daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 21st, 2009, 12:37 AM   #15001
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezzybaby View Post
Yet climbing the Sears Tower, Petronas Towers, Jin Mao etc. etc. etc. etc. would not damage any reputations? Look up the name Alain Robert, he will climb this tower, it's just a matter of time.
totally agree, that man will without a doubt climb BD because this tower has been his ultimate thing since it was planned but he could also fall and break his arm.

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2009, 12:43 AM   #15002
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

The BD is now officially number one in the Emporis Worlds tallest list...
Old January 21st, 2009, 12:54 AM   #15003
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
totally agree, that man will without a doubt climb BD because this tower has been his ultimate thing since it was planned but he could also fall and break his arm.
LOL! break his arm? Probably break everything including his life. Well, the building could really be used as a power plant. Lightning really has a good source of energy and its a cleaned one. Well, we just got ourselves a new way to get energy.
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 01:07 AM   #15004
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

yes break his arm... you think he wont break his arm by falling from the TALLEST DAMN THING in the world??? LOL

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
Old January 21st, 2009, 01:22 AM   #15005
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

lol he mentioned that he thinks that he will break more than just his arm, but hey back to topic this thread is not about a possible climb up of this tower by a french guy or the silly idea making the tower to a power lightning plant.....LOL!
Old January 21st, 2009, 01:40 AM   #15006
SilentStrike

Likes (Received): 192

i think buildmile got that... lol

and nezzybaby, i hadnt heard of alain robert before, thnx
SilentStrike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 01:53 AM   #15007
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2854

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
yes break his arm... you think he wont break his arm by falling from the TALLEST DAMN THING in the world??? LOL
If he falls from anywhere above about the fourth floor he will almost certainly die, breaking his arm is pretty much the least of his worries. The point is it doesn't make any difference if you fall from 100m or 800m, it's gonna be pretty terminal.
Old January 21st, 2009, 05:01 AM   #15008
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
fury, what was reason why tier25 cladding reaches below tier24 steel?
attachment?
also i agree, there is soooo much to watch over next few months. just because its reached full height, doesnt mean its now nothing to see.
all the good things now will happen to summit of structuire.and base.
cant wait until water gets flow into lake.the whole tower will take on a whole new look.escpeially having a nice reflection ect.
anyway
Hi Cul.

The cladding below tier 23 steel is the top half of the small wing and "half wings"/cladding connections for tier 23. They have yet to attach the bottom half. Tier 22 also will have these "half wings" but no small wing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident
Fury, do you have any drawing details on the attachments connected to the spire just below the cladding in first pic?
Hi OTR.

I don't have any detail for that area. If fricken Emaar would have sent that complete set of plans that I requested ......

I do have these though.

I hope this helps clear up the cladding that is below the top of the steel. It is supposed to be there. They will attach the lower ~ 10 meters of it soon. Also the 19.2 meters of tier 22 small "half wings" below that.

All is as it is supposed to be as per the plans guys.

Old January 21st, 2009, 07:04 AM   #15009
ssfan
空中之城

Likes (Received): 17

This is the only really super tall on earth!!
ssfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 07:34 AM   #15010
Birdboy08
Chicago!

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi Birdboy.

Probably to early but if he is aware of the 3 entrances all at different levels does he have any idea if the Concourse level will be included as it's entrance does open to "grade" on that side of the structure ? Also Cul has answered this but doesn't hurt to ask again - will the beacons be included ?

Thanks.

Spoke with him, and only mentioned the official height of the tower. According to him, the aircraft beacons will NOT count towards it's height. He said that anything mechanical (like the antenna's on top of the Sears Tower in Chicago) would not be officially counted towards the height of the structure by CTBUH standards.
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:54 AM   #15011
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10141

IF the beacons where housed in the planned 5ft diamtere ring, they would have been included in official height, as the 1m high steel ring would have been a permanent addition to the pinnacle structure, but alas, this structure isnt going ahead,only the actual 60cm high beacons themselves which are not counted in height. but thats ok, it would be 818.6m which wont change much. so 818m it is or 824m above concourse level.
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:58 AM   #15012
CULWULLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssfan View Post
This is the only really super tall on earth!!
well ive said for past year, it should be in anther category. It is nearly 3 times a supertall.
Yes ,300m should be classifed as a supertall, because it really is an acheivment but its time to create a new category because we have many now being built or planned to be double height of supertall. so maybe 500m or halfkm would be "megatall" cat?
some say 600m , but that would only include a couple.atm 500m would have about 20 i think.
thus the reason why this thread was created>
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=600142
atm theres only 1 megatall being Taipei 101.
Old January 21st, 2009, 10:52 AM   #15013
Mithat
Just a user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequal View Post
The cladding with this building isn't very to climb on. And especially the height would be considered as a serious problem.

Climbing the Taipei 101 took already 4 hours to climb. And then in Dubai 1/3 higher as the Taipei 101, much hotter and difficult cladding...
I am a rock climber and I climbed 4 stories on a building before without any equipment. Burj Dubai is much easier to climb on than Taipei 101. First of all Taipei 101 has a negative pitch all the way up, witch is killing your arms and makes it impossible to have some rest when you need. And the cladding detail of Burj Dubai also makes it easier than Taipei 101. And the climate in Taipei is also not that cool, if 21 C in Dubai winter is not cool enough to climb
Mithat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 11:16 AM   #15014
normal-thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezzybaby View Post
If he falls from anywhere above about the fourth floor he will almost certainly die, breaking his arm is pretty much the least of his worries. The point is it doesn't make any difference if you fall from 100m or 800m, it's gonna be pretty terminal.
You are right, "terminal" is the word. DB is so tall, that you will reach terminal velocity before you hit the ground if you jump off the top (assuming you dont crash into one of the lower wings). Terminal velocity is when you stop accelerating in free fall, due to the resistance of the air you are falling through. This point is reached at around 573 meters (using a normal freefall position), then 235 meters later....SPLAT!

...back on topic...
Old January 21st, 2009, 11:23 AM   #15015
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Thanks to everyone who's given us updates since day one. I wasn't always a member here but I still watched back when they poured the foundation and people were asking if it was just the core or the entire building.

Been a rocking and AMAZING four+ years for sure! Of course still have to watch the fit-out and as others said, the way the water and reflective features will create for stunning photos once it's all done.

I'm already working to make sure I'm in Dubai by the end of this year to visit this landmark achievement. Already got a Canon 5D MKII set to go! Hopefully can add a good 300mm+ L IS USM lens by the time I get there as well.

Thanks to all of you guys who have helped with such amazing photos. So many of my friends have also been shocked and in wonder at such a grand structure - and they most certainly never visit this forum!

When I'm ever able to get to Dubai, it'd be nice to grab lunch or something!

Till then, let's enjoy the completion and continued progress around the tower!
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:48 PM   #15016
Axel_F

Likes (Received): 137

yesterday from *****************
[IMG]http://cdn.******************/photos/15722392.jpg[/IMG]
Axel_F no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 03:03 PM   #15017
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

21/January/2009

Burj Dubai

cladding again

Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 03:08 PM   #15018
CULWULLA

great update imre
Old January 21st, 2009, 03:38 PM   #15019
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

OMG you are the man imre... I was waiting long to see at least one of the 3 concrete sides getting covered and now here it is. And where the external elevator left off.

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
Old January 21st, 2009, 03:53 PM   #15020
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

21/January/2009

Burj Dubai

more pics

Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae