daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 16th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #18601
234sale

Likes (Received): 24

[IMG]http://i40.************/t0rdhu.jpg[/IMG]
Today
Here is the link for your file, which will be available for 7 Days.
http://www.yousendit.com/download/cm...UnF0d0dGa1E9PQ
5.08M

Last edited by 234sale; June 16th, 2009 at 05:00 PM.
234sale no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #18602
SpaceScraper
SpaceScraper

Likes (Received): 8

From CTBUH website:
By Sona Nambiar on Monday, May 25, 2009

The cranes atop the Burj Dubai will be dismantled by August this year, according to a senior Emaar executive.

"The project is expected to open by the end of the year," said Greg Sang, Project Director at Emaar Properties. "But we are still looking at all of the programming elements. After lowering all the cranes in August, we still have to finish all the fitouts, As of now, the basic core and shell is all finished in Burj Dubai. But every floor is at a different stage of being completed."

The groundbreaking for Burj Dubai occurred in September 2004 and completion was expected by late 2008. But in June 2008, Emaar admitted to a delay, "We believe that a completion date of September 2009 is possible and reasonable for a project of this global magnitude and significance," said Mohamed Ali Alabbar, Chair?man, Emaar Properties.

Meanwhile, the market is rife with speculations about the height of Burj Dubai when completed. It is reportedly standing at 818 metres with rumours adrift about the number 888 being the favourite number of Emaar's Chairman. The developer is tight-lipped about the final figure and had officially confirmed that the building has reached 780 metres in height by end-December 2008. "From ground level, to what you see now up to the spire, is more than 800m tall," said Sang in an exclusive interview with Emirates Business.

Web-media and others are also talking about the possibility of raising and lowering the spire like the Taipei 101. This could reverse all speculation about a new height by the end of the year. The spire was visible on the building in the third week of December 2008 and since then a beacon has also been installed on the top.

"That is another rumour that we are not going to comment on. We don't need to raise or lower the spire if it is a windy day. What we have built has been designed for every situation," added Sang. "Yes, it is possible to jack up the spire from the inside of the building. That is how we built it."

So will that change the rumoured height? "We are not going to comment about the future," said Sang.

Burj Dubai is part of the $20 billion (Dh73.4bn) Burj Dubai development, which includes a shopping mall, hotels and residential buildings. When completed, the building will meet all four criteria listed by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH), which classifies the world's tallest structures. CTBUH measures the height of buildings to the structural top, the highest occupied floor, the top of the roof and the tip of the spire, pinnacle, antenna, mast or flagpole.

"The building has more than 160 floors," said Sang. "The tiers above the floors starting from Tier 24 are the maintenance areas for the spire. We are still working on the project and the cladding is still not finished."

Sang expects to see all the cranes come down in August. "It should be all done by early August. The last crane is coming down slowly because it is still working, while it is lowering itself down. It is lifting up cladding panels," said Sang.

"During construction, we had three big tower cranes of 25 tonne capacity, which we call M1, M2 and M3. The building is reducing in size as you go up. It reached a certain point where they could not fit anymore. We took two of them down and they were dismantled component by component. The last one is still up there and it needs to come down. Right now, it is 700m above ground."

The first process is to bring it to Level 159. "You have a recovery crane on Level 159 called R1. The crane can climb itself down by removing sections of masts – it has a hydraulic system within it. The R1 crane will start to dismantle it component by component. The boom is in sections – around two to three metres long each. It will lower the pieces down to the transfer level 99, which has a deck. The M3 crane will lower them down to the ground. It is the one that was at the top and we moved it down to L99 to help with the operations."

A second recovery crane called the R2 is at SDD5/15. "Once M1 is gone, R2 takes down R1 the same way down to 99 and then down to the ground. The R2 will take it down in the hoist to level 99," said Sang. "At Level 99, it takes down the M3 and then lowers it down to the ground. The R2 goes down the hoist to the ground level and the cranes will be off the Burj Dubai."
SpaceScraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #18603
Dequal
Architect

Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceScraper View Post
From CTBUH website:
By Sona Nambiar on Monday, May 25, 2009

The cranes atop the Burj Dubai will be dismantled by August this year, according to a senior Emaar executive.

Nice detailled crane dismantle description!
Old June 16th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #18604
Nahemah
scaredy-cat?

On these pictures its so shiny that it is actully looks like another building.
Nahemah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #18605
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

9 floors of cladding left.

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #18606
Desert Diver
Just add water

Likes (Received): 215

Here some HDR pics I took just now at Business Bay

And a panorama stitched from 2 HDR pics:

Large version (2968x1200): http://www.quetschluft.de/dubai/BusinessBay_HDR_q.jpg
Desert Diver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #18607
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10144

great shots
diagram update

poster size top>>>
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3361/...45af93a5_o.jpg

image hosted on flickr
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:38 AM   #18608
percy07
Shallow & Pedantic

Likes (Received): 33

Stunning photos Desert Diver, that panorama is breathtaking.

Are they going to remove the red beacons from the tower once construction has been completed? Or does it have to have them due to it's size and indeed height? Just seems like a bit of overkill at the moment..
percy07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:44 AM   #18609
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Keep in mind he's shooting an HDR series of photos. It'll strongly accentuate any light available more than likely with the relatively slow shutter speeds he's using. If those beacons happen to be lighting toward the direction of the camera, their flare and power will appear to be far stronger and brighter than what they are in reality. Great shots Desert Diver!
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #18610
VRS

Likes (Received): 11525

what a panorama of Dubai at night...
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:34 AM   #18611
percy07
Shallow & Pedantic

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Link View Post
Keep in mind he's shooting an HDR series of photos. It'll strongly accentuate any light available more than likely with the relatively slow shutter speeds he's using. If those beacons happen to be lighting toward the direction of the camera, their flare and power will appear to be far stronger and brighter than what they are in reality. Great shots Desert Diver!
More referring to the amount of red beacons, not the intensity. It's like a Christmas tree... It ruins the sophisticated look of the Burj, in my opinion. Hope they are temporary, as I'm sure one or two are on the cranes.
percy07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #18612
Land Man

Likes (Received): 0

Dark Floors

I'm still surprised at how many floors are still completely dark at night with no work lights or anything at all. I guess they are not having night shift crews working the interior finishing at all...one would think most of the main electrical feeds and breaker boxes would be in by now for most of the building.

Many buildings at this stage seem to be all lit up at night with work lights etc...

Just an observation.
Land Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #18613
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50831

image hosted on flickr

Wowww
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #18614
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50831

I ♥ Dubai

image hosted on flickr
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #18615
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 241076

Quote:
Originally Posted by 234sale View Post
It was a very nice photo @234sale, but i have done some changes, i hope dont mind...
unfortunately photobucket resizes to small one, anyway:
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #18616
Jude12
Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 43

Nice work Christos!

USTArchitecture
Jude12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #18617
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasis-Bangkok View Post
image hosted on flickr

Wowww

someone should add the kingdom tower, jeddah 1,1 km U/C

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=525819
GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #18618
234sale

Likes (Received): 24

nice pic christos,,,
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:32 PM   #18619
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by percy07 View Post
More referring to the amount of red beacons, not the intensity. It's like a Christmas tree... It ruins the sophisticated look of the Burj, in my opinion. Hope they are temporary, as I'm sure one or two are on the cranes.
I'm affraid they will be to stay there. Tall buildings = ALLOT of red beacons
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #18620
bledi
سبحان الله و بحمده

Likes (Received): 285

mardi 16 juin

bledi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae