daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 7th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #14001
SirAdrian
♥ Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 49

You forgot the "m"
SirAdrian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #14002
Aadil.Aijaz
Be careful. He bites.

Likes (Received): 1180

818 what??? please add "m"
Aadil.Aijaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #14003
AlbertZ
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1

Yeah, excellent photos. I could only realize its height seeing the steps on the first pic. What a feeling it can be workin at 800 m! Incredible. The height in reality can be even more shocking.
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #14004
jhalsey

Likes (Received): 182

Amazing. Nearly finished now.
jhalsey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #14005
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Lucky and rich Becks...

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/E...ow/3940950.cms

Must post this photo again, it cracks me up

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #14006
King of Construction
skyscraperized

Likes (Received): 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
Lol the article isn't right, it says the builder is Nakheel it's Emaar and Nakheel is their biggest competitor.

CTBUH is also probably gonna count the height of Burj different and will include the lower underground levels, which could make the official height about 830 meters.

Visited countries: Austria-Belgium-Bosnia & Herzegovina-Bulgaria-Canada-Croatia-Czech Republic-England-France-Germany-Greece-Hong Kong-Italy-Liechtenstein- Luxembourg
Malaysia-Montenegro-Morocco-the Netherlands-Poland-Serbia-Singapore-Spain- Switzerland-Turkey-United Arab Emirates-United States of America-Wales
King of Construction no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #14007
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Actually both nakheel and emaar are owned by members of the royal family if i remember right.

Last edited by patrykus; January 7th, 2009 at 06:34 PM.
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #14008
Hightech Pro

Likes (Received): 21

What is taking them so long to put the small cladding on it and just jack it?
Hightech Pro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #14009
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240909

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
hi fury, ive changed thread title to 818m. i think the aircraft beacon rail structure wont be done to plan, so the small lights only protrude 1/2 meter of top of pinnacle, so safe to call height 818m. what you think?
latest pic by 234sale shows pinnacle stil, at 800m.
great shots
So, final height of Burj Dubai is 818m (?)
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #14010
Ricardo Jorge

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickasadog View Post
Height isn't an issue, since any fall from more than 15m is life-threatening. I know it's mundane, but they don't need to reinvent the wheel to wash the windows on this building.
Just an off-topic... you meant more than 1.5m right?
Because any fall from 6m or 7m will most probably kill you, let alone 15m.
You have to be the luckiest person on earth... or land on a huge pile of pillows to survive a 15m fall

Now a fall from 800 metres will leave you time to enjoy the view for quite a while:

t=[(800)/(4.9)]^(1/2)

hm.... t=12.77 seconds... maybe with the ascending winds, some 14 or 15 seconds, depending on the clothes you are wearing...

PS: Impact speed would be around 450km/h (280miles/h)... Geez!
Ricardo Jorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #14011
Candy
Architectural Student

Likes (Received): 2

Wow I'm going to Dubai as soon as that thing is built It's a bird, it's plane! NO IT'S A 818 METER MONSTER! :P
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #14012
Nomadd22

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Jorge View Post
Just an off-topic... you meant more than 1.5m right?
Because any fall from 6m or 7m will most probably kill you, let alone 15m.
You have to be the luckiest person on earth... or land on a huge pile of pillows to survive a 15m fall

Now a fall from 800 metres will leave you time to enjoy the view for quite a while:

t=[(800)/(4.9)]^(1/2)

hm.... t=12.77 seconds... maybe with the ascending winds, some 14 or 15 seconds, depending on the clothes you are wearing...

PS: Impact speed would be around 450km/h (280miles/h)... Geez!
Last time I checked, there was some sort of gaseous mixture in Dubai called "Air" The only way you'd reach 280 mph is if you were jumping in vacuum. Terminal velocity for an average person is only 120 to 140 mph. That's the danger of attempting to look knowledgeble by looking up formulas you don't understand.

818 meters has to be the worst kept "closely guarded secret" in history. Everybody except the halfwits in the media who write about the tower have known it for months.
Is the beacon considered an architectural part of the building? The beacons on the big towers I use to service were around 22" high.

Last edited by Nomadd22; January 7th, 2009 at 10:41 PM.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #14013
Ricardo Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadd22 View Post
Last time I checked, there was some sort of gaseous mixture in Dubai called "Air" The only way you'd reach 280 mph is if you were jumping in vacuum.
Yeah right, maybe not 280, but 250? wow. Do you have all the data available for that precise calculation? And who needs gaseous mixtures of cynicism after all?

As I said, depending on the clothes you'd wear and the ascending winds, because last time I checked that gaseous mixture called "Air" is barely neglectable for a solid and dense round mass like a human body.

If you are so good at Physics you should know that long ago.
And what does it matters after all? It was supposed to be a cool off-topic to break the routine of "wow, there's a new window in Burj Dubai".
Ricardo Jorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #14014
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Likes (Received): 11

the photos are awesome!! Dubai is just one enormous construction site!!
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #14015
Rud88
Rud88

Likes (Received): 0

INCREDIBLE!!!

Hi all, I've been following this thread since 2003 when I first moved to Dubai. I cannot believe the incredible feat of engineering and how much its progressed over the years, astounding! Although I now live in london I cannot wait to go back and stand under this monster!!!
Rud88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:33 PM   #14016
saeed
KING SAEED III

So no body agree that this building is T/O by now at 800?!
but hello , the light on the top of the spire is on every night!!!
or may be its a star in the sky that appears exactly in a perfect position there, I cant tell its really far away!
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #14017
Jarott

Quote:
Yeah right, maybe not 280, but 250? wow. Do you have all the data available for that precise calculation? And who needs gaseous mixtures of cynicism after all?

As I said, depending on the clothes you'd wear and the ascending winds, because last time I checked that gaseous mixture called "Air" is barely neglectable for a solid and dense round mass like a human body.

And what does it matters after all? It was supposed to be a cool off-topic to break the routine of "wow, there's a new window in Burj Dubai".
as a matter of fact, a maximum speed a sky diver can achieve is about 200 miles an hour. falling in a usual way its about 120. . so next time try to offtop cool without exagerating twice. google doesn't bite, seriously.

and as to falling time you get to 120mph in about 5.4 sec and after about 143 meters, and then continue at this speed for another 12 seconds, so you have about 17 seconds of flight from top of the burj... if you enjoy braking really quick... but i suppose that those quys who did the base jumps made a better deal ;P

and the photo with the space and burj... ah if it was only photoshoped better

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeed View Post
So no body agree that this building is T/O by now at 800?!
but hello , the light on the top of the spire is on every night!!!
or may be its a star in the sky that appears exactly in a perfect position there, I cant tell its really far away!
nobody agrees, because cladding around the spire INSIDE the steel structure doesn't have much sense now does it?

and there was a light on top of the structure since the beginning. couse you know, the light isn't there for stating "we have finished" but for airplanes, so they would see the buildings top and not hit it. now that's a complicated idea isn't it?

as for the last part, yes, all stars align excactly behind the top of the spire, no matter from which side you take the pics. they are so hot when thinking about the burj (which they naturally do all the time, as thinking is one of the blue elements hobbies) that they always want to be in the pic...

-_-'

Last edited by Jarott; January 7th, 2009 at 11:41 PM.
Jarott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:44 PM   #14018
-Cranium-
Atomic weight:2 -> 4 -> 3

Quote:

You're inadvertently correct - air is "barely neglectable" and must be taken into account during a fall so close to the ground! The fall will take at least 17s, and as hinted, the speed on impact will be ~190kph.

And there's nothing routine about a new 'window' up there!

Edit: Beat me to it Jarott :-)
-Cranium- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 04:31 AM   #14019
leogodoy

Likes (Received): 50

Suddenly this thread is full of arrogance and cynicism. I'm not the forum police, but there is no need for impolite expressions such as "now that's a complicated idea isn't it" or "that's the danger of attempting to look knowledgeble by looking up formulas you don't understand".

Cheers
Leo
leogodoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 06:02 AM   #14020
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

So no change at the top as of today. Thanks for the update 234. The top half of the small wing that faces opposite the larger wing of tier 23 should have been just as quick as the small wings of tiers 24, 25, and 26. Perhaps they never had it ready and waiting down on the podium - ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
hi fury, ive changed thread title to 818m. i think the aircraft beacon rail structure wont be done to plan, so the small lights only protrude 1/2 meter of top of pinnacle, so safe to call height 818m. what you think?
latest pic by 234sale shows pinnacle stil, at 800m.
great shots
Hi Cul.

I never really looked that close untill you just mentioned it. By comparing the beacons to the 2.135m. long fins they are pretty close to a meter high. The handrail was going to be 1.1m. high but it obviously isn't up there.

I have been saying for a while now that untill the CTBUH measurement comes up with something different (if they do) I'm sticking to the 818.0m. as per the plans. So I agree on the title change but I also think the beacons are very close to a meter high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Construction
CTBUH is also probably gonna count the height of Burj different and will include the lower underground levels, which could make the official height about 830 meters.
Hi King.

The CTBUH official measurement does not include all the underground levels for most buildings. The wording is "from the sidewalk level outside the main entrance ..." The BD has 3 main entrances at different levels - Concourse level, Ground level, and Level 1. The plans measure 818.0m. from the floor of the Ground level to the floor of the top platform. No matter how the CTBUH measures it that 818.0 will not change. The CTBUH may include the 6.0m. high Concourse level because it is a main entrance. They also may include the top beacons. So they may come up with 819, 824.0 or 825.0 (if the beacons are exactly 1.0m. high of course). As I said before these numbers do not change the 818.0 as per the plans they are just including levels and/or beacons that add to the 818.0.

Last edited by Fury; January 8th, 2009 at 07:00 AM.
Fury no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae