely hope to visit Dubai in the near future.

Cheers
Welcome, Brubbaje!
LoverOfDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 03:44 AM   #10520
CULWULLA

fury-thanks. just imagine the whole pinnacle lying down. well over 100m. would look amazing. but i doubt this will happen. they will pick up the small sections bit by bit.
hopefully we get to see more pinnacle pics. security might step up.
cheers

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae