daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 27th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #18261
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident View Post
Just my opinion which no doubt will attract crtiticism, but I feel a final top out in September is on the cards, or maybe a New Year point for surprise celebration.
I think the same, still not reached the final height.
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #18262
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

wow, look at the height of index behind BD on the first pic.

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #18263
gerald.d

Likes (Received): 44

234/Imre -

I have a very detailed photograph of the top of the Burj taken from the Address Hotel side that I've taken for my panorama project. Not sure if it will help your theory, but I'll load it up and link to it in a moment.
gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #18264
gerald.d

Likes (Received): 44

Here you go (won't post this directly as it's rather large) -

http://gerald.d.googlepages.com/IMG_1910.jpg
gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #18265
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

The terraces on top of the teers are completed, the BMU are already on top of them. The spire is NOT going anywhere.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #18266
percy07
Shallow & Pedantic

Likes (Received): 33

Without doing major alterations to the top tiers, it would just look out of proportion - I also think it's at final height. As I said earlier, there's no point going higher anyway.
percy07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #18267
wearethefuture

I agree, I think that there is a large portion of the spire encased inside the top steel structure (it was suggested that this could mean it could still be jacked up further) to give the spire more stability and keep the building more rigid. Jeez isn't 818m enough, people are just getting greedy now .
wearethefuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #18268
Teh_Mascot

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post

hey man.. .so.. um..

theres a Light bulb that went out on the tip top of that spire.. yeaaaa im gonna need you to hop up there and replace it.
Teh_Mascot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #18269
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 241068

26 May:
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3566973091/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3566973087/

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick123 View Post

But it isn't a single elevator, is it? There should be multiple lifts with some connections or exchange stations.. But I don't understand the 190+ buttons then.. Any ideas?
162 floors + the mechanical, metal floors... this lift is operational those buttons are real
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #18270
wearethefuture

Those buttons are a bit silly in my opinion why didn't they just have 0-9 and a 3 digit display to save having to make nearly 200 buttons!?
wearethefuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #18271
234sale

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
234/Imre -

I have a very detailed photograph of the top of the Burj taken from the Address Hotel side that I've taken for my panorama project. Not sure if it will help your theory, but I'll load it up and link to it in a moment.
fire away G... I wanna see.

When is emaar giving you a vip trip to the top?
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #18272
234sale

Quote:

I'm geting a bandwidth error.... Seems your to popular
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #18273
234sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearethefuture View Post
Those buttons are a bit silly in my opinion why didn't they just have 0-9 and a 3 digit display to save having to make nearly 200 buttons!?
The lift has voice print identification as well remeber....
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #18274
l'eau
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearethefuture View Post
pomposity, desu.
l'eau no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #18275
snapdragon

Likes (Received): 368

dubai sux! I have been there . 10 years from now. all of us wonder why the heck did we buy into this dubai bubble. it was so bloody obvious :-? Like we now wonder about the dot com bubble.
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #18276
Mafia Maš˘nica
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
dubai sux! I have been there . 10 years from now. all of us wonder why the heck did we buy into this dubai bubble. it was so bloody obvious :-? Like we now wonder about the dot com bubble.
I love it. Reminds me a big, enormous toy.
Mafia Maš˘nica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #18277
sundrop74
Skyscraper Aficionado

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
a) Why would they clad fully around the spire as can be seen in the top three levels of steelwork? Is this an additional 18m or so to be added?
I have often wondered the same thing. It doesn't make sense unless it's going to rise further. I don't think they would even need the crane. Just jack the spire and attach it to the top unfinished steel floors.

Dubai is CRAZY, so nothing would surprise me at this point!
sundrop74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 01:54 AM   #18278
Hightech Pro

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
26 May:
162 floors + the mechanical, metal floors... this lift is operational those buttons are real
level 195 would be somewehre near the tip of the spire though... how big are the chances that there is a lift inside a 1.1m diameter tube?

dont believe everything you see, even in dubai.

we have seen photos of a ladder inside the spire, there is no lift. there is not even a lift in the whole upper section of the steel structure.

Just closely watch culwullas diagram, the highest lift motor room is at level 162 or something like that. Fury knows the exact position.
Hightech Pro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 04:19 AM   #18279
noms78

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:

What sort of lens were you using for in this shot taken by 5dm2? My guess is the 100-400 IS? It would be a good idea to shoot in RAW to extract more detail if you already had not done so
noms78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:36 AM   #18280
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
I guess I will get shot down from a great height (pardon the pun) for stating that IMO the BD is not yet topped out and that the statement that the BD will be raised to a greater height in the very near future could well be true.
I look at the structure on a daily basis from every room in my apartment, and it does not look to be in proportion with the extent of the set back extent at spire level.
Some questions with regards to the pic below.

a) Why would they clad fully around the spire as can be seen in the top three levels of steelwork? Is this an additional 18m or so to be added?
b) The statements about doors already in place can be easily remedied as we have already seen by the filling in off the unclad areas throughout the structure.
c) The steel preparation on the top level is not set up to adjoin with the cladding already in place and there are no fitting areas on the existing cladding already in place.
d) The set backs that exist at the moment do not bring the tower at the moment to a gradual taper.

Is there spire inside the structure to support the height increase I think the pic below explains that yes there is.

Just my opinion which no doubt will attract crtiticism, but I feel a final top out in September is on the cards, or maybe a New Year point for surprise celebration.
Hi OTR.

I will begin by repeating what I said in an earlier post about this:
It is not impossible but at this point - not bloody likely.

As a prelude to discussing your points, lets consider these.
1 - I find it hard to believe the pinnacle and pinnacle pipe have been hanging on the jacking lines and resting on the guide wheels since jacking was completed on Jan. 17. I mean they could have welded it into place and then cut it loose to jack more but why - it seems like a waste of time.
2 - Why not jack it to top out in Jan. while it was hanging on the lines ?
3 - I can't remember the numbers but in a prev. post I did the math showing that the base of the pinnacle pipe was only 1.6 meters above the concrete before jacking and the final height would be 818 when the base was jacked up to the floor of section 20B (where it is now).

OK - your points:
a - The cladding does not go all the way around the pinnacle pipe on tier 23. Tier 23 is the top 3 sections of the steelwork. I have pics that clearly show the cladding that faces the larger wing (the steelwork) is open. The bigger wing's cladding will meet up with what is there as planned.
b - True - the doors could just be filled in by another piece of cladding for some of the larger wings but the hatches for which ever tiers they would be extending would have to be welded over and cut in a new spot - though not impossible, would be very bad planning.
c - The terrace lines up with the bottom of the cladding as it does with all other tiers. It looks to me there is provision for a door to get out onto the terrace of the larger wing. The plan always has been to go from inside the pinnacle pipe through 2 doors (one to get into the small wing) to get out onto the terrace.
d - The tier heights make sense to me. Tiers 13 to 23 are approx. 20 m., Tiers 24 to 29 are approx. 10 m., and tier 30 is approx. 20 m. We know I have the actual heights but for simplicity sake these will do. Perhaps tiers 24 to 26 with the small wings look like the should be 20 m. like the tiers below to you ? To me they go with the 3 tiers above with all 6 at approx. 10 m.
- Yes there is alot of pinnacle pipe inside the spire. The pipe including the pinnacle is 142.7 m. long from the top down to section 20B.

This jacking would have to be done before the crane is lowered any from where it is now. The would have to add small half wings to tiers 22 and 23 - not just cladding. Also it would have to be done before the cladding is buttoned up on the top cladded tiers - before a month or so.

I think the article is either another in a long line of bullshit from Emaar to keep people guessing or another journalist confusing a telescopic pinnacle verses one that was jacked into place. As I said earlier it is not impossible but at this late stage I just can't see it. I respect your opinion OTR and Imre's. I would welcome more jacking and therefore a higher height but I am more than happy with 818.0 (as per the plans) or perhaps a little more (as per the CTBUH measurement when they do it).

In conclusion I think top out was achieved on Jan. 17 '09. Since then the pinnacle pipe has been welded into place. Cladding, crane disassembly, landscaping, and fitout is what is happening this year.

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae