daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 21st, 2007, 09:42 PM   #21
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5968

There are indeed striking similarities, with the highrise on the right side. But when keeping in mind that this main station in Vienna shall become the center of the Viennese long distance connection towards all sides (with the crossing of at least two TEN lines) for 1.7 mio people, I hope it becomes larger than the station in Hoofddorp.

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2007, 10:54 PM   #22
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Might these three count?
station Cartier

station de la Concorde

terminus Montmorency

'n in 'tween
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 02:47 AM   #23
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

do you mean major rail stations or subways stations as well?
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 03:35 AM   #24
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3674

Train stations = railway stations
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 06:46 AM   #25
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10983

To many North Americans, that still doesn't clarify things. Railway is different than subway despite them both being rail based transportation? This may seem like a silly question to you, but train station refers to intercity and suburban as opposed to subway?
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:28 AM   #26
miamicanes

Likes (Received): 181

Miami Intermodal Center, which includes a Metrorail station and train station for Amtrak, Tri-Rail, and (supposedly) future intercity rail between Miami, Tampa, and Orlando. It's located "across the street" from Miami International Airport, and will be connected to the main terminal by its own peoplemover. The other ~75% of MIC is the new rental car center.

The Metrorail extension is funded, and land acquisition for the right of way is in process right now. The railroad tracks already go to a temporary station at the site, but Amtrak won't be moving in until the rest of MIC is done (sometime around 2010). From what I've heard, Amtrak is fairly excited... it'll be the first brand new, purpose-built station they'll have ever had in their ~35 year history (built for them, as Amtrak, to their specs, instead of merely a faded, decaying relic inherited from some ancient bankrupt railroad). FDOT's intrastate rail planers are keeping a low profile at the moment, but they're quietly working towards launching intermediate-speed (110mph) service between Miami, Orlando, and Tampa (and might actually succeed this time, as long as we don't end up with another HSR debacle to derail the whole thing for another decade).

Admittedly, it's not much compared to the stations in Europe and Asia... but rail travel in America is kind of like a talking horse -- it's not impressive because it can quote Shakespeare... it's impressive because it exists at all

miamicanes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 09:31 AM   #27
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
There are indeed striking similarities, with the highrise on the right side. But when keeping in mind that this main station in Vienna shall become the center of the Viennese long distance connection towards all sides (with the crossing of at least two TEN lines) for 1.7 mio people, I hope it becomes larger than the station in Hoofddorp.
Well, Hoofddorp is just a simple town with 70.000 inhabitants So I don't think it's larger in Hoofddorp!
Old October 22nd, 2007, 09:54 AM   #28
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicanes View Post
Miami Intermodal Center, which includes a Metrorail station and train station for Amtrak, Tri-Rail, and (supposedly) future intercity rail between Miami, Tampa, and Orlando. It's located "across the street" from Miami International Airport, and will be connected to the main terminal by its own peoplemover. The other ~75% of MIC is the new rental car center.

The Metrorail extension is funded, and land acquisition for the right of way is in process right now. The railroad tracks already go to a temporary station at the site, but Amtrak won't be moving in until the rest of MIC is done (sometime around 2010). From what I've heard, Amtrak is fairly excited... it'll be the first brand new, purpose-built station they'll have ever had in their ~35 year history (built for them, as Amtrak, to their specs, instead of merely a faded, decaying relic inherited from some ancient bankrupt railroad). FDOT's intrastate rail planers are keeping a low profile at the moment, but they're quietly working towards launching intermediate-speed (110mph) service between Miami, Orlando, and Tampa (and might actually succeed this time, as long as we don't end up with another HSR debacle to derail the whole thing for another decade).

Admittedly, it's not much compared to the stations in Europe and Asia... but rail travel in America is kind of like a talking horse -- it's not impressive because it can quote Shakespeare... it's impressive because it exists at all
Great news indeed. I just hope this will be just the first in a long row, at least on mid term...
Old October 22nd, 2007, 03:34 PM   #29
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

thanks Miamicane i was going to bring it up but anyways thank you for explaining to them here

anyways as far as new stations go in the united states well i heard that Alanita is getting to do something similar to Miami

its own Intermodal Center like a brand new Major Train Station but with alot of connections

though i wish passenger rail service and freight was alot like the rest of the world here in the states
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:06 PM   #30
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Likes (Received): 123

Rhodesfiled Station, Johannesburg. This is currentl under construction.

Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:08 PM   #31
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

A couple of train stations will be built in South Africa but the problem is the info as it is very difficult to get hold of it. The Stations will be built in preperation for the 2010 Soccer World Cup.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:20 PM   #32
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pule View Post
Rhodesfiled Station, Johannesburg. This is currentl under construction.

Why isn't this new railwaystation connecting the two rail lines one can see in this picture?
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:30 PM   #33
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

One is High Speed Train and other is a Normal train and the main target of the high speed train is to connect finacial hub of the province.

Those are my thoughts.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:58 PM   #34
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pule View Post
One is High Speed Train and other is a Normal train and the main target of the high speed train is to connect finacial hub of the province.

Those are my thoughts.
I see, that would make sense. The one is just a regional line and the other a high priority high speed line.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:36 PM   #35
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
Why isn't this new railwaystation connecting the two rail lines one can see in this picture?
All existing railways in South Africa are "Cape gauge" (3 ft 6 in, or 1.067 mm). The Gautrain line, of which this station is a part, will be built to standard gauge, to allow higher speeds.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 11:48 PM   #36
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gag Halfrunt View Post
All existing railways in South Africa are "Cape gauge" (3 ft 6 in, or 1.067 mm). The Gautrain line, of which this station is a part, will be built to standard gauge, to allow higher speeds.
Thanks for that info, I did not know that.
But by connecting I mean connecting for passengers to transfer from one line to the other and not the trains as such.
Old October 24th, 2007, 02:49 PM   #37
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8823

Those catching the Gautrain will not want to catch a metrorail train. There is no real point in having transfers between the Gautrain and the "metrorail" system as metrorail serves poorer areas of the city in general and isn't used by many of the non-black population. As much as I hate to say it I can see that the Gautrain with its pricing structure is a bit more of an "elitist" project as it passes through the richer formerly white areas of the city. It's primary function is to connect the CBD's of Tshwane (Pretoria) and Jo'berg as well as providing a fast link from the airport.

Metrorail trains in Jo'berg aren't particularly safe, tourists and the like are advised not to catch them. The Gautrain will be 100% safe for passengers on the otherhand.

Last edited by Svartmetall; October 24th, 2007 at 02:59 PM.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #38
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Those catching the Gautrain will not want to catch a metrorail train. There is no real point in having transfers between the Gautrain and the "metrorail" system as metrorail serves poorer areas of the city in general and isn't used by many of the non-black population. As much as I hate to say it I can see that the Gautrain with its pricing structure is a bit more of an "elitist" project as it passes through the richer formerly white areas of the city. It's primary function is to connect the CBD's of Tshwane (Pretoria) and Jo'berg as well as providing a fast link from the airport.

Metrorail trains in Jo'berg aren't particularly safe, tourists and the like are advised not to catch them. The Gautrain will be 100% safe for passengers on the otherhand.
Oh, thats a way of thinking that is completely alien to me. To have reasons why one should not want to connect important distance and metropolitan PT systems...

I am not sure I like that concept in South Africa, but it might make sense for them, I dont know.
Old October 24th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #39
Douly

Likes (Received): 1647

France

New Train Stations:

Orléans: U/C

Strasbourg: almost done

Love this one!

Marseille (St Charles station): almost done

The old station and its famous stairways:

New extension "Halle Honorat"

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Inside Halle Honorat:

Visit the MP2013 official thread on SSP

Visit "La Marseillaise" highrise thread on SSP
http://vimeo.com/104242985#at=27

Last edited by Douly; October 24th, 2007 at 07:33 PM.
Douly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #40
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 202

That one of Strassbourg....OMG fantastic!!