daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 18th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #12001
TallBox

Likes (Received): 421

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Teorically yes, practically no
How comes? Do you mean that it will be closed to the public (obviously), or that physically it's not possible as the ladder and stuff will not be in place?
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #12002
SpaceScraper
SpaceScraper

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
This is all fantastic......I mean that, but what's the news I hear about sewer problems ? and polluted beaches, with the wealth of Dubai surely the latest treatment facilities would be installed ahead of these great developments ? I hope someone can tell me I have been misinformed ? Hope to visit Dubai one day !

Look at the source of the article. It's a PR/advertising piece - a printed infomercial of sorts.
SpaceScraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #12003
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
It's like dominos. The more you build the more you fall when the economy goes bad: http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...AZINESLIDESHOW
HAHAHAHHA i dont think you even read/understood your own article.
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #12004
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBox View Post
How comes? Do you mean that it will be closed to the public (obviously), or that physically it's not possible as the ladder and stuff will not be in place?
It probably means that nidoken cannot practically climb to the top because the public wont be allowed but logically possible, because there is ladder to help staff to go to the top.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #12005
rickydavisfan21
McSAME and FAILIN

Likes (Received): 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai_Boy View Post
Nah i can sniff them out from a mile away .... but thanks for your concern and major interest.
Apparently not, its very much so a legitimate inquiry. To not have communications equipment on the top of a 800m+ tower would be a missed opportunity.

But since u've gone and pissed me off...
Dubai is a city doomed to failure and an insult to the world economic crisis.

And the question of jealously...
At one point I was jealous, back when I was an illogical skyscraper fan as soon as last year. Then I started noticing the terrible urban design.
This quote says it best:
Quote:
"Five years from now you will see towers on your right, towers on your left. And in the middle of that one kilometer and a half of garden, where you can excercise. And if you're bored of that you go underneath for a kilo and a half of shopping mall - but it is not the largest in the world - because that's next door"
That last part puts it in perspective. Enclosed malls are what ruined the american city. And yet here is this "city" you are building based around the automobile, le corbusien ideals, curvilinear streets, post modernism (a 50s ideal that lead to the dying suburb) and sprawl. You are building islands when there is obviously plenty of places to build on the mainland not to mention. even as calm as the persian gulf is, those islands will be reclaimed soon. Buildings a successful city does not happen in 10 years, especially not as a suburb on steroids. This is not just from a onlookers perspective, I have been to dubai, and its devoid of foot activity, a practical ghost town as 50% of what has been built and is in the process of being built sits vacant. I'd like to see the numbers on vacancy in dubai.

This doesn't look like a city to me, it looks like a suburb.

This is where I live, the ultimate city, I do not see any 10 million sq feet malls here, because our retail is where it belongs, on the street.

here is what dubai resembles.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...27895&t=h&z=16

Don't get me wrong though, travel around Dubai Creek and you can find a city.

Last edited by rickydavisfan21; November 18th, 2008 at 05:48 PM.
rickydavisfan21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #12006
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:06 PM   #12007
Desert Diver
Just add water

Likes (Received): 215

New pics I took this afternoon and evening:

Huge version: http://www.quetschluft.de/dubai/burj_constr_q.jpg

Huge version: http://www.quetschluft.de/dubai/bridge_2_q.jpg

Huge version: http://www.quetschluft.de/dubai/DSC_9004_q.jpg

Huge version: http://www.quetschluft.de/dubai/DSC_9026_q.jpg

Huge version: http://www.quetschluft.de/dubai/DSC_9037_q.jpg

Huge version: http://www.quetschluft.de/dubai/DSC_9041_q.jpg

Huge version: http://www.quetschluft.de/dubai/DSC_9058_q.jpg

Huge version: http://www.quetschluft.de/dubai/DSC_9071_q.jpg

Huge version: http://www.quetschluft.de/dubai/DSC_9075_q.jpg

Cheers

Last edited by Desert Diver; November 18th, 2008 at 09:47 PM. Reason: fixed links
Desert Diver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #12008
Desert Diver
Just add water

Likes (Received): 215

Please note the bright blue sky
Desert Diver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #12009
DennisS
Just a student

Likes (Received): 70

Good pictures Desert Diver!

No new floor yet, maybe tomorrow some new developments. Pics will come
DennisS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #12010
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240912

Great pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Diver View Post
Please note the bright blue sky
I noticed it
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #12011
AvanGard
HMS

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:

On this photo we can see most of the pinnacle, all the way down to the cladding. Maybe it is already build and only waits to be jacked?
AvanGard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #12012
-Cranium-
Atomic weight:2 -> 4 -> 3

Likes (Received): 0

By golly AvanGard I believe you're right! I tried but failed to convince myself otherwise. Fantastic image Desert Diver! But what on earth are the two objects that are visible at either side of the base of tier 19?!?!
-Cranium- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #12013
Joy Machine
George

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickydavisfan21 View Post
Apparently not, its very much so a legitimate inquiry. To not have communications equipment on the top of a 800m+ tower would be a missed opportunity.

But since u've gone and pissed me off...
Dubai is a city doomed to failure and an insult to the world economic crisis.

And the question of jealously...
At one point I was jealous, back when I was an illogical skyscraper fan as soon as last year. Then I started noticing the terrible urban design.
This quote says it best:
That last part puts it in perspective. Enclosed malls are what ruined the american city. And yet here is this "city" you are building based around the automobile, le corbusien ideals, curvilinear streets, post modernism (a 50s ideal that lead to the dying suburb) and sprawl. You are building islands when there is obviously plenty of places to build on the mainland not to mention. even as calm as the persian gulf is, those islands will be reclaimed soon. Buildings a successful city does not happen in 10 years, especially not as a suburb on steroids. This is not just from a onlookers perspective, I have been to dubai, and its devoid of foot activity, a practical ghost town as 50% of what has been built and is in the process of being built sits vacant. I'd like to see the numbers on vacancy in dubai.

This doesn't look like a city to me, it looks like a suburb.

This is where I live, the ultimate city, I do not see any 10 million sq feet malls here, because our retail is where it belongs, on the street.

here is what dubai resembles.

Don't get me wrong though, travel around Dubai Creek and you can find a city.

There is one thing you have wrong though because I looked into why Dubai has so many stupid malls. Because the temperature there is always around 100 degrees. Although organic in planning, the city is also rather Corbusian which hasn't been proven on its effectiveness on traffic and sustainability. Look at his contemporary city drawings where he has traffic and everything analyzed to minimize all inconvenience.
Joy Machine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #12014
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10143

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvanGard View Post
On this photo we can see most of the pinnacle, all the way down to the cladding. Maybe it is already build and only waits to be jacked?
im pretty sure the spire only goes down to the last crane support.current length about 60m.
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:16 PM   #12015
Giedrius_LT
BaltoScandia

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
That's not a building, that's a monument for humanity.

I wonder how is it economically with an investion like this within the crisis period (or is it totally sold out already).
Giedrius_LT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:28 PM   #12016
CULWULLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvanGard View Post
im pretty sure the pinnacle only goes down to just below the highest crane tower support.it cant go below this level (tier20B) as there are no holes in floors for the pinnacle to rise through.

rickydavisfan-no the burj dubai map you posted isnt a city. its a just a precinct. its called Burj dubai. its an exclusive 12hectare slice of land in the city of Dubai.
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #12017
-Cranium-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
im pretty sure the spire only goes down to the last crane support.current length about 60m.
So are we perhaps seeing a 'sheath' or 'spire guide' in the pic? A 'pinnacle prophylactic', if you will? There certainly seems to be something there!
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #12018
CULWULLA

thats the stairwell for workers.
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #12019
-Cranium-

Damn, I fear you're right CULWULLA! Maxxing out my display's brightness and gamma, I can see regular dark patches on what I mistook for the base of the spire. Not sure why, but this registers with me as the look of a concrete wall (would this be right?). Playing devil's avocado, though, given the spire and stairwell have different 'axes', the chances of the stairwell (which is rectangular or circular in X-section, I guess) _appearing_ to be the base of the spire are reasonably low...
Old November 19th, 2008, 02:48 AM   #12020
rickydavisfan21
McSAME and FAILIN

Likes (Received): 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Machine View Post
There is one thing you have wrong though because I looked into why Dubai has so many stupid malls. Because the temperature there is always around 100 degrees. Although organic in planning, the city is also rather Corbusian which hasn't been proven on its effectiveness on traffic and sustainability. Look at his contemporary city drawings where he has traffic and everything analyzed to minimize all inconvenience.
That would be why I related it to Corbusien ideals. Which have proven to be just short of disastrous in the US. Don't get me wrong, Le Corbusier has always been one of my favorite architecture, and his theory was very utopian and fantastic on paper. I'm very studied on his ideals.

Honestly, I would love Dubai if it had a good public transportation system, gridded streets, more variety per block, and less "superblocks." I can understand the mall situation, and while I have considered the climate to be an issue (aka why I would never live there) I had not considered it a reason for the malls. So thank you for suggestion. However, even with that considered I think Dubai really lacks character overall, and I still maintain its a suburb on steroids.
rickydavisfan21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae