daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2009, 12:52 AM   #15541
AvanGard
HMS

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
my turn to ask a silly question-
what happens if i visit dubai and jump in the burj lake a decide to swim around??
will security jump in a get me?
It be a “blast” if the water hoses toss you in the air when you swim above them.
Although one way to prevent people from swimming in the lake could be to fill it with piranhas or small sharks.

And then place boards showing EATEN SO FAR № on each side of the lake.

AvanGard no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2009, 03:06 AM   #15542
chuckthomas
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

[QUOTE=JacksonSelquick;[/QUOTE]

JacksonSelquick, you have posted some beautiful photos.
Please keep them coming.

exquisite buildings.
Do you have any idea how expensive these buildings are?
chuckthomas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 05:05 AM   #15543
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckthomas View Post
Question 1:
Why were some floors skipped? Has it something to do with local superstitions (like 13 is an unlucky number) or something?

Question 2:
What are these Mezzanines? Are they separate floors named mezzanines? Or, are they different levels within one floor?
How tall is 160-th floor? How tall are these mezzanines?

Question 3:
From the design, it looks like there is not much floor area for any decent offices.
Who would want a tiny closet on the 160-th floor?
Which is the highest floor that has enough space for a reasonable office, in your opinion ?

Question 4:
Can the spire be lowered for maintainance and stuff or is it permanently fixed?
If fixed, how would anyone do any maintenance or repair to it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD
1. I think some numbers were skipped because the floors were double height. Nothing to do with other non-related things

2. Normally Mezzanine are called floors that do not occupy the full floor area and the middle of them is void, looking down to the floor below. However it doesn't seams this is the case in Burj Dubai so i don't know why they are called like that. Probably related to the structure, such the transition from concrete to steel where in a way both structures are mashed together for 2 - 3 levels. The tallest occupied floor is the 158th one at slightly below 580 meters. Above it is another floor in the concrete section that is used as mechanical and then the steel section start, whcih first few levels also are used as mechanicals.

3. There's enough space on the 158th floor for an office of adequate size.

4. No, the spire is fixed. There's a stairway inside the spire going all the way to the top. If something major happen the design might have made provision for it to be lowered to a certain height.
Hi Chuck.

Altin's response was good but here is mine.

1 - The skipped levels are in the MEP levels and have the highest level heights. Not quite double height but close.

2 - The BD's mezzanines are considered seperate level. As Altin said they are only part of the floor area of the level below and they do look down on the floor below in some areas.

3 - The highest level used by tenants is 154 - boutique office mezzanine - in tier 15. Tier 21 - over 100 meters above tier 15 - is still over 800 sq. feet. Sorta an odd shape but still big enough for a good size office. Keep in mind there is no offices above level 154.

4 - The spire will not be able to change its height - it will be welded solid. As Altin said there is a series of ladders right to the top platform on top of the pinnacle. There is a hatch to go out onto the platform to access the beacons.

Here is a link to my plan and methodology. All the level heights, uses, and more.

BD_Plan_and_Methodology.zip (1.4 MB)

Old February 6th, 2009, 05:41 AM   #15544
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
my turn to ask a silly question-
what happens if i visit dubai and jump in the burj lake a decide to swim around??
will security jump in a get me?
I didn't know mods were allowed too ask crazy question, you should banned yourself for taking away from this building
Old February 6th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #15545
leogodoy

Likes (Received): 49

Is there some bug avoiding me from getting to page 778? The page list says there's a page 778, but I can only view til 777.

PS: My post seem to have "fixed" a bug. Sorry everyone.
leogodoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #15546
paul.c.martens

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by leogodoy View Post
Is there some bug avoiding me from getting to page 778? The page list says there's a page 778, but I can only view til 777.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by paul.c.martens; February 6th, 2009 at 06:45 AM.
paul.c.martens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 07:26 AM   #15547
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Towering above us all

Wednesday 4 Feb, 2009

Photographer gives 7DAYS an insight into what it’s like at the top of world’s tallest building 7DAYS is on top of the world today, as we give readers an exclusive look from the pinnacle of Burj Dubai.
Photographer Darren Bell is one of the first people to make it to the summit of the world’s tallest building.
His photograph shows the incredible view from the top.
“It had just rained when I took this photo and we could see Sharjah and Ajman and even further still. It was really, really impressive,” said Bell, who went to the top about ten times to photograph the completion of the tower.
Bell, who was taken to the top by construction company Arabtec, is the first photographer to climb the tower after the final section was added in January. He first had to take a training course to learn how to use a safety harness.
“If one of the harnesses break, you are left dangling and they pull you in with a pole that attaches to a locator clip on your back. It’s like been reeled in by a fishing rod,” he said.
Bell then took the building’s lift before connecting to the top by two other external lifts before taking a staircase to the very top.
“It’s a bit scary when yo’re up there, but the safety measures are impressive.
“When you’re on the external staircase, there is nothing bet-ween you and the ground except a thin bit of green gauze but you’re tied in.
“Once you get over the fear, its breathtaking,” he said.
The top of the tower is so high up that workers attach spanners, hammers and other tools to their bodies in case that one of them is dropped.
The fear is one might land on a passer-by below.
“It’s so high up that there’s a drop in temperature of ten degrees Celsius between the bottom and the top. Some days you wear a T-shirt at the bottom and a sweater at the top,” Darren said.
The roof is also designed to sway with the wind, moving 1.5m each way when it’s strong.
“Some days I wouldn’t go up there because the wind was too strong, but on the days I did, it was an absolutely incredible experience,” Bell said.
The tower is expected to be open later this year. However, the final height has not yet been confirmed. It is, though, generally thought that it will be 818m, including the spire at the top, which can be raised telescopically if needed.

http://www.7days.ae/storydetails.php...ve%20us%20all#
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #15548
Land Man

This Is More Like It!

Now THIS is very cool.

An actual first person account and photo by someone who has been to the top of the spire! Wow

Where can we go to see more of his pictures from up there?

VERY refreshing after a lot of the drivel on this board about falling bodies and Cinnabon and other nonsense since top out.

So now this is the first time I'll try to post one of these dancing damn bananas

The Land Man
Land Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #15549
DennisS
Just a student

Likes (Received): 70

Wow wow wow what a great picture!! Thanks Imre for finding that! Not a bit jealous maybe?

Also the text is interesting, about all safety measures at such a height.
DennisS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:58 AM   #15550
whoami

Likes (Received): 8

WTF is this pop up for?

[IMG]http://i42.************/1z1xlqe.jpg[/IMG]
whoami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #15551
Mithat
Just a user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Man View Post
Where can we go to see more of his pictures from up there?
That picture is not taken from the pinnacle. I don't understand, why do they write an article about a photographer taking pictures from the top of the building, and not post the pictures at all?
Mithat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #15552
BlackSmith!
Peace sells...

Likes (Received): 6

Hi guys, I find some closeups from the top

Spire cladding looks like it is from alluminum panels with holes and not glass.
BlackSmith! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #15553
Mithat
Just a user

I still think they are glass, aluminum panels can not be that glossy and change color with different weather conditions and camera angles
Mithat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #15554
DennisS
Just a student

Likes (Received): 70

Thanks for that!!!! Finally some details in reality!

Difficult to say it is glass or aluminium, but the construction behind it is massive, looks really strong which is also needed at such height. By the way, on the second pic the cables can be seen that were used for jacking.

DennisS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #15555
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoami View Post
WTF is this pop up for?

idk but im getting it to.
dachacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #15556
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10124

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
I didn't know mods were allowed too ask crazy question, you should banned yourself for taking away from this building
well not really a crazy question. i was giving an example of a security perspective of the burj dubai lake. im sure someone in dubai could swim around it.
anyway
ReiAyanami-im in a group of swimming club here in australia. once you reach 100km officially. you get a tshirt stating youve swum 1million millimetres which is 1000km. sorry to go off topic.
cheers
great spire photos by the way
Old February 6th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #15557
Skymyhusband
French dwarf

Likes (Received): 60

One BILLION millimeters
Skymyhusband no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #15558
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoami View Post
WTF is this pop up for?

The same window pops up on pages 776 and 777. It's totally annoying. We might need to complain to an administrator.
Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #15559
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Its becouse of pics posted by JacksonSelquick. Its seems they are on restricted area, so to display them on ssc you have to type username and password. Kinda not clever to post pics from restricted place...
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #15560
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

sky its not a billion ,its a million millimeters, sorry to go of topic ,the fountian looks very powerful and impressive .
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae