daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 9th, 2009, 12:57 AM   #14061
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
(because that to him has been the tallest most imposing skyscraper he had seen in real life)
And my tallest skyscraper that I've seen in real life is 57 m tall church tower...

Damn, standing in front of the Burj Dubai and stare up is my dream...
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2009, 01:00 AM   #14062
BlackSmith!
Peace sells...

Likes (Received): 6

I remember some two years ago when BD was looking so stumpy. Its like a needle now, so thin and tall. Just amazing
BlackSmith! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 01:15 AM   #14063
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

the tallest structure i have seen and still can remeber the feeling standing infront of it was the berlin tv tower, and thinking that this structure is 450m taller than the Fernsehturm is just mindblowing, cant wait to see it by the edn of the year by myself. This one is also way more massive than a tv tower.
Old January 9th, 2009, 02:13 AM   #14064
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5222

wow, amazing, only 11 months (Im i right?)

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:11 AM   #14065
Nomadd22

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
thanks for latest photos guys. really impressive.
a guy from work asked me the other day how tall is burj dubai compared to sears tower (because that to him has been the tallest most imposing skyscraper he had seen in real life) and i told him twice as high. he just couldnt believe it.
the burj dubai really is a new wonder of the modern world.
we will have to wait to maybe sept this year for forumer photos from lev124. should be cool to get updated photos from the burjd looking down on other projects being erected in Dubai.
cheers
A stick is a stick to me. Someone declaring that the spire on the BD counts and the antenna on the Sears tower doesn't don't really make that much sense objectively. I see a 1740 foot tower and a 2680 foot (next week maybe) tower.
Just look at a drawing of the Petronas towers next to the Sears tower and you'll see what I mean.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:15 AM   #14066
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rud88 View Post
chill out man I was only asking because in some photos it does look like its veering off very slightly to one side!
Well maybe a more appropriate question would have been "Are my eyes deceiving me, or is the spire not straight?" The way you worded it left the impression that you knew it was not straight which is untrue.
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:21 AM   #14067
Skyscraperologist

Likes (Received): 2

When will BD be T/O?
Skyscraperologist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #14068
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
HI FURY, ive chatted to head emporis chief about burj dubais pinnacle handrail ect.they will include it if its gets attached to pinnacle. if it doesnt get constructed and only beacons go up, then the height will exclude beacons.
so i think safe to say 818m.
hopefully some action in next week.
That sounds reasonable Cul.

OK guys - not to split hairs but if the beacons are not included and we go by the plans which has the pinnacle top as the floor of the top platform (which is the top of tier 30) then we are at 799 meters.

There is ~19 meters left to jack as the bottom of tier 24 is just above the bottom of the 19.2m. high tier 23 (3 - 6.4m. high sections).

Still 800 to the top of the beacons right now. Minor details right now - I know but the beacons are not included in the 818.0 meter height. So we are at 799m. ........

I still like the plans for the top platform to have a handrail and monorail for a BMU so they can keep the pinnacle cleaned. It just doesn't look completed up on top. I still have a hunch they may put them up yet ....

Old January 9th, 2009, 07:21 AM   #14069
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

A question: Does anyone know how far away this tower is visible from? Since it's in a desert and on the coast, I'm thinking 50 miles or more on a clear day!!
Old January 9th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #14070
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadd22 View Post
A stick is a stick to me. Someone declaring that the spire on the BD counts and the antenna on the Sears tower doesn't don't really make that much sense objectively. I see a 1740 foot tower and a 2680 foot (next week maybe) tower.
Just look at a drawing of the Petronas towers next to the Sears tower and you'll see what I mean.
1) I agree
2) I don't care

The reason I say this is that I cannot see how having a functional spike is less important than having an architectural spike, surely if it does something it is "worth" more. But secondley and most importantly, the CTBUH ranking means so little to me I honestly couldn't care less. Besides they split everything into categories so it's fairly straight forward to work out which building is tallest. The petronas towers are smaller than sears towers, they always will be, anybody that looks at the pictures will agree with you. Who honestly cares that according to one arbritary set of classifications petronas "wins".
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:30 AM   #14071
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscraperologist View Post
When will BD be T/O?
in the end of this month probably. so only 2-3 weeks to go
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #14072
Duboy
on fire!!

Likes (Received): 3

Next jack up set to happen on the 11th if all goes well.
Duboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #14073
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10124

^cool. that should take it to 810m, then hopefully the last jack soon after
thanks for tip
Old January 9th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #14074
NoAllegiance
Allegiance Aint What I Do

Likes (Received): 9

I might have said this already when other people had disagreements about the spire here, but I think that the spire completes the upward movement of the tower. As you follow the building up, it gets smaller and smaller because of the setbacks. If we were to not have the spire, the design would look stunted because it was left so thick at the top, so I am glad that it is there to complete the design language. The Council that decided that a spire should count as part of the height measurement realized that the spire can be a vital part of the architectural language of the building, and is indeed part of the tower, structurally, and design-wise, so counting it was necessary. It confused me at first but i had to think of it this way: a spire is part of the building, because the architect wanted it there to help complete the design language of the building, while antennas are only there because companies rent them out or whatever. If the companies werent there, then the antennas wouldnt be either (too much maintenance with a nonfunctional part then), but a spire stays on a building no matter who owns it. So there, boy that sounds familiar!
"There are new sights in the sky. Twenty years ago, when one gazed at the heavens, one would see the stars, the moon, the sun, clouds and an occasional comet or two. Now, however, here in the streets of New York City, a few neighbors have moved in. These are made, not of gasses nor water nor dust, but of steel and stone and concrete. These neighbors are not carved by the hands of nature, but by the hands of men. These neighbors are buildings that scrape the sky." -1930's quote, author unknown.
NoAllegiance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #14075
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

09/January/2009

Burj Dubai

Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #14076
Jude12
Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 43

Awesome shots Imre as usual. Almost topped out. can't wait.

USTArchitecture
Jude12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #14077
Skymyhusband
French dwarf

Likes (Received): 60

Thanks Imre Bottom spire cladding seems to be completed

Ready to jack?
Skymyhusband no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #14078
Capn Jef

Likes (Received): 9

This is it...

Unless, of course, they will do it in multiple stages.

To 818!
Capn Jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #14079
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoAllegiance View Post
I might have said this already when other people had disagreements about the spire here, but I think that the spire completes the upward movement of the tower. As you follow the building up, it gets smaller and smaller because of the setbacks. If we were to not have the spire, the design would look stunted because it was left so thick at the top, so I am glad that it is there to complete the design language. The Council that decided that a spire should count as part of the height measurement realized that the spire can be a vital part of the architectural language of the building, and is indeed part of the tower, structurally, and design-wise, so counting it was necessary. It confused me at first but i had to think of it this way: a spire is part of the building, because the architect wanted it there to help complete the design language of the building, while antennas are only there because companies rent them out or whatever. If the companies werent there, then the antennas wouldnt be either (too much maintenance with a nonfunctional part then), but a spire stays on a building no matter who owns it. So there, boy that sounds familiar!
This is a little off topic for this thread but, what is your opinion about the "Spire" on FT? It's certainly not an integral part of the design.
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #14080
stefan040780

Likes (Received): 0

looks like the small wing of tier 23 was attached.
ready to jack (for the secondlast time)
stefan040780 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae