daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #16201
JorgePertuz
jorge

Likes (Received): 0

JorgePertuz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2009, 01:17 AM   #16202
brummad
Oh! There he is!!

Likes (Received): 22

with reference to the fountains. i love them. cannot wait to see them all lit up and at full pelt soon. Are the buildings around the fountain residential?? i do feel sorry for them as these fountains are gonna be LOUD!!!. not that i would be bothers, i could never get bored of watching them every day lol
brummad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 04:17 AM   #16203
fast_fokker

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hochhaus View Post
Wow - more cladding for the top on the hook!
But why is that beam hanging above? To spare lifts and carry up that cube on the other end of the beam at the same time? I bet that no more steel beams are to be fixed on Burj Dubai.
The beam is to enable the load to be maneuvered closer to the base of the crane. The cube is a counterweight.
fast_fokker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 04:36 AM   #16204
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 883

i think that wasting so many tons of water in a country with such a problem of scarcity of water is just blasphemy and arrogance. even if the water is salty, the action of constructing so many and huge fountains in the middle of the desert is abnormal IMO.
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:54 AM   #16205
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 234sale View Post
[IMG]http://i42.************/33tgldh.jpg[/IMG]
Great shots 234. We were all wondering how they put up the small wings on the other side of the pinnacle pipe - answered.

The piece of cladding being placed is the bottom half of the half wing of tier 23 that is on the far side of the pinnacle pipe from the crane. I'm presuming Imre took his great set of shots after 234 (after 10 am) as we can see the piece in place.

The top half of tier 23 half wing facing the crane is already in place. This leaves 5 more pieces of the small wings to be put in place.
- the bottom half of tier 23 half wing facing the crane which will complete tier 23 small wings. The one bigger wing of tier 23 is up but not cladded yet.
- the top and bottom halves of the 2 small half wings of tier 22 - 4 total pieces. They may wait to put these on untill the other 2 sections of the bigger wing facing the crane are erected. Neither of the 2 bigger wings of tier 22 are cladded yet.

Nice to see some pieces going into place up top.

Old February 28th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #16206
fast_fokker

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovem View Post
i think that wasting so many tons of water in a country with such a problem of scarcity of water is just blasphemy and arrogance. even if the water is salty, the action of constructing so many and huge fountains in the middle of the desert is abnormal IMO.
And telling someone else what to do with their own resources smacks of just a little hypocrisy and a lot of arrogance from my perspective Very abnormal for the self righteous

Cheers,
fast_fokker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #16207
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

the water in this fountain are recycled (right word?) aren't they...

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #16208
Badchad

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.c.martens View Post
. . .and we care about what you think, why now? Seriously, like you are even remotely an authority around here, its a bit presumptuous to think you can direct content on a thread with only 4 posts. Just a bit. Ridiculous.
Sorry, I didn't know I had to post everyday that I come here to have an opinion. I come here nearly everyday to check up on projects that I'm interested about, not on off topic projects that somebody wants to spam two pages about.

But yeah, keep bashing all the people that come here and don't post that often, I'm sure the web developer will love you...
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #16209
caribbeanman

Hope I'm not going off topic but let me put my flame suit on and dive in.

Does anyone here have any idea how much electrical power it is going to take to run:

1)The Burj Dubai itself

2)The fountain pumps and lights and the desalination plants to keep the lake topped up

3)The surrounding developments, the mall etc.

Next question, how long are these buildings expected to last, 50 years, 100 years, 1000 years?

Last question what is the fuel source that will power the electrical power plants and the desalination plants, assuming those do not run on electricity?

What I'm getting at is that while a fair amount of money and energy (fuel) is being consumed in the construction of the Burj Dubai development, it is also going to need a sizable amount of money/energy to keep it in operation. If the planned source of this energy is nuclear or renewables then fine but, if it is fossil fuels there's a slight problem. There are projections coming from some quarters that suggest that petroleum and natural gas are likely to become increasingly scarce and expensive well within the lifetime of these developments. If so, alternative energy sources will have to be explored and developed but, that costs money and if Emaar is having problems with their cash flow to keep the Burj Dubai construction flowing smoothly, how are they going to finance energy developments?

It is not a subject to be taken lightly since, in an energy constrained world, financing is likely to be increasingly difficult. Who said anything about an energy constrained world? Try the International Energy Agency for starters. Even the more optimistic projections (US EIA) suggest supply constraints beginning in less than fifty years. Many of us will still be around and barring an unforeseen catastrophe, so will the Burj Dubai.

IMHO Dubai had better become the site of the biggest solar energy plant the world has ever seen or it will be lights out in 50 years, more or less. Take your pick,

Don't get me wrong, I'm as fascinated by this building as anybody out there, I'm just thinking about it's (very) long term viability.

Just in case anyone thinks I'm talking out of my rear end but, is interested in checking out some background information, you can look at:

http://www.worldenergyoutlook.org/ where you can select your language to view the 18 page executive summary (pdf)

http://www.theoildrum.com/ links to loads of stuff, probably more than most would care for.

http://www.netl.doe.gov/publications...aking_NETL.pdf The Hirsch report

http://peakoiltaskforce.net/download-the-report/qa/ a UK industry task force report

http://www.viddler.com/explore/someguy/videos/69/ a 42 min documentary for anyone who cares to watch it.
caribbeanman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #16210
The Terminator

Likes (Received): 7

Well, talking about this won't neccesarily be off topic, as long as its linked to Burj Dubai itself

As a response, I agree with your statement of Dubai being/having the largest solar energy plant the world has, to take advantage of its sub-desert climate.

However, for the time being, fossil fuels will do, since the middle east themselves have a hell lot of fuels, and if they ever run out of energy, they would simply cut off supplies to foreign countries.
The Terminator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #16211
Library User

Likes (Received): 1

Looking for Fury's diagrams on Burjdubaiskyscraper

I was looking for Fury's diagrams - Tier Methodology, Levels and how they are used, etc.

Now that there are more of these diagrams existing - have they been moved, and can we know how we can see them now ?

It would be good if all were in one place - or accessible from one place.

Also can we have the published renders of the interiors marked with the names and level numbers of the places they represent.

We have seen prints of the Ground floor, and Parking level 1 and 2. We would like to see the Concourse and Level 1 as well, if possible.

For reference please see post 16013.

Thank you
Library User no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #16212
234sale

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badchad View Post
Sorry, I didn't know I had to post everyday that I come here to have an opinion. I come here nearly everyday to check up on projects that I'm interested about, not on off topic projects that somebody wants to spam two pages about.

But yeah, keep bashing all the people that come here and don't post that often, I'm sure the web developer will love you...
Its a bit like me coming round your house with dirty shoes on,,,then me complaining about mud on the carpet...

I have an opinion about everything, but posting negative remarks never leads to a fruitfull post.

hey, what do I know...
Old February 28th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #16213
234sale

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribbeanman View Post
Hope I'm not going off topic but let me put my flame suit on and dive in.

Does anyone here have any idea how much electrical power it is going to take to run:

1)The Burj Dubai itself

2)The fountain pumps and lights and the desalination plants to keep the lake topped up

3)The surrounding developments, the mall etc.

Next question, how long are these buildings expected to last, 50 years, 100 years, 1000 years?.

IMO

1. about the same MW per sqft as any modern building.

2. Ground source water.

3. How old is the oldest skyscraper...
Old February 28th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #16214
gerald.d

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badchad View Post

I'm sorry, are you accusing me of spamming now?
gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #16215
gerald.d

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribbeanman View Post
Last question what is the fuel source that will power the electrical power plants and the desalination plants, assuming those do not run on electricity?
Dubai (and indeed the wider UAE) is actively looking into building nuclear power stations in the future.
gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #16216
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Library User View Post
I was looking for Fury's diagrams - Tier Methodology, Levels and how they are used, etc.

Now that there are more of these diagrams existing - have they been moved, and can we know how we can see them now ?

It would be good if all were in one place - or accessible from one place.

Also can we have the published renders of the interiors marked with the names and level numbers of the places they represent.

We have seen prints of the Ground floor, and Parking level 1 and 2. We would like to see the Concourse and Level 1 as well, if possible.

For reference please see post 16013.

Thank you
Hi Library.

My plan and Methodology were taken off Bike's site for reasons I was asked not to get into... (someday I will get into those reasons and post them here as I am not happy about them)

Here is a link to a zip of the plan and the methodology.

BD_Plan_and_Methodology.zip (1.4 MB)

I don't have a print of the Concourse level and only have a podium diagram of level 1. There is very few renders of the interiors out there - I have a few of the entrances that I posted not too long ago.

Old February 28th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #16217
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
I'm sorry, are you accusing me of spamming now?
Ignore this idiot newcomer. You're not spammer at all. We appreciate your videos and updates here.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #16218
Zollern

Likes (Received): 15

Just a general impression: not only does it appear that Dubai is now responsible for feeding the world's poor, but apparently it will be responsible for the undue utilisation of fossil fuels by operating the fountains. (Nowhere else in the world has skyscrapers apparently, or large developments for that matter.) Let the energy puritans shut down all those US amusement parks which wantonly waste precious energy on roller coaster thrill rides.

HH Sheikh Mohammed will be chuffed to discover that Dubai has such gravitas and influence in the world, but somewhat nonplussed to realise the huge extra responsibilities now placed on the Ruling Family. The onus for finding a solution to the current world economic crisis must surely be next task facing the Al Maktoums!
Zollern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #16219
Desert Diver
Just add water

Likes (Received): 215

These frustrated Dubai haters and nitpicking critics go on my nerves...
...for a second or two each, then its a bit of a yawn

Gerald keep it going!

Zollern:

Last edited by Desert Diver; February 28th, 2009 at 10:21 PM.
Desert Diver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #16220
Metalus

Likes (Received): 1

The recent posts do bring up good points and information I would like to know. Not to bash anything I love this building but would enjoy to know more about the logistics of it. Sure this forum is great for pictures and bits of info I just wish people didn't get bashed when they say something besides

" COOL TOWERS!!!!1! >!"

That crap to me is 100x more annoying and a total waste of data and everyones time. Back on track now, I wonder how much water on a daily basis will evaporate and then must be replaced, and other things above, ect, ect
Metalus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae