daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 12th, 2008, 07:34 AM   #11781
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Likes (Received): 2439

Well a few months down the road when they decide to air the BD documentry on t.v we will all know the reason behind these delays !

Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #11782
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Another great round of pics Dennis - thanks.

Hmmmm - no action at the top for a while now.

What are they doing working on the rest of the structure when they know dam well we are all watching the top.

Well it can't be long before another section is erected, or the top platform is welded on and we get down to some jacking.

Old November 12th, 2008, 08:03 AM   #11783
ThatDarnSacramentan
The Punk With the Camera

Likes (Received): 40

Those are some awesome pics right there. I'd say in a few years, the Burj Dubai will be to some new project what the Chrysler Building became to the Empire State Building. The only crazy thing left to do in Dubai would be to build a massive roller coaster between all of the supertalls and Sheikh Zayed.
Old November 12th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #11784
giovani kun
====(^.^)====

Likes (Received): 559

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
the construction hasnt changed a 2 weeks. thus no posts.
we need something to happen and we should get a flood of posts!
my assumption is that it's a redesign issue
giovani kun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #11785
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

could the delay be because of the economic slow down??
the new york times had an article talking about a major slowdown in the city as the global recession halts most of the tourism. so i think the bubble has now popped in dubai. we all knew it would happen...just not so soon.
dachacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 09:13 AM   #11786
SebaFun
Sebastian

Likes (Received): 16341

Beautiful pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Love USA
SebaFun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 09:25 AM   #11787
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachacon View Post
could the delay be because of the economic slow down??
the new york times had an article talking about a major slowdown in the city as the global recession halts most of the tourism. so i think the bubble has now popped in dubai. we all knew it would happen...just not so soon.
actually your right , its making headlines here and on BBC camel. Emaar and Nakheel have laid off around 19,000 employees each , 70% of projects handled by nakheel and emaar have been put on hold for 1 - 2 years (depending on how large the scale of the projects are) .... The GOV of Dubai has sent an official letter to the president asking for total bankrupcy protection ... its a mess and im pretty damn sure 99% of projects announced at this years City Scape 2008 have either been cancelled or put on hold
Old November 12th, 2008, 09:32 AM   #11788
Capn Jef

Likes (Received): 9

That's...horrible. Source, please?
Capn Jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #11789
iMike

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai_Boy View Post
...BBC camel....

LOL
iMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #11790
tommyzion

Likes (Received): 25

BURJDUBAI

Hi, all.
I thinks..
tommyzion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #11791
velbujd
SSC Bulgaria

Likes (Received): 23549

2008-2012 ? or 2008-december ?
velbujd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #11792
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10144

dubai boy-thats not good.
maybe that reason why burjdubai has slowed. hopefully pic up soon.
dennis-thanks for pix. as always.
OTR-your right. its weird how its just stopped? i mean normally we would see some activity. maybe having meetings about future construction activity within the site.?
Old November 12th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #11793
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

So you also follow the BBC Camel or the local one is called BBC Wallaby down under?
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #11794
DennisS
Just a student

Likes (Received): 70

stop scaring all these innocent forumers please
My guess is that they are double-checking everything making sure absolutely nothing can go wrong when jacking starts. If something goes wrong they're in deep trouble. No economic slowdown or whatever.. A slant spire just isn't as beautiful as a straight one, of course.
DennisS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #11795
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

CULWULLA, I was just messing around with the guy above my post >.< didnt think people would fall for it , i apologize
Old November 12th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #11796
Ember-To-Ashes

Likes (Received): 7

They did add one floor about a week ago, i'm guessing they are internally preparing to jack the spire up, making sure it will go right first time. we just need 2 floors on one side and 2 floors on the other nowto mark the completion of the major floor. then we have 3x 9m floors which im guessing will be put in once the spire has jacked up to its final height
Ember-To-Ashes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #11797
Slurms Mackenzie

Likes (Received): 1

I know that we're all focussed on height and the external appearance of the building. But perhaps the internal fit-out is now on the critical path so they are devoting their efforts to that instead of the work at the top. On a building site it isn't always 100% full-steam-ahead on every part of the project....the focus usually shifts to whatever is likely to delay overall completion. I can imgaine they are working like crazy on the internals for the lower levels to get them ready to hand over (and get some cash flow).

I can't see that the credit cruch would be affecting the tower top-out unless Emaar have gone totally bankrupt (obviously I'm not suggesting they have). If the tower is going to be finished, which it is, then clearly they will get on and do things in the order that they see fit. I doubt we are going to end up with something like that building in North Korea!

As we often joke about here, the construction is not there for our amusement even though we do derive enjoyment from observing it. The construction managers will focus on whatever is most urgent for cash flow and the spire is perhaps no longer critical to overall completion dates.

Or perhaps they might even be waiting for a special occasion to raise it to the 819m height? Stop panicking everyone!
Slurms Mackenzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #11798
Desert Diver
Just add water

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurms Mackenzie View Post
... I doubt we are going to end up with something like that building in North Korea!
Which building are you talking about? Just interested....

Next week I will devote my evenings to hunting some good shots of the Burj. Already looking forward to that.
Desert Diver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #11799
iMike

Likes (Received): 0

He's refering to the The Ryugyong Hotel in Pyoungyang, North Korea that was topped out 16 years ago and left unfinished to this day at 330 meters (1083 ft).

I don't know why you guys are talking about this. This will never happen to Burj Dubai. Like some forumers said, maybe they just had some engineering setback and working out at the moment before jacking up the spire to be on the safe side.

Image from flickr. Author: Pricey
image hosted on flickr
iMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #11800
Desert Diver
Just add water

Likes (Received): 215

@iMike
Thanks! I did not want to feed any rumors. Neither do I believe that the recent construction slowdown is linked to the financial crisis. Actually I don't think there is a slowdown at all - it just seems like it.

In order to switch to positive rumors: I saw the incredible light show about two weeks ago when I was passing by on SZR. Some of you raised the concern these lights would be blinding the neighboring buildings... actually I don't see that much of a problem here. The lights "wave" up and down simultaneously so it is rather an effect like blinking beacons - strong blinking beacons, ok... But from any position in the area only one flood light can be seen directly (and therefore only one lamp blinds your sight).

I deeply hope for this light show to become the standard everyday procedure It would be a condign attribute of this amazing building

Desert Diver no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae