daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 4th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #17821
erikdegroot88
erik

Likes (Received): 0

Burj dubai is very shiny and reflective.

erikdegroot88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #17822
pentimo

Likes (Received): 9

fountain in night at Burj Dubai

Sorry for delay....

new 360 degree panorama picture is ready...

Relax ! ...and see the picture !

http://www.pentimo.com/after.php

http://www.pentimo.com/after.php
pentimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:12 AM   #17823
Doomlord_uk

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
1. It is not all that bad. The construction workers have their dignity and take pride in what they are doing. Period. They earn enough for a good living back home, where they most likely would not have found a comparably decent job if they had stayed. So why not take the chance and come to work in Dubai for a couple of years building skyscrapers? Enhancing skills and thus increasing their value on the market back home.
o rly?
After two years, they're lucky to have paid off their recruitment fees...

The fact is, we skyscraper fans have been royally entertained by these great building projects, and buried our heads in the Dubai sands as to how they get built, and how the people they're built for treat other human beings. Dubai does not deserve the architecture it has - that is the sad truth.

All I'm saying is, when you're ogling the amazingness and awesomeness of the Burj Dubai,, just remember the human cost to build it.
Doomlord_uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:25 AM   #17824
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooey1 View Post
This forum is about discussing the construction of the worlds tallest tower, Not a political discussion on Dubai's workforce.

Without the workforce there wouldn't be any construction.

I've been following this thread since dic made their approaches to take over Liverpool football club. I was really excited at the time because I believed that Sheik Mohammed would be a great owner. Researching about the guy brought me here and I've watched with interest ever since.

Now it has become common (and undeniable) knowledge about the conditions and exploitation of the workers from the subcontinent, I want no more part of it thank you.

Dubai looks great, but without justice it's all built on sand, metaphorically as well as physically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomlord_uk View Post
o rly?
After two years, they're lucky to have paid off their recruitment fees...

The fact is, we skyscraper fans have been royally entertained by these great building projects, and buried our heads in the Dubai sands as to how they get built, and how the people they're built for treat other human beings. Dubai does not deserve the architecture it has - that is the sad truth.

All I'm saying is, when you're ogling the amazingness and awesomeness of the Burj Dubai,, just remember the human cost to build it.
What is so difficult to understand that this forum is about construction and architecture and not social and political issues?

Can't you find a forum where those issues so "close" to your hearts are discussed, or if there isn't any move your lazy arses and create one.

For god sake, it's not that you really give a sh*t about them or something ...
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:00 AM   #17825
sooey1
BANNED

It's obvious that you don't.

As long as the nice shiny towers keep getting built eh...

Well, that seems to be running out of steam now, thank god. You can't talk about 'construction' without talking about the construction workers. They may not count in your eyes, but the world is waking up to what Dubai has been built on. Don't kid yourself that it doesn't matter cos it does. I for one example would have loved to visit Dubai to see all the marvels, now I wouldn't touch it with a sh1tty stick.
sooey1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:23 AM   #17826
DarkFenX
A B C

Likes (Received): 14

Just banned them AltinD. Don't waste your time.

BOSTON - CITY OF CHAMPIONS

NE Patriots 2001 - NE Patriots 2003 - NE Patriots 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2007 - Boston Celtics 2008 - Boston Bruins 2011 - Boston Red Sox 2013 - NE Patriots 2014
DarkFenX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #17827
sooey1
BANNED

Just banned them AltinD. Don't waste your time.

If I can be banned for expressing an honest opinion, then so be it. If that is the case I wouldn't wish to be on here anyway. But by Christ yank, what an arzehole you are.
sooey1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:03 AM   #17828
Spandex

Likes (Received): 1

jeezuz plz stop

ohhh come on!!!!
no one here wants to hear your crap about poor workers and ethics etc (unless you let it come with a bunch of awesome photos of the "poor old guys" erecting this masterpiece.)

We have gotten these kind of "Jesus" guys on here regularly for the last 4-5 years and they just come in, save the world with their humanitarian posts, feel good about them selves and finally disappear
I say just ban them immediately!!

the last 360 photo gives me a serious case of the heebyjeebies, damn how I cant wait to be standing there in few months time
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:08 AM   #17829
Ember-To-Ashes

Likes (Received): 7

Cant a moderator just delete all this rubbish and let us continue discussing the Construction

*wishes he were a Mod*
Ember-To-Ashes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #17830
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooey1 View Post

It's obvious that you don't.

As long as the nice shiny towers keep getting built eh...

Well, that seems to be running out of steam now, thank god. You can't talk about 'construction' without talking about the construction workers. They may not count in your eyes, but the world is waking up to what Dubai has been built on. Don't kid yourself that it doesn't matter cos it does. I for one example would have loved to visit Dubai to see all the marvels, now I wouldn't touch it with a sh1tty stick.

If you really do care, you wouldn't waste your time in a internet forum dealing on different issues but actually go out in real world and do something about it ... and no, disrupting a discussion is not "doing something about it"

I do care about allot of things, including the idiotsy or mental incapacity of understanding their place and limits of some people, but I don't go around spoiling others discussions with that just for the sake of it.

Now, as I adviced you earlier, go find another forum dealing with human rights and if there's none, go create one! I can give a pushing hand if you want ... or fail to do so.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 03:35 AM   #17831
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasis-Bangkok View Post

?????????
like this minimalist Logo
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:47 AM   #17832
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 713

Impressive building and marvelous engineering feat and I for one am not offended by the discussions in how and by who this building was constructed by. In fact it's enlightening. I hate living in the dark it reminds me of the Bush years.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:07 AM   #17833
Taufiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomlord_uk View Post

Dubai does not deserve the architecture it has - that is the sad truth.
You don't get to decide that O great one with your own subjective feelings, the market does. As an elitist you are comparing your life to the workers. They have to be offered something BETTER than they work they had back home (which is much much harder, lower paying and/or dangerous) or they would not have accepted.
Taufiq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:25 AM   #17834
Celt67

Likes (Received): 1545

Surely if people on other threads on this forum can comment that things like the Empire State Building, Chrysler Building, Hoover Dam...etc were built under fierce workers conditions of the great depression, it's similiarly relevant to discuss what is going on with the ESB's modern equivelant this very day ?

Or do we need to wait another three quarters of a century before we can talk about it ?
Celt67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #17835
Taufiq

from flickr:

Taufiq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:42 AM   #17836
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

I can't get over how some people figure the workers on the BD are let out of their shackles every day only to be whipped with only a couple drops of water all day .....

Back OT.

Nice to see the cladding up in the steel moving at a faster rate.

Altin - you saw the crane facing straight out from the structure ? It really looks like that is not possible in some shots. Perhaps it just looked like it was straight out ?

Too bad we didn't get more shots from the crane. Last one of 4 was from 08 10 14.

Talk was these shots were from the CC TV. If true, someone got a heck of a show every day. I would like to see more of these - old or not.

Speaking of old shots - trip down memory lane anyone ...

Here is one from October 2003 just before excavation commenced. The site is just on the other side of the long building or whatever it is on the right side of the shot. I have an arrow pointing to the tree/bush that was beside the South gate for years.

Here is another from Jan 2006 showing the same tree/bush.

I say Oct '03 was just before digging because here is one from Dec '03 that shows some digging has been done.

The site is just to the left of the white presentation center (gone now) on the other side of the temp. lake. The pics are fairly small but if you save them and zoom in with your pic program of choice you can make things out.

Here is a shot taken from the site from Mar 17 '04 that was labelled "stairway to heaven" - how appropriate.

Here is a shot from May '04 showing piling well under way. We can see the temp. lake and the presentation center.

I wish there wasn't so much secrecy around this project. We could have had so many more shots from these early phases that I find so interesting.

Old May 5th, 2009, 06:56 AM   #17837
Destroyed007
This space is for sale

Likes (Received): 3

Wow.. Those shootings are very, very, very angled.
Some professional shooter done it? lol
Destroyed007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #17838
Barafranca
Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq View Post
from flickr:

OOOOH pretty!!!
Barafranca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:04 AM   #17839
erikdegroot88
erik

Awesome pics. Tnx!
Wonderful view from top there.

After reading last few pages - even some people threatening with a bans - we must conclude this is obviously not the space to reflect on other facets of UAE society.

For those wanting to discuss more about the hands of the builders and other interesting facets of UAE - as mentioned before - there is this threat:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=844450
erikdegroot88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #17840
whoami

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

I wish there wasn't so much secrecy around this project. We could have had so many more shots from these early phases that I find so interesting.

you bet
whoami no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae