daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 30th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #13701
Hightech Pro

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
no, because they've 2 more jackings to do. and before every jacking they've to install 3 sections of glass on the spire....and that takes definitely more than 7 days
I thought they only have to add the one small wing on the opposite side of the steel structure of tier 23, because the other 2 of each flloor would make the connection to the existing steel structure of tier 23 when its fully jacked up, so that must be different parts. Or am i mistaken?

Last edited by Hightech Pro; December 30th, 2008 at 08:53 PM.
Hightech Pro no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #13702
stefan040780

Likes (Received): 0

that's what is logical, when you look at fury's plans of tier 22 and 23
they can't add more (half-)wings before top out
so they will only add one missing wing, but which double hight (2x9m segments), which you can see on the picture on the right side of the spire (tier 23)
that's why there are two more jackings (upper part --> jacking --> lower part -->jacking (top out))

tier 23
image hosted on flickr

tier 22
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by stefan040780; December 30th, 2008 at 09:06 PM.
stefan040780 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #13703
DennisS
Just a student

Likes (Received): 70

That's right, only two small wings to add with a jacking in between. So not much to do before another jacking! After the last jacking they're going to connect the spire to the existing structure (tiers 23 & 22) and then some cladding and it's done!

What do we do after that...
DennisS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 11:25 PM   #13704
RON-E

Likes (Received): 35

wow, almost there!
RON-E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #13705
ra7968
Lone Red Rider

So, I am not one to argue with what everyone here thinks are the final plans.....but...the transition from the metal structure to the spire (the part that is jacked and the added "small wings" seems VERY abrupt. There aren't any other setbacks on the structure which are set back so much as a percentage of the overall cross-sectional area....To my eye, it just won't flow all that well. It will basically look like a building with a small roof and an antenna. I hope they plan to put more architectural work into this setback transition. Preferably some sort of intermediate setback to smooth out the transition. And they can do it if they extend the spire. Just weld more pipe on in the building and jack it way up and then put an intermediate setback on there on top of the existing metal structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew.magoo View Post
i have plans!!! =D

lol, this is to clear everything up

tier 26
image hosted on flickr

tier 25
image hosted on flickr

tier 24
image hosted on flickr

tier 23
image hosted on flickr

tier 22
image hosted on flickr

the wings with the thinner line drawings are balconies, so they are not part of that tier. so tier 26 has only one small wing, and so on and so forth
ra7968 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 12:05 AM   #13706
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequal View Post
Last jacking was yesterday? :p
dirty

Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 12:11 AM   #13707
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10147

guys, NO SPAMMING, stay on topic.ive just deleted 25 posts!!
no talk about comparing to mountains ect.
keep to construction of Burj Dubai!
Old December 31st, 2008, 12:14 AM   #13708
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

another milestone, first pass the 800m barrier,i dont know why this monster or any other skyscrapers arent in 2009 the latest guinness book of records . so whats the odds of this going passed 819meters ?
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 12:19 AM   #13709
CULWULLA

^yes the guinness book is really gone down hill over past few years. i spent 30mins last week trying to find tall structures and all i could find is a silly card tower.
the top ten is a better publication.
just on milestones and tall building categories. we really need to seriously think about setting up a new supertall cat. burj dubai clearly shouldnt be lumped in same sentence as a 300m building.
ive said a thousand times, the "megatall" category should be 500m+ .
we have many now either uc or proposed. i think 30?
maybe 2009 we should think about this
Old December 31st, 2008, 12:26 AM   #13710
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
^yes the guinness book is really gone down hill over past few years. i spent 30mins last week trying to find tall structures and all i could find is a silly card tower.
the top ten is a better publication.
just on milestones and tall building categories. we really need to seriously think about setting up a new supertall cat. burj dubai clearly shouldnt be lumped in same sentence as a 300m building.
ive said a thousand times, the "megatall" category should be 500m+ .
we have many now either uc or proposed. i think 30?
maybe 2009 we should think about this
Actually, I agree...That way would be much easier to follow that forest of skyscrapers around the world...
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 12:33 AM   #13711
WitchKing

Absolutely right, a new category is due
WitchKing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 12:36 AM   #13712
l'eau
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

i personally think we should wait for more "megatall"(500+) projects to open a megatall subforum.
l'eau no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 12:37 AM   #13713
Dequal
Architect

Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfect Ending View Post
dirty
you're a funny little boy aren't you pervert minded
Dequal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 12:38 AM   #13714
Infrasuper Planet
Infrasuper Planet

Likes (Received): 1

long overdue
800m...Beyond...
Great Pictures from all those who have contributed and thanks to the experts who have explained to all of us of the different construction stages and for your informed opinions.
Happy New Year to Everyone!

Aerials are Beyond Ones Mind to Imagine.
We are watching the Future Rise from the depth of the Earth and into the Heavens ever Higher
Infrasuper Planet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 02:30 AM   #13715
sapmi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 96

Can't believe it's almost finished. I've followed it from the start. Feels a bit sad in a way.

Happy new year!
sapmi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 03:39 AM   #13716
ausie
BANNED

Likes (Received): 28

i highly doubt that burj dubai will top out before this afternoon so unfortunately we will probably have to wait until next year, btw awesome photos
ausie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 04:49 AM   #13717
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

The 2 jacking stages left that I mentioned is just my best guess. But you guys are really on the ball with reading my posts. A while ago I was starting to think no one read my long winded posts. Thanks guys.

Those prints Drew posted are the start of the tier prints. (I wonder where he got those ... ) It is a bit confusing but I think some of you are getting the jist - the start of a tier prints include a terrace that is the roof of a wing from the tier below. Above that the tier does not include that wing.

Here is the start of tier 23.

[IMG]http://i44.************/11b3q53.jpg[/IMG]

The big wing at the bottom is the terrace - that wing is not there for the rest of the tier. We can see the small wing that is facing opposite the larger wing. That is the wing that I think they will add next. We can see the 2 half wings that make the cladding connection between the larger and the small wing. It seems to me we would have to be topped out to add them, but ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBQuantum View Post
Its our duty to get this thread to 800+ pages.

i think its easily possible, a whole another year before completion.
Hi DXB.

This is the 30th BD thread - there is approx. 1000 pages before this thread started.
Old December 31st, 2008, 05:18 AM   #13718
bizzybonita
ĐЯ ฿฿ שίŧђ Ħīĝђ קΘฬξЯ

Likes (Received): 55

Burj Dubai now 780m high - Emaar

on Tuesday, 30 December 2008

ON THE RISE: The Burj Dubai now stands at 780 metres and nears completion. (Supplied)Burj Dubai, the world’s tallest building has reached a record 780 metres high, Dubai-based Emaar Properties, said on Tuesday.

The building, the centrepiece of Emaar’s $20 billion Downtown Burj Dubai project, now stands at more than 160 storeys tall.

This year, Burj Dubai became the world’s tallest structure surpassing the KVLY-TV mast in North Dakota in the US and the Taipei 101 building in Taiwan.

In 2008 its height also broke the 31-year old record held by the CN Tower, which at 553.33m was the world’s tallest free-standing structure on land since 1976.

“This has been a landmark year for Burj Dubai, as it consolidated its global leading position in the construction of high-rises. Every aspect of Burj Dubai, now, is a world-first, and highlights the new aspects of construction technology employed for the tower,” said Ahmad Al Matrooshi, managing director, UAE for Emaar Properties.

Emaar still refuses to confirm the final height of the tower, but reports have speculated that it is between 700 and 1,000 metres with many suggesting 818 metres.

Last month Marshall Strabala, one of the architects behind the mega-project, who worked as associate partner and lead designer for Chicago-based Skidmore, Owings and Merrill (SOM), told Arabian Business that the final height of the building was designed to be 808 metres tall, or half a mile.

Once complete the Burj Dubai will hold the world record in all four categories as recognised by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat - namely, highest structure, roof, antenna and occupied floor.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/54234...m-high---emaar
Old December 31st, 2008, 07:12 AM   #13719
CULWULLA

how come emaar dont know how tall there own bldg is currently? how come we know. cant they calculate themsleves or realise what section they are jacking.800m guys. get with program. sheesh
my last diagram for 2008
happy new year!
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by CULWULLA; December 31st, 2008 at 07:23 AM.
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 07:23 AM   #13720
DXBQuantum

Location: From - London, Work - Dubai, Ski - Colorado, Fly - New Zealand
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post

This is the 30th BD thread - there is approx. 1000 pages before this thread started.
Oh ok, cool!

even if it did top out today, new years eve has been canceled here in Dubai by Shaikh Mo, so no light shows or fireworks from BD tonight

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci
DXBQuantum no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae