daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #19801
Abdallah K.
Under the Beirut Sun

Likes (Received): 7

the lake needs some serious cleaning
Abdallah K. no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #19802
London21

Likes (Received): 42

the sand in the lake spoils the whole look of downtown development. surely they'll do something about it?
London21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:25 AM   #19803
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Library User View Post
Above L160Mezz3 - Start of Tier 18

How does this space look - are there floors, or is it an open space all the way up, or physical floors at the start of each tier ?

We know there is a stairway with landings at each 6.4 meters - or 3.2 m,
but apart from this what proceeds from the landings ?

The spire cylinder itself starts at 20B and has a ladder inside, but outside of that cylinder, there's still a lot of space to have other substance and function. From T24 and up, there's a small terrace at the start of each tier.

How will these levels be called going forward in the operating building ?
Will they be given level numbers, or will they keep the references to Tiers such as 20B or 21A ? This would leave two ways of referring to levels in the operating building by staff working in the spire - confusing ?

Suppose two or more men are up there talking by cellphone - where are you ?
etc.

Who knows anything ?

Thank you
remember lifts access stops at lev162/t18. public office levels stop at lev159.
above this are the staircases that rise up from tier18 or lev162..
i think they are enclosed steel framed?. there is just empty void space outside of the stairwells rising up thru the spire structure. this stops at tier 24. then you need to climb up spire ladder to continue.
i guess each of these landings will have numbered as a tier.not floors.
fury may know more
cheers
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #19804
Kamstein

Likes (Received): 3

[IMG]http://i28.************/wa52za.jpg[/IMG]

At first I admired your creativity with the beer cans, but now I'm becoming disturbed by your desire to stack things

Awesome, though
Kamstein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:21 AM   #19805
Killatown

Likes (Received): 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
the tower is amazing is so big.
Killatown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 07:30 AM   #19806
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town Resident View Post
Cranes are still lifting.

The spire has now belended into the skyl;ine and at this early stage is difficult to see from a long distance due to the dirt accumulated. It needs a good clean now.
Hi OTR.

Thanx for the reply bud. Without the top platform and its monorail for a BMU the pinnacle will probably remain dirty ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Library User
Number 1 - The mech floors have always been cladded later than the regular levels in their area - and since 155/6 are mech levels - maybe there is some large equipment to be lifted for installation into these spaces. It's not just cladding, as most of that is above the crane reach.

Number 2 - Could there be a secret plan to install a top platform or some other embellishment (maybe by helicopter) that could include a BMU, and also serve to increase the height by a small amount ?

Number 3 - The comment of "poor" (economically ) raises the question of how the quality of the work will come out - or are these related at all ?

Maybe the lack of pictures is a reflection of how tight the security is inside the tower
Hi Library.

1 - Yes I am aware there is more than the cladding for the cranes to deal with. I was just asking the Dubai guys if the cranes were still working.
2 - There could be and most likely is - many more secret plans as this project is the "king" of secrecy ... I don't believe there will be a top platform now or any helicopter action. I was holding some hope for the top platform but after seeing the vid from up there I am convinced the top of the pinnacle is complete.
3 - My comment on the poor workers was just to say they probably can't afford to be spending money on cameras. I don't think their quality of work is anywhere near poor just because they are not wealthy ... No doubt the security is tight and I'm sure the workers have been told if they distribute any pics they will lose their jobs. My thought was more a desire to see more interior shots which may be fulfilled if there were more cameras in the worker population on this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Library User
Above L160Mezz3 - Start of Tier 18

How does this space look - are there floors, or is it an open space all the way up, or physical floors at the start of each tier ?

We know there is a stairway with landings at each 6.4 meters - or 3.2 m,
but apart from this what proceeds from the landings ?

The spire cylinder itself starts at 20B and has a ladder inside, but outside of that cylinder, there's still a lot of space to have other substance and function. From T24 and up, there's a small terrace at the start of each tier.

How will these levels be called going forward in the operating building ?
Will they be given level numbers, or will they keep the references to Tiers such as 20B or 21A ? This would leave two ways of referring to levels in the operating building by staff working in the spire - confusing ?

Suppose two or more men are up there talking by cellphone - where are you ?
etc.
By the looks of the far from complete set of prints I have there is a concrete floor at each section that has a terrace. As Cul said the staircase only goes to tier 23 and has landings every 3.2m. I also agree with Cul that above the named levels they will probably use the tier and section numbers.

Nice updates 234 and Imre - nice shots by joed also.

We can see podium zone A to the right that has the entrance to the office lobby on the concourse level and podium zone B on the left that has the entrance to the residence and observation elevator lobbies on the ground level. Zone B landscaping is really coming along - looking to be over 50 % done. Zone A has further to go as it is still used as a staging area for the crane on level 99. Some interesting elements taking shape all the way around the base - spectacular is a better word. Some grass, sidewalks, and bushes aren't going to cut it for the landscaping around this edifice. On the far side that we can't see is podium zone C that has the entrance to the hotel lobby on level 1. Previous shots have shown us the landscaping there is perhaps the furthest along. Between zones B and C are some cool looking elements as well - some of which is off to the left of the shot.

I noticed the small triangular building on this side of the pool annex before (near the bottom of the shot). It is not in any of the plans or drawings I have. I wonder what its use will be ?

Nice to have some shots showing some work in progress again. It allows my interest and love for this thing to come flowing out - ahhh - feels good ...

Old August 25th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #19807
234sale

Likes (Received): 24

[IMG]http://i30.************/55176c.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i29.************/28h0sr4.jpg[/IMG]

This morning around 9 ish
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #19808
234sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
From 30th floor of the Residences, Tower 1 (W3)

Repost from http://www.skyscrapercity.com/newrep...ply&p=41742580 UAE thread
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #19809
Coinpeace

Likes (Received): 13

the waterways at the base are coming!!!
Coinpeace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #19810
Land Man

Likes (Received): 0

A Security Center Cop Shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
?

I noticed the small triangular building on this side of the pool annex before (near the bottom of the shot). It is not in any of the plans or drawings I have. I wonder what its use will be ?
Just a wild-ass guess but it sure looks like a security center of some kind like for checking incoming trucks & vehicles and keeping an eye on things...Is that adjacent walled area under construction a cop shop garage? It just feels like that especially with that booth like top on it with widows all around...but that's just the vibe. I am sure they will have a ga-zillion CCTV securityi cameras everywhere so who needs an observation booth?
We will see.
Land Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #19811
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Thats what I was thinking with the security passing point between the small structure and the BD wing.
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #19812
erPiadda
iamcapohorn...

Likes (Received): 1

Window washer will have a permanent job on this building and will became rich
Old August 25th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #19813
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by erPiadda View Post
Window washer will have a permanent job on this building and will became rich
became rich with 1000-1200 dhs/month salary ?

Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #19814
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 241009

Burj Dubai's entrance, the outside area its start taking the final stage of it, day by day
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
Maybe time to bring this up-to-date?

Something like this:
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #19815
MissyC

hmmm...it doesn't impress me at all.... somehow or another, the place looks so empty of soul, a spirit, the so called " X " factor.

I use to travel around the globe to behold the great structures and beautiful skylines, but each time I decide to visit Dubai, I rather change my mind and book a trip to either NYC, Chicago, Toronto or Hong Kong! I don't know, but again, Dubai has not been able to impress that kind of tourist like me... It is a beautiful building indeed, very impressive, but it is about Dubai itself. ... I don't understand why so much effort and investment in a structure or structures around it tha won't fit the place and why not to look at what Dubai really is and work on that part to construct buildings that match its 1001 night style old downtown core, its soeks, bazars, the Dubai Creek etc etc. Dubai is fun, tha for sure, it has history and it seems like all the attention draws away towards a some sort of Vegas or Taipei -ish " thing" .
Why not work on the old part of the city, make that become a 21st fairy land vibrant and energetic place to visit and hang around where one is free and regenerates itself and why they just add a provocative way too tall structure as to impress the World?!
We all know that Dubai is very rich, has lots of potentials and provides many opportunities but is it necessary to turn it into a laboratory for architects?
MissyC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #19816
234sale

Totally Disagree...

It has Soul and Spirit, just a different kind.

Downtown is one of the many districts, Try Deira, Bur Dubai or Kahrama.

You can walk though different places, some times you feel like your in India, sometimes LA...so many different places... If you want the orginial Dubai experiance, Try Jumeriah Beach Road.

I have been here 5 years,,, yes its not London, New York, Moscow,,,ect,,,, It is Dubai, as an expat I am proud of it.

[IMG]http://i29.************/if8v80.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by 234sale; August 25th, 2009 at 02:43 PM.
234sale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #19817
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

FROM SKY NEWS and also linked to a feature on SKY News being broadcast today.

The Burj Dubai - the world's tallest tower - is proving more recession resilient than other less prestigious addresses, according to Middle East property experts.

A two-bedroom apartment here sells for £1.1m
Apartment prices in the tower are stabilising and continue to be some of the most expensive in Dubai, experts say, with a two-bedroom apartment on the 57th floor available for £1.1m.
In contrast, the market is showing less signs of recovery elsewhere in the Emirate.
"This is something we have noticed," said Andrew Chambers, managing director of Asteco, a UAE-based property consultancy.
"As the world has had its financial problems some countries have gone into recession.
"But this is one area where a lot of the development dreams have actually been realised."

The record-breaking glass shard stands in the centre of a 500-acre site named Downtown Burj Dubai - it cost property developers Emaar £12.2bn to guarantee the exclusivity investors crave.
Giorgio Armani designed interiors overlooking the world's largest shopping mall certainly add cache to what is being marketed as the world's most prestigious square kilometre.
Mr Chambers said: "What we are finding is that, while prices have been dropping everywhere across the Middle East, Downtown Burj Dubai is one area where they are still consistently higher than they are in a lot of other areas."
In what has been dubbed "the Burj effect", neighbouring property in the Downtown Burj Dubai district is also benefiting from being close to the record breaking skyscraper.

"The Burj effect is that people are living here, they can commute around here, they see the metro about to open here, and so they have got restaurants, they have got the hotels, they have got all the facilities that they have always been promised.

"I think this has given hope to other areas. It will help this city and I think the Emirates all over."
But not all market observers share Mr Chamber's optimism.
Matthew Green, head of research and consultancy CB Richard Ellis (UAE), thinks the Burj Dubai offers a unique prospect that other Dubai addresses cannot match.
"For the Burj Dubai and the surrounding area, everything is based on the opening of the tallest tower towards the end of the year.
"I think we can look at this as an anomaly in the market. Demand for a prime development is driven by the desire to have something so different.
"It will be the tallest tower in the world for years to come and that is really making it a bit different within the current market.
"Location has always been the key. Exclusive post codes are not recession proof but it seems investors in the world's highest tower can afford to stand a little taller than most."
Old August 25th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #19818
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

[QUOTE=CharlotteJ;41798474]
but it is about Dubai itself. ... I don't understand why so much effort and investment in a structure or structures around it that won't fit the place and why not to look at what Dubai really is and work on that part to construct buildings that match its 1001 night style old downtown core, its soeks, bazars, the Dubai Creek etc etc. Dubai is fun, tha for sure, it has history and it seems like all the attention draws away towards a some sort of Vegas or Taipei -ish " thing" .
Why not work on the old part of the city, make that become a 21st fairy land vibrant and energetic place to visit and hang around where one is free and regenerates itself ...... QUOTE]

I really think you need to have a walk around the Downtown area that is already developed, where the Old Town, The Old Town Island, Souq
Bahar, etc reflects what I have bold font in your post, and the places mentioned by SALE soon to be very accessible through the Metro when it opens.

Like SALE, this is home and has been since the late 70's, I have watched it grow, and no doubt will watch it grow much more into one of the best cities in the world.
Old August 25th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #19819
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
became rich with 1000-1200 dhs/month salary ?

Imre, you included far to much overtime in that figure
Old August 25th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #19820
Nomadd22

Likes (Received): 1

I've never had the ability to blow through a country or city in a week and judge the spiritual and cultural worth of the people and architecture myself. Musta slept through that class in school.
Maybe after two or three months in Dubai, getting lost, finding a few favorite hole in the wall cafes, finding people who don't use the term "friend" loosely and meeting some poor workers who take more pride in their work than most overpaid first world folks, I'll spout a few opinions.
Right now, I'd say every soul living and working in this land has a right to be proud of this building.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrian smith, burj dubai, burj khalifa, downtown, dubai, dubai tower, emaar, megatall, middle east, rascacielos, sarajevo construction, skyscraper, spire, tallest, uae