daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 27th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #1541
TheGlobalizer

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliamo View Post
I must admit that this is a huge tower and big development, but honestly I don't see the significance of this tower or any tower in Dubai. The city is basically a desert that wants attention, so it uses oil money to build large towers that, in my opinion, will basically be fairly empty most of the time. Burj Dubai doesn't show economic growth the way some towers such as WFC in Shanghai or Freedom Tower in New York. I just don't get why people are so hyped about a really tall piece of glass which has, really, no meaning.
You'll understand the significance when Dubai shows the value of economic diversification.

The economic model in the Middle East is almost the reverse of that of Asia; it makes sense that the course of development would be reversed as well.
TheGlobalizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2007, 02:15 AM   #1542
vinouz

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjern View Post
Very good job indeed ! I know how hard it is to assemble this timelapse . I guess you can also credit the source of your regular photos. Aren't these (the timelapse ones) from Imre ?
vinouz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 02:35 AM   #1543
Aloy Concept

Likes (Received): 1443

Excelent construction, its impresionant this building...
Aloy Concept no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:25 AM   #1544
Cyman

Likes (Received): 8

It would be cool to have the video without the still images of the building, workers etc. and the information - just the plain timelapse images. Anyway this is great to watch, I wonder if the images come from an actual webcam, looks like a professionally installed fixed camera.
Cyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 07:13 AM   #1545
googlepeakoil

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post

[IMG]http://i1.************/7xso3e9.jpg[/IMG]
Wow, you can see how few floors hold up the crane. It's only held by about 3 floors!
Also you can see how now the crane is out of the lift core and on real floors that they have to fill the concrete floor in after the crane has been jacked up!
May I also add the workers have big balls to be working on that scaffolding on the edge of that concrete making those little triangles that stick out of the core!! Dam!
Not to start a flamewar again... but ... if those guys are making $100 a month they have every right to protest! You couldn't pay me to walk out on that scaffolding, balanced on that tiny triangle, sitting on 3 day old concrete 550m / 150+ stories up! Holy [email protected]
I only hope that being the most prestigious building in Dubai that they are getting better wages than some of the figures we hear mentioned.

Last edited by googlepeakoil; November 27th, 2007 at 07:21 AM.
googlepeakoil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #1546
sesshoumaru
----------

Likes (Received): 16

i thought it would be fitting

Old November 27th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #1547
michal.09

i love the security at the site
BD has literally tourists right on the site?

then you look at somthing like freedom tower, its so restricted and guarded.

but then again, only pictures go so far.
michal.09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 08:11 AM   #1548
idkblk
-InQontrol-

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlepeakoil View Post
Wow, you can see how few floors hold up the crane. It's only held by about 3 floors!
Also you can see how now the crane is out of the lift core and on real floors that they have to fill the concrete floor in after the crane has been jacked up!
May I also add the workers have big balls to be working on that scaffolding on the edge of that concrete making those little triangles that stick out of the core!! Dam!
Not to start a flamewar again... but ... if those guys are making $100 a month they have every right to protest! You couldn't pay me to walk out on that scaffolding, balanced on that tiny triangle, sitting on 3 day old concrete 550m / 150+ stories up! Holy [email protected]
I only hope that being the most prestigious building in Dubai that they are getting better wages than some of the figures we hear mentioned.

This has been the case for WEEKS now. Browse some old fotos. There are even some where you can see the floors with the hole several floors under the towercrane.

PS: This triangles are curious for me too. I wonder how much weight you can put on them before they fall off the core. It really looks so tiny... and i cant see how its really ankered to the core.
idkblk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #1549
djamel05

This morning, I have seen this morning the crane jacked up as shown in fury steel render. However two levels down. Does that mean that it will be used as the steel crane? I am talking about the crane facing Dubai mall.
djamel05 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #1550
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

What you have seen is propably the crane that was there since the beginning. I didn't noticed anything new today (passed by after you have posted that).
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #1551
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by michal.09 View Post
i love the security at the site
BD has literally tourists right on the site?

then you look at somthing like freedom tower, its so restricted and guarded.

but then again, only pictures go so far.
There are no tourists on site. You can't go nearer to Burj Dubai then you can to Freedm Tower.

All the pictures are taken outside the site perimeter and often from a distance of up to 1 mile (using x12 Optical zoom)
I can cheat you blind.

Old November 27th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #1552
djenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlepeakoil View Post
I bet that the crane is attached to and supported by the interior walls. Those floors won't be able to withstand the forces, the holes are made just to give room to the crane mast.
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #1553
djamel05

Quote:
What you have seen is propably the crane that was there since the beginning. I didn't noticed anything new today (passed by after you have posted that).

Yes it is the old crane with its base now at the level shown by the black line. I just checked it again from Morooj Rotana side.
djamel05 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #1554
Prince Victor
••• Yo ♥ Rep Dom •••

Likes (Received): 14

Wow! all pictures are really so awesome and amazing!

██████████████_ ██████████████
Provincias Unidas de Dominicana
██████████████_ ██████████████
Prince Victor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #1555
Tharpe

im friends with the guy in the middle with the yellow hat, between the 2 guys leaning on the railings

just abit of info lol.
Old November 27th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #1556
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh630 View Post
After understanding how the steel structure will be attached, I've managed to create a clear representation relating the photo taken by AltinD with the rendering supplied by Fury.

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:20 PM   #1557
robert44444uk
Dhaka, Bangladesh

Quote:
There are no tourists on site. You can't go nearer to Burj Dubai then you can to Freedm Tower.

All the pictures are taken outside the site perimeter and often from a distance of up to 1 mile (using x12 Optical zoom)
After two years lurking on this site I finally signed up to make my maiden post! I want to thank everyone for their contributions, it has kept me amused, informed and fascinated.

I have been fortunate to visit this site three times in the last 15 months, and this is a truly impressive construction. It is possible as a tourist to take photos just outside the gate, and there I would estimate you are within 100 metres of the core. Any closer and you cannot appreciate the bulk and height.

The best view of this tower I reckon is from SZR, heading East, just before the junction off to the site. The impact of the other skyscrapers, and this one is awesome. There is a sense similar to standing close to very high cliffs, buildings just soar away, all around. And BD looks impossibly high now.

Two things surprised me last time I visited (maybe 6 weeks ago). Just how dusty and dirty everything looked, it really needs a good clean. But that is offset by the brilliance of the reflected sunlight off the panels. The building seems like a gemstone.

I thought I read a while back that there was a long gap between the completion of the concrete and the rising of the steel. Seem to remember it was a good number of months rather than weeks.
robert44444uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #1558
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert44444uk View Post
After two years lurking on this site I finally signed up to make my maiden post! I want to thank everyone for their contributions, it has kept me amused, informed and fascinated.

I have been fortunate to visit this site three times in the last 15 months, and this is a truly impressive construction. It is possible as a tourist to take photos just outside the gate, and there I would estimate you are within 100 metres of the core. Any closer and you cannot appreciate the bulk and height.

The best view of this tower I reckon is from SZR, heading East, just before the junction off to the site. The impact of the other skyscrapers, and this one is awesome. There is a sense similar to standing close to very high cliffs, buildings just soar away, all around. And BD looks impossibly high now.

Two things surprised me last time I visited (maybe 6 weeks ago). Just how dusty and dirty everything looked, it really needs a good clean. But that is offset by the brilliance of the reflected sunlight off the panels. The building seems like a gemstone.

I thought I read a while back that there was a long gap between the completion of the concrete and the rising of the steel. Seem to remember it was a good number of months rather than weeks.
I quoted the 6 month wait for the installation of metal bracing on the roof of the 155th floor. However, considering that the 155 Mezzanine floor is mechanical one, that might very well be just for the installation of the machineries and probably not related to the steel structure at all.

True you can get as close as 100 meters from the building, but you can get as close to the WTC in NYC as well, and that was the point. As for the dust and dirt, it's normal that it will be, like any other construction site.

And BTW welcome to the forum.
I can cheat you blind.

Old November 27th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #1559
Pe1

donno if it is old...

btw..

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/942572...is_burj_dubai/
Pe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #1560
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6528

"Burz Dubai"
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae