daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 05:57 PM   #17781
Library User

Likes (Received): 1

Burj tower lighting - is it LED's

A recent post speculated about the colours to be used in the tower outside lighting. Is this going to be LED's or some other form of very energy-efficient displays.

Also, since the BD is mainly residential up to L 108, they would not need lighting to be very bright, if at all. The upper part of the building needs to be easily visible at night for safety reasons and thus needs brighter lighting.

Some colours of LED lights are more expensive to manufacture than others, with the basic colours being light blue or white - also these are most efficient and visible.

Any knowledge or comments ?

Thank you

Last edited by Library User; May 2nd, 2009 at 05:58 PM. Reason: fix spelling
Library User no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:13 PM   #17782
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

now that looks like a city.
[img]http://i43.************/72vk7b.jpg[/img]
Ganis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:25 PM   #17783
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Library User View Post
You wanted T 15 charts to make your point, and quoted them, but the diagram showing here looks like the start of T 18 to me - L 160 M3.

Since it's right in front of me, I have a question - what is the machine called BS/4 - which goes just from L160 to L160 M3, according to what charts I have seen, but I probably havn't seen everything you have.

Is this the "Spire maintenance elevator" noted on BurjDubai.com, or is that reference just another piece of their nonsense ? This is probably the highest permanent elevator-to-be in the world, although the construction lift in use now up there goes even higher - looks like up to T21 in the photos.

Thanks for your knowledge and help
Hi Library.

The print I used is a composite print of tiers 16, 17, and 18 that shows the terraces of each tier. I used it to show the shape and size of tier 15 only because above the first level of tier 15 that includes a terrace (level 152) the tier is this shape.

Here is the 3 prints it is a composite of:

Level 156 - Tier 16 start.

Level 159 - Tier 17 start.

Level 160 Mezz. 3 - Tier 18 start.

Clik on the last 2 for full size.

Here is tier 18 above the first level - that I sized.

Elevator BS/4 appears to start on level 160 (which is where BS3/F ends) and ends in tier 18 - I can't tell which of the 3 sections from what I have.

I would disregard any technical info on the official site. It does have some good info though. Bikes' site is the goods.

Your welcome Library - you and I seem to think alike - enjoying the technical aspects of this great structure.

Last edited by Fury; May 2nd, 2009 at 09:33 PM.
Fury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:39 PM   #17784
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq View Post
the last photo is literally breathtaking!! wow!
I have to agree with that! One of the neatest angles yet.
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:54 PM   #17785
city_life

Likes (Received): 5

Migrant workers suffer from discrimination, exploitation and abuse. Migrants, including large numbers of women employed as domestic servants, face intimidation and violence, including sexual assault, at the hands of employers, supervisors, sponsors and police and security forces. Children are especially vulnerable to labor and sexual exploitation and denial of basic rights.

Labourers are often paid extremely low wages and have to work for several years to pay off debts to unscrupulous labour recruiters. Bosses also widely withhold workers' passports.

South Asian workers are essentially indentured servants, borrowing heavily to pay recruitment agents for jobs. They can spend several years paying back debts that can run $3,000 or more with wages ranging from $150 to $300 a month.

Employer-provided housing is bare, crowded trailers surrounded by barbed wire or located on Dubai's desert fringes. Some are not connected to water or sewage grids.

Last edited by city_life; May 3rd, 2009 at 02:22 AM.
city_life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:15 PM   #17786
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Great, now that you're "famous", can we get back at discussing what we are for here? ... Thank you master, and sorry for slightly taking the limelight away from you.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:59 PM   #17787
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1273

Altin why is it forbidden to show the other side of the coin of this project? I mean everything what city life said is right! We have seen pictures of the labour camps etc. Ok it is offtopic but everyone who is trying to speak out another opinion than the majority here has, is been smashed to ground by verbal comments etc. Don't get me wrong, BUT a forum lives with the sharing of opionions and information etc. and city life is just traing to offer us his view abouzt this project and how it has been executed!
Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:02 PM   #17788
Ember-To-Ashes

Likes (Received): 7

This forum is about discussing the construction of the worlds tallest tower, Not a political discussion on Dubai's workforce.
Ember-To-Ashes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:18 PM   #17789
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
Altin why is it forbidden to show the other side of the coin of this project? I mean everything what city life said is right! We have seen pictures of the labour camps etc. Ok it is offtopic but everyone who is trying to speak out another opinion than the majority here has, is been smashed to ground by verbal comments etc. Don't get me wrong, BUT a forum lives with the sharing of opionions and information etc. and city life is just traing to offer us his view abouzt this project and how it has been executed!
What Amber-To-Ashes said

... plus not everything what city life said is right. Actually the ugliest of his statement is maliciously made up.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:19 PM   #17790
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Likes (Received): 2467

AltinD may i suggest you create a thread about the labor situation in the UAE on some international subforum and let them voice their concerns there. It will be a win-win situation .... Or we can stick to the current method

Edit :- yes i agree AltinD some of his points were pure fabrication.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:30 AM   #17791
Taufiq

Quote:
Altin why is it forbidden to show the other side of the coin of this project? I mean everything what city life said is right!
not really, it takes tons of typing long paragraphs (which has been done many times in other long threads throughout this forum) to respond and debunk to a drive by post like that one.
Taufiq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:45 AM   #17792
waccamatt
Gamecocks&Skyscrapers fan

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
I agree; there is room for both discussions and people need to know about the dark side of Dubai.
waccamatt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:58 AM   #17793
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 52018

Code:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dAv4gvLs18Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dAv4gvLs18Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:45 AM   #17794
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I agree; there is room for both discussions and people need to know about the dark side of Dubai.
The dark side is when Burj Dubai casts a shadow in the hot summer sun.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:40 PM   #17795
Desert Diver
Just add water

Likes (Received): 215

THE DARK SIDE OF THE BURJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Diver View Post

Last edited by Desert Diver; May 3rd, 2009 at 01:52 PM.
Desert Diver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 03:12 PM   #17796
percy07
Shallow & Pedantic

Likes (Received): 33

Desert River, those pictures are incredible!

I guess that effect is created from the dust in the air catching the sun (and dust caught in shadow).

Wow!
percy07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:59 PM   #17797
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

havent seen this side for a while..

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:51 PM   #17798
jhalsey

Likes (Received): 193

That will be the shadows caused in a misty dawn.
jhalsey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:06 PM   #17799
Ludvic_Van_Dersar
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

I wish i can visiti Dubai one day to know how its like to see such a skyscraper in person.
Ludvic_Van_Dersar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:17 PM   #17800
Taufiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasis-Bangkok View Post
Code:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dAv4gvLs18Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dAv4gvLs18Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Nice video Oasis-Bangkok!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAv4gvLs18Q
Taufiq no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae