daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 18th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #61
lindow

Likes (Received): 4

Kyoto Station

lindow no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #62
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
I can't see why Melbournre-Sydney should not be suitable for high speed rail connections. The short distance air traffic between both cities would pretty much collapse then, as it happened in France.
It would if rail could compete with air, but it's nearly 1000 km from Sydney to Melbourne by rail and that's that's a challenge ... a serious proposal was put up mabe 15 years ago, but it wasn't acted upon.

Melbourne to Adelaide can't even manage a train a day these days ... anyway, not really relevant to this thread.
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 01:39 PM   #63
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 186

The inevitable hike in airfares will fix that, If they built a new HSR corridor, trains could or should be able to connect the two cities in less than for hours. And the travelmarket between Sydney and Melbourne it large enough to justify the investment.

Last edited by gincan; July 19th, 2008 at 03:51 PM.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #64
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardmaster View Post
It would if rail could compete with air, but it's nearly 1000 km from Sydney to Melbourne by rail and that's that's a challenge ... a serious proposal was put up mabe 15 years ago, but it wasn't acted upon.

Melbourne to Adelaide can't even manage a train a day these days ... anyway, not really relevant to this thread.
The air distance is 700 km, at some km more and you should make it probably at least slightly below 1000km. But even 1000km are still feasible. Times up to 4 hours still make sense. It is said in general that times up to 4 hours are competible to aviation.

I disagree that its not relevant. In times like these creating no real alternatives to car and air transit coulf easily become unaffordable luxury. Of course chances for that are limited in Australia, but at least in the southeast there some chances.

Last edited by Slartibartfas; July 19th, 2008 at 02:03 PM.
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #65
ChinaHighspeedRail

Likes (Received): 0

Fat people need to pay extra money because of their overweight for the airplane, but I don't think there will be a issue with travel by trains, So I think the government should build HSR between the big cities because of too many fatty :P
ChinaHighspeedRail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 05:29 PM   #66
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
The air distance is 700 km, at some km more and you should make it probably at least slightly below 1000km. But even 1000km are still feasible. Times up to 4 hours still make sense. It is said in general that times up to 4 hours are competible to aviation.

I disagree that its not relevant. In times like these creating no real alternatives to car and air transit coulf easily become unaffordable luxury. Of course chances for that are limited in Australia, but at least in the southeast there some chances.
I wasn't saying HSR in Australia wasn't relevant: only that it wasn't relevant to "Your Country's Newest train Station".

Considering fuel prices, etc., this may well happen, but the simple truth is, out of 120+ daily regional train services from Melbourne at the moment, only two run through to Sydney, and one every second day to Adelaide. V/Line- the operator of country rail here- has had a bit of commercial nouse, and bundled bus feeder services from interstate, as well as the more remote corners of the state- to fill its trains, which are enjoying a patronage renaissance.

Significantly, prior to the Pope's "World Youth Day" in Sydney, apparently 700 buses set off from Melbourne to Sydney ... the news reports didn't mention planes, trains, or, for that matter, genuine pilgrims on foot.

Anyway ... that isn't about new stations ...
Old July 19th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #67
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardmaster View Post
I wasn't saying HSR in Australia wasn't relevant: only that it wasn't relevant to "Your Country's Newest train Station".
Oh, sorry for that misunderstanding. You are right, it only has limited relevance to that new station.

Quote:
Considering fuel prices, etc., this may well happen, but the simple truth is, out of 120+ daily regional train services from Melbourne at the moment, only two run through to Sydney, and one every second day to Adelaide. V/Line- the operator of country rail here- has had a bit of commercial nouse, and bundled bus feeder services from interstate, as well as the more remote corners of the state- to fill its trains, which are enjoying a patronage renaissance.
Because the time the travel consumes per train today is simply not competitive: A HSL would change that considerably. Of course one should think about public financial support to get the whole thing started. I mean car infrastructure has been subsidized in most countries as well.

Of copurse one needs feeder lines as well, its good to see that progress is made there.

Quote:

Anyway ... that isn't about new stations ...
Not before serious plans turn up for such a line. I better stop now with that OT stuff
Old July 20th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #68
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Indeed. By the way, lindow, Kyoto station is absolutely a site to behold up there ...
Old July 20th, 2008, 02:36 AM   #69
Dale

Likes (Received): 5511

Yardmaster -

When will Melbourne select a new operator for the suburban rail system ? I know that Singapore MRT and Hong Kong KRC were bidding.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #70
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

^ I'm not Yardmaster but I think I can answer this. Expressions of interest for the tender closed on 1 July, so it is still a while before the whole process finishes. The current contracts will finish at the end of next year and the new operator will come in after that.

The bidders for suburban rail are:
Connex/Veolia (France - current operator)
Serco (UK)
Keolis (France)
MTR (Hong Kong)
MRT (Singapore)

As for Sydney-Melbourne HSR - one other big issue that is neglected is the need to cross a mountain range. The last stretch approaching the cities is hard too... both Sydney and Melbourne have busy railway networks and standard gauge trains in Melbourne have to go via somewhat indirect goods lines because the rest of the passenger network is all broad gauge. It can be done, but it isn't all that cheap so it can't compete with the airlines just yet.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 02:15 PM   #71
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8835

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible View Post
^ I'm not Yardmaster but I think I can answer this. Expressions of interest for the tender closed on 1 July, so it is still a while before the whole process finishes. The current contracts will finish at the end of next year and the new operator will come in after that.

The bidders for suburban rail are:
Connex/Veolia (France - current operator)
Serco (UK)
Keolis (France)
MTR (Hong Kong)
MRT (Singapore)
It'll be interesting to see the Serco bid and how successful it will be. They were rather spiteful about the Manchester Metrolink handover to Stagecoach Group Plc - they let maintenance slip on all stock resulting in a couple of high profile derailments after it was announced that they'd lost the tender!
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #72
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

I'm not sure about the specifics of how it all worked at Manchester, but with Melbourne the government still owns the rolling stock so hopefully there would be something in the contract regarding the maintenance of rolling stock. There was a case with the intrastate freight network here where the operator just converted and moved locomotives out of the state because they're not doing that well in Victoria.

On another note, the company that Connex subcontracts maintenance to has actually jumped ship and joined the MTR bid. Fun times ahead for the railway network. Most Melburnians don't understand how the privatised system works though and blame the operators for problems with infrastructure or fleet shortages, which are still both government responsibilities.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 02:55 AM   #73
Wuppeltje

Likes (Received): 968

I love the new station near the football stadium Amsterdam ArenA.

Station Amsterdam Bijlmer ArenA
Cost: € 150.000.000
Completed: November 2007
Architects: Jan van Belkum (Arcadis) & Neven Sidor (Grimshaw)
Awards: BNA Building of the Year 2008, RIBA European Award 2008

Photo © Mark Humphreys
[img]http://*************************/amsterdam/jpgs/bijlmer_station_cmarkhumphreys_grimshaw140408_1.jpg[/img]

Photo © Mark Humphreys
[img]http://*************************/amsterdam/jpgs/bijlmer_station_cmarkhumphreys_grimshaw140408_2.jpg[/img]

By Winbuks:

www.archined.nl

Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:46 AM   #74
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Likes (Received): 123

Centurion's Gautrain Station, its currently under construction.

Old July 24th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #75
cees
billieron

Likes (Received): 10

i like this station only thing i miss is surroundings. it is standing alone in a sea of parkinglots, that's quite a pity to me. station design is looking pretty urban, but only has parkinglots, however, this must be a hubstation isnt it?
cees no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 07:36 PM   #76
genkie456

Likes (Received): 0

renovations/ new stations in belgium:

Leuven:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Luik-guillemains:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Antwerpen:

Last edited by genkie456; August 19th, 2008 at 08:45 PM.
genkie456 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #77
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

The Luik-Guillemains station really look beautiful and very modern. I like it, but it seems to be a bit overwhelming when you look at it for the first time.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:38 AM   #78
VegaM

Likes (Received): 1

Tne New Casablanca-Port Train Station (one of the biggest traffic in Morocco) - Will open in 2010

The New Marrakech Train Station - Will open in september 2008

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
VegaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 12:33 PM   #79
Slartibartfas

^ What a refreshing difference to the generic modernist mish mash where you could not guess in which region of the world it is located at all.

I like it because its a contemporary design but with roots.
Old August 24th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #80
foxmulder_ms

Likes (Received): 21

Kyoto's is really nice.
foxmulder_ms no está en línea   Reply With Quote