daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 7th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #15581
Johannes867

Likes (Received): 15

tonight there was a docu on german TV (focus TV, Prosieben) about the current situation in Dubai and other Emirates. They talked about many projects which are on hold, due to the financial crisis.
They also visited BD, and there was an interview with an offical an he said (standing on 611m) beneath the spire, that the height is still a secret. One scene later the narrator said, that on Jan. 18th BD topped out at 818m.
So I think this was one of the first broadcasts who reported the "topping out".
....something we all know already ;-)

short excerpt
http://www.focus.de/focustv/focustv/..._vid_9073.html

Johannes
Bavaria - Germany
Johannes867 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2009, 01:49 AM   #15582
TowerJunkie

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/the-worlds-tallest-cities.html
Today, Dubai is home to the world's tallest tower. The 2,684-foot Burj Dubai was topped off in January of this year. The building is scheduled to open in the fall of 2009. It will be the world's tallest building by 1,000 feet. The second-tallest building, Taipei 101 in Taiwan, is a comparatively modest 1,671 feet.
IT IS. I guess YAHOO didn't get the memo.
TowerJunkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 02:06 AM   #15583
chuckthomas
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
Towering above us all

Photographer gives 7DAYS an insight into what it’s like at the top of world’s tallest building 7DAYS is on top of the world today, as we give readers an exclusive look from the pinnacle of Burj Dubai.
Photographer Darren Bell is one of the first people to make it to the summit of the world’s tallest building.

Imre,
you should have been up there, instead of Darren.
You are the greatest photographer of Dubai.
I hope the Arabtec company realise that you are the greatest fan of BD and give you the job of photographing from the top.
chuckthomas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 03:59 AM   #15584
Jarott

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
my turn to ask a silly question-
what happens if i visit dubai and jump in the burj lake a decide to swim around??
will security jump in a get me?

oh, they will make you swim till the nearest lightning storm, and then they will put the burj's grounding into the lake...
Jarott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #15585
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSmith! View Post
Hi guys, I find some closeups from the top

Spire cladding looks like it is from alluminum panels with holes and not glass.
Great find Black ! Where to begin .......

1 - The small wings are perforated stainless over single laminated glass. That was always the plan - source for this info is the first spire erection plan we got a couple of years ago.

2 - In the top pic the bottom 3 cladding sections are the top 9.6 meters (of 19.2m.) of tier 23. One of the "half wings" that will connect the cladding of the small wing (which is on the left in the shot) and the larger wing (which is the steelwork on the right in the shot) can be seen in the middle of the shot.

The next 3 sections above that are tier 24 - if we look close we can see the half wings turn into one of the three wings of tier 24 as the one larger wing of tier 23 ends. The vertical cladding fin can be seen that is at the point of the wing starting above tier 23 larger wing.

3 -
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckthomas
The cables are most likely stabilizing wires and therfore permanent part of the structure.
The cables that can be seen in the bottom shot ARE the cables used in the jacking proceedure. Dennis knows his shit chuck. Once all the connections to the steelwork are done the cables will no longer be needed and will be removed. There is 3 sets of those cables used to jack the 550 ton upper spire/pinnacle (the weight figure is some of the info that Dennis got for us).

4 - The ladder on the outside of the pinnacle pipe is a bit of a surprise to me. There is a series of ladders inside the pinnacle pipe with a hatch to get onto the terrace at the top of each wing. Not sure why they would have to get up inside the small wings but I guess for inspection purposes ?

On another note :
Great article Imre.

I wonder if buddy actually climbed the series of ladders to the top of the pinnacle ? The pic clearly is not from there although it appears to be high up in the steelwork.

What is with these journalists confusion over the fact the upper spire/pinnacle was jacked into position and the falacy that it will be telescopic when completed ?!?

Old February 7th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #15586
Land Man

Is That Really Sand on those Beams?

Fury...
As always a very detailed expert analysis of those very cool high altitude shots. Thanks!

It is interesting to note in the second picture, that shows the jacking cable, that the steel connecting plates and bolts at the beam joints on the right side of the frame have not been painted yet while the same ones on the left side of that shot have.

I also am seeing what looks like a redish-brown sand on the bottom surfaces of the horizontal gray I-beams on both sides of that photo...one is in shadow.

Could that actually be sand and dirt that was carried all the way up there on those beams from grade level whey they erected that part of the structure?

Do we think that it was blown in WAY up there in a Dubai dust storm? (As an Arizona desert rat that has experienced heavy duty sandstorms that is not impossible).

Could that be some sort of loose construction debris from some activity going on higher up?

If it is sand that seems odd considering the high degree of life/safety we hear they have on that construction site since very sandy horizontal surfaces like that would be a definate slip, trip and fall hazard.

The Land Man
Land Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #15587
whoami

Likes (Received): 8

There is a ladder attached to the tube in even in the old plans

[IMG]http://i39.************/2ufr9nd.jpg[/IMG]
whoami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #15588
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6533

Yesterday i Saw a documentary about the burj dubai, quite recent pics. they even knew that the tower reached 818m on January 17th....wonder where they got the information from ........

Last edited by ZZ-II; February 7th, 2009 at 01:50 PM. Reason: wrong date..17th not 18th
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #15589
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 241088

Probably from here

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoami View Post
Thanks for the plan whoami...
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #15590
whoami

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
Yesterday i Saw a documentary about the burj dubai, quite recent pics. they even knew that the tower reached 818m on January 18th....wonder where they got the information from ........
i was misinformed then. it was scheduled on the 15th. maybe there wass a hitch. (or they like the number 8.)
whoami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #15591
Hightech Pro

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
Yesterday i Saw a documentary about the burj dubai, quite recent pics. they even knew that the tower reached 818m on January 17th....wonder where they got the information from ........
I saw that too!!! It is very nice to see such documentations where much effort has been put into the correctness of the information.

One scene was very impressing, they got a look at the spire which was already hidden inside the building before the whole jacking process. There was a spire entrance with a floor-160-sign right next to it on a concrete floor.

Would have been so great to get these information earlier...
Hightech Pro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #15592
Dequal
Architect

Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightech Pro View Post
I saw that too!!! It is very nice to see such documentations where much effort has been put into the correctness of the information.

One scene was very impressing, they got a look at the spire which was already hidden inside the building before the whole jacking process. There was a spire entrance with a floor-160-sign right next to it on a concrete floor.

Would have been so great to get these information earlier...
Do you know how that documentary was named? Maybe it's already available on YouTube.
Old February 7th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #15593
chuckthomas
BANNED

Documenting the Construction..

The whole construction process should have been filmed and documented. if they have not done that they are the biggest fools.
Because this is once in history event and this will never be repeated.
If they were wise enough to document it , I would like to see the movie or documentary.
Wow. That would win the Oscar.
Come to think of it, our own Imre might have a movie plan up his sleeves.
chuckthomas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #15594
Montelly

Dubai Real Estate Crash !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk9Sbpnkd-4
Montelly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #15595
Hightech Pro

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequal View Post
Do you know how that documentary was named? Maybe it's already available on YouTube.
I think it was a part of Focus-TV. But i could not find it on youtube.
Hightech Pro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #15596
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

07/February/2009

Burj Dubai

filling the lake stopped, cladding no progress but good news that road works of the Burj Dubai Boulevard has begun

250 new pics of Burj Dubai,Burj Dubai Fountain, Downtown Burj Dubai , The Dubai Mall here:
www.imredubai.com (flickr)

and here :

http://picasaweb.google.com/imresolt...7February2009#

any reposts are welcome.
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #15597
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post

4 - The ladder on the outside of the pinnacle pipe is a bit of a surprise to me. There is a series of ladders inside the pinnacle pipe with a hatch to get onto the terrace at the top of each wing. Not sure why they would have to get up inside the small wings but I guess for inspection purposes ?
I wonder if there will be lights inside of these wings? If so, then the ladder would be needed for changing the bulbs. It would be cool to have the wings internally illuminated at night (or at least during special occasions).

Did anyone notice the two guide rollers (in the picture with the steel jacking cables)? Will the rollers be left in place, removed, or replaced with bracing? My guess is they will be removed after welded/bolted braces are installed in other locations.

Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #15598
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
I wonder if there will be lights inside of these wings? If so, then the ladder would be needed for changing the bulbs. It would be cool to have the wings internally illuminated at night (or at least during special occasions).

Did anyone notice the two guide rollers (in the picture with the steel jacking cables)? Will the rollers be left in place, removed, or replaced with bracing? My guess is they will be removed after welded/bolted braces are installed in other locations.

Looking at the spire now there are no signs of any light been reflected through the glass and aluminium from the lower levels or crane cabin,and the spire mid section is not visible in the dark, IMO the holes will be used for light node attachments throughout the spire for final illumination.

The bolts that are not painted are on friction grip areas, and will not be painted until final adjustment.
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #15599
Palm-Bangkok
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Palm-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #15600
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoami View Post
Thanks for the print who.

Took me a minute to realize that is an old revision. They changed the tier heights quite a bit between that revision and the current one.

It does show the ladders up the small wings - I saved it - keep 'em coming.

Swiddle - your probably correct that there is lights in the wings.

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae