daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 15th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #19201
whoami

Likes (Received): 8

touch down dubai. i failed to capture BD from the air.
whoami no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #19202
Zollern

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca
Duabai Marina on the left and Jumeirah Lake Towers on the right.
...with Sheikh Zayed Road running down the middle.
The pic's probably about six months old but gives a great overview.
Most things in the picture have been built in the last few years.

Last edited by Zollern; July 15th, 2009 at 11:59 PM.
Zollern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:12 AM   #19203
_Barca_

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zollern View Post
...with Sheikh Zayed Road running down the middle.
Of course.
_Barca_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #19204
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Likes (Received): 2829

Burj Dubai to open in Dec

by Andy Sambidge on Sunday, 12 July 2009

Burj Dubai, the tallest tower in the world, will not be completed until December, it emerged on Sunday.

Previous reports had linked the mega structure with a "soft opening" in September to coincide with the start of operations on Dubai Metro.

But the website of UAE daily The National reported that it would not open until December, citing an Emaar spokesperson.

The report also said a contractor on the project had said some external work on the building still needed to be finished, as well as completion of the internal fit-out.

Last month, a top official with construction firm Arabtec told Arabian Business that he believed the apartments at the tower would be ready for a September opening.

“The spire is done, what you can see now is its maximum height. On the issue of finishing, the cranes are being removed, the cladding is almost done. I believe it will be finished on time,” chief financial officer Ziad Makhzoumi said.

Emaar has been tight-lipped over the final height of the Burj Dubai, which is thought to have topped out earlier this year at 818m.

More than 1,000 specially commissioned pieces of art will adorn the interiors of Burj Dubai.

Pride of place in the iconic structure’s residential lobby will be an artwork featuring 196 bronze and brass alloy cymbals - representing the 196 countries of the world - suspended on titanium rods anchored at the bottom of two pools.

Visitors to the lobby will be able to hear a distinct timbre as the cymbals, which are plated with 18-carat gold, are struck by dripping water, intended to mimic the sound of water falling on leaves.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/56175...to-open-in-dec
Parisian Girl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:59 AM   #19205
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10140

shame the mighty burj wont open on 9/9/09. Atleast it will be this year.dec sometime?
just on BMUs. im pretty sure the BMUs will be wheeled inside the area next to terrace it occupies? thus the openings next to them.
latest diagram
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by CULWULLA; July 16th, 2009 at 02:10 AM.
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #19206
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
shame the mighty burj wont open on 9/9/09. Atleast it will be this year.dec sometime?
just on BMUs. im pretty sure the BMUs will be wheeled inside the area next to terrace it occupies? thus the openings next to them.
Shame alright, but IMHO, a rushed job is not good, there can't/shouldn't be any compromise when it comes to a quality finish on this magnificent building. No short cuts - Burj Dubai has to be nothing short of spectacular on completion! We can all live with such a delay, just as long as the end result is worth waiting for.
Old July 16th, 2009, 01:33 AM   #19207
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Global recruitment drive for Armani Hotel Dubai

by Tom Arnold on Tuesday, 14 July 2009

Six hundred hospitality professionals are to be recruited to work at Armani Hotel Dubai, the luxury hotel to be located within Burj Dubai.

A recruitment drive spanning 16 countries will take place to ensure the hotel is served by a cosmopolitan team of staff, according to a statement on Tuesday by Armani Hotels & Resorts, a partnership between Dubai developer Emaar Properties and Italian fashion and luxury goods group Giorgio Armani.

The hotel will occupy concourse level to level eight, in addition to levels 38 and 39 of the tower, which will become the world’s tallest tower once complete.

Further hotels under the same portfolio will be opened in Milan in Italy, Marassi in Egypt, and Marrakech in Morocco, with New York, Shanghai and London other international destinations to be targeted, according to the statement.

A total of 160 guestrooms and suites will feature within Armani Hotel Dubai, which has ben personally designed by Giorgio Armani.

It will offer restaurants, a conference and banqueting facility, night club, spa, chocolate and sweets shop, florist and gallery.

Burj Dubai also features the Armani Residences Dubai, serviced residences designed by Armani.

It emerged in a media report on Sunday that Burj Dubai will not be completed until December, contrary to media reports linking the mega structure with a “soft opening” in September to coincide with the start of operations on Dubai Metro.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/56201...ni-hotel-dubai
Old July 16th, 2009, 04:50 AM   #19208
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisian Girl View Post
Shame alright, but IMHO, a rushed job is not good, there can't/shouldn't be any compromise when it comes to a quality finish on this magnificent building. No short cuts - Burj Dubai has to be nothing short of spectacular on completion! We can all live with such a delay, just as long as the end result is worth waiting for.
Hi PG.

Well said.

I think all the comments on Imre's buddies interior shots are a little premature. I'm sure when all is said and done the interior will look good. Just can't tell me they would be satisfied with shoddy fitouts in the WTS and their flagship.

On another note - the press releases .........
BLAH BLAH BLAH ..............
Knowing they (Emaar) knew all along the completion date was far later than the previous numerous press releases about completion leaves me a tad pessimistic. Couple that with all the bullshit releases about the height and telescopic pinnacles and what not I have little faith in the press. I think most times they don't have a f$%#en' clue what they are talking about. They should come here and get informed before releasing anything. Mind you I see most of them are including 818 in their spiels - I wonder where they got that number ......

Old July 16th, 2009, 06:15 AM   #19209
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
BLAH BLAH BLAH ..............
Knowing they (Emaar) knew all along the completion date was far later than the previous numerous press releases about completion leaves me a tad pessimistic.

from Vanhenrik, Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhenrik View Post

werius time tabels

awesley they are a litle bit behind ! aprox 3 weeaks ! becous the ramadhan !
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 08:13 AM   #19210
gerald.d

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Difficult to say. More logical it would be to say that it is pollution, but then why it would be more dense on the desert side?
It's definitely polution. Off-shore wind is the reason for it being more dense inland.

Guessing from the air quality, I'd say those photos were taken back in April.

Here's another shot showing the clearly visible polution back then -

gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #19211
skyscraper100
>:

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisian Girl View Post

Burj Dubai, the tallest tower in the world, will not be completed until December, it emerged on Sunday.

Previous reports had linked the mega structure with a "soft opening" in September to coincide with the start of operations on Dubai Metro.

But the website of UAE daily The National reported that it would not open until December, citing an Emaar spokesperson.

The report also said a contractor on the project had said some external work on the building still needed to be finished, as well as completion of the internal fit-out.

Last month, a top official with construction firm Arabtec told Arabian Business that he believed the apartments at the tower would be ready for a September opening.

“The spire is done, what you can see now is its maximum height. On the issue of finishing, the cranes are being removed, the cladding is almost done. I believe it will be finished on time,” chief financial officer Ziad Makhzoumi said.

Emaar has been tight-lipped over the final height of the Burj Dubai, which is thought to have topped out earlier this year at 818m.

More than 1,000 specially commissioned pieces of art will adorn the interiors of Burj Dubai.

Pride of place in the iconic structure’s residential lobby will be an artwork featuring 196 bronze and brass alloy cymbals - representing the 196 countries of the world - suspended on titanium rods anchored at the bottom of two pools.

Visitors to the lobby will be able to hear a distinct timbre as the cymbals, which are plated with 18-carat gold, are struck by dripping water, intended to mimic the sound of water falling on leaves.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/56175...to-open-in-dec
oh, so the opening on 9/9/09 is cancelled
skyscraper100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #19212
Archi Dejure

Likes (Received): 0

They need more time,moooore time... oh,I thing they cancelled it meybe after 4 month's.. ( sorry for my bad english language )
Archi Dejure no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #19213
Dark Matter
I'm Everywhere

Likes (Received): 21

Being so close to being finished I don't think even if Emaar went bankrupt that it would stop.
Dark Matter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #19214
234sale

Likes (Received): 24

[IMG]http://i29.************/2r3fkhy.jpg[/IMG]
Old July 16th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #19215
King of Construction
skyscraperized

Likes (Received): 254

This pic by Gerald.D deserves a repost. It's made with his new lens, it looks soooo high. Much higher than in the other pics, but some sort of to slim. The width and heigth aren't in the right proportions it seems:

I just found the pic now, didn't see it before. Thanks Gerald.

Visited countries: Austria-Belgium-Bosnia & Herzegovina-Bulgaria-Canada-Croatia-Czech Republic-England-France-Germany-Greece-Hong Kong-Italy-Liechtenstein- Luxembourg
Malaysia-Montenegro-Morocco-the Netherlands-Poland-Serbia-Singapore-Spain- Switzerland-Turkey-United Arab Emirates-United States of America-Wales
King of Construction no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #19216
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

Fantastic fountain shots Altin!

I would think the clear glass is an observatory level of some sort. I'd hike up there for sure.

The glass is mirrored on the other panels, right? Isn't this why the clear panels stand out so much?
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #19217
Barian_Boy
The Last Auror

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Construction View Post
This pic by Gerald.D deserves a repost. It's made with his new lens, it looks soooo high. Much higher than in the other pics, but some sort of to slim. The width and heigth aren't in the right proportions it seems:

i could be wrong but seems to me that the spire is a little bit leaning, isn't it?
Barian_Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #19218
Dark Matter
I'm Everywhere

Likes (Received): 21

It could be three things.

An illusion where the white spire has a bit to the left making the slimmer right appear deformed (curved).

Another illusion (one that I've cleared up before here)

Or the new lens that Gerald is using.
Dark Matter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #19219
Juan Pilgrim

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:

Burj Dubai, the tallest tower in the world, will not be completed until December...
The original date was 09/09/09!

Last edited by Juan Pilgrim; July 16th, 2009 at 07:07 PM.
Juan Pilgrim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #19220
paaulo

Likes (Received): 16

01/01/ 2."010"

it is also a nice date!
paaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae