daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 9th, 2009, 04:31 PM   #14081
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

09/January/2009

Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #14082
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Arabic text :

Quote:
Originally Posted by smussuw View Post
We don't wait for events, we create them !
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #14083
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymyhusband View Post
Thanks Imre Bottom spire cladding seems to be completed

Ready to jack?
I think the same also
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #14084
Hightech Pro

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan040780 View Post
looks like the small wing of tier 23 was attached.
ready to jack (for the secondlast time)
Not only the small wing on the opposite side of the steel structure has been attached, but also the transition parts(atleast one of them) from spire cladding to the steel structure.

Imageshack does not work somehow, so i could not upload the edited picture. but when you look very carefully at the lowest spire-wing closest to the steel structure you will discover that it has no cladding directed to the steel structure, because it is the first wing which will be connected on this side to the current top of the steel structure.

The adding of these special half cladded parts must be the reason why they needed 10 days for this stage. Hopefully the next one will be faster.

Jacking will be done very soon, maybe even today.

THX for the great update imre!!!
Hightech Pro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #14085
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

I CAN'T IMAGINE HOW TALL NAKHEEL TOWER'S GONNA BE. This is just mental and HENGE!!!

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #14086
stefan040780

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightech Pro View Post
Not only the small wing on the opposite side of the steel structure has been attached, but also the transition parts(atleast one of them) from spire cladding to the steel structure...
Seems that you are right, also the half wings have been added.
But that means, that we have to wait the same time between the next two jackings, because the lower part of tier 23 looks the same...
So top out should be around the 22nd this month

Last edited by stefan040780; January 9th, 2009 at 08:58 PM.
stefan040780 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #14087
daniel_zg

Likes (Received): 2

It looks better than renders. Thanks Imre for upload !
Old January 9th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #14088
Nomadd22

Likes (Received): 1

Not to split hairs, but when you're trying to figure the exact height, how do you figure ground level since the ground around the building isn't completely flat?
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #14089
Ricardo Jorge

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarott View Post
well when someone brings out the numbers, he should bring them out correctly. and saying that air is barely neglectible makes you a target of cynicism. just a hint: air is the difference between 600 mph and 120 mph. does that sound neglectible?

as for the complicated idea - read his post, really. aspecially the "hello" part.
Stinginess you show. I was never unpolite. I was cool and friendly.

Quote:
as a matter of fact, a maximum speed a sky diver can achieve is about 200 miles an hour. falling in a usual way its about 120. . so next time try to offtop cool without exagerating twice. google doesn't bite, seriously.
You google. I study. Yet I'm going to lose a little more time just to prove that you just opted for trying to make a little fun just because you were in the mood to ridicularize someone. It's typically human, unfortunately.

You've stumbled upon a Wikipedia thing called Terminal Velocity for a skydiver (which is someone who dives with air-resistant clothes, the more resistant, the better).

Eventhough, if, in your effort to be "I kick @$$" you had read the article a little more, you'd have stumbled upon this:

Higher speeds can be attained if the skydiver pulls in his limbs (see also freeflying). In this case, the terminal velocity increases to about 320 km/h (200 mph or 90 m/s)

A sky diver never dives naked, so as I said, a simple t-shirt would change numbers. A sky diver is not a naked human body.

Quote:
and as to falling time you get to 120mph in about 5.4 sec and after about 143 meters, and then continue at this speed for another 12 seconds, so you have about 17 seconds of flight from top of the burj... if you enjoy braking really quick... but i suppose that those quys who did the base jumps made a better deal ;P
Speed is not constant, given gravitional acceleration. Be it for a small or a big rock. No dense aerodynamical and round body like a human body will keep a constant speed for no time unless, as I said and was overlooked, he's wearing something.

The viscosity of a fluid like "the gaseous thing called Air" (as another funny one said) is not enough to cause relevant friction in a thing round, smooth and dense, like a human naked body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Cranium- View Post
You're inadvertently correct - air is "barely neglectable" and must be taken into account during a fall so close to the ground! The fall will take at least 17s, and as hinted, the speed on impact will be ~190kph.

And there's nothing routine about a new 'window' up there!

Edit: Beat me to it Jarott :-)
Nope. Wearing no clothes, the speed impact will be at least 250km/h for sure. A naked human body has a low drag coefficient which can even be changed by its dynamic shape (by will alone).

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew.magoo View Post
i agree, no need for the cynicism. be it 15 seconds or 17 seconds, 190kph or 250kph, thats still an extremely long fall at an extremely fast speed. and besides, what would the exact velocity matter to someone falling to their death?

and even though ricardo might have been slightly off, he did bring up the subject, giving us something interesting to talk about while we all wait.
Exactly that's the spirit! I did only want to bring a nice off-topic with no other point than "man, this would be such a fall that a guy could have some 15 seconds to enjoy the view". Thank you.
Ricardo Jorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #14090
Mithat
Just a user

if the only point is that spirit, stop spamming and insisting on your wrong numbers and theories... There is enough friction between air and the body if you have a speed more than 200 km/h, (even more friction if you have clothes on) and gravity will not accelerate the body anymore, the speed will remain constant. This will not change because you think something else.
Mithat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #14091
-Cranium-
Atomic weight:2 -> 4 -> 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Jorge View Post

You google. I study.
Might want to give those texts from the pre-Galilean era a miss, Ricardo! (Hey, if you can make assumptions re source material, so can I!) All disagreement aside tho', I for one welcome the debate your original off-topic post has generated.
-Cranium- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #14092
Dubai Spacescraper

Likes (Received): 1

BrotherBillinDubai: he makes a lot of good videos, this from today.

Dubai Spacescraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:59 PM   #14093
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

amazing vid mate

0:24:

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 12:42 AM   #14094
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

This looks very epic now with the spire. Despite it being really thin it adds a lot to the design I think.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 12:56 AM   #14095
Jarott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Jorge View Post
1: You google. I study. Yet I'm going to lose a little more time just to prove that you just opted for trying to make a little fun just because you were in the mood to ridicularize someone. It's typically human, unfortunately.

2: Eventhough, if, in your effort to be "I kick @$$" you had read the article a little more, you'd have stumbled upon this:

Higher speeds can be attained if the skydiver pulls in his limbs (see also freeflying). In this case, the terminal velocity increases to about 320 km/h (200 mph or 90 m/s)

3: A sky diver never dives naked, so as I said, a simple t-shirt would change numbers. A sky diver is not a naked human body.

4: Speed is not constant, given gravitional acceleration. Be it for a small or a big rock. No dense aerodynamical and round body like a human body will keep a constant speed for no time unless, as I said and was overlooked, he's wearing something.

5: Nope. Wearing no clothes, the speed impact will be at least 250km/h for sure. A naked human body has a low drag coefficient which can even be changed by its dynamic shape (by will alone).
Ad. 1: i'm in a mood to ridiculize someone all the time, nothing new mate =]

Ad. 2: if you actually read what YOU quoted you see that i did happen to stumble upon it, and i did say it: "Originally Posted by Jarott
as a matter of fact, a maximum speed a sky diver can achieve is about 200 miles an hour. falling in a usual way its about 120."

Ad 3: it may have been, that my eyes were dimmed, but not for a second did i think we were talking about naked human bodies falling in the most aerodynamical positions. your words stated "enjoy the view" <- that doesn't quite sound like "world record beating in speed-killing yourself with a burj dubai". don't add facts that were not there from the begining.

Ad 4: you said you were learning? couse you sound like you fail to be learning (that's the ridiculizing again, my bad, sorry). the faster you go, the bigger is the force that stops you. so, unless you are in a vacuume where there is no force to stop you, there is a terminal speed (refer to wikipedia if you wish, or any other of the hundreds of sites that talk about speeds in skydiving). and to an object like a human body that speed is about 120 miles an hour (up to maybe even a bit more than 200mph when going in the most aerodynamic position). for real don't argue with the facts, you can't win. that's why they are called facts.

Ad. 5: 250 km/h is about 155 mph, so it well in the limit that we mentioned, thank you for prooving us right. but as you try to use that as an argument, let me mention your own words "PS: Impact speed would be around 450km/h (280miles/h)... Geez!" 155 is a bit less than 280, i think we can both agree on that. besides you say that human body has a low drag coefficient? again, make someone drive you arund 200 mph, and stick your head out the window. so that you can feel what low means in that case.

so as we came to the same point, that only speeds well under 200mph is doable (going the max you would probably hit some lower roofs of the building, so you have to go a bit sideways, so slower thatn 200 mph like the guys that actually did basejump the burj), i think we can go back on topic =]

and from my point - this time for real - sorry for the ridiculizing tone, thats just kind of my style ;P i like to have a good laugh, and feel free to laugh back at me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai Spacescraper View Post
BrotherBillinDubai: he makes a lot of good videos, this from today.
the videos may be good, but he speaks a lot of major bull... i hope that this is spoken as a joke like the part that the spire is telescopic so that they can go a few meters higher if some other building was just a bit taller had a good laugh thou =]
Jarott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 01:09 AM   #14096
drew.magoo

Likes (Received): 17

hey, can we get some more info on what was installed at the top?
might it be the handrail???
drew.magoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #14097
the Monkey's Uncle

Uhh, why are we we talking about the falling velocity of humans anyway???

The tower looks amazing, but the spire looks like you could stick it through the head of a pin, from the ground. :P
the Monkey's Uncle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 01:46 AM   #14098
Ricardo Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithat View Post
if the only point is that spirit, stop spamming and insisting on your wrong numbers and theories...
Funny statement. While you arrogantly call me spammer, which is an accusation of low character, you diguise it appealing to the said "spirit".

Quote:
Ad. 1: i'm in a mood to ridiculize someone all the time, nothing new mate =]

and from my point - this time for real - sorry for the ridiculizing tone, thats just kind of my style ;P i like to have a good laugh, and feel free to laugh back at me
This is what happens when a forum is missing some rules...
Old January 10th, 2009, 01:53 AM   #14099
Ricardo Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Monkey's Uncle View Post
Uhh, why are we we talking about the falling velocity of humans anyway???
Beats me...

Quote:
The tower looks amazing, but the spire looks like you could stick it through the head of a pin, from the ground. :P
I wonder how many years it will endure as the record on height. But seems it will be for a long time... Money to build such a similar thing is not quite available these days...
Old January 10th, 2009, 02:28 AM   #14100
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
... the spire looks like you could stick it through the head of a pin, from the ground. :P
True ... if your arms would be 816.5 meters long, that is.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae