daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 28th, 2009, 04:55 AM   #16941
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

i do have to agree on the The ESB of today is the Burj Dubai. but i dont think the global credit problem with help the burj dubai hold the title longer. but dont get me wrong, i hope it does.

Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2009, 05:58 AM   #16942
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaporense View Post
Why are you so certain that in the next 10 years we will have 40 buildings over 500 meters, considering that today we have only one, by spire height, and zero by roof height? We have only about 6 buildings over 400 meters by roof height today and 35 over 300 meters by spire height. This doesn't sound right.

How much are you willing to bet on 40 or more buildings over 500 meters by spire height in 2019? I would guess about 6-7 buildings that size by this year.

The current building boom, with proposals of massive skyscrapers are a product of the global credit boom that occurred in the world between the years 2001 to 2008. This period of artificial prosperity is over, and another boom of the same scale will not happen in some time now. In the 20's we had several supertall skyscrapers proposals that were not completed, that period was very similar to the historical period that we now live in. Many skyscrapers were build, after 1933 it took about 20 years for another tall building boom to occur. The ESB of today is the Burj Dubai, this building will remain the tallest in the world for the next decades, probably until 2040.
while i agree the Burj is the ESB of today there are more pressing factors today that will allow for the need of "megatall" buildings. the most obvious is population growth (im talking about india, china and the U.S.) more people means you need more housing, and commercial centers. Suburban sprawl as we know it is on the decline as we know because were running out of usable land space, and "peak oil" is near, so driving from your mc mansion to your downtown office is no longer feasible for more and more people. another factor is peoples concern for the environment we all know skyscrapers are more efficient than single trak homes. people want to live in these buildings. people are not going to live in in sprawl for long and if you don't want to go out you go up in this case you really go up. the burj will hold the title for the tallest for some time to come, but there will be many buildings that will surpass the 500m mark, maybe not this year but by next new proposals will be flying out. the wheels of this recession have turned to economic expansion.
dachacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 06:26 AM   #16943
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
so if you add the 17 steel levels to 162 that equates to 179 actual floors in Burj Dubia?
Hi Cul.

I would add 7 more to that - one for each tier above section 23B. Tiers 24 to 26 have terraces and 27 to 30 have platforms inside the pinnacle.

162 levels + 17 sections + 7 tiers = 186.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaporense
Why are you so certain that in the next 10 years we will have 40 buildings over 500 meters, considering that today we have only one, by spire height, and zero by roof height?
Huh ...

- Tier 22 on the BD is called roof 4 / spire 1 and the top of it is at 720.1 meters.
- Level 160 mezz. 3 is the highest named level and the top of it is at 630.5 meters.
- Level 154 is the highest level occupied by tenants and the top of it is at 579.3 meters.

I consider the roof at the top of tier 22 but even if you want to call the roof at one of the lower 2 heights the BD's roof is way over 500 meters.

I don't know how many structures over 500 meters we will have but seems to me Cul is just being an optomist - nothin' wrong with that.

Old March 28th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #16944
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachacon View Post
while i agree the Burj is the ESB of today there are more pressing factors today that will allow for the need of "megatall" buildings. the most obvious is population growth (im talking about india, china and the U.S.) more people means you need more housing, and commercial centers. Suburban sprawl as we know it is on the decline as we know because were running out of usable land space, and "peak oil" is near, so driving from your mc mansion to your downtown office is no longer feasible for more and more people. another factor is peoples concern for the environment we all know skyscrapers are more efficient than single trak homes. people want to live in these buildings. people are not going to live in in sprawl for long and if you don't want to go out you go up in this case you really go up. the burj will hold the title for the tallest for some time to come, but there will be many buildings that will surpass the 500m mark, maybe not this year but by next new proposals will be flying out. the wheels of this recession have turned to economic expansion.
While I agree that population growth will necessitate higher population densities I really don't believe that the building will be anywhere near this tall. The economics' just don't work, there is a point much lower than 500m where the economic benefits of building taller just don't work. We'll see many more high-rise buildings but very few Supertalls! Especially for residential units most people just aren't willing to pay the astronomical costs to live in a building like this.
Old March 28th, 2009, 07:18 AM   #16945
skyscraper100
>:

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuysal88 View Post
Omg when i look carefully it really bends !!!
its just the camera!
skyscraper100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 08:01 AM   #16946
Guaporense

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachacon View Post
while i agree the Burj is the ESB of today there are more pressing factors today that will allow for the need of "megatall" buildings.
By the economics of land use, there is no demand for megatalls (roofs over 500 meters, or 125 stories) in any country of the world. The places in the world with the greatest demand for skyscrapers (in terms of land prices) are Hong Kong and New York, these places demand buildings of 50-60 stories, more than that doesn't make economic sense in any place in the world. Dubai is building skyscrapers for fun, because they like spend money on tall buildings (I think that governments all over the world are subsidizing skyscraper construction, especially in asia). It is not economical to build skyscrapers on areas with rural population density. Dubai is a city with a GDP of 50 billion dollars, my city, Porto Alegre, Brazil, has a GDP of 44 billion dollars, the tallest building in Porto Alegre has 106 meters.

Quote:
the most obvious is population growth (im talking about india, china and the U.S.) more people means you need more housing, and commercial centers. Suburban sprawl as we know it is on the decline as we know because were running out of usable land space, and "peak oil" is near, so driving from your mc mansion to your downtown office is no longer feasible for more and more people. another factor is peoples concern for the environment we all know skyscrapers are more efficient than single trak homes. people want to live in these buildings. people are not going to live in in sprawl for long and if you don't want to go out you go up in this case you really go up. the burj will hold the title for the tallest for some time to come, but there will be many buildings that will surpass the 500m mark, maybe not this year but by next new proposals will be flying out. the wheels of this recession have turned to economic expansion.
1- São Paulo and Tokyo concentrate population with only few skyscrapers. In fact you don't need even highrises, you could house all the world's population and office in buildings with 5-6 stories and high density, only central areas in cities need buildings over 20 stories. The Burj Dubai uses more land area for all fancy stuff around compared to any of the dense areas of new york (midtown, downtown).

2- The supertall building boom that is ending now was caused by the emission of credit, with pushed land prices up and stimulated highrise construction. With the breakdown of the global land prices, highrise building is going down. Only ***** enlargements like the burj dubai and that horrid building in china are under construction.

3- In fact, these days skyscrapers are becoming more and more consumer products (build taller because it is cool) and less mechanisms to create a loot of floor space in small areas. The concept of the skyscraper is becoming corrupted.
Guaporense no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #16947
Taufiq

Likes (Received): 1

from flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ninoxowl/3390664265/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ninoxowl/3390664109/
Taufiq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #16948
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast View Post
the CN tower is not a building
Yep...he said TOWER in his post. He said there were not towers over 500m besides the Burj.

I did typo the height though, it is 553m.
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #16949
k.i.ju

Likes (Received): 0

I also have models in Google land of high quality as Park place, al fattan marine towers and the Fairmont Dubai
And the model of rose rotana hotel is a copy that did “kiju” of mine
You had seen my models? I dident copy your models sebastian, i made my models using your models to see how i can made it better
k.i.ju no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #16950
London21

Likes (Received): 42

Burj Dubai Video - Sponsored by Nakheel

http://www.ameinfo.com/186613.html
London21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #16951
madtony26.2

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.i.ju View Post
I also have models in Google land of high quality as Park place, al fattan marine towers and the Fairmont Dubai
And the model of rose rotana hotel is a copy that did “kiju” of mine
You had seen my models? I dident copy your models sebastian, i made my models using your models to see how i can made it better

Yep, Google states that this is allowed, too. Also, you can't really blame google for the quality of the buildings that pop up. If a building is decent, google will add it into the 'best of' layer of google earth. If someone submits a better one, google will replace the current model in the 'best of' section. So, if you think you could improve a building, you can add it into 3d warehouse yourself, and hope that google will accept it (which takes a few months after you submit it).
madtony26.2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #16952
Library User

What's left to build up top ?

What remains to be built up top before the cranes come off ?

There's at least two small cranes in addition to the main one up there - are these the recovery cranes used to take the big one down, or are they needed to help with the cladding, or any other remaining work.

Also, there is the crane at level 99.

As I understand it, no occupancy could be started as long as there are any cranes on the building.

Can someone who knows bring us up to date - thank you.
Library User no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #16953
Library User

East office annex building - design question

Was the East office annex building designed as a 7-storey or 12-storey building ?

As a 12 storey building, it would need either more elevators or faster elevators than the 7-storey version. These would need to have been provided for earlier in the design-build process.

Same goes for HVAC, electrical systems, evacuation capacities, etc etc.

Was the building designed for 12 floors, with a plan to build 7 at first, and add the rest later - and later became now ?

Also why would this be happening at the present time while many other projects in the region are being delayed or cancelled for economic reasons ?

Who or what is driving these events ?

Thanks
Library User no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #16954
steppenwolf

Likes (Received): 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppenwolf View Post
How much floor space does this building contain?

And who are occupying it?
Thought I'd re-ask as no one asnwered me.
steppenwolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #16955
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

i found some 3d models

http://www.exchange3d.com/cubecart/a...prod_9568.html
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #16956
eric17790

When is this supposed to end?
eric17790 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #16957
highrisellc

Likes (Received): 2

I really would like to know how the surveyors did the layout for this building? The building is so high you cant see up there. Thats crazy engineering.

just the height alone. during the process of erection getting the elevation correct with the temputure changes, is alot.
highrisellc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #16958
JDonner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post

shot of the year?
by momentaryawe

image hosted on flickr
Actually one of the worst photos I have seen, just another complete rape of HDRI....sigh
JDonner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 01:04 AM   #16959
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 01:07 AM   #16960
DubaiRover

Tried to straighten it up, result: big party in BD

DubaiRover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae