daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 18th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #13201
AvanGard
HMS

Likes (Received): 25

Can they actually raise the pinnacle to its final height without first completing the half section steel floors?

What an amazing progress. New Year’s top-out seems almost inevitable.
AvanGard no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #13202
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10146

attention imre
could i ask a favour and ask you to grab a pic like the one below but have the wing (tier11) where lev124 ob deck is located? i reckon it will be cool to show evberyone the view up -from the ob deck
thanks mate
image hosted on flickr
Old December 19th, 2008, 12:13 AM   #13203
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 192

Nearing the 1/2 mile mark.

1 mile = 5,280 feet or 1,609.34 Meters

1/2 mile (1,609.34 divided by 2) = 804.67 Meters

804.67 - 780 = 24.67 Meters left to reach the 1/2 mile mark

CrazyDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 12:38 AM   #13204
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

great pics and updates ,love the diagram cul you must spend hours of painstaking work on them , can we get a close up of the jacking machinary please ?
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 01:03 AM   #13205
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
The great thing about the photosynths is that they do retain the full resolution of each individual picture, so you can zoom in to see the full detail.

To put the single stitched photo that I posted on Tuesday (post 13058) into perspective -

The posted photo is only 841KB, and 1228x6307 pixels, whereas the full size stitched photo is four times the resolution: 2455x12613 pixels.

The large version (not posted) was made from 8 individual photos, each of 2048x3072 pixels, totaling 14.1MB of data.

As you can imagine - the full size version with minimal compression is pretty spectacular. I'm tempted to straighten it out, take out a few of the flares, tidy it up a bit, and get it printed. Not sure what an acceptable pixel density would be for a print, but a six foot high print would work out to around 175 pixels per inch.

Apart from the stitching, no post-processing was performed at all. Equipment used is quite modest - a Canon 300D (I'd love to get a 50D, but can't afford one at the moment!), with a Sigma 70-300mm F4.00-5.6 APO DG.
Great tidbits on the details, man! Thanks for informing us of that. Yeah I also shoot with a Canon 10D and either a 50 prime or Sigma 70-300 f4.5-5.6 myself. Not a super expensive lens but the reach it has is incredible in the right circumstances. Would be great for BD!

Actually I believe I read that for the larger the print, actually the less amount of per-pixel sharpness you need since the image is so big. I think I've heard that 175 pixels/inch is plenty enough for a large print like that. That'd be great to have - though I'd have no place to hang something so big at my place haha!

Thanks again for the insight and all the work you've put into making the shots combine as well as they did.

To whom asked about the conspicuousness of such a large lens - sure, people will definitely notice you for sure and almost always assume you're a professional or doing an article for a newspaper or such lol! I've carried the 300mm around plenty of times and sure, it does create some attention but honestly I think at such a prestigous part of Dubai, people are used to seeing nice cars and all kinds of state-of-the-art tech and gear.

You might have security come up and inquire as to what you're doing but I don't personally see it as being "an issue" for the most part. Best to ask with people though just in case! We don't need our local photographers led out of The Address by security lol...
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 01:20 AM   #13206
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

So damn narrow up there... it's looking great, though.
Old December 19th, 2008, 02:54 AM   #13207
Ember-To-Ashes

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
I found the picture about the spire lenght someone spoke about.
[IMG]http://i41.************/m7gcih.jpg[/IMG]

copyright by: ember to ashes

So guys do you really think a higher BD than 819m would look good?
This is my pic i edited. looks pretty good. the one on the right is about 850m tho. still looks awesome either way.
Ember-To-Ashes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 03:29 AM   #13208
VRS

Likes (Received): 11525

how many Burj Dubai will hit by lighting again..if the spire high more then 819??
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 04:15 AM   #13209
B787-938

Likes (Received): 176

Thanks for the latest pics Imre.
Did anyone see how they installed the small section of Tier 27 to the pinnacle? Did they crane it up complete with the glazing attached? That would have been a interesting exercise for the crane operator to get it into location amongst all that structure. The next couple of sections below that will be even more difficult.

This stage by stage operation is really quite interesting to see!
B787-938 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 05:10 AM   #13210
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRS View Post
how many Burj Dubai will hit by lighting again..if the spire high more then 819??
what ? well it already got hit, so i'm sure its going to happen alot
Old December 19th, 2008, 05:51 AM   #13211
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

Holy Smokes !!!

The fins have been done inside where we can't see. I guess there was room. Those fins have always been in the plans - to whoever posted that they were an afterthought.

As I posted yesterday they may jack 30m. and stop to install fins. Since all the fins are on there is no need to stop there. By the looks of the various angles (nice shots guys) every fin is installed.

It looks to me they jacked enough so tier 26 is just above the large temp. platform on top of section 22. They will surely stop and add the one small wing on tier 26 and clad it ?
Then jack untill tier 25 is exposed and stop to add the 2 small wings.
Then jack untill tier 24 is exposed and stop to add the 3 small wings.
Then jack to top out and add the 2 sections left of the second big(ger) wing of tier 22, the small wings of tier 22(1) and tier 23 (2), and connections to finish up.
There will probably be more stages but these are the major ones the way I see it - we shall see.

The top access platform still looks unfinished without the handrail and BMU monorail but perhaps I should stop flogging that dead horse ...

Here is some of OTR's shots:

- with some labels

- showing where the one small wing of tier 26 will go

It looks to me that approx. 6m. of tier 29 is above the top beams of section 23B. So 739.3 + ~6.4 + 21.3 + 1 (for the beacons) = 768m. or 2520 feet. Yet another fantastic new record in the history of man made structures.

Top out should be in Jan. '09.
Great time to be a skyscraper watcher/fanatic.

Hi all.

Hey Cul. in your diagram:
The wing just added to the pinnacle is the single wing of tier 26. Tier 27 starts with the roof of that wing as a terrace then continues up circular at 2.1m. dia.

Wow they added that wing fast. They must have them ready to go down on the podium.

Looks like my thoughts in my quote from around 12 pages ago are somewhat correct. They have jacked enough to put on the 2 wings of tier 25. I would say 778m. right now - but hey 780 sounds good to me as Cul has figured.

Here is a print showing where the 2 wings are on tier 25- the crane is at the bottom of the print. Remember the print is called tier 26 start because the roof of one of the wings is a terrace at the start of tier 26 then continues up with one wing. I am using it to show the shape of tier 25.

Here is my Tier Methodology to help with the complex arrangement of tiers and setbacks/terraces.

The_Tier_Methodology_of_the_Burj_Dubai.pdf (8 KB)

OK - I have discussed the issue of posting problems with the source of the new spire jacking plan. He says OK to post so here it is. Just as much info and detail as the original jacking plan we have but this is the latest revision.

Thanks source - you know who you are !!!

plan_spire_erection_3.jpg (1.9 MB)

If the wings are all ready down below we may have top out toot sweet - perhaps before year end ?

Last edited by Fury; December 19th, 2008 at 06:20 AM.
Fury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 06:22 AM   #13212
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6839

great update, hard to believe so quick it's gonna TOP-OUT!!!
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 06:23 AM   #13213
-Cranium-
Atomic weight:2 -> 4 -> 3

Likes (Received): 0

Looks fascinating Fury - wish I understood it all :-(
-Cranium- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 06:31 AM   #13214
gerald.d

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
OK - I have discussed the issue of posting problems with the source of the new spire jacking plan. He says OK to post so here it is. Just as much info and detail as the original jacking plan we have but this is the latest revision.

Thanks source - you know who you are !!!

plan_spire_erection_3.jpg (1.9 MB)

If the wings are all ready down below we may have top out toot sweet - perhaps before year end ?

So is that as official as it gets then?

796.7m to Tier 30, + 21300.0mm to the Pinnacle gives a total height of exactly 818m
gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 06:44 AM   #13215
B787-938

Likes (Received): 176

thanks for the updated spire erection plan Fury
B787-938 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #13216
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Cranium- View Post
Looks fascinating Fury - wish I understood it all :-(
- What do you want me to explain further ? - I will try.
It is all crystal clear to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald.d
So is that as official as it gets then?

796.7m to Tier 30, + 21300.0mm to the Pinnacle gives a total height of exactly 818m
796.7 is the start of tier 30 and the tier is 21.3 high.

Here is page one of my BD Plan ver. 4 to help show the top tiers.

Old December 19th, 2008, 07:10 AM   #13217
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
attention imre
could i ask a favour and ask you to grab a pic like the one below but have the wing (tier11) where lev124 ob deck is located? i reckon it will be cool to show evberyone the view up -from the ob deck
thanks mate

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3190/...2398b730_o.jpg
I will try it today, going there soon

some old pics (March 2008) from the 123rd floor:

Last edited by Imre; December 19th, 2008 at 07:17 AM.
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #13218
iMike

Likes (Received): 0

Model of Burj Dubai - The Skyscraper Museum - Downtown Manhattan

iMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #13219
VRS

Likes (Received): 11525

the 4 picture its amazing.. that business central district.. looks hot from that view..
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #13220
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

19/December/2008

Burj Dubai

more pics coming soon
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae