daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 05:06 AM   #12501
sledge

Likes (Received): 0

Excuse my ignorance but how do they dismantle the crane at the top without damaging the building??? Helicopter????
sledge no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2008, 05:49 AM   #12502
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10146

^a smaller recover crane is put up near main crane. this carries the larger crane dow bit by bit. then the smaller recover crane is dismantled into small pieces and taken down goods lift.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 06:05 AM   #12503
sledge

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
^a smaller recover crane is put up near main crane. this carries the larger crane dow bit by bit. then the smaller recover crane is dismantled into small pieces and taken down goods lift.
Thanks
sledge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 06:18 AM   #12504
DennisS
Just a student

Likes (Received): 70

Construction update 3/12/2008: Nothing new to see at the top.

DennisS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:24 AM   #12505
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Press Release

Gulf Extrusions is sole supplier of aluminium profiles for Armani Hotel at Burj Dubai

Company’s products meet stringent quality and design standards stipulated by designers of the luxury hotel

December 3, 2008
Gulf Extrusions, one of the largest aluminium extrusion plants in the Gulf, has announced that it is catering to the aluminium requirements of the Armani Hotel that is currently under construction as part of the Burj Dubai development. Gulf Extrusions is supplying aluminium materials for all working areas in the hotel including the main lobby arches, main lobby suspended sealing and the Kandahar Restaurant, based on the requirements stipulated by the designers of the luxury hotel.

Gulf Extrusions was awarded the contract to supply aluminium profiles for the Armani Hotel by Fino International, a leading interior contracting and finishing company, which is responsible for the interior work of the Armani Hotel.

“Being associated with the Armani Hotel is no doubt a matter of immense pride for Gulf Extrusions, and the fact that we were chosen to supply aluminium profiles for such a prestigious project is testament to our expertise, the superior quality of our products and our impressive track record,” said Modar Al Mekdad, General Manager, Gulf Extrusions.

“The designers of the Armani Hotel, as expected, had laid out very stringent quality and precision requirements for all aspects of the project, especially the interiors, which required the use of substantial aluminium materials. We are proud that, with the contributions of our experienced engineers, we were able to meet every design and fabrication requirement to the last detail,” he added.
The Dubai Armani Hotel –the first Armani brand hotel in the world- will include 175 guest rooms and suites, five restaurants and a spa, covering more than 40,000 square meters and occupying the first 37 floors of the Burj Dubai. Alongside the hotel, the Burj Dubai will also offer 160 luxury residential apartments all designed by Giorgio Armani and fully furnished with a specially designed line of products from the Armani Casa home furnishings collection.

In 2006, Gulf Extrusions had been appointed as the sole supplier of aluminium for the Burj Dubai project, having signed a multi million dirham contract to supply 1,400 metric tons of alloy 6061 and 6063 for the one-of-a-kind project that is scheduled for completion next year.

Gulf Extrusions, which is part of the Al Ghurair Group of Companies, produces profiles ranging from architectural sections to components for household items, AC grills and customised products. The company also extrudes products of several European suppliers and companies under agreement. Nearly 70 percent of Gulf Extrusions' production is supplied to the domestic market to support the enormous construction projects in the UAE. The rest are exported to South East Asia, other GCC countries, Europe and Canada.

Modar Al Mekdad, General Manager, Gulf Extrusions.

About Gulf Extrusions:
Gulf Extrusions is the largest extrusion plants in the Gulf with a 30 year history of top quality production. Located at Jebel Ali, it is minutes away from one of the busiest sea ports in the Gulf. The plant is designed to produce aluminium sections in mill finish, silver, bronze, gold and color anodized, and powder coated finishes. The modem processing equipment and techniques permit the company to produce a range of over 10,000 profiles. These vary from architectural sections to components for household items, AC grills and customized products. Nearly 70% of the output generated by Gulf Extrusions is used in the local market to support the building and construction projects. Gulf Extrusions also exports to various markets in GCC and Middle East countries, as well as markets in Europe, West Africa, Asia and Canada.
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 10:02 AM   #12506
Desert Diver
Just add water

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Link View Post
...what kind of camera / lenses are you using?
As you already found out the camera is a Nikon D40x (a rather basic SLR-model). I usually use it with a Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED lens which provides large flexibility without having to switch lenses. Additionally I have a Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC Fisheye, but I hardly use it for shooting architecture. Doing so would make Burj Dubai look obese

Thanks for the kudos anyway And good work inserting Petronas
Desert Diver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:22 PM   #12507
Ember-To-Ashes

Likes (Received): 7

4 weeks until new years eve.... it's looking unlikely it'll top out before then =/
Ember-To-Ashes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:33 PM   #12508
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Diver View Post
As you already found out the camera is a Nikon D40x (a rather basic SLR-model). I usually use it with a Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED lens which provides large flexibility without having to switch lenses. Additionally I have a Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC Fisheye, but I hardly use it for shooting architecture. Doing so would make Burj Dubai look obese

Thanks for the kudos anyway And good work inserting Petronas
Thanks very much Desert Diver

I'm currently shooting a Canon 10D here myself with a 50mm f/1.4 and a basic Sigma 70-300mm. I'm seriously looking to upgrade to a Canon 5D Mark II though before going to Dubai. That way I'll have full-frame + 24-105mm f4 L IS USM as well as high def video capture to well, capture such an amazing skyscraper!

Sounds like a very nice lens though - like an equivalent to a Canon L series (sorry I don't know the Nikkon models that well). You're right though on the fisheye - cool lens but not for architecture most of the time!

Oh and a slightly off-topic observation...I'm figuring it's not rocket science here but do you dive in tropical / arid climates? I just recently obtained a moderate-depth PADI license as well. I don't own gear yet but it would be pretty cool I'd think to dive in the beautiful waters in the gulf presuming one would be able to rent gear somewhere in Dubai.
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:13 PM   #12509
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

secret-of-burj-dubai-height-revealed

This was in www.Arabianbusiness.com a few minutes ago, but by the time my better half sent to me in the office its now a 404-site cannot be found.

Her initial read was the final height was eight hundred and something.

Divorce coming up, but funny site has been pulled hiding the comments of a disgruntled Emaar employee who was recently sacked.

I will look and see if the link below comes live later.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/54020...eight-revealed
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:16 PM   #12510
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

You can hire diving gears here and I just bought a Sigma 70 - 300 myself. Used it once 10 days ago (I've a 450D) but was not happy. Very difficult to take a clear shot handheld and it had a very limited range within the city. Practically you couldn't take a pic of an entire skyscraper unless you were 1 mile away.

Took pics of (the top of) Burj Dubai also but I never posted them here since the next day there was a progress on the tower so my pics were already absolete, not to mentioned not happy with the quality.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:19 PM   #12511
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident View Post
This was in www.Arabianbusiness.com a few minutes ago, but by the time my better half sent to me in the office its now a 404-site cannot be found.

Divorce coming up, but funny site has been pulled hiding the comments of a disgruntled Emaar employee who was recently sacked.

LOL, Arabian Business should have known better then just publishing info that EMAAR is trying hard to keep it secret and then humiliate themself by being ordered to remove them.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:28 PM   #12512
Desert Diver
Just add water

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Link View Post
...I'm figuring it's not rocket science here but do you dive in tropical / arid climates? I just recently obtained a moderate-depth PADI license as well. I don't own gear yet but it would be pretty cool I'd think to dive in the beautiful waters in the gulf presuming one would be able to rent gear somewhere in Dubai.
I dive anywhere, used to do it a lot back in Germany and Norway (lakes, Atlantic, Baltic sea), have been several times to Malaysia, Thailand, Egypt for diving and try to do it as often as possible here in UAE or Musandam. You can rent equipment from any dive shop all over the world. If there's a shop they will most definetly offer renting the gear For beginners I would not recommend diving the Gulf (poor visibility), rather go to East Coast and dive Musandam. Here some pics:

http://www.quetschluft.de/dubai/oman/oman.html

@rest
Sorry for the off-topic
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:30 PM   #12513
jaleelmalik
Trivandrum Tiger

Likes (Received): 61

and ...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by valantino View Post
A little over confident considering world wide consumer confidence is at an all time low and projects are being placed on hold or cancelled outright left, right, and center. Dubai, China, Russia, NY are in the thick of it.
.....Nakheel had terminated nearly 600 employees, 2 days back without any notice and still planning to cut more employees. Many of the projects of Emaar & Nakheel have been frozen. What will be the status of other builders, at a time when the premiers are cutting their staff down?
So please wait patiently and see what is happening.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:36 PM   #12514
Desert Diver
Just add water

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
...I just bought a Sigma 70 - 300 myself. Used it once 10 days ago (I've a 450D) but was not happy. Very difficult to take a clear shot handheld and it had a very limited range within the city. Practically you couldn't take a pic of an entire skyscraper unless you were 1 mile away.
Yeah, 70mm is already quite a tunnel vision. And anything more than 100mm needs stabilizing IMO. I really appreciate having a lens with "VR" (Vibration reduction) it does a great job and it was very much worth the extra money. You aim, you focus... and the motive just freezes! Awesome technology For the night shots I use a solid tripod of course

Last edited by Desert Diver; December 3rd, 2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:59 PM   #12515
DennisS
Just a student

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident View Post

Thought she would have some credit since she waited for you in the car a the BD gate when you was detained there, or am I wrong?
DennisS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 02:50 PM   #12516
Imre
Dubai

Secret of Burj Dubai height revealed - Real Estate ...EXCLUSIVE: Architect behind mega-project says skyscraper designed to be 808 metres.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:58 PM   #12517
Dan Hochhaus
highrise addicted

Likes (Received): 35

So 808m!? That's a loss of 11m to the prediction and would be not too dramatic.
At first this sounded a bit like a witty response to me... such as: a 404-site proves excatly the double height in meters...

But now the mentionned link to www.arabianbusiness.com is working and telling, that the "skyscraper's final height was set to be 808 metres, or half a mile..." - but that had happened back in 2006, when this anonymous architect left the company! So perhaps mods should wait before changing the thread title, I suppose.

Last edited by Dan Hochhaus; December 3rd, 2008 at 04:15 PM.
Dan Hochhaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:01 PM   #12518
Imre
Dubai

Architect reveals Burj Dubai height

by Tom Arnold, on Wednesday, 03 December 2008

SECRET REVEALED: The Burj Dubai was destined to be 808 metres tall. (Getty Images)Since its conception the final height of the Burj Dubai, the world's tallest tower, has been the subject of much speculation.

But on Wednesday one of the architects behind the mega-project spoke for the first time about his role in the iconic scheme and told Arabian Business the Burj Dubai was originally designed to be 808 metres tall.

Marshall Strabala, who worked as associate partner and lead designer for Chicago-based Skidmore, Owings and Merrill (SOM), said when he left the company in 2006 the skyscraper's final height was set to be 808 metres, or half a mile.

Strabala's remarks are the first time anyone involved in the project has revealed the planned height of the Burj Dubai, which developer Emaar Properties confirmed on Wednesday was currently 730 metres tall and rising.

"I don’t know where it [the Burj Dubai] is with its steel but 808 metres was its design when I left SOM in 2006, which is exactly half a mile tall," said Strabala, whose latest design project is Shanghai Tower, China's tallest building.

SOM started planning work on the Burj Dubai in mid-2002 after winning a competition to design the tower.

"The design of the Burj was primarily a residential building," he said. "We changed the top to office very late in the game.

"With a hotel at the bottom, it was primarily super high-end luxury and I think [Emaar chairman] Mohamed Ali Alabbar had a terrific business model for doing it as his whole development is around the Burj... this was an element that marked this part of the city."

Strabala said the design of the tower, with its three-legged shape, was based on a 72-storey tower SOM worked on called Tower Palace Three in Seoul, South Korea.

"I believe design is an evolution, not a revolution, you are not coming up with completely independent thoughts every time you do a building, you build on the buildings you do before.

"The structural system and philosophy of how the Burj works is based on that [Tower Palace Three], it was adapted and changed for the new programme of the Burj," said Strabala, who has also designed plans for King Abdullah Economic City and King Abdul Aziz International Airport in Saudi Arabia.

Emaar still refuses to confirm the final height of the tower, merely stating that when completed it will hold the world record in all four categories as recognised by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat - namely, highest structure, roof, antenna and occupied floor.

"Burj Dubai is currently over 730 metres and continues to rise. The final height of the tower is yet to be released by Emaar Properties," a company spokesman said.

The Burj Dubai's final height had been rumoured to be between 700 and 1,000 metres, with media reports last year suggesting it would be 818 metres, citing architects drawings posted on the internet.

The Burj Dubai is to be the centrepiece of a city within a city, Downtown Burj Dubai. The $20 billion development as a whole will include 30,000 homes, nine hotels, 6.2 acres of parkland, 19 residential towers, the Dubai Mall, and a 30-acre manmade lake with one of the biggest fountains in the world.

Rival Dubai-based developer Nakheel in October unveiled plans to build its own skyscraper, which at 1.4 kilometres tall would dwarf the Burj Dubai.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:05 PM   #12519
Imre
Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hochhaus View Post
So 808m for sure? That would be a loss of 11m to the prediction, that'd be not dramatic.
But as you give no precise source, this sounds a bit like a witty response... like: a 404-site proves excatly the double height in meters... On the other hand, maybe you're just up-to-date and quicker than the official announcements, Imre
still nothing official, this is just an article
Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:42 PM   #12520
Dan Hochhaus
highrise addicted

Likes (Received): 35

Yes, I know... (noticing the article there after my posting, I've updated the latter meanwhile).

One part is surprising: who had guessed Tower Palace Three in Seoul as a precursor of Burj Dubai! Didn't we think about an evolution from the design of Grollo Tower for the BD?

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae