daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 25th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #16121
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvanGard View Post
Unfortunately that is the main reason why so many are unimpressed with the way things are looking. Obviously quality was sacrificed for the sake of time.
Looming deadline and depleting financial resources might have forced Emaar to cut corners.
What exactly are you talking about?
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #16122
Nsukka
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by leogodoy View Post
I bet you are judging it dark based only on the last pictures posted.

Yes, these pictures are dark, but they were shot like that on pupose.

Cheers,
Leo
No, dark as in soulless. A tacky fairytale of exploitation, gluttony, obsessiveness, greed. It epitomizes everything that is wrong with this world today and why its foundation is crumbling. Dubai, is a hollow, soulless dump of lights, concrete and DUST. Woopti do-da-day, let go stare at a few overgrown, sparkly buildings sitting in the middle of steamy hot Desert, sounds like fuuuuun to meee!! NOT!! That's why they're going bankrupt.

Of what use is it to build all this crap out in the middle of a overbearingly hot desert, in a nation of only a few million.. other than to splurge in the slithering indulgence of grim dealings in sinister levels of greed and lust?

The Quacks behind this overgrown mess, claim to be Muslim, though act in every way shape and form in a manner in which, from my understanding of the faith, is TOTALLY un-Islamic. It all looks tacky, FAKE as I don't know what.. and just a big sparkly hot mess dropped in the middle of no-mans land.

It has no soul, like London, New York, Chicago, Toronto, Paris, Lagos; it has no history worth a damn, no dignified character, no MEANING!! It's just THERE!! WHY?? FOR WHAT PURPOSE?? EXPLOITATION is the answer!!

There, I said my piece, thank you'all for reading and I hope you'all continue to have fun Woopti-Doo-Da-Dubailand. I wont be posting in this thread again.

Last edited by Nsukka; February 25th, 2009 at 06:34 PM.
Nsukka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #16123
jCav

Likes (Received): 0

Oh snap! Well at least I'm not the only one who thinks Dubai may look good but there is no purpose or restraint for reality there.
jCav no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #16124
Krattle

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsukka View Post
No, dark as in soulless. A tacky fairytale of exploitation, gluttony, obsessiveness, greed. It epitomizes everything that is wrong with this world today and why its foundation is crumbling. Dubai, is a hollow, soulless dump of lights, concrete and DUST. Woopti do-da-day, let go stare at a few overgrown, sparkly buildings sitting in the middle of steamy hot Desert, sounds like fuuuuun to meee!! NOT!! That's why they're going bankrupt.

Of what use is it to build all this crap out in the middle of a overbearingly hot desert, in a nation of only a few million.. other than to splurge in the slithering indulgence of grim dealings in sinister levels of greed and lust?

The Quacks behind this overgrown mess, claim to be Muslim, though act in every way shape and form in a manner in which, from my understanding of the faith, is TOTALLY un-Islamic. It all looks tacky, FAKE as I don't know what.. and just a big sparkly hot mess dropped in the middle of no-mans land.

It has no soul, like London, New York, Chicago, Toronto, Paris, Lagos; it has no history worth a damn, no dignified character, no MEANING!! It's just THERE!! WHY?? FOR WHAT PURPOSE?? EXPLOITATION is the answer!!

There, I said my piece, thank you'all for reading and I hope you'all continue to have fun Woopti-Doo-Da-Dubailand. I wont be posting in this thread again.
Why do you even come to this forum? This is a forum for skyscraper lovers, not people like you. Why do we admire the cities we do? Because they were easy to build? Who on earth would want to build a city on the f**king water?! Yet, Venice is one of the most famous cities in the world precisely because of its location. Why would anyone want to build a city on top of a f**king mountain?! Yet, Machu Pichu is one of the most famous city ruins in the world. For the same reason we should appreciate Dubai. You should admire the huge risk the Sheikh took in building such a huge city - and yes, he set out to build a city. His speculation that Dubai was going to attract businesses and tourists was beginning to work. That is, until our recent economic depression and the fall in the real estate market. I predict Dubai will weather this crisis and come out on top, because any city that offers tax free business zones is going to attract businesses, PERIOD. Just as Hong Kong, a worthless piece of dirt barely larger than my home town of 240,000 people, with no natural resources to speak of, became one of the financial centers of the world, almost overnight, because it had EXTREMELY LOW TAXES. Hong Kong must have endured dozens of recessions and depressions, yet it's stronger than ever and huge skyscraper metropolis to boot.

So, you know what I say to you and everyone like you? Get out of here. Get your skyscraper-, Capitalist-, and Man-hating a$$ off this website. You don't deserve to be here if all you ever do is badmouth skyscrapers and spout off about how evil and disgusting they are. Go find some forum about self-sacrifice where everyone talks about how worthless the human race is and how we should never try to go anything great and admirable.

I looked at your other posts, Nsukka, and I found that you haven't got a single post that ISN'T filled with vitriol, vehemence, and utter disgust for everyone else and everything on this forum. You should be banned. And for the love of God, just shut the f**k up about Lagos. Do you call a history of African Kings who traded their own people as slaves a history that IS worth a damn? Learn your own Godd**n history! The best thing that happened to Lagos was when the British took it over and crushed the f**king slave trade!

Last edited by Krattle; February 25th, 2009 at 07:18 PM.
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #16125
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

would you stop with the offtopic crap. i did not sign up here to read pointless posts about a subject that has nothing to do with the worlds greatest structure!!!!!!!!!
Old February 25th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #16126
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

@Krattle
Don't feed the troll, dummy. It's obvious that the site mods will delete that post, so why even bother wasting your time on it?
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 09:54 PM   #16127
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krattle View Post
Why do you even come to this forum? This is a forum for skyscraper lovers, not people like you. Why do we admire the cities we do? Because they were easy to build? Who on earth would want to build a city on the f**king water?! Yet, Venice is one of the most famous cities in the world precisely because of its location. Why would anyone want to build a city on top of a f**king mountain?! Yet, Machu Pichu is one of the most famous city ruins in the world. For the same reason we should appreciate Dubai. You should admire the huge risk the Sheikh took in building such a huge city - and yes, he set out to build a city. His speculation that Dubai was going to attract businesses and tourists was beginning to work. That is, until our recent economic depression and the fall in the real estate market. I predict Dubai will weather this crisis and come out on top, because any city that offers tax free business zones is going to attract businesses, PERIOD. Just as Hong Kong, a worthless piece of dirt barely larger than my home town of 240,000 people, with no natural resources to speak of, became one of the financial centers of the world, almost overnight, because it had EXTREMELY LOW TAXES. Hong Kong must have endured dozens of recessions and depressions, yet it's stronger than ever and huge skyscraper metropolis to boot.

So, you know what I say to you and everyone like you? Get out of here. Get your skyscraper-, Capitalist-, and Man-hating a$$ off this website. You don't deserve to be here if all you ever do is badmouth skyscrapers and spout off about how evil and disgusting they are. Go find some forum about self-sacrifice where everyone talks about how worthless the human race is and how we should never try to go anything great and admirable.

I looked at your other posts, Nsukka, and I found that you haven't got a single post that ISN'T filled with vitriol, vehemence, and utter disgust for everyone else and everything on this forum. You should be banned. And for the love of God, just shut the f**k up about Lagos. Do you call a history of African Kings who traded their own people as slaves a history that IS worth a damn? Learn your own Godd**n history! The best thing that happened to Lagos was when the British took it over and crushed the f**king slave trade!
Good show Krattle! I second that entire statement!!!

Now can we please return to the subject at hand? The cladding is coming along nicely from the last few pics. Any idea when it will be finished?
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #16128
Krattle

Likes (Received): 12

Yeah, I'm sorry I pulled us even further off topic. What about the cladding on the spire? I saw a lot of posts about how Emaar hadn't/couldn't pay for it. Is that true?
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #16129
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

As much of a skyscraper enthusiast as I am, there are just as many buildings in Dubai I am disgusted with as there are that I am amazed by.

My point being, that just because someone thinks Dubai is ugly doesn't automatically mean they hate skyscrapers.

Really though, this argument really needs to die. It has nothing to do with the Burj.
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 12:01 AM   #16130
AvanGard
HMS

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
WHAT?
I was referring to the lake. The fact that it got build so quickly. Maybe they had to revise their initial design, to one that will produce a far quicker and more cost effective result. Call it a personal disbelieve, that next to one of the greatest buildings on earth we see this moderate representation of a lake. Donít get me wrong I am sure the fountain will be spectacular but even I could have thought of a more intricate and eye pleasing design for the lake. This ridicules two tone color, with visible irregularity in the shape of the darker one. They could have gone with Arabic inspired mosaic artwork, or complete simplicity, yet they chose what we see today.

I was simply contemplating on a reason why the lake looks the way it is. Itís quite possible they wanted to build it like that from the start. But in Dubai everything is done on such a grand scale and vision and this lake design just doesnít fit into that scheme.

Well I certainly got fed up with discussing the bloody lake.
AvanGard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 01:14 AM   #16131
unmentioned

Likes (Received): 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSkyWatcher View Post
Good show Krattle! I second that entire statement!!!

Now can we please return to the subject at hand? The cladding is coming along nicely from the last few pics. Any idea when it will be finished?
Yes, please. God forbid anyone have any sort of opinion! The nerve!

silly fanboys.
unmentioned no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 02:00 AM   #16132
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

last aerial pics are astonishing!!!
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #16133
Barafranca
Yeti

Likes (Received): 0

how fast is the cladding being put on?
Barafranca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 05:46 AM   #16134
leogodoy

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:

I enjoy your analysis, even though I disagree with most parts of it.

I agree that the growth is far from being "organic" like the other cities you mentioned. But I feel it has some value, I mean, the engineering achievements make it interesting.

About the exploitation of labour, I don't think this is the forum for this discussion, so I will hold on that.

Cheers,
Leo
leogodoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 05:50 AM   #16135
sky6one

Likes (Received): 1

Can any one tell me where i find Dubai Metro? sorry it's off topic

it was on SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > United Arab Emirates - دار زايـــد > Dubai Projects, but it's not there any more!!!!!! Where is it now???
sky6one no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 06:27 AM   #16136
Towards The Sun
and beyond....

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:

Shouldn't you be out on a ledge somewhere?
Towards The Sun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 07:41 AM   #16137
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Oh Oh - more OT ...............

Opinions are like *******s - everyone's got one - just some stink more than others.

So many times I've heard about how we should be more tolerant of other opinions which is fine in certain places and situations but Nsukka goes way too far.

Most of us are here because we love skyscrapers whether they are in Dubai or anywhere else - for this some would call us fanboys ..... - another stinky opinion but tolerable.

While everyone is entitled to their own opinion there is places you keep some opinions to yourself. The only reason to go someplace where people like something and spout off about how much you hate it, is to be an *******.

My suggestion to Nsukka is to go to a biker bar and spout off about how much he hates Harley's. I'm sure someone's daddy would teach him some tolerance in a hurry .....

Back OT.

Sept. 09 is/was to be a soft opening. Exactly what parts of the structure I'm not sure. They still may make that date. The full opening in Dec. 09 may be a tough date to meet.

OTR gave us a nice shot on the 21st showing the bottom half of tier 23 small wing is up on the spire. I wonder if the half wings are up yet ?

Old February 26th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #16138
gerald.d

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
OTR gave us a nice shot on the 21st showing the bottom half of tier 23 small wing is up on the spire. I wonder if the half wings are up yet ?

Hi Fury -

I'm going to be popping down later today. Could you repost the shot you're referring to, and I'll try to get an up to date picture?
gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #16139
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Hi Fury, spire cladding still the same as pic posted but I would guess that areas to cladd are pretty restricted at the moment.
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #16140
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

There is certainly more spire cladding on top then it was one month ago. I think they have already put in place that section we saw photographed at the bottom some 10 days ago.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae