daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 16th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #10961
Infrasuper Planet
Infrasuper Planet

Likes (Received): 1

Flickr - 16th Oct 2008
Photographer: zFubz

[img]http://i35.************/2d26ey1.jpg[/img]

Flickr - 15th Oct 2008
Photographer: phillipscholz
[img]http://i34.************/sfcuvc.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i37.************/rsyk46.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i38.************/ndq4aq.jpg[/img]

Aerials are Beyond Ones Mind to Imagine.
We are watching the Future Rise from the depth of the Earth and into the Heavens ever Higher

Last edited by Infrasuper Planet; October 16th, 2008 at 03:53 PM.
Infrasuper Planet no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #10962
jamjaruk

Likes (Received): 5

The first picture is of this world!!
jamjaruk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #10963
Deepfield

Likes (Received): 0

Wow, the adress has nice night colors.
Old October 16th, 2008, 06:51 PM   #10964
Ember-To-Ashes

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamjaruk View Post
The first picture is of this world!!

Guessing you meant to say "not of this world"

if u didn't.. then your correct. this building IS of this world ^_^

lol
Ember-To-Ashes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #10965
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

he meant it is OF this world, as in the BURJ DUBAI exists in this world. LOL
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #10966
King of Construction
skyscraperized

Likes (Received): 254

The last picture is also great shows the immense height of the tower once again. The yellow building is like 5 metres away but evenso you still see Burj Dubai bigger because it's so high.

Visited countries: Austria-Belgium-Bosnia & Herzegovina-Bulgaria-Canada-Croatia-Czech Republic-England-France-Germany-Greece-Hong Kong-Italy-Liechtenstein- Luxembourg
Malaysia-Montenegro-Morocco-the Netherlands-Poland-Serbia-Singapore-Spain- Switzerland-Turkey-United Arab Emirates-United States of America-Wales
King of Construction no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #10967
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240876

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrasuper Planet View Post
[img]http://i38.************/ndq4aq.jpg[/img]
Nice pic btw
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #10968
Ember-To-Ashes

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
He might have meant that, but it's more likely he meant "not of"
Ember-To-Ashes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #10969
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
The exposed part of the spire/pinnacle is completely surrounded by scaffolding now. Maybe they are applying coats/painting or something related to the preparation for jacking.
Cool - Thanx Altin.

Perhaps they are applying the "thermal sprayed aluminum coating" and the 2.135 m. long fins. I am pretty sure they will do both before jacking as I can't see how they would do these after jacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDreamer
I'm guessing the aircraft beacon
The platform that goes on top of the 1.200 m. dia. tier 30 pinnacle is 1.500 m. dia. so it will be easy to see. A 1.100 m. high handrail goes around the platform with a rail that extends out another 490 mm. that supports the 3 aircraft beacons.

[IMG]http://i34.************/33xgar7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i34.************/s58ink.jpg[/IMG]

Also we are not sure if what is sticking out up there is the 1.2 m. dia. tier 30 or the 1.35 m. dia. tier 29. The next piece they put up there will tell us.
1 - If it is tier 29 the next piece will have a transition to 1.2 m. on the bottom of it and will be 21.3 m. high with the top platform on the top of it. They may do the 21.3 meters (tier 30) in 2 pieces.
2 - If it is tier 30 the next piece will be approx. 10 m. high with the top platform on the top of it.
Of course in either case they may do the top platform last as a seperate piece. I am pretty sure they will put the top platform on before jacking as I can't see how they would do it after.

Once the coating, fins, and top platform are done the first stage of jacking can commence.

Between each jacking stage they will:
1 - Add to the bottom of what is already jacked.
2 - Do the coating and add the fins to the next part of the pinnacle - Do the cladding to the wings of tiers 24 to 26 once those are sticking out.

All of this is IMO - it is going to be interesting to see it actually happening.

Old October 16th, 2008, 11:11 PM   #10970
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

you know i've been watching this project, ever since it was announced to the public. and been watching this site since then. and i just found something thats never been posted before.
srry that its old but it's in deed a interesting read. and it also has a new render! and plz dont get mad at me for posting this, i thought it would be a good idea, since no one never posted it before and where also waiting for it to rise again. so i dont think it will hurt enjoy!!
In New York in March 2003, Amirault and Booth met SOM partners Adrian Smith, Bill Baker, and Efstathiou for an initial interview. Soon after that, Emaar invited SOM—with its long history of skyscraper design, from Lever House to the Sears Tower to the Freedom Tower at the World Trade Center site—to enter a competition for a new 1,800-foot residential building in Dubai. Also invited were Kohn Pedersen Fox, Cesar Pelli and Associates, Carlos Ott, and Denton Corker Marshall. They gave the firms two weeks to make a proposal.

“SOM was the unanimous winner, and everyone's favorite design,” Amirault wrote to me. “It had the heroic, romantic massing qualities of the great New York skyscrapers, but had a modern skin and was technically state of the art. They also picked up subtle references to Islamic architecture in the arched plan shapes, which appealed to our Emirati staff [who] worried that the building would look like it could belong anywhere.”

The first week of the competition, SOM came up with the original design; the second week, they made the drawings. Smith, the lead designer (he has since left SOM to open his own practice, Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill), says he knew what he wanted to do from the start. At that initial meeting, he says, “We showed them projects we'd done: the Jin Mao tower in Shanghai, Sears, Hancock, 7 South Dearborn, and some other schemes that didn't get built. And one of the comments they made was that they really liked the Tower Palace 3's Y-shaped plan—they thought it looked great for residential.” (They were referring to the Seoul tower Smith designed for Samsung, a project that briefly held the title of the world's tallest residential building.)

Smith agreed with them. “I knew what I wanted to do right off the bat: step back and spiral it up,” he says. The final design, as it turned out, would resemble the original idea fairly closely: a tapered tower, with asymmetric steps to protect against wind forces, with three legs at the base.

this si for people who wonder why the desing is the way it is
The tapering effect is an attractive look, but it's also a structural tactic. “The biggest force on the building is wind,” explains Efstathiou, who is managing partner at SOM and is overseeing the project from start to finish.

“When you start changing the profile of the tower as it goes up, you start confusing the wind forces; they never get organized. So our design keeps changing profile, and the wind never achieves a harmonic movement.”

In addition to the tapering, the SOM team designed a buttressed core—a six-sided core within the three-footed Y shape. “Take buildings, for instance, that are long and rectangular—slab buildings,” says Bill Baker, the chief structural engineer on the project. “Those buildings are strong in the long direction, but challenged in the short. So we took three and put them together, essentially, so two wings are catching the wind and the third is holding the other two guys up.”

The challenge facing Smith was to design a 2,000-plusfoot tower that, because of its desert site, lacks much in the way of an urban context or cultural references. He started with the onion dome shape, widely used in traditional Islamic architecture. “But I didn't want it to be overt,” he explains. “So I tried to use it in plan, but not in section. The onion dome is always done in section, seeing it against the profile of the sky. I didn't use it in that way, except when you're close to the building and you look straight up. I was hoping people would see it that way and say, ‘Ah!'”

For his part, Baker had been spending some of his time thinking about issues of scale, looking at everything from Galileo's comparisons of human bones and dinosaur bones to the botanist D'arcy Wentworth Thompson's studies on why organisms are structured and shaped the way they are. Later, after finishing the structural design, he was asked to lecture on Frank Lloyd Wright's Mile-High Tower, which led him to do a comparison to satisfy his own interest. (“His building would have twisted, I think,” Baker said, adding that Wright's tower did have similar scaling to the Burj.)

Emaar took two weeks with the proposal, then announced that they liked the design and wanted to begin a conversation about fees. Efstathiou flew to Dubai to negotiate a price(which he declines to reveal). The deal was done at Vu's, a bar that sits on the 51st floor of one of the Emirates Towers, a pair of buildings finished in 1999—still the 13th and the 27th tallest in the world—and which, at least while the Burj remains unfinished, are sometimes referred to as the most prestigious addresses in the Middle East.
Efstathiou was ecstatic and called Chicago to break the news. “Most of our buildings are well-known, very visible, but this one is the most visible ever,” Efstathiou said. “This only happens once.”

According to Efstathiou, redesign began almost immediately after making the deal. On his next trip, he says, he heard the same words he would hear repeatedly over the next four years. Can we go a little bigger?

There is some disagreement over who, or what, drove the height increases—Smith says Emaar wanted to reserve the ability to make the Burj taller if another, bigger building were announced, but the developers were satisfied initially with 1,800 feet, or 550 meters; it was he who wanted to make it bigger. “It wasn't finishing properly at 550,” he told me. “I needed more height to complete the stepping and the reduction of the tower's mass as it went up.”
Efstathiou says the impetus came from Emaar. “We start doing the working drawings. And they say stop again: ‘We want to go a little higher.' The other thing that was happening,” he continues, “I can't even talk about the number, but we're getting close to Mohamed Alabbar's lucky number, and so why not go to that number? We're above 700 meters at this point, I can tell you. And then you look up a little higher, and you say, ‘Look, a half-mile's not that far away! What about a kilometer? We could go to a kilometer!'”

(They're both right, says Amirault: Smith and Alabbar both wanted to make the top third of the building more slender, “and our chairman wanted to get to a higher figure than the earlier 705-meter design.”)

What is certain is that the building just kept getting taller. “So we finally,” Efstathiou concludes, “came to a number, and we're almost done, and then they say again, ‘Can you crank that spire up?'” Emaar asked about height increases as recently as December 2006, he says, with construction already over 100 floors.
new render

http://www.architectmagazine.com/industry-news.asp?
Old October 16th, 2008, 11:18 PM   #10971
da_funkmaster
User Registered

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
they are just decoration.
Ah, great, the next step could probably be to attach some planes or trains... or a hole oilrig there. Would look good too in my opinion.
da_funkmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 11:22 PM   #10972
jamjaruk

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
Sorry guys I meant 'out of this world'. missed the 'out'
jamjaruk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #10973
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

I really can't sometimes understeand you moderators guys Nakheel tower is actually u/c (or however you call the fact that they are working on slurry wall) and you have locked the thread of WTB What about new site pics, informations, and other staff?

Oh Sorry, I forgot

Quote:
As usual this thread has turned into a load of caca.
...You know that you also should lock Burj Dubai's, and half of the rest threads ?

Ps. And dont get it to yourself, i just have to say something when something really iritates me
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #10974
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

You think the moderators have nothing else to do but close threads?

They're closed for a reason.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #10975
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

There is a lot crap in alot of threads.

To this time i thought that there is one situation when thread is beeing closed, and that shulde be two requirements to do that:

a) That is not sure if the project will come up
b) A lot of crap in.

First requirement isnt exist any more. Even more, there is a lot of activity on site!
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 12:38 AM   #10976
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

[IMG]http://i34.************/rw6n4i.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i34.************/ajrmgn.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i37.************/2luvyc1.jpg[/IMG]
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #10977
SirAdrian
♥ Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 49

Very cool AltinD
SirAdrian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 02:45 AM   #10978
Toetallix
The Manchester Invasion

Likes (Received): 2131

Yep, dats pretty gd! Maybe tilt head and get the whole Burj Dubai in lol.
Toetallix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 02:47 AM   #10979
iMike

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
The first 6 steel floors are habitable if I’m not mistaken. So I guess they are accessible by elevator.

Inhabitable would be more of a correct term.
Habitable is a correct term also but more often used when refering to land or area. For example, a question of whether or not mars is habitable... When refering to floors being used as livable spaces. The use of the word inhabitable would be more appropriate.

inhabitable - fit for habitation.
Uninhabitable is the opposite.

I don't mean to be an ass by commenting on this but several hundred posts were devoted to this argument here on this thread and it made us all nuts. lol.

Question:
I was in Dubai in August and I have over 100GB of video and pics of Burj Dubai and Dubai in general but have been unable to post on youtube because of the fact that I haven't had much time and when I tried it, the quality is horrible. I know youtube recently started to allow uploads of 1GB for each clip but even feeding the upload the full uncompressed file still doesn't enhance the quality. Youtube still compresses the video during upload.

Any suggestions on what software to use to convert my videos so that youtube doesn't mess with them?

P.S. youtube account name: Ronin22nj incase i upload something, you can keep an eye out.
iMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 03:54 AM   #10980
Meditation

Likes (Received): 1

Big changes: lots of new rules, google adverts appeared in thread then disappeared and the Al Burj thread is locked.
Meditation no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae