daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2008, 11:51 PM   #12441
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...al-crisis.html

"Known as the “Indian on top of the world”, Mr Sassi is the crane operator at the tallest building on earth – the 819m Burj Dubai. Sassi’s office, the cramped crane cab precariously perched on top of the Burj, is also his home – apparently it takes too long to come down to ground level each day to make it worthwhile"

LOOOL its his home.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2008, 12:18 AM   #12442
Jarott

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
"Known as the “Indian on top of the world”, Mr Sassi is the crane operator at the tallest building on earth – the 819m Burj Dubai. Sassi’s office, the cramped crane cab precariously perched on top of the Burj, is also his home – apparently it takes too long to come down to ground level each day to make it worthwhile"
"Some disco in dubai..."
-yes baybe, i live just by the burj, wanna come in for some hot sexing?

now if any millionaire in the world, belives that his 20mln crib on some carrebean islands coast has a good view, than his world might get shattered after reading that...
Jarott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 01:00 AM   #12443
Land Man

Best Spire Pix

The best pix I've seen so far that shows the spire inside the upper steel floors was posted by Imre on page 621 post #12414

If you click on the magnification feature of the Image Shack photo hosting you can clearly see the spire going down inside the steel floors including the section where it is much wider in diameter than the top section - that is at the level right above where the first tower crane support attaches.
Land Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 01:04 AM   #12444
ABQ_X-PAT
A passion for Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 116

An alarming quote from the article -

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...al-crisis.html

LOOOL its his home.
From the same article: quote: "But in recent weeks the cracks in Dubai's economy have become undeniable. Property prices have slumped, demand has dried up and, for the first time, the emirate is being forced to consider calling a halt to its expansion. Some analysts are claiming that Dubai could implode, weighed down under a pile of debt and, given that it has relatively small oil reserves, no obvious way of paying for it. One said: "This has been the most spectacular spending mission on Earth. But it's a mirage. If complex debt structures have brought the financial world to its knees, Dubai is the world's biggest toxic timebomb."

We shall see what happens and if this is true. It will not effect Burg Dubai from being completed...
ABQ_X-PAT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 01:16 AM   #12445
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 126

It's already having big effects.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 02:31 AM   #12446
Krattle

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ_X-PAT View Post
From the same article: quote: "But in recent weeks the cracks in Dubai's economy have become undeniable. Property prices have slumped, demand has dried up and, for the first time, the emirate is being forced to consider calling a halt to its expansion. Some analysts are claiming that Dubai could implode, weighed down under a pile of debt and, given that it has relatively small oil reserves, no obvious way of paying for it. One said: "This has been the most spectacular spending mission on Earth. But it's a mirage. If complex debt structures have brought the financial world to its knees, Dubai is the world's biggest toxic timebomb."

We shall see what happens and if this is true. It will not effect Burg Dubai from being completed...
Dude, why do you keep saying Burg Dubai? The G is nowhere near the J on the keyboard and you are American - you can read English so you should know how to spell Burj. Not to mention Burj is said only about 1 million times per page.

Also, mere "confidence" in the President cannot make the economy stronger. It may cause little daily spikes in stock market prices, but nothing more. And actually every time Obama has come on TV to speak the market has DROPPED. That's because he never says anything about tax cuts and he doesn't say he won't do tax hikes. He's left it nebulous, which isn't good. Pumping money into already failing companies does not help the market at all.

Last edited by Krattle; December 1st, 2008 at 02:36 AM.
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 02:41 AM   #12447
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by ht-freak View Post
I didn't say that I could "see" it behind the cladding, did I. When I asked Fury how far down the spire extended to. He stated that it should reach down to just above the concrete level. I only claimed the pic "appears" to validate that theory.
Hi ht.

I said IF it is all up there right now the base of the pinnacle pipe is ~1.6m. above the concrete.

We have no pics that show for sure it is all up there but I now am leaning towards the idea that it is.

I don't see top out by new years day now. Word is completion date is now 09 12 20 and some say even that is unrealistic.

Old December 1st, 2008, 02:49 AM   #12448
Krattle

Likes (Received): 12

Whoa, how could this thing take an entire year more? They have only a few meters of steel left and 80% is clad. Interiors?
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 04:11 AM   #12449
Skyscrapers 2009
NYC Skyscrapers Rule!!!!

Likes (Received): 2

I think they decided to redo the entire interior design, that's why they pushed the completion date back.
Skyscrapers 2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 04:18 AM   #12450
ABQ_X-PAT

Hey Krattle... what are you? The spelling police?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krattle View Post
Dude, why do you keep saying Burg Dubai? The G is nowhere near the J on the keyboard and you are American - you can read English so you should know how to spell Burj. Not to mention Burj is said only about 1 million times per page.

Also, mere "confidence" in the President cannot make the economy stronger. It may cause little daily spikes in stock market prices, but nothing more. And actually every time Obama has come on TV to speak the market has DROPPED. That's because he never says anything about tax cuts and he doesn't say he won't do tax hikes. He's left it nebulous, which isn't good. Pumping money into already failing companies does not help the market at all.
Hey Krattle... what are you? The spelling police? The only person who is taking umbrage at the spelling error is you. Get a life.

Secondly, you must be one of those angry Republicans who are still smarting from their loss Nov 4th.

You have been caught in two lies. One saying the market dropped everytime President Obama has spoken. Not true. It rose four times this week. Your next lie is about the tax cuts. President Elect Obama has promised tax-cuts for 95% of Americans who file a tax return and will be one of the first bills he submits to Congress on Jan 20th.

Really Krattle... you are an idiot American and a Republican. It is no wonder that the United States is hated worldwide when we have people like you supporting such a bankrupt ideology and a degenerate for president (who, with his cronies brought on this crisis). No wonder conservatives cannot win elections.

Oh... you must think the 8 trillion for the bail-out is free money right? It is not. This is nothing more than a tax increase with a different name --- you know... it has to be paid back WITH INTEREST.

Moderators: I apologize for this thread going off course like this. I know this is about BurJ Dubai --- but pertinent as the worldwide financial crisis certainly effects construction activities.
Old December 1st, 2008, 04:36 AM   #12451
Capn Jef

Likes (Received): 9

Actually, it bothered me every time you said burg dubai, but not so much as your blatent trolling...with a mod suck up at the end.
Capn Jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 05:05 AM   #12452
ABQ_X-PAT

Oh brother! Trolling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Jef View Post
Actually, it bothered me every time you said burg dubai, but not so much as your blatent trolling...with a mod suck up at the end.
Trolling? Surely you jest!
Old December 1st, 2008, 05:13 AM   #12453
Woozy

Likes (Received): 3

Im not sure exactly who the troll is, but who ever they were, they were unsuccessful.
Woozy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 06:34 AM   #12454
suki2011

Don’t ridicule the poor and unfortunate, he is still a human being worthy of kindness. Remember that it could happen to anyone!
suki2011 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 06:35 AM   #12455
chuck23
Latino Zamboangueño

Likes (Received): 3831

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Man View Post

Nice pic, can see the spire already!
Old December 1st, 2008, 07:03 AM   #12456
DennisS
Just a student

Likes (Received): 70

Some new pics from this morning during a big traffic jam:

Spire can be clearly seen going behind the cladding which is there at the moment. I heared there has been a 'test-jack' (good English?) of 50 cm but the jacking will not start this week because of some small problems (not with the jacking itself). So some patience needed..
DennisS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 07:20 AM   #12457
drew.magoo

Likes (Received): 17

thanks for the updates dennis
i wonder what kind of problems theyre having?
drew.magoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 09:22 AM   #12458
chuck23
Latino Zamboangueño

Likes (Received): 3831

Nakheel is one of the fastest contractors in the world!!!!
Old December 1st, 2008, 09:39 AM   #12459
MetalliTooL

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck23 View Post
Nakheel is one of the fastest contractors in the world!!!!
Old December 1st, 2008, 10:33 AM   #12460
dik408

I have to ask a question: how tall is it now?
dik408 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae