daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2016, 07:30 PM   #261
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5752

"Cincinnati Has a Streetcar Problem"

http://www.citylab.com/commute/2016/...roblem/510143/

dimlys1994, geometarkv liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2016, 03:20 AM   #262
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

"Don’t panic about the streetcar just yet"

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/opin...-yet/95360950/

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old December 14th, 2016, 08:36 AM   #263
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

This is what happens when you sink all your money into a vanity project built solely to impress rival cities and ribbon cutting ceremonies as opposed to building a system which transit users can actually benefit from. All the money used to build this line could have been instead used to create a far superior current system of BRT-lite, with light priority, bus-lanes, new buses, and of course better service.

Now they have a line which few are using but will suck dry the operational funds for the transit system as a whole. Shameful.

Falubaz liked this post
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2016, 09:30 PM   #264
Yak79

Likes (Received): 2176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
"Cincinnati Has a Streetcar Problem"

http://www.citylab.com/commute/2016/...roblem/510143/
It happened exactly what I feared: disappointed by the lingering flaws, several potential riders simply gave up on actually using the streetcar and this, added to the natural seasonal drop, leads to a shattering November with 1˙664 pass/day on average*, well under the previous results (-46% on the October data) and the projections (-42%).
The main suspect behind this downturn is the lack of reliability (erratic headway, irregular schedule, not working real-time arrival time screens, etc.), since first five revenue service weeks with a heavy, though slightly declining, ridership can't be explained by only the charm of novelty (which ends more quickly) and suggests it's not a matter of errors in route design or lack of demand. The worst thing is that first impressions are crucial in users judgment and therefore a bad reputation might stick to the line even once (if ever) flaws will be eventually fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post

Now they have a line which few are using but will suck dry the operational funds for the transit system as a whole. Shameful.
This is merely the usual lobbying deception against these projects from "bullshit&exaggeration department": how in the world could a streetcar which operating expenses are estimated at around $ 4,2 million a year suck dry the operational funds for a transit agency with a $ 93,7 million large budget? Even if it ran free-of-charge or empty and was fully charged on SORTA purse, which is not the case, it wouldn't “waste” more than 5% of Cincinnati metro area transit funds.

Moreover, nowadays SORTA spends that amount of money for a systemwide average ridership of about 41˙800 pass/day* (see the latest APTA figures), which means a $ 6,12 cost for each UTP (Unlinked Passenger Trip). Among those $ 93,7 million, $ 60 million comes from public fund ($ 3,92 per UPT).
Considering the streetcar performances in the whole revenue service (opening weekend excluded), and not only the disappointing last month, the ridership was 2˙849 pass/day*, which means a $ 4,04 cost for each UPT; given a farebox revenue of $ 0,65 per UPT (observed so far) and a $ 450˙000 a year from other sources (primarily sponsorship), it's $ 2,94 per UPT from public funds. Therefore, each ride made on the Cincinnati Bell Connector costs less than the average bus service in Cincinnati metro area, both in global terms (-34%) and for taxpayers (-25%).

Even if we unfairly don't take into account anything but the last month, things won't look so bad, despite an obviously reversed outcome, as someone could think, at least in global term: with 1˙664 pass/day*, costs rise to $ 6,92 for each UTP (13% more than the SORTA's average).

* daily average, and not weekday average.

-
- Primo Levi, Se questo č un uomo -

Klausenburg liked this post

Last edited by Yak79; December 14th, 2016 at 10:17 PM.
Yak79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2016, 11:22 PM   #265
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

"SORTA to streetcar operator: Fix it or you're fired"

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...ired/95543354/

Old December 21st, 2016, 12:06 AM   #266
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5958

That doesn't look rosy...
Old December 21st, 2016, 03:43 AM   #267
yeahbabyuhhuh

Likes (Received): 18

Tons of new construction and renovations underway along the streetcar line in Over-the-Rhine. There are currently 700 condos and apartment units and about 15 single-family homes planned to break ground in 2017.

Swede liked this post
yeahbabyuhhuh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2016, 02:39 AM   #268
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

"Walking faster and cheaper than waiting on streetcar"

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/opin...tcar/95686066/

dimlys1994, subbotazh, geometarkv liked this post
Old December 24th, 2016, 01:52 AM   #269
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

"Final Designs Revealed for Long-Envisioned Northside Transit Center"

http://www.urbancincy.com/2016/12/fi...ransit-center/

dimlys1994, jonasry, chambre12, geometarkv liked this post
Old December 26th, 2016, 07:44 AM   #270
yeahbabyuhhuh

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
"Walking faster and cheaper than waiting on streetcar"

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/opin...tcar/95686066/

Umkay. He doesn't work on the streetcar line, he works a 1,200 foot eastward walk from the closest station. The westward turn of the line at 12th works in his favor. If he instead worked 1,200 feet east of the streetcar, walking to and riding the streetcar from that same boarding point would be faster ever time.

On Friday I filmed this Walnut St. streetcar crossing 6th St. When I reached 4th, I saw this same streetcar crossing 4th on Main. So in the time I had walked 800 feet it had traveled 2,800 feet. It obviously had a very lucky run of green lights and I stopped at a red at both 5th and 4th, but nevertheless, it was much faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic685cxYWlU
yeahbabyuhhuh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2016, 06:36 PM   #271
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Update on efforts to bring Amtrak service to Oxford, Ohio

https://csanders429.wordpress.com/20...-the-cardinal/

dimlys1994, emale liked this post
Old January 5th, 2017, 06:03 PM   #272
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

"Oxford, Miami University pledge funds to construct new Amtrak stop"

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/...ew-amtrak-stop

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old January 11th, 2017, 07:56 PM   #273
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

"Streetcar ridership soars on Saturday; falters other days"

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...days/96388666/

dimlys1994, emale liked this post
Old January 12th, 2017, 05:51 PM   #274
taestell

Likes (Received): 206

^ Typical Enquirer anti-streetcar spin. It's below freezing, nobody is going outside and going anywhere! Wait until the spring and ridership numbers will be back up, probably exceeding the 3,000 per day estimate again.
taestell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 06:10 PM   #275
Trupman

Likes (Received): 408

Shouldn't it be the other way round? Like when it's bad weather then people should rather take the streetcar instead of walking. At least that's the impression I get from where I live.

Swede liked this post
Trupman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 01:34 AM   #276
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trupman View Post
Shouldn't it be the other way round? Like when it's bad weather then people should rather take the streetcar instead of walking. At least that's the impression I get from where I live.
Sadly, American cities are auto-centric and everyone drives in them. It's really a shame too.

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 03:29 PM   #277
taestell

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trupman View Post
At the moment, our streetcar isn't primarily a system used for commuting to work (although I do know a lot of people who use it for that purpose). It is primarily used by people getting between different downtown destinations. So when there's nothing happening downtown or people aren't going anywhere, ridership drops. If the system is extended and the planned "Phase 1B" to Uptown is built, far more people will use it for commuting.
taestell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 05:37 PM   #278
Trupman

Likes (Received): 408

I hope you're right and the ridership will increase. At the same time I remain sceptical as I don't really believe that nice weather wil have such great impact.
And to be honest I am not surprised that the ridership is low. I am not surprised at any of the new streetcar "systems" in the USA. The lines are short and very inconvenient.

Lw25 liked this post
Trupman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 11:57 PM   #279
Lw25

Likes (Received): 1263

Expansion is necessary. About year before, one of the cities in my country has their newly built streetcar network opened. That city is smaller then Cincinnati, but network is three times longer (at opening). Year later, they already have chosen plan for expansion which will be build in a next few years. Also, streetcars are separated from cars and have a priority at traffic lights. Press should ask politicians, when the network will expand. Articles about low ridership are pointless.
Lw25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2017, 01:23 PM   #280
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5958

I fully agree, but you have to consider that the pre-existing and supporting PT network in that Polish city was probably much better to begin with. Streetcars or light rails, if done properly can't be viewed without the larger PT context they are integrated in. If however they are poorly integrated or not integrated at all, they can't function as a proper means of transportation anyway.

Also the approach seems to be a different one. Authorities in Europe are usually much more aware that launching a light rail or tram system is a long term commitment and not something one can do successfully by constructing a far too short starter line in the centre and not even planning immediate expansion but judging the whole concept by the success of that short and incomplete starter line. And don't get me started about one way loops.

In short: In the US the response to low ridership of a stub line is usually not "we need to expand it to a proper length with useful destinations and plentiful transfer links to other modes to make it feasible" but " we shouldn't have built anything of it in first place, let's just leave it there to die".

MrAronymous, emale, Natorious, aquaticko liked this post
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote