daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 10th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #14121
Toetallix
The Manchester Invasion

Likes (Received): 2129

Would be interesting to view more familiar old super talls around it to see just how small they look compared to this! The tallest free standing structure where I am is only 330m, which here looks massive, but there, would be nothing speciel even next to the average building in Dubai lol.
Toetallix no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #14122
Guaporense

Likes (Received): 28

The Burj Dubai doesn't look as impressive as its official heigh. It is because the building has the shape of a thin stick, with gets thinner and thinner in a exponential way. The ESB transmits mass through its structure. If somebody made an 800 meter tall ESB it would look much more impressive than the Burj Dubai, it also would have about 3 times the floor area of the Burj Dubai. Of course, the burj dubai is the most impressive building in the world, and will have the largest floor area, about 50% more than the Sears.
Guaporense no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 06:02 PM   #14123
EMPIREOFLIGHTS
FINISH THE CHICAGO SPIRE

Likes (Received): 2

a vision

Can you imagine supertalls around the Burj as tall as the Empire State?? It boggles the mind. Shows how far we've come.
EMPIREOFLIGHTS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #14124
novancn

Likes (Received): 0

wow............................
awesome
novancn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #14125
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaporense View Post
The Burj Dubai doesn't look as impressive as its official heigh. It is because the building has the shape of a thin stick, with gets thinner and thinner in a exponential way. The ESB transmits mass through its structure. If somebody made an 800 meter tall ESB it would look much more impressive than the Burj Dubai, it also would have about 3 times the floor area of the Burj Dubai. Of course, the burj dubai is the most impressive building in the world, and will have the largest floor area, about 50% more than the Sears.
What your saying is correct, only thing is; Abraj Al-Bait in Mecca is going to have the largest floor area of any Tower in the world.
CrazyDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #14126
Hightech Pro

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
What your saying is correct, only thing is; Abraj Al-Bait in Mecca is going to have the largest floor area of any Tower in the world.
But you must admit that the Abraj Al Bait is more like a complex of towers and not a single tower.
Hightech Pro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #14127
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaporense View Post
Of course, the burj dubai is the most impressive building in the world, and will have the largest floor area, about 50% more than the Sears.
Actually, Burj Dubai have a smaller floor area than Sears

Burj Dubai:
Floor area: 334,000 m˛

Sears Tower:
Floor area: 418,064 m˛

so 20% is less than Sears...
luci203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #14128
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightech Pro View Post
But you must admit that the Abraj Al Bait is more like a complex of towers and not a single tower.
Fair enough
CrazyDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #14129
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by 234sale View Post
[IMG]http://i39.************/2m2umxc.jpg[/IMG]

The place still looks like a swimming pool.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #14130
London21

Likes (Received): 42

there's no water in it though
London21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #14131
ReiAyanami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 66

Actually the latest post are quite interesting. Lets see:

Shanghai World Financial Center: 377,300 sq m
Sears Tower: 418,064 sq m
Taipei 101: 412,500 sq m
Guangzhou International Finance Center: 448,000 sq m
World Trade Center : 800,000 sq m (1&2)
Burj Dubai : 334,000 sq m

Also:

Many say that Burj dubai is the masterpiece of modern time, the best building etc etc. I actually agree, its amazing. But, I can't help but think what excacly is that makes it engeneering miracle. I actually believe that Sear Tower or better Shanghai World Financial center, WTC, Taipei, are by far greater construction feats. I mean if you look at the cross sections, at 450m, in the later, you can play soccer on the floor plate, yet at that height Burj has less floor space than my house.

Just think along for a minute, isn't Shanghai World financial Center a taller building than Taipei, yes or not? I mean all those criteria about top floor, architectual top, roof top, spire top, they aren't objective enough, I believe that the notion Tallest Building in the world is getting old. We should just let the building's design speak for it self.
ReiAyanami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #14132
Ricardo Jorge

Likes (Received): 6

Unfortunately I have to answer this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithat View Post
It is acceptable if you are excited about the idea of how fast someone would fall and share it with us, that's totally OK, this is the spirit...
The soft speech you use before starting to flame is interesting.

Quote:
But it is not acceptable when you keep arguing off topic, filling the screens of all forumers with very long off topic, misleading, inaccurate rubbish.
You lack manners, insisting in low-character accusations.

It is you who brought back this (again) and it is you the one who keeps poisoning the thread, breaking codes of honour within respect to somebody else. My explanations ended pages ago.

Quote:
Information is very easily accessible these days, it takes just seconds to find out that the free fall speed for humans in normal conditions is 120 mph.
The debate has ended, didn't you notice?

Quote:
We don't want to read your baseless theories here.
You keep using "We" but you are NOT entitled to speak on behalf of noone.

Quote:
If you don't know what you are talking about, you could have said: "wow, I wonder how fast you will hit the ground" or "it might take around 15 sec." instead of writing misleading formulas here, then no one would react like this. Ok everyone can make mistakes, at least accept you have forgotten to take air resistance into account and don't argue so long here just to prove yourself right, you are not.
I repeat: my explanations ended pages ago. People are smart to think for themselves, whether my "inaccurate rubbish" is wrong or right. You are not entitled to nothing.

You are the one who keeps bringing this back, disrupting the thread.

If you want to keep bringing this back, stop the public provocations and direct them by PM.
Ricardo Jorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #14133
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiAyanami View Post

Never thought that AoN Center (Chicago) at 346m have a floor area of 334,448 m˛
luci203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #14134
Hightech Pro

Likes (Received): 21

Wow, the floor areas are very interesting, are there any reliable sources or complete lists about them?
Hightech Pro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #14135
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240837

Quote:
Originally Posted by 234sale View Post
[IMG]http://i39.************/2m2umxc.jpg[/IMG]
With water will be better
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #14136
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Now you guys are just talking non-sense
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #14137
Land Man

Likes (Received): 0

Floor Plate Comparisons - A Reality Check

What needs to be appreciated about the BurJ Dubai vs. those other supertalls is that its inherent design puts more occupants along the curtain walls with a window access so that more people have those amazing views throughout most floors of the structure.

For many working inside Sears Tower and the other 'form follows function' giant rectangular boxes - when they are in their office spaces, usually cubicles under flourescent lights, they might as well be working in a single story building or even underground.

I've been way up inside the working spaces of many of the mombo skyscrapers in Chicago, like the John Hancock Building, and except for the managers and other higher graded employees most of the worker bees don't have any view at all or see much of an aesthetic benefit from taking that long elevator ride each morning.

In many ways the Burg Dubai is just a brilliant design.

My $0.02 worth this am.
Land Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #14138
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiAyanami View Post

Many say that Burj dubai is the masterpiece of modern time, the best building etc etc. I actually agree, its amazing. But, I can't help but think what excacly is that makes it engeneering miracle. I actually believe that Sear Tower or better Shanghai World Financial center, WTC, Taipei, are by far greater construction feats. I mean if you look at the cross sections, at 450m, in the later, you can play soccer on the floor plate, yet at that height Burj has less floor space than my house.

Just think along for a minute, isn't Shanghai World financial Center a taller building than Taipei, yes or not? I mean all those criteria about top floor, architectual top, roof top, spire top, they aren't objective enough, I believe that the notion Tallest Building in the world is getting old. We should just let the building's design speak for it self.
what you have to remember is that the burj dubai main function is not office like SWFC, sears tower, wtc, etc. it's main function is residential and hotel. in the WTB records there's never been a Mixed use "tallest building". so where use to huge office and commercial buildings with huge floor space. also if the burj dubai was going to be used mostly for office the design would be totally different. the burj dubai has many tier's as u can see. which obviously reduces floor space which is another reason why there's not as much floor area. the design concept they came up with is very effective against vortices and other windloads. while they were doing wind studies on the buj dubai in the wind tunnels they discovered that if they could increase the steel setion higher, the vortices decreased dramatically. which also was good news to Adrian Smith because he felt that the top did not fit well with the rest of the building. also what you fail to realize is the burj dubai is doing something thats never been done before in the History of WTB's. if you look at the records. every time a title was broken it was only taken under 300ft. i just compared the sears tower to T101. sears was built in 73. T101 was in 04. that was only a height increase by 220ft. then all of the sudden here comes the burj dubai doing something thats never been done before and beat all of the records by not a 100ft taller not 300ft taller but OVER 1,000ft!!! OR over 300m. which has never been done before. and not only that it beats any structure, tallest freestanding structure and any structure in the HISTORY OF ManKind

like Fury's signature say's....
Burj Dubai - The Greatest Structure of our Time !!

Last edited by helghast; January 10th, 2009 at 09:00 PM.
helghast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #14139
ReiAyanami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 66

I don't care in the least about the intented function of a building, when I compare with what I see. As far as height increase is conserned, its the most objective comparison you can make. As far as I know, Taipei is 200ft taller than Sears, yet it has lower top floor and roof, yet WTC in Shanghai is heigher in both. I have made models of most famous skyscrapers, and I as far as I can see the disrepances are huge. What I pointed out is what everyone hate to admit, and this counts me too: The Burj is the tallest but its not very big, and its actual volume to height ratio is ludicrously small. Residential or not, it puts far less mass in the air than many other supertalls.

Please don't start the hate coments for this observation, I was just reading about measuring standarts and I got over-phislosophical, maybe I should have kept those thoughts to myself.
ReiAyanami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #14140
drew.magoo

Likes (Received): 17

i agree with both helghast and reiayanami in that, while its unfortunate that the floorspace is lower than most other WTBs in the past half century, the window to capacity ratio is much higher. so i kind of like the design as far as area and amount of windows go. now the nakheel harbour tower, on the other hand, is a totally different story. im curious as to how they will pull that off.

as for your thoughts, Rei, on the measurement controversies, i think most people on SSC including myself would actually agree with you that its retarded. thats why the burj is so great, it beats everyone at everything!

thanks for the diagrams, i hadnt noticed the differences in area before

Last edited by drew.magoo; January 10th, 2009 at 09:58 PM.
drew.magoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae