daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 6th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #17881
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

6 May 2009

IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Netherlands architect's "Dubai Frame" wins first prize in 11th ThyssenKrupp Elevator Architecture Award

International jury selected winning ideas from 926 design proposals for a Tall Emblem Structure at Za’abeel Park

Dubai Municipality and ThyssenKrupp Elevator on Wednesday announced the winners of the ThyssenKrupp Elevator International Architecture Award 2009, which was held under the auspices of the International Union of Architects.

Thanking ThyssenKrupp for selecting Dubai from among the cities all over the world for the 11th ThyssenKrupp Elevator International Architecture Award. Eng. Hussain Nasser Lootah, Director General of Dubai Municipality said it reflects the development of Dubai as a major city in the world.

He said this international creative competition, which received tremendous response from more than 70 countries, has put Dubai on the world map in a bigger way.

"The selection of Dubai City as the place for the XI ThyssenKrupp Elevator Architecture Award and the large number of participants in the competition represent an international indication and recognition of the distinctive urban development of Dubai and its role in the promotion of architecture in the world," said Lootah.

The first prize of $100,000 was won by Fernando Donis of the Netherlands for his proposal, "Dubai Frame". Rather than compete with the city, the Dubai Frame intends to do the opposite: simply to frame it, explains the winning team.

"The developmental process of the city – current and future – is captured within the ever-changing portrait framed by the building. Rather than building a massive structure, the purpose of this project is to build a 'void'. Measuring 150 meters by 105 meters, the void is a window to the development of the current and future skyline of Dubai."

At the base of the project, the podium, cultural and conference facilities accumulate. Open to the public, the podium can also be used for numerous events and functions, such as exhibitions, concerts, outdoor theatre and forums. At the top of the structure, at a height of 150 meters, a café is positioned offering breathtaking 360 degree views of the entire city: the roof top offers an open-air site with viewing terraces.

Luo Siwei of China was awarded the $50,000 second prize for the "Magic Mirror" proposal, which is a Twisted Ring structure 160 meters in diameter. The Magic Mirror can rotate in 360 degrees which brings all the view from around it into the frame of the Ring.

Three teams were awarded $20,000 each as the third prize winners. The team led by Alejandro Rios from Spain proposed "The Mirage", the team of Ferran Yusta in the Netherlands and Marta Pozo in France presented the "Big Beam", and the Canadian, Hongbo Lu residing in China, proposed "The Flying Colors of Dubai."

Announcing the winners, Javier del Pozo, CEO of ThyssenKrupp Elevator Southern Europe, Africa & Middle East and President of the Jury of the Award, said that the participants were required to propose a new Tall Emblem Structure at Za’abeel Park-an emblem designed to add to the new face of Dubai, while promoting tourism, and other recreational, scientific and cultural activities.

He said a total of 926 conceptual design proposals were presented and evaluated for the Awards by an International Jury, which short-listed ten proposals with merit, and awarded the best five proposals.

Established in 1988, the Architecture Award was envisaged by ThyssenKrupp Elevator as a way to engage professionals to create outstanding proposals for major cities, globally.

-Ends-

Photo: Hussain Lootah and Javier del Pozo during the press conference.

[IMG]http://i41.************/2pph8rb.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i40.************/10xtv1x.jpg[/IMG]
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #17882
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

I remember when they launched the iniciative, but I don't like the concept at all. It might look good in bragging rights on the "idea" about it, but ads nothing visually.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #17883
DXBQuantum

Location: From - London, Work - Dubai, Ski - Colorado, Fly - New Zealand
Likes (Received): 1

Fantastic, its quite a show at night... crowds are great there.... going to be so amazing when everything is finished...

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci
DXBQuantum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #17884
omarpalmdubai

Likes (Received): 15

Burj Dubai interior work on track

http://www.constructionweekonline.co...work_on_track/
omarpalmdubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #17885
DennisS
Just a student

Likes (Received): 70

Good to hear something positive about the internal works!
DennisS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #17886
jhalsey

Likes (Received): 181

i can foresee people wanting to jump in the lake to cool off!
jhalsey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #17887
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

I wish to see that ... so the ocasional drunk morons can learn what it means to mess with Darwin's theories.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #17888
Charles Robert

Likes (Received): 0

Exact height

Hi guys!
First post here, I've been following the construction of that giant thing for a year now.

Here's a small question : do we know the exact height of the beacons on top of the spire? So is the "real" height of the tower 818.9m or something?

And why are they not counting it as part of the structure? For example, when they say Taipei 101 is 509m tall, are they excluding in the count that .5 or 1m high "antenna" that's erected on the center of the big ball on top? (I hope I'm being clear here...)

Thanks!

Charles
Charles Robert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #17889
skyperu34
TRUXILLO del PERU !!!

Likes (Received): 808

The fountains look great !!! Illumination will be the best !

Diseño, arquitectura, arte y naturaleza en:

skyperu34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #17890
persian cat

Likes (Received): 583

The realities of Dubai. very interesting

http://irannegah.com/Video.aspx?id=1142
persian cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #17891
Adam2707

Likes (Received): 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian cat View Post

Also very untrue. You only have to read some of the comments made.

Many of the building shown that they stated as 'finished but left empty' is untrue most of them have people waiting to move into them as soon as there handed over.

They even said the Burj Dubai was left unfinished which we all know isn't true. The film feels like a propaganda movie to get people to invest in Iran rather than Dubai.
Adam2707 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #17892
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240715

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Robert View Post
Hi guys!
First post here, I've been following the construction of that giant thing for a year now.

Here's a small question : do we know the exact height of the beacons on top of the spire? So is the "real" height of the tower 818.9m or something?

And why are they not counting it as part of the structure? For example, when they say Taipei 101 is 509m tall, are they excluding in the count that .5 or 1m high "antenna" that's erected on the center of the big ball on top? (I hope I'm being clear here...)

Thanks!
Charles
The height of Burj Dubai is 818m (see title) from the base, until the spire; through, the height of BD (Burj Dubai) might, may change because we 'll wait the official height from the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #17893
antovador
space wanderer

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Robert View Post
Hi guys!

Thanks!

Charles
Beacons will be count in the CTBUH fourth criteria
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #17894
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 283

this tower is like amazing! I saw a pic of be yesterday n was like "OMG"

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #17895
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Likes (Received): 2435

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian cat View Post

Negah please seriously though , Students in foundation year media 101 classes make better quality films .... oh and its just a propoganda fiesta
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:43 PM   #17896
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Likes (Received): 2829

[IMG]http://i44.************/jttg6d.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i43.************/2w3yl8p.jpg[/IMG]

That's steep http://www.gulfnews.com/FreeholdWeek.../10308804.html

[IMG]http://i41.************/2qdwxv6.jpg[/IMG]
Old May 7th, 2009, 12:15 AM   #17897
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

Finally T/O...
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:21 AM   #17898
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Likes (Received): 2829

[IMG]http://i42.************/vsm69d.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i43.************/2d7iko3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i41.************/35cr5mt.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.gulfnews.com/gngalleries/index.html
Parisian Girl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #17899
Monkey9000
£€$$ is more

Likes (Received): 338

Those first 2 photos are the business!
Monkey9000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #17900
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10117

yes from countless plans and photograpic evidence, it seems burj dubai is 818m. if CTBUH decide to measure it from lower concourse , it will be 824m. with light beacons, we add 600mm. not sure if these will be counted.

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae