daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 27th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #16921
gerald.d

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by percy07 View Post
Thanks for the update.

It looks like they could be erecting a stage near The Address.
Imagine what it will look like: Fast cars "floating" on water, with the most spectacular fountain and building in the world as a backdrop....
Yup - it's definitely a stage for this:

Formula 1 glamour comes to Dubai

Quote:
Dubai takes pole position next month, when the excitement and glamour of Formula 1 hits the city for the first time.

In an amazing feat of engineering, large parts of Emaar's Downtown Burj Dubai development will be transformed into a race demonstration platform to welcome the Renault F1 Team. For the two days April 10-11th, the highly popular and fast-emerging downtown city area will be home to the French racing team's first stop in an exclusive 2009 four-show programme that will be travelling around the world.

The Renault Roadshow is a free public event and since being formed in 2003, has attracted two million spectators all wanting the chance to experience F1 cars and celebrities up close and personal. The event has travelled to the capital cities of Johannesburg, Kiev, New Delhi and Sao Paulo, proving to be a huge hit with petrol heads of all nationalities.

This year, Dubai has been selected as the inaugural event, with the show being held under the patronage of Mohammed Ben Sulayem, FIA Vice-President for Sport, and President of the Automobile & Touring Club of the UAE. Mr. Ben Sulayem is something of a legend in the regional motor sports community, given his unstinting support for all things automotive and his personal racing pedigree that has seen him win the Middle East Rally Championship an incredible 14 times.

For the UAE Renault Roadshow, the lake and waterfront areas facing The Dubai Mall and Souk Al Bahar will be specially adapted to host the Renault Formula 1 Team paddock. A Renault Village will also be put in place, which will display models from the company's range as well as host a number of activities for visitors. The normally tranquil outdoor environment will undergo a temporary change of ambience, buzzing to the high-octane sounds of revving engines and screeching tyres, as a number of tuned performance vehicles are put through their paces during the two-day, six-demo programme.

As an introduction to the main Formula 1 show, a team of professional stunt drivers will be pulling off stunning car tricks in a variety of cars on the demo platform that is being specially constructed; including the new 2009 Renault Megane Trophy - the latest incarnation of the company's 360hp V6 hot hatch. Winners from pre-arranged raffle draws will be able to experience first-hand the thrill of what this car is capable of, as they will get to have a white-knuckle ride in one as it performs donuts, wheelspins and other exhilarating manoeuvres.

Mohamed Bennani, Managing Director of Renault GCC, is clearly excited by the arrangement, which looks to demonstrate Renault's lead in performance motoring and to place Downtown Burj Dubai at the forefront of enthralling entertainment for the region.

Speaking yesterday, he said:
'This is a major achievement for both Renault and its partner, Emaar Properties, as it will be the first time that F1 comes to the city.'

'It is a huge operation, with all the logistics and special construction that is involved, but when you are prepared to put in such a vast amount of time and hard work, the rewards are that much greater,' he added.

'Many people are just not aware of how loud a Formula 1 car really is,' added Nicolas Gondard, head of Renault's regional motorsport activities. 'Hearing the Renault F1 car revving up sends tingles down the spine - it really is an incredible sound. We have spent months planning this event inspecting venues, adapting the event for Dubai and making sure F1 safety and running standards are achieved. Downtown Burj Dubai emerged as the ideal setting, due to its central location and its being home to the high traffic venue of The Dubai Mall. We're expecting a full-house with residents and visitors coming to see the show and I can assure you, they won't be disappointed,' he added.

The Roadshow is just one of the French company's forthcoming activities for the region. Renault GCC will be launching a brand new model two days after the show, the Koleos, which is the company's first 4x4 crossover vehicle. A model will be displayed in The Dubai Mall's Catwalk area, alongside a second Renault Formula 1 show car and will be officially launched at a ceremony at Ski Dubai. Renault's line-up for the GCC now extends from compact hatchbacks to SUVs, with recent models introduced including the Logan and Symbol, as well as the Saffrane, which is exclusive to the Gulf region.

The Renault Roadshow commences at Downtown Burj Dubai on Friday April 10th for two days, with entrance to special viewing areas around Souk Al Bahar and The Dubai Mall waterfront area being free for the public. More details on the event will be announced shortly.
Should be fun!
gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #16922
Ember-To-Ashes

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
yes seems to be clad up to 10th steel section?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3435/...269001f8_o.jpg

fury/ember-if you count steel section for having 20 actual levels of 6.4m each, would top /tier 24 be 180th floor?
i thought there was 20 steel sectiosn thus total 182 floors?

image hosted on flickr
I'm pretty sure i remember it being 182 Floors, but its been a while since ive counted and i cant remember.

Any news regarding the extra steel levels they need to finish? If i recall correctly they still need to finish 2 steel levels on 1 of the tiers.
Ember-To-Ashes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #16923
gerald.d

Likes (Received): 45

Missed one out.

gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #16924
cooperchris

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
Yup - it's definitely a stage for this:

Formula 1 glamour comes to Dubai

Should be fun!
I will be in Dubai then, superb!
cooperchris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #16925
TallBox

Likes (Received): 421

Quote:
image hosted on flickr
omg did they built it wrong? the tower is bending LOL
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #16926
st_cro
...evo me doma..

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBox View Post
You must be joking???
Old March 27th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #16927
cuysal88

Likes (Received): 4

Omg when i look carefully it really bends !!!
cuysal88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #16928
Desert Diver
Just add water

Likes (Received): 215

More pics from the crescent of Palm Jumeirah, roughly 15km distance from Burj Dubai

Large format (6265x1200): http://www.quetschluft.de/dubai/crescent_skyline_q.jpg

Last edited by Desert Diver; March 27th, 2009 at 06:07 PM.
Desert Diver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #16929
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuysal88 View Post
Omg when i look carefully it really bends !!!
It's just the added weight of the crane, when they remove it the tower will straighten up!
Old March 27th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #16930
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
of course they did, its bending out of shape for cryin out loud. LOL

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #16931
Dubai Spacescraper

Likes (Received): 1

Google Earth has added several 3D buildings to downtown Dubai, Including Burj Dubai!

[IMG]http://i42.************/64ja6d.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i39.************/2uoj9kk.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i44.************/9actuf.png[/IMG]

One of the models causes Google Earth to crash so I can't show the entire skyline, anyone else crashing?

I would say model quality is only so-so.

Last edited by Dubai Spacescraper; March 27th, 2009 at 09:29 PM.
Dubai Spacescraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #16932
Goyazny
ja u pidzami

Likes (Received): 155

If it breaks down, who will cover an insurance?

There are 847 pages about this building. I admit that I haven't read it all. But, one thing pops up occasionaly ...what is a point of this building?
If it in some tragic-comic scenario , realy breaks down , would there be more of those who would cry for it or these who will laugh ?
Call me malicious...but I would kill my self laughing .
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #16933
Zollern

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai Spacescraper View Post
I would say model quality is only so-so.
I read 'so-so' at first as '50-50'. It looks like they left off the detailing half way through. Pretty poor effort.
Zollern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #16934
Comdot
Taikun

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
oh for christ's sake what kind of spam is this.
1,000 photos posted with no bend. you work it out!
as usualy burj dubai thread is not worth visiting. endless pages of shite.
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #16935
Dubai Spacescraper

Here is my rankings: (of model quality in google earth)

Great:

South Ridge
Islamic Bank Towers
Damas Towers
Ahmed Abdul Rahim Al Attar Tower
Liberty House
Sky Gardens
Khalid Al Attar Tower
Maze Tower

So-so:

Burj Dubai
The Index
Currency House

Poor:

Burj Dubai Lake Tower
Almas Tower
Al Yaqoub Tower
The Tower Dubai -"Liberty dEsiGn" placed an exact copy of "kiju" model in the wrong location!

Last edited by Dubai Spacescraper; March 27th, 2009 at 09:57 PM.
Dubai Spacescraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 01:24 AM   #16936
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 330

Nice photos, Gerald! Very interested to see how the MKII photos will turn out as I'll be using that when I visit Dubai.

That F1 show preparation looks great as well. I wonder if they're using the floating stage just for a live band or for cars to be showcased almost literally in the water? Next couple of weeks will be interesting for sure.
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 03:06 AM   #16937
Spandex

the bending is caused by the lens of the camera (this pops up on this thread every 5-6 month or so haahha)

@ that goyazny guy (which allmost means gay-******* in my language)
The point of the building is exsacly to piss of dumbass naggers that want to see it fall, which wont happen so you'll just have to die... without the laughing

well I'm in a good mood today

Last edited by Spandex; March 28th, 2009 at 03:08 AM. Reason: wrong forumer quoted
Spandex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 03:08 AM   #16938
[sebastian_//

Likes (Received): 0

I also have models in Google land of high quality as Park place, al fattan marine towers and the Fairmont Dubai
And the model of rose rotana hotel is a copy that did “kiju” of mine
[sebastian_// está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 04:40 AM   #16939
Guaporense

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSkyWatcher View Post
Uhhh....the CN Tower is 533 meters tall so there's at least two. You didn't do yer homework didja?
1- CN tower is not a building.

2- Even taipei 101 does not have 500 meter to roof.
Guaporense no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 04:44 AM   #16940
Guaporense

Quote:
attention people posting about numbder of "megatalls".
there are approx 10 uc with another 25 planned. also a few towers.
40 structures, enough for a new section. only going to get more in future.
Why are you so certain that in the next 10 years we will have 40 buildings over 500 meters, considering that today we have only one, by spire height, and zero by roof height? We have only about 6 buildings over 400 meters by roof height today and 35 over 300 meters by spire height. This doesn't sound right.

How much are you willing to bet on 40 or more buildings over 500 meters by spire height in 2019? I would guess about 6-7 buildings that size by this year.

The current building boom, with proposals of massive skyscrapers are a product of the global credit boom that occurred in the world between the years 2001 to 2008. This period of artificial prosperity is over, and another boom of the same scale will not happen in some time now. In the 20's we had several supertall skyscrapers proposals that were not completed, that period was very similar to the historical period that we now live in. Many skyscrapers were build, after 1933 it took about 20 years for another tall building boom to occur. The ESB of today is the Burj Dubai, this building will remain the tallest in the world for the next decades, probably until 2040.
Guaporense no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae