daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old October 21st, 2007, 09:42 PM   #21
Slartibartfas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vedunia
Posts: 11,606
Likes (Received): 5968

There are indeed striking similarities, with the highrise on the right side. But when keeping in mind that this main station in Vienna shall become the center of the Viennese long distance connection towards all sides (with the crossing of at least two TEN lines) for 1.7 mio people, I hope it becomes larger than the station in Hoofddorp.
__________________
"Brexit means Brexit and we are going to make a Titanic success of it.”
Boris Johnson, Foreign Secretary, UK
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2007, 10:54 PM   #22
trainrover
:-x
 
trainrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,787
Likes (Received): 738

Might these three count?
station Cartier



station de la Concorde



terminus Montmorency



'n in 'tween
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 02:47 AM   #23
Songoten2554
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,063
Likes (Received): 87

do you mean major rail stations or subways stations as well?
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 03:35 AM   #24
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!
 
Bitxofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Posts: 37,525
Likes (Received): 3674

Train stations = railway stations
__________________
www.urbanrail.net
Εγώ είμαι ο Νταβόρ!!
David (DavoR for my friends)
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 06:46 AM   #25
isaidso
the new republic
 
isaidso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The United Provinces of America
Posts: 29,754
Likes (Received): 10983

To many North Americans, that still doesn't clarify things. Railway is different than subway despite them both being rail based transportation? This may seem like a silly question to you, but train station refers to intercity and suburban as opposed to subway?
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:28 AM   #26
miamicanes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Miami
Posts: 904
Likes (Received): 181

Miami Intermodal Center, which includes a Metrorail station and train station for Amtrak, Tri-Rail, and (supposedly) future intercity rail between Miami, Tampa, and Orlando. It's located "across the street" from Miami International Airport, and will be connected to the main terminal by its own peoplemover. The other ~75% of MIC is the new rental car center.

The Metrorail extension is funded, and land acquisition for the right of way is in process right now. The railroad tracks already go to a temporary station at the site, but Amtrak won't be moving in until the rest of MIC is done (sometime around 2010). From what I've heard, Amtrak is fairly excited... it'll be the first brand new, purpose-built station they'll have ever had in their ~35 year history (built for them, as Amtrak, to their specs, instead of merely a faded, decaying relic inherited from some ancient bankrupt railroad). FDOT's intrastate rail planers are keeping a low profile at the moment, but they're quietly working towards launching intermediate-speed (110mph) service between Miami, Orlando, and Tampa (and might actually succeed this time, as long as we don't end up with another HSR debacle to derail the whole thing for another decade).

Admittedly, it's not much compared to the stations in Europe and Asia... but rail travel in America is kind of like a talking horse -- it's not impressive because it can quote Shakespeare... it's impressive because it exists at all



miamicanes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 09:31 AM   #27
xlchris
Not much
 
xlchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Haarlem
Posts: 11,087
Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
There are indeed striking similarities, with the highrise on the right side. But when keeping in mind that this main station in Vienna shall become the center of the Viennese long distance connection towards all sides (with the crossing of at least two TEN lines) for 1.7 mio people, I hope it becomes larger than the station in Hoofddorp.
Well, Hoofddorp is just a simple town with 70.000 inhabitants So I don't think it's larger in Hoofddorp!
__________________
"
xlchris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 09:54 AM   #28
Slartibartfas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vedunia
Posts: 11,606
Likes (Received): 5968

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicanes View Post
Miami Intermodal Center, which includes a Metrorail station and train station for Amtrak, Tri-Rail, and (supposedly) future intercity rail between Miami, Tampa, and Orlando. It's located "across the street" from Miami International Airport, and will be connected to the main terminal by its own peoplemover. The other ~75% of MIC is the new rental car center.

The Metrorail extension is funded, and land acquisition for the right of way is in process right now. The railroad tracks already go to a temporary station at the site, but Amtrak won't be moving in until the rest of MIC is done (sometime around 2010). From what I've heard, Amtrak is fairly excited... it'll be the first brand new, purpose-built station they'll have ever had in their ~35 year history (built for them, as Amtrak, to their specs, instead of merely a faded, decaying relic inherited from some ancient bankrupt railroad). FDOT's intrastate rail planers are keeping a low profile at the moment, but they're quietly working towards launching intermediate-speed (110mph) service between Miami, Orlando, and Tampa (and might actually succeed this time, as long as we don't end up with another HSR debacle to derail the whole thing for another decade).

Admittedly, it's not much compared to the stations in Europe and Asia... but rail travel in America is kind of like a talking horse -- it's not impressive because it can quote Shakespeare... it's impressive because it exists at all
...
Great news indeed. I just hope this will be just the first in a long row, at least on mid term...
__________________
"Brexit means Brexit and we are going to make a Titanic success of it.”
Boris Johnson, Foreign Secretary, UK
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 03:34 PM   #29
Songoten2554
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,063
Likes (Received): 87

thanks Miamicane i was going to bring it up but anyways thank you for explaining to them here

anyways as far as new stations go in the united states well i heard that Alanita is getting to do something similar to Miami

its own Intermodal Center like a brand new Major Train Station but with alot of connections

though i wish passenger rail service and freight was alot like the rest of the world here in the states
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:06 PM   #30
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
 
Pule's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: JOHANNESBURG
Posts: 11,395
Likes (Received): 123

Rhodesfiled Station, Johannesburg. This is currentl under construction.







__________________
SOUTH AFRICA my home, SOUTH AFRICA my love.
Pule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:08 PM   #31
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
 
Pule's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: JOHANNESBURG
Posts: 11,395
Likes (Received): 123

A couple of train stations will be built in South Africa but the problem is the info as it is very difficult to get hold of it. The Stations will be built in preperation for the 2010 Soccer World Cup.
__________________
SOUTH AFRICA my home, SOUTH AFRICA my love.
Pule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:20 PM   #32
Slartibartfas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vedunia
Posts: 11,606
Likes (Received): 5968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pule View Post
Rhodesfiled Station, Johannesburg. This is currentl under construction.

Why isn't this new railwaystation connecting the two rail lines one can see in this picture?
__________________
"Brexit means Brexit and we are going to make a Titanic success of it.”
Boris Johnson, Foreign Secretary, UK
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:30 PM   #33
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
 
Pule's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: JOHANNESBURG
Posts: 11,395
Likes (Received): 123

One is High Speed Train and other is a Normal train and the main target of the high speed train is to connect finacial hub of the province.

Those are my thoughts.
__________________
SOUTH AFRICA my home, SOUTH AFRICA my love.
Pule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:58 PM   #34
Slartibartfas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vedunia
Posts: 11,606
Likes (Received): 5968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pule View Post
One is High Speed Train and other is a Normal train and the main target of the high speed train is to connect finacial hub of the province.

Those are my thoughts.
I see, that would make sense. The one is just a regional line and the other a high priority high speed line.
__________________
"Brexit means Brexit and we are going to make a Titanic success of it.”
Boris Johnson, Foreign Secretary, UK
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:36 PM   #35
Gag Halfrunt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 719
Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
Why isn't this new railwaystation connecting the two rail lines one can see in this picture?
All existing railways in South Africa are "Cape gauge" (3 ft 6 in, or 1.067 mm). The Gautrain line, of which this station is a part, will be built to standard gauge, to allow higher speeds.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 11:48 PM   #36
Slartibartfas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vedunia
Posts: 11,606
Likes (Received): 5968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gag Halfrunt View Post
All existing railways in South Africa are "Cape gauge" (3 ft 6 in, or 1.067 mm). The Gautrain line, of which this station is a part, will be built to standard gauge, to allow higher speeds.
Thanks for that info, I did not know that.
But by connecting I mean connecting for passengers to transfer from one line to the other and not the trains as such.
__________________
"Brexit means Brexit and we are going to make a Titanic success of it.”
Boris Johnson, Foreign Secretary, UK
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 02:49 PM   #37
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao
 
Svartmetall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 14,074
Likes (Received): 8823

Those catching the Gautrain will not want to catch a metrorail train. There is no real point in having transfers between the Gautrain and the "metrorail" system as metrorail serves poorer areas of the city in general and isn't used by many of the non-black population. As much as I hate to say it I can see that the Gautrain with its pricing structure is a bit more of an "elitist" project as it passes through the richer formerly white areas of the city. It's primary function is to connect the CBD's of Tshwane (Pretoria) and Jo'berg as well as providing a fast link from the airport.

Metrorail trains in Jo'berg aren't particularly safe, tourists and the like are advised not to catch them. The Gautrain will be 100% safe for passengers on the otherhand.

Last edited by Svartmetall; October 24th, 2007 at 02:59 PM.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #38
Slartibartfas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vedunia
Posts: 11,606
Likes (Received): 5968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Those catching the Gautrain will not want to catch a metrorail train. There is no real point in having transfers between the Gautrain and the "metrorail" system as metrorail serves poorer areas of the city in general and isn't used by many of the non-black population. As much as I hate to say it I can see that the Gautrain with its pricing structure is a bit more of an "elitist" project as it passes through the richer formerly white areas of the city. It's primary function is to connect the CBD's of Tshwane (Pretoria) and Jo'berg as well as providing a fast link from the airport.

Metrorail trains in Jo'berg aren't particularly safe, tourists and the like are advised not to catch them. The Gautrain will be 100% safe for passengers on the otherhand.
Oh, thats a way of thinking that is completely alien to me. To have reasons why one should not want to connect important distance and metropolitan PT systems...

I am not sure I like that concept in South Africa, but it might make sense for them, I dont know.
__________________
"Brexit means Brexit and we are going to make a Titanic success of it.”
Boris Johnson, Foreign Secretary, UK
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #39
Douly
Registered User
 
Douly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Marseille 6ème
Posts: 4,050
Likes (Received): 1647

France

New Train Stations:

Orléans: U/C





Strasbourg: almost done











Love this one!




Marseille (St Charles station): almost done


The old station and its famous stairways:





New extension "Halle Honorat"

image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr




Inside Halle Honorat:

__________________
-> MARSEILLE PROVENCE : European Capital of Culture in 2013 - MP2013
-> MARSEILLE named European city of 2014 by the Academy of Urbanism
-> MARSEILLE - MUCEM wins the 2015 European Museum Prize


Visit the MP2013 official thread on SSP

Visit "La Marseillaise" highrise thread on SSP
http://vimeo.com/104242985#at=27

Last edited by Douly; October 24th, 2007 at 07:33 PM.
Douly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #40
xlchris
Not much
 
xlchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Haarlem
Posts: 11,087
Likes (Received): 202

That one of Strassbourg....OMG fantastic!!
__________________
"
xlchris no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium