daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > New South Wales

Old August 6th, 2003, 10:41 AM   #1
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

#Projects & Discussion | HURSTVILLE

There seems to be a fair amount of residential development and some commercial developments could be on the way for this rapidly growing suburban centre in the south.

The following developments are proposed at present

*An apartment tower of around ten storeys at the Corner of Butler St and Ormonde Parade on the former Commonwealth Bank site (My orthodontist had his surgery above the bank and has moved to the office tower up the street with it's sweeping views of Botany Bay)
*ACCOR Site - major residential development of several towers
*Georgia - Residential development in Pearl St of several towers
*Super Centre Redevelopment & Station Upgrade
*Masterplan is being drawn up which could signal in towers of up to 30 storeys.

Good times ahead with several scrapers in the pipeline. Another Chatswood could be on the way.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 7th, 2003, 11:37 AM   #2
finn

Likes (Received): 657

Here are some renderings of the first stages of Georgia, which are currently under construction:

And here is a model for the overall development on the site, which will comprise 200+ apartments, and about 11,000 sq.m of commercial space.

The more detailed buildings on the model (the white buildings) are the stages that are currently being built, and the buildings next to it are the later stages, including the taller building which will be 14 storeys.

finn está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2003, 01:04 PM   #3
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 1628

view of hurstville skyline from Sydney Tower in June!
shows the ridge of scrapers that extend for 2km.

Old August 7th, 2003, 02:45 PM   #4
Fabian

The ACCOR development will mean that that part of the skyline would not appear in that image posted by Culwulla. It's just getting longer and longer by the year unlike many other regional centres which reach up for the heavens and densify instead.

And Finn, has there been a change in ownership at Domenlli Ford? They don't even mention Hurstville in it's radio ad? Has it been renamed?

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old August 7th, 2003, 03:20 PM   #5
finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Fabian
The ACCOR development will mean that that part of the skyline would not appear in that image posted by Culwulla. It's just getting longer and longer by the year unlike many other regional centres which reach up for the heavens and densify instead.

And Finn, has there been a change in ownership at Domenlli Ford? They don't even mention Hurstville in it's radio ad? Has it been renamed?
Dominelli Ford is now located in the shire - Kirrawee to be precise.

I think the Hurstville dealership became Dominelli Prestige Volvo? But it won't last long as the site gets developed.

Originally, a large part of the development was intended to be a new showroom, but I don't know if they still have that intention.
Old August 7th, 2003, 09:33 PM   #6
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 18

Gee, this sort of residential architectural style seems to be dominating the Southern suburbs A.T.M. - from Wally Creek to Alexandria to the Hurstville vicinity.

So different to (generally speaking) those either built or planned for the Western suburbs which tend to be Meritonia copies even! Those of the upper Northern suburbs tend to be lower rise versions of North Coast developments.
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2003, 09:51 PM   #7
Fabian

Quote:
Originally posted by finn
Dominelli Ford is now located in the shire - Kirrawee to be precise.

I think the Hurstville dealership became Dominelli Prestige Volvo? But it won't last long as the site gets developed.

Originally, a large part of the development was intended to be a new showroom, but I don't know if they still have that intention.
I remember that they going to relocate the dealership just across the road at the base of Forest Ridge Apartments but decided to have retail instead.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old August 11th, 2003, 03:28 AM   #8
Fabian

Here is a rendering for the nine storey apartment tower being built in Ormonde Parade. It will be about the same height as the other buildings lining the street including the SES building next door.

It would of stuck out if it were another three storeys taller.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks

Last edited by Fabian; August 30th, 2003 at 02:10 AM.
Old August 30th, 2003, 02:12 AM   #9
Fabian

The Leader is suggesting that Hurstville Council wants to annex the Kogarah controlled part of the Hurstville CBD. This could be beneficial to the Super Centre redevelopment, which the council is lobbying for.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old November 11th, 2003, 11:22 AM   #10
finn

Well, no good news here!

The Leader today reports that council has developed their DCP for the huge AMCOR site, on the edge of the Hurstville CBD, and that they want to restrict development to heights of only 4-8 storeys.

Meanwhile, the owners of the land are furious, since they purchased the site last year because of its development potential, with the intention of building 1000 units, with towers up to a height of 20 storeys on the site.

The DCP looks set to go before council on November 19th, so we'll just have to wait and see how this turns out I guess. But I swear they are so ignorant of town planning and development principles!

Councillor Joanne Morris says that controls are needed to protect Hurstville from massive-scale developments! WTF?!?!

Meanwhile, the Hurstville Chamber of Commerce president seems to think that 1000 units = 3000 more people...which is absolutely ridiculous - I think you'd be hard pressed to find an area in Sydney where there are more than about 20% of apartments that have 3+ people in them!

I'm so fucking sick of ultra-conservative local government councils!!!
Old November 11th, 2003, 12:16 PM   #11
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

Likes (Received): 19

4-8 down from 20
Thats a big change I would be feeling ripped off too
Old November 11th, 2003, 08:01 PM   #12
Fabian

The towers would look very overpowering for the eastern end of the suburb which I believe is the cause of the councils concerns. It is very well located in regards to public transport. You could even walk to Allawah Station if you wished.

But i'd like to see more before making a final opinion.

And the councillor should be aware that Hurstville wants to be up there when it comes to being a major Sydney centre, there needs to be some big developments occuring within the suburb like the supercentre development

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old November 26th, 2003, 09:06 PM   #13
Fabian

Bad news from the council meeting last week for the developers with the council restricting the scale to which the site can be developed. They ain't too happy.

And thats all I know as The Leader did not go into it too much.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old December 11th, 2003, 06:35 AM   #14
Fabian

D/A for three tower office complex next to Westfield to be lodged with council next week!!!

The site bounded by Humpheries lane, Park Rd & The Avenue is currently home to a carpark and youth centre. A nine storey tower is to be built on The Avenue, six storey tower on Park Rd and a five storey tower in humpheries lane. A public carpark will be built on site to replace the existing spaces and the youth centre will relocate to Tracey St. The buildings will be about the same height as the adjoining Westfield.

It has been dubbed as the biggest commercial development in a decade!!!!

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old December 11th, 2003, 06:41 AM   #15
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 1628

Quote:
Originally posted by Fabian
D/A for three tower office complex next to Westfield to be lodged with council next week!!!

The site bounded by Humpheries lane, Park Rd & The Avenue is currently home to a carpark and youth centre. A nine storey tower is to be built on The Avenue, six storey tower on Park Rd and a five storey tower in humpheries lane. A public carpark will be built on site to replace the existing spaces and the youth centre will relocate to Tracey St. The buildings will be about the same height as the adjoining Westfield.

It has been dubbed as the biggest commercial development in a decade!!!!
9,6 & 5 storeys i wouldnt call towers, maybe lowrise office structures. what a bummer! we want more 12st+ scrapers!
Old December 14th, 2003, 06:03 AM   #16
Fabian

The Illawarra Catholic Club has joined in the development bandwagon, announcing plans to expand the club by building a six storey building in Crofts St, next to their existing premises. This would mean a fifty year old four/five storey building would have to be knocked down, which may anger locals.

And as for the AMCOR site, it's been pretty quiet as of late.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old December 22nd, 2003, 03:01 AM   #17
Fabian

New Scraper Proposed for Hurstville!!!

A 12 storey residential scraper along with a seven storey residential tower is proposed for Woodville St. They are trying to secure 1 Barrat St, which is home to a council toilet block to enable the development to proceed.

Here's an envelope for the site. The taller tower would be about the same height as the 13 storey McMahon Plaza. I notice too what appears to a building McMahon St next to McMahon Plaza for another 12 storey scraper which appears to have been approved by the council. So does that mean another scraper on the way too?

I've also checked council minutes regarding the commercial development next to Westfield but nothing was mentioned in relation to it.

I bet Culwulla has a grin on his face after reading this!!!!

And for me, I'm absolutely gobsmacked by all this. I never thought there would never be so many proposals. Hurstville is on the verge of a transformation that will completely change the face of the place forever.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old December 22nd, 2003, 06:43 AM   #18
finn

Wow, thanks for the newsflash Fab! Where did you get this info from? Is it on the council website?

I've always wondered when details would come forward about the the 1 Barratt St + "Lucky Towers" Development site! A developer purchased the Lucky Towers building a couple of years ago, and said that in good time he would propose a suitable development for the site! Excellent stuff!!

Also, the three building commercial development on The Avenue/Humphreys Lane/Park St can be seen on public exhibition in model form at the council's planning counter (the former library building, before the new library was built on Queen St).

It looks like a really cool little complex actually, with 15,000+ sqm of commercial space proposed in a very glassy/contemporary design - in fact, the council decided that the proposal was too glassy, and asked that a huge curved expanse of glass be broken down a bit so as not to disorientate the nature of the streetscape.

Anyway, very cool to see this all happening!
Old December 22nd, 2003, 07:04 AM   #19
Fabian

I got those renderings from the council website where details of meetings are published. The proposal for the residential towers was mentioned in the council meeting of December 17. The office towers were also supposed to be mentioned but mysteriously did not appear.

Here's the link to the minutes of council meetings

http://203.147.192.214/PageZone_BusinessPapers.asp

I will be checking this from time to time as to keep people informed of any new proposals.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old December 22nd, 2003, 07:56 AM   #20
finn

The other development indicated in the rendering of the 1 Barrat St/18-22 Woodville St proposal is located at 29-31 MacMahon St, on the Church of Christ site.

The proposal is for an expanded church and related facilities, topped by commercial levels only (no residential). Because of the height of the lower church levels, and the the upper floors consisting of office space, the end height will be of only 10 storeys - however I think it will provide a fine additon to the building form and streetscape of the area!

The end development will produce much expanded church facilities on the lower two levels, a public space/forecourt related to the church, and office levels above totalling approx. 2832 sqm of office space, occupied wholly by church administration.

Here are some pics, with the 1 Barratt St development evident in the background:

Model view from MacMahon St:

Building envelope:

Perspective view rendering - looks excellent!!:

Tags
sydney