daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 19th, 2009, 03:27 AM   #15921
VRS

Likes (Received): 11525

the photo its make me feel like superman flying....
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2009, 03:57 AM   #15922
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 297

[IMG]http://i44.************/jrttw3.jpg[/IMG]

What on earth are the round things on the spire cladding in this picture? They look like drums or microwave antennae. I haven't noticed them in any other photos.
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 05:53 AM   #15923
gerald.d

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
The dark blue around the fountain looks HORRIBLE! I hope that something is done to either paint the whole lake an even darker shade of blue to hide the fountain, or paint the fountain the tourquoise color of the rest of the lake.

Seriously, WTF were they thinking?

This is what it looks like from ground level, at night, when operational.

When was the last time you heard anyone whining about that, and being taken seriously?

The lake isn't going to be painted to hide the fountains.

It's two-tone for the reasons already stated (there are no boats on the Bellagio's lake).

VERY few people will have the privilege of seeing the lake from on high. Very few indeed. It is highly unlikely that you will be one of them, so what's with all the moaning?

Stop relying on photos. Go and look at the lake with your own eyes. Then perhaps, you might be in a position to make a valued judgement that people will have a modicum of respect for.

Last edited by gerald.d; February 19th, 2009 at 06:00 AM.
gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 07:38 AM   #15924
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
What on earth are the round things on the spire cladding in this picture? They look like drums or microwave antennae. I haven't noticed them in any other photos.
Hi Swiddle.

I think they are for lighting. Seems wierd they seem to be placed at random though.

Hey Gerald.

Opinions are like *******s - everyone's got one. Disregard the ones that stink more than others. There will always be haters - we know the lake looks good and the fountain will be awesome.

Oh and thanx for the pics you give us - keep up the good work.

Old February 19th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #15925
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Gerald, yer a man after my own heart.

Was down at the lake last night and what a fantastic job.
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 07:42 AM   #15926
DXBQuantum

Location: From - London, Work - Dubai, Ski - Colorado, Fly - New Zealand
Likes (Received): 1

Exactly, until your here and you look at it with your own eyes you cant pass judgment.

It looks amazing, and once everything is finished, it will be the new focal point for the whole of Dubai, all the outside restaurants are opening up with Dubai mall now as well and its starting to look really really great.... I cant wait for news years eve, Im sure it will be amazing down there...

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci
DXBQuantum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 07:42 AM   #15927
Desert Diver
Just add water

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
Stop relying on photos. Go and look at the lake with your own eyes. Then perhaps, you might be in a position to make a valued judgement that people will have a modicum of respect for.
Thanks gerald, thats exactly what I am thinking. Dont want to appear arrogant, but I am soooo annoyed by people spilling their guts over things they just know from pictures. Pics should give an impression, but they never tell the truth! There is so much more to Dubai and Business Bay / Downtown Burj Dubai area in particular than pics could ever show.

I think the whole lake discussion is only due to the term "lake", people seem to have problems with putting this term into perspective.... The thingy is just too large to be considered as a pond and its not meant for swimming so it is neither a pool. Since there are no comparable landscape features anywhere in the world the most exact description would be that it is referred to as a lake.
And why did they not put soil and gravel inside and let the algeae blossom? Well, the largest fountain in the world is installed there and it needs fresh and clean water.

But hey sorry, all this has been mentioned several times before of course. The largest problem seems to be that some people dont read further back than the last three posts and lack of imagination paired with logic

Sorry, but reading the last 5-10 pages made me upset
Desert Diver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 08:28 AM   #15928
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBQuantum View Post
Exactly, until your here and you look at it with your own eyes you cant pass judgment.

It looks amazing, and once everything is finished, it will be the new focal point for the whole of Dubai, all the outside restaurants are opening up with Dubai mall now as well and its starting to look really really great.... I cant wait for news years eve, Im sure it will be amazing down there...
thank you!
as a visitor to vegas, i have seen the fountain at the bellagio hotel first hand, both from the hotel rooms above, and from the street. it will look spectacular. when i first saw the water show it blew me away. i imagine the same will happen when this fountain is turned on.
dachacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #15929
Jack Daniel
Wolf in sheep's clothing

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post

This is what it looks like from ground level, at night, when operational.

When was the last time you heard anyone whining about that, and being taken seriously?

The lake isn't going to be painted to hide the fountains.

It's two-tone for the reasons already stated (there are no boats on the Bellagio's lake).

VERY few people will have the privilege of seeing the lake from on high. Very few indeed. It is highly unlikely that you will be one of them, so what's with all the moaning?

Las Vegas is supposed to look like a theme park. What people are saying is that they want Dubai to look less artificial than places like Macau and Las Vegas.
Yet, in holding scientific research and discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific-technological elite.
Jack Daniel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #15930
Land Man

Likes (Received): 0

It is NOT a lake - let it go

Look - get some perspective folks. This is DUBAI. This is an artificial Disneyland for the rich that is completely artificial and phoney and let's just celebrate that and this insane water feature all around the BD.

The thing is NOT a lake. Even if they made the thing twice as deep it would still look like an artificial concrete waterway and series of canals. I also did a lot of Googling about regarding the Bellagio fountain which I have seen...same deal and it is spectacular. This DOES NOT look like a cheap swimming pool - trust me, I live in Phoenix, Arizona and we've got hundreds of thousands of cheap swimming pools...this aint it!

First off that place is a desert and doing something with so much water is a tad nutzo to begin with..no? I mean if they cut a channel and used sea water that would be something else...but they are using fresh water...do you have any idea how many ga-zillion gallons of water is going to get evaporated off of that puppy every day in the summer?

As far as the two tone bottom that is odd but what it may actually have to do is with the fountain lighting lighting since the 'pond' is so shallow and they darkened it with paint to minimize lighting bounce off the lit water streams hitting the bottom and reflecting back up to be able to isolate the instruments they want on and off based on how they program the water shows. If not there is nothing saying they may go .."Well we tried the 2 tone thing and it didn't work" then they will drain it and repaint one color.

But I agree that the whole thing is designed for the sight lines of being at the edge of the water...not looking down at it from the 135th floor. What I think would be industrial strength annoying would be to be living in one of those condo, townhouse things RIGHT next to the fountain...it would be like living next to the subway after a while...the sound alone.

My $0.02 worth
Land Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #15931
Skymyhusband
French dwarf

Likes (Received): 60

flickr, february 17th by Ro.Bi.

Spire cladding u/c, before lifting up:

image hosted on flickr

Notice the inside ladder.

image hosted on flickr

Spire cladding plan:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Other pics, Ro.Bi's gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Last edited by Skymyhusband; February 19th, 2009 at 11:23 AM.
Skymyhusband no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #15932
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Sky the spire U/C is now complete and sitting next to the entrance this morning. Should be up there any time now.
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #15933
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Man View Post
Look - get some perspective folks. This is DUBAI. This is an artificial Disneyland for the rich that is completely artificial and phoney and let's just celebrate that and this insane water feature all around the BD.

The thing is NOT a lake. Even if they made the thing twice as deep it would still look like an artificial concrete waterway and series of canals. I also did a lot of Googling about regarding the Bellagio fountain which I have seen...same deal and it is spectacular. This DOES NOT look like a cheap swimming pool - trust me, I live in Phoenix, Arizona and we've got hundreds of thousands of cheap swimming pools...this aint it!

First off that place is a desert and doing something with so much water is a tad nutzo to begin with..no? I mean if they cut a channel and used sea water that would be something else...but they are using fresh water...do you have any idea how many ga-zillion gallons of water is going to get evaporated off of that puppy every day in the summer?

My $0.02 worth
Your $0.02 are worthless. you are just contradicting yourself with every sentence.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #15934
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1640

^ I agree with him. The lake may look nice but of course it looks artificial. There's nothing wrong with that. After all man-made things can look good - skyscrapers for instance!

I also think the Bellagio's pool and fountains are really impressive and I hope Dubai's will have a similar impact.
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #15935
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

It will have a bigger impact than the Vegas one, since first of all the lake is much bigger, the fountaon is much longer and the fountain will shot the water higher in the air than the Bellagio one.
Old February 19th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #15936
gerald.d

Enough arguing.

Time for some more pics.

Old February 19th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #15937
idkblk
-InQontrol-

Likes (Received): 2

Why are there tiny holes in the spire cladding?
Ventilation for the guy that has to climb up there?
idkblk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #15938
ReiAyanami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 66

I still consider that a bigger, sea water, canal stretching from the sea and engulfing all the site would be better, even with no fountain. Just imagine the deep blue water around all those projects, with small sailing boats and more green space around the water. This all reminds me of a swimming pool or a water park, not a monumental scenery..... Now I made my self depressed
ReiAyanami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #15939
darkmatter

Likes (Received): 0

Wow that is some structure, and some great pictures

Last edited by darkmatter; February 19th, 2009 at 02:45 PM.
darkmatter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #15940
gerald.d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiAyanami View Post
I still consider that a bigger, sea water, canal stretching from the sea and engulfing all the site would be better, even with no fountain. Just imagine the deep blue water around all those projects, with small sailing boats and more green space around the water. This all reminds me of a swimming pool or a water park, not a monumental scenery..... Now I made my self depressed
Clearly this isn't the thread for you then.

Would you go into threads where people were discussing Ferrari's and complain that they can't seat 7 people with all their luggage?

No. I don't think you would.

Enough already. Please.

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae