daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 18th, 2008, 03:41 AM   #11981
iMike

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice View Post
This building will lose its title if NYC approves its projects.

Tallest Buildings in the world title now goes to

One Centraltower Interstate Center 3,844ft
Two Centraltower Interstate Center 3,004ft
Banktower 3,213ft
It's either you're an idiot or you've been living under a rock for the past 7 years. I take that back, I don't mean to insult your inteligence
but from your user name, you're a cop...you should know better.

We don't even have enough money nor the support to rebuild the World Trade Center(Freedom Tower)
which has been under consturction for the past 5 years and ground work is not even done yet!
iMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2008, 04:43 AM   #11982
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Likes (Received): 7547

Incredible! No words to explain. UAE is really very very architectural hi-tech place. Keep working like this!
Old November 18th, 2008, 06:07 AM   #11983
emagdnim
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

holy sh*t that a huge aquarium
emagdnim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:20 AM   #11984
Capn Jef

Likes (Received): 9

I'm fairly sure that CityPolice intended to create an argument or a swell of dissenting posts (trolling) and it worked.

Just ignore it. And I doubt his user name means he's a cop :P
Capn Jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #11985
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

The pic is from DennisS - another great shot I might add.

This will help to illustrate my point in my previous post.

As we can see there is still 2 sections of one wing of tier 22 to be erected. So the structure is "half width" for those 2 sections.

There is 1 section of tier 23 to be erected. There is only 1 wing this size on tier 23 so it is full width except for the small wings that will be jacked with the pinnacle pipe. Here is a print showing the shape of tier 23.

37_Tier_24_Start.bmp (3.9 MB)

As for the jacking - the plan is (was) for it to take 6 weeks. IMO they will jack some then stop and add fins. When they have tier 26 up even with the steel sections that are erected now (still within reach of the crane) they will attach the small wing and fins on the exposed pinnacle pipe. Then jack untill tier 25 is even with the steel sections and attach the 2 small wings and fins. Repeat for tier 24 and add the 3 small wings. Last finish the connections in tiers 22 and 23 to the jacked parts.

Old November 18th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #11986
Gattberserk
Smith

Likes (Received): 17

So will the full height be reached before the end of this year?

Kingdom Tower of Jeddah
Gattberserk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #11987
rickydavisfan21
McSAME and FAILIN

Likes (Received): 539

I'll curb my negative attitude of this project and dubai in general for a minute to ask a question. Does anyone know if there are plans for a radio/tv transmitter to be part of 300m decorational spire? From 800m up you could serve a thousand mile area. I'm just trying to justify the tower in my head.
rickydavisfan21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:31 AM   #11988
DennisS
Just a student

Likes (Received): 70

Thanks Fury.

So probably:
1. Erect tier 23B first because they can't reach it otherwise.
2. Jack the spire up, weld the missing fins
3. Jack the spire further up, weld (they have to weld it in some way I think?) tier 26 to the spire
3. Repeat for tier 25
4. Repeat for tier 24
5. Jack the spire again (maybe to full height, why not?)
6. Erect missing parts of tier 22 (at the end because otherwise the crane cannot turn around anymore)
7. Connect all parts together

If this is all and our 'possible construction method' is the same as theirs, and they prepare and controll it totally, my guess is that the jacking could be done in 6 weeks from start to finish.

But this week it will probably not start yet, so no topping out this year.
DennisS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:41 AM   #11989
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickydavisfan21 View Post
I'll curb my negative attitude of this project and dubai in general for a minute to ask a question. Does anyone know if there are plans for a radio/tv transmitter to be part of 300m decorational spire? From 800m up you could serve a thousand mile area. I'm just trying to justify the tower in my head.
Someones FILLED with sour sour jelousy..... calm down or you will end up with gas
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #11990
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

But hold on Dubai Boy, what if he does not get the justification in his head.

What are the consequences
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #11991
Desert Diver
Just add water

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickydavisfan21 View Post
Beautiful Pictures of a otherwise desolate place. Dubai has to be the ugliest place on the planet. I always thought the worlds vanity city would happen in asia, which is a FAR greener place. Dubai seems like a cool place, but it has the least natural beauty of any of the the worlds premier cities.
It seems as if some don't understand to what scale construction is going on in Dubai. It is not only a single building being erected - a complete city is being built! How do you expect construction sites to provide "natural beauty"

All the dust and sand, all the cranes, trucks and caterpillars will disappear once construction is finished. As I said, Marina is heading that way and so will Downtown quite soonish

"Five years from now you will see towers on your right, towers on your left. And in the middle of that one kilometer and a half of garden, where you can excercise. And if you're bored of that you go underneath for a kilo and a half of shopping mall - but it is not the largest in the world - because that's next door"

Quoted from http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4312234n

Desert Diver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #11992
iMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai_Boy View Post
Someones FILLED with sour sour jelousy..... calm down or you will end up with gas
He asked a legitimate question.

If you don't have an answer, simply do not reply instead of bashing. I don't think he intended on being sarcastic nor he showed any signs of jealousy like you claimed!
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:12 AM   #11993
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

We have never heard anything to suggest that comunication equipments will be located on top of the tower (that doen't mean it might not be any).
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #11994
iMike

Very nice article. I don't think it has been posted.
http://www.dubaishortstay.com/city-guide/burj-dubai.asp

Burj Dubai - The Amazing Landmark!

Burj Dubai, the world's tallest man-made structure is scheduled to be completed in 2009. The tower's dramatic rise above the Gulf horizon will yet again remind the world of Dubai's growing financial muscle and allow the buyers and holidaymakers to stay and carry on with their exciting lives in amazing fashions. The gigantic tower is located at the core of an integrated township called, Downtown Burj Dubai, which features several more developments apart from
the main tower. All these developments will produce over 30,000 homes, including villas, luxury
Residential suits and serviced apartments; nine hotels such as Burj Dubai Lake Hotel & Serviced Apartments; the world's largest mall The Dubai Mall and an eco-friendly landscape carrying the man-made Burj Dubai Lake.

The spiraling Burj Dubai, on its part, will offer Exclusive corporate offices, residential apartments, Four lavish swimming pools, one cigar club, one observation deck, lounge, gym, library and several other amenities, such as restaurants, to enhance its
Aura. An Armani Hotel, the first of its kind, will occupy the first 37 floors and 700 private apartments will be allotted from floor number 45 to 108. The spire, measuring 200m in this 818m high building, will house communication equipments of various kinds.

More About The Soaring Tower

Burj Dubai is about to set out new standards of living in today's world. It would be exciting not just to look at its soaring architecture, but also to watch at the world outside sitting inside your Burj Dubai home. It’s carefully crafted living area and the amenities
you might get to use will influence your lifestyle as well, as you begin to settle in. There is a range of serviced apartments and exclusive hotel rooms to choose your Dubai stay from and make your memories last for a lifetime. Besides, there is a lot more in the Downtown Burj Dubai, apart from living in the main tower, which should make your stay in Dubai multi-dimensional. Let us examine what else the whole of Downtown area has to offer to its customers.

The Greater Downtown Burj Dubai

The Downtown Burj Dubai provides the world with the best of Dubai's residential, commercial, and recreational and hospitality provisions by fusing in various sub-plans shaped into an integrated township. These developments include luxurious hotels, serviced apartments, cafes, boutiques, restaurants, fascinating lifestyle of The Old Town and the shopping bonanza of
The world’s largest mall, The Dubai Mall. There are plenty of things for each and everyone to add to their life’s experiences while living at the Downtown Burj Dubai.

Developments Across Burj Dubai Boulevard

These include a 35 story residential tower, named 8 Boulevard Walk; three high-rise residential buildings ranging between 27 and 30 floors, called The Lofts; and a 63-story residential building with serviced apartments for outright sale, called Burj Dubai Lake Hotel & Serviced Apartments. These combined together are bound to generate enough accommodation for those who might be willing to settle down in the Downtown Burj Dubai.

Burj Dubai Square

Comprises of six towers; aims at providing quality space to top business firms. There is plenty of basement car parking and leisure amenities like cafes, apart from the soothing landscape carrying water elements and greenery to make one's business sound like a breeze.

Boulevard Crescents

Contains villas and nine high-rise buildings, which comprise of 1, 2 and 3 bedroom luxury residential suits and penthouses; all lay across a soothing water filled and green landscape. Safety for individual units, 24 hours maintenance for various facilities, IT
Outlets carrying a combined network of telephone, television and high speed Internet services, and plenty of car parking is some of the key elements of this downtown development.

The Old Town

This is the place for low-rise apartments and villas with an ethnic Arabian architecture and modern basic facilities fused into one. It takes you on a voyage from Dubai's past to future and vice-versa. The town will have coffee houses, boutiques and stalls to make
the community life enthralling and full of Arabian flavor.

The Dubai Mall

The world's largest mall is coming up at the Downtown Burj Dubai. It begins to cater clients from August 2008 onwards. It will encompass a total area of 12.1 million ft², with over a dozen smaller in-built malls to take care of various retail sectors.

Source: http://www.dubaishortstay.com/city-guide/burj-dubai.asp
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #11995
iMike

New video from CBS' Early Show(November 14th 2008) that has bits in the beginning and middle about BD.

Old November 18th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #11996
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMike View Post
He asked a legitimate question.

If you don't have an answer, simply do not reply instead of bashing. I don't think he intended on being sarcastic nor he showed any signs of jealousy like you claimed!
Nah i can sniff them out from a mile away .... but thanks for your concern and major interest.
Old November 18th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #11997
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3095

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMike View Post
Very nice article. I don't think it has been posted.
http://www.dubaishortstay.com/city-guide/burj-dubai.asp

Burj Dubai - The Amazing Landmark!

Burj Dubai, the world's tallest man-made structure is scheduled to be completed in 2009. The tower's dramatic rise above the Gulf horizon will yet again remind the world of Dubai's growing financial muscle and allow the buyers and holidaymakers to stay and carry on with their exciting lives in amazing fashions. The gigantic tower is located at the core of an integrated township called, Downtown Burj Dubai, which features several more developments apart from
the main tower. All these developments will produce over 30,000 homes, including villas, luxury
Residential suits and serviced apartments; nine hotels such as Burj Dubai Lake Hotel & Serviced Apartments; the world's largest mall The Dubai Mall and an eco-friendly landscape carrying the man-made Burj Dubai Lake.

The spiraling Burj Dubai, on its part, will offer Exclusive corporate offices, residential apartments, Four lavish swimming pools, one cigar club, one observation deck, lounge, gym, library and several other amenities, such as restaurants, to enhance its
Aura. An Armani Hotel, the first of its kind, will occupy the first 37 floors and 700 private apartments will be allotted from floor number 45 to 108. The spire, measuring 200m in this 818m high building, will house communication equipments of various kinds.

More About The Soaring Tower

Burj Dubai is about to set out new standards of living in today's world. It would be exciting not just to look at its soaring architecture, but also to watch at the world outside sitting inside your Burj Dubai home. It’s carefully crafted living area and the amenities
you might get to use will influence your lifestyle as well, as you begin to settle in. There is a range of serviced apartments and exclusive hotel rooms to choose your Dubai stay from and make your memories last for a lifetime. Besides, there is a lot more in the Downtown Burj Dubai, apart from living in the main tower, which should make your stay in Dubai multi-dimensional. Let us examine what else the whole of Downtown area has to offer to its customers.

The Greater Downtown Burj Dubai

The Downtown Burj Dubai provides the world with the best of Dubai's residential, commercial, and recreational and hospitality provisions by fusing in various sub-plans shaped into an integrated township. These developments include luxurious hotels, serviced apartments, cafes, boutiques, restaurants, fascinating lifestyle of The Old Town and the shopping bonanza of
The world’s largest mall, The Dubai Mall. There are plenty of things for each and everyone to add to their life’s experiences while living at the Downtown Burj Dubai.

Developments Across Burj Dubai Boulevard

These include a 35 story residential tower, named 8 Boulevard Walk; three high-rise residential buildings ranging between 27 and 30 floors, called The Lofts; and a 63-story residential building with serviced apartments for outright sale, called Burj Dubai Lake Hotel & Serviced Apartments. These combined together are bound to generate enough accommodation for those who might be willing to settle down in the Downtown Burj Dubai.

Burj Dubai Square

Comprises of six towers; aims at providing quality space to top business firms. There is plenty of basement car parking and leisure amenities like cafes, apart from the soothing landscape carrying water elements and greenery to make one's business sound like a breeze.

Boulevard Crescents

Contains villas and nine high-rise buildings, which comprise of 1, 2 and 3 bedroom luxury residential suits and penthouses; all lay across a soothing water filled and green landscape. Safety for individual units, 24 hours maintenance for various facilities, IT
Outlets carrying a combined network of telephone, television and high speed Internet services, and plenty of car parking is some of the key elements of this downtown development.

The Old Town

This is the place for low-rise apartments and villas with an ethnic Arabian architecture and modern basic facilities fused into one. It takes you on a voyage from Dubai's past to future and vice-versa. The town will have coffee houses, boutiques and stalls to make
the community life enthralling and full of Arabian flavor.

The Dubai Mall

The world's largest mall is coming up at the Downtown Burj Dubai. It begins to cater clients from August 2008 onwards. It will encompass a total area of 12.1 million ft², with over a dozen smaller in-built malls to take care of various retail sectors.

Source: http://www.dubaishortstay.com/city-guide/burj-dubai.asp
This is all fantastic......I mean that, but what's the news I hear about sewer problems ? and polluted beaches, with the wealth of Dubai surely the latest treatment facilities would be installed ahead of these great developments ? I hope someone can tell me I have been misinformed ? Hope to visit Dubai one day !
Old November 18th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #11998
iMike

I haven't heard of such problems but maybe there is a thread for this discussion somewhere on this forum.

Let's devote our discussion here for Burj Dubai. If anyone knows a link to such a thread, please feel free to post it.
Old November 18th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #11999
nidoken

Likes (Received): 3

Can I climb to the top of building when it's finished? It's very high!
Old November 18th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #12000
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Teorically yes, practically no

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
This is all fantastic......I mean that, but what's the news I hear about sewer problems ? and polluted beaches, with the wealth of Dubai surely the latest treatment facilities would be installed ahead of these great developments ? I hope someone can tell me I have been misinformed ? Hope to visit Dubai one day !
Irresponsible drivers of sewer collecting tankers, ilegally drooped their load in city's drainage system and it ended up in the sea polluting a certain area.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae